Goats4ever

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts
  • Joined 20-April 08
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

Can anyone tell me the value of this book?  Real Carroll Shelby autograph.  I bought one in 2009 and am selling.  See below and Pics.  Thanks in advance.  Jim  

Home / Etceterini / Shelby Foundation Offering Signed “Go Like Hell” Books
Shelby Foundation Offering Signed “Go Like Hell” Books

November 17, 2009

Go-Like-Hell-Book-Cover-188x285.jpg?resiThe Carroll Shelby Foundation is offering 66 signed copies of “Go Like Hell – Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans.” The critically acclaimed book tells the remarkable story of how Carroll Shelby helped Henry Ford II, Lee Iacocca and the Ford company defeat mighty Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Each copy being offered by the Foundation has been signed by Carroll Shelby and the book’s author, A.J. Baime.

The books cost $225 each, with all proceeds benefiting the Carroll Shelby Foundation, which provides financial support for children to help overcome life-threatening health issues and promotes continuing education. The signed books are available at CarrollShelbyFoundation.org or by calling (310) 327-5072.

“This is a special book about an important time in American racing history,” said Shelby. “A.J. did an amazing job of telling the story of how we took on the prancing horse and shocked the world in France. Each of these autographed copies is a true collector’s item and will be sold to benefit the Foundation.”

The Foundation is offering 66 signed copies of the book to commemorate Ford’s victory at the 1966 24 Hour of Le Mans. Mark Bechtel of “Sports Illustrated” writes, “One of sports’ greatest grudge matches finally gets the treatment it deserves in A.J. Baime’s dramatic and always entertaining book that’s sure to appeal to anyone who enjoys a good underdog story.”

“My goal with ‘Go Like Hell’ was to remind sports fans of how intense the great Ford and Ferrari rivalry was,” explained Baime. “During my research, I quickly learned that it was the relentless nature of the individuals involved that made the Le Mans win possible. Carroll has continued that approach with his Foundation for nearly 20 years now, which is why I’m proud to partner with him to offer this limited number of signed books.”

[Source: Shelby Foundation]

Attached Files

#2 OFFLINE   SAI-Steven

SAI-Steven

Team Shelby Administrator

• Shelby Staff
  • 1,117 posts
  • Joined 14-December 06
  • Region:Decline

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Jim,

In my opinion it would be difficult to get your 2009 purchase price for this book. Although the GLH book is a good read there just isn't much demand for that book. Kind of like autographed SAAC Registry books, they just don't sell for much as there is no demand.

You also have to keep in mind that although the Foundation said they are selling just 66 signed copies of the book how many Shelby enthusiasts sent their own copy of GLH to the Foundation for an autograph which means there could be many more autographed copies out there.

You could always put it on ebay with a fixed price of what you paid but it might just sit there unsold. Perhaps I'm wrong on that.

I would like to be more optimistic but am just going by what we've seen in the past with autographed Shelby books. Now if you had an autographed GTH or SGT book from that same time-frame you would be in a much better position because of the demand for those books.

Best of luck on the sale and perhaps someone from TS has been looking for this item.

Steve

Register your Shelby at: Shelby American Registry

Order your SAI Registry Certificate at: Shelby Store

PM's turned OFF. Email me at: StevenT@Shelby.com

SAIRegistryCert.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   Goats4ever

Goats4ever

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts
  • Joined 20-April 08
  • Region:Northeast

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Steve.  I really appreciate the time you took to respond.  Happy Holidays to you and your family.  Jim

#4 OFFLINE   SAI-Steven

SAI-Steven

Team Shelby Administrator

• Shelby Staff
  • 1,117 posts
  • Joined 14-December 06
  • Region:Decline

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Steve.  I really appreciate the time you took to respond.  Happy Holidays to you and your family.  Jim

Let's hope I'm wrong on my assessment but for some reason Shelby autographed books & Hot Wheels just don't seem to be in demand.

Wasn't this GLH book going to be made into a movie? Maybe if a movie is made it would increase the interest in the book.

Or was a movie already made from the book and I'm just not recalling it?

Register your Shelby at: Shelby American Registry

Order your SAI Registry Certificate at: Shelby Store

PM's turned OFF. Email me at: StevenT@Shelby.com

SAIRegistryCert.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   Al G.

Al G.

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 668 posts
  • Joined 03-January 10
  • Region:South Atlantic
  • Interests:.
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

You might also want to consider that people were willing to pay $225 originally because the money was supporting the foundation and that made them feel good. There's no additional motivation in putting $225 or more in your pocket.
Al

CSX6045 - Intense Blue Pearl, 468 ci Shelby aluminum engine, 550 hp, 5-speed Tremec
2013 GTS, 13GTS0032, Gotta Have it Green, black stripes and wheels, rear wide body, naturally aspirated 5.0, automatic

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   66GT350PS

66GT350PS

Team Shelby Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,616 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Travel, car shows, driving and restoration of Mustangs.
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

One other consideration is the massive number of items that CS signed for years for fans before the Foundation and than after the Foundation was started.  He used to go into the office and sign posters and collectibles by the hundreds every week. At shows, I assisted him on a number of occasions during his signing hundreds of items for hours.  He loved the fans and relished raising funds for the Foundation.

There are a few people that now that never had the opportunity to acquire a signature or even meet him, so there might be a small market for the new collectors.  Best offer on eBay is probably the best way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users