Secondo

Stangs Unleashed and Team Shelby Member since 2006

• Northeast Region
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06
  • Region:Northeast
  • Interests:Raising my 3 boys!!

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

I removed items from trunk. No need to remove the Shaker 1000 bass box. I used a small flathead screwdriver, 7/16 ratcheting wrench, pliars and a clean rag.

Posted Image

I removed one plastic wingnut from upper area directly behind each taillight:

Posted Image

I used a small flathead screwdriver to carefully remove the 4 plastic pins from the trim panel and removed the panel:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

Next, I removed the taillight assembly washer nuts (3 from each side, see illustration below) behind the taillights with an 11mm or 7/16 wrench. A deep-socket didn't work but the bolts are very long and there's not alot of clearance between the rigid carpet and the outboard nuts- and also the Shaker 1000 bass box will be very close. I used a ratcheting wrench. I was careful with the rubber gaskets under the washer nuts for re-use during installation later.

Posted Image

A ratcheting wrench (the one on top) worked much faster:

Posted Image

I unplugged the harnesses:

Posted Image

I carefully removed the taillamp assembly while removing the taillight harness rubber grommet from the body:

Posted Image

I removed the original electrical harness by unscrewing each socket counter-clockwise.

Posted Image

Next, I swapped all the bulbs from the old harness to the new. Then I installed the new electrical harness by screwing in each socket clockwise. Mine were numbered. Starting with #1 in the inboard, #2 in the middle and #3 in the outboard position. I didn't forget the backup lamps! My backup sockets were very tight. I needed pliers with a rag wrapped around it to lock them in.

Posted Image

I carefully brought the taillamp assembly close to it's install point on the body. I inserted the harness through the hole in the body and pushed the rubber grommet around the body completely around so it is flush on both sides. I then pushed the taillamp assembly bolts through the mounting holes very carefully:

Posted Image

I threaded on one bolt per taillamp assembly to test my sequential system before putting everything back together. I then plugged back in each harness before testing.

Each side lit up starting from the inboard lamp continuing to the outboard one. When braking, after the sequence, all 6 lamps were fully on. Smile on my face!!

I then finished putting on all the nuts on the taillamp assemblies. After that was done, then the trim panel by pushing in the plastic pins. Done! :happy feet:

This is a mod I love to see on Mustangs!! :)

My Sequential Taillights In Action

Edited by secondo, 02 January 2009 - 06:11 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   chuckstang

chuckstang

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,445 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

what brand did you go with and do your tail lights do their cool in-to-out sequence when you lock and unlock your car with the key fob?

thanks
Posted Image

Ford Shelby GT500- Modified

#4 OFFLINE   stargazer423

stargazer423

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 14-May 08

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

Ya know, americanmuscle.com has instructions for installing these lights on their website, with pictures.
2008 GT500 Convertible in Vista Blue (THE fastest color)

#5 OFFLINE   msw.63

msw.63

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Joined 01-November 07
  • Region:Other

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

what brand did you go with and do your tail lights do their cool in-to-out sequence when you lock and unlock your car with the key fob?

thanks

I went with the one on American Muscle, and the taillight does sequence when locking, but I don't remember them doing it when unlocking. As an aside, I have the Shaker 1000 and was also able to install without moving it, but it was a little tricky.
Mike (photo is from Forward Operating Base in the Laghman Province in Afghanistan from JAN 2008)

2008 GT500 Red w/Black Stripes Ordered on 2/5/08 @ MSRP
Premium Interior
Charcoal w/ Red Inserts
HID Headlamps
Ambient Lighting
Sirius Satellite
Shaker 1000

VIN received on: 2/29/2008
Receipt Date: 2/6/2008
Serialize Date: 2/21/2008
Segment Date: 2/21/2008
Sequence Date: 3/4/2008
Blend Date: 3/12/2008
Produced Date: 3/20/2008
Gate Release Date: 4/10/2008
Ship Date: 4/12/2008
Arrival Date: 4/21/2008
Sold Date: 4/26/2008

#6 OFFLINE   dragpack70

dragpack70

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Joined 08-August 08
  • Interests:Cars and bikes.

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

The sequential harness I recently received from MRT (instead of the Dynamite Sticks I was expecting), looks just like secondo's. When I lock, they are only able to light the inner and middle segments, with the outer segments staying dark, due to the short duration of that flash. The turnsignal and emergency flasher flashes are longer in duration and both allow full sequencing of all three tail light panels.

The unlock only turns the parking lamps on, so no sequential action there.

I also had to move the grommet out a couple of inches to get it to the hole in the tail panel without really stressing the wire to the tail light sockets.

Randy

02/2008 GT500 Vapor & Ebony Coupe with a KoRect muffler/tip upgrade

#7 OFFLINE   Hisssss

Hisssss

Fox body lover......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-February 08

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for the write up and pics Secondo, I'm sure it looks sick. H.
2007 Alloy Metallic, stripe delete, LoJack
Silver Horse Racing mirrors, sequential tail lights, billet interior trim pieces
SPP center pod, Speed of Sound pillar pod w/Raptor
Super Snake hood
Upper & lower scoops
Ford Blue cam covers
Steeda-Tri-Ax with GrabberPony ball, springs, CAI, 2.6" pulley.
20" Razors with 10.5 in the rear / Toyo 255/35/20s-305/30/20s
Stillen drilled & slotted rotors
JBA LT & 3" exhaust
BMR K-member
FRPP 3.73's
JLT Brake Duct kit / SPP inlet rings
Posted Image

As of June 15 08---543.6 rwhp / 600rwtq
Body Count......so far.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Smashing almost anything on the street....... Priceless.

More than happy to provide advice to folks that dont need it...or want it.

#8 OFFLINE   ilmor

ilmor

ilmor

• Northeast Region
  • 11,554 posts
  • Joined 04-May 07
  • Interests:Shelby GT's (what else), Guitar, Camping in my RV, auto racing, autocross, car shows

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:16 AM

Secondo, nice write-up and pics! It must've been a little chilly outside while you were doing this...
2007 Shelby GT CSM# 07SGT1917 - the "Garage Queen"

Performance White, Hurst 5-Speed, Premium Package

Shelby 4.6L Racing Valve Covers ,Shelby Turbo Mufflers, Shelby GT Brake Duct Kit, "S" snake faux gas cap, Carroll Shelby autographed dash, Improved Shelby GT hood scoop replaced by Tasca Mod Shop, Craig's Custom License Plate Bracket, Baer GT Rotors, Hawk HP Plus Pads, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Hi Temp Brake Fluid, J&M Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms, J&M Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race) ...

2013 Mustang GT Premium - the "Daily Driver"

Black / Black & Glass Roof, 6-Speed SelectShift, Sync, NAV, Interior Upgrade.....

#9 OFFLINE   brianspony

brianspony

Team Shelby Member

• Northeast Region
  • 1,857 posts
  • Joined 04-August 06
  • Interests:Driving my 66 Coupe and Alloy 07 Shelby.

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:46 AM

Nice right-up Sean, but one thing I noticed. You have Craftsman screwdrivers, but your wrench is Taiwan??? :hysterical: How long did it take you?

#10 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:54 AM

A couple things I found very interesting during this install: I found a harness that was not being used on the passenger side of the trunk. Since I don't have the Shaker 1000, it may be for the bass box which I was pleased to see in case I ever wanted to install it:

Posted Image

The next thing I found interesting was that Ford still chose to install the dual-filament bulbs in the inboard position on the taillamp assembly even though the "full on" brake and turn signal function on that position wasn't being used in stock form, only the park light from that position. So, when swapping the bulbs from the old harness to the new one, you don't have to go out to buy the correct bulbs! Thanks, Ford!! :happy feet:

Sequential Taillight Function

Edited by secondo, 02 January 2009 - 06:08 AM.

#11 ONLINE   shelbymotorsports

shelbymotorsports

SAI Registry Supervisor

• 6,737 posts
  • Joined 12-November 07
  • Region:Decline

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:43 AM

Next, I removed the taillight assembly washer nuts (3 from each side, see illustration below) behind the taillights with an 11mm or 7/16 wrench. A deep-socket didn't work but the bolts are very long and there's not alot of clearance between the rigid carpet and the outboard nuts-

Posted Image

There is a bolt towards the top of the carpet panel holding the carpet panel down on each side of the car. Removing this bolt gives you lots of extra room to reach the tail light nuts.

Also its best to use some 3M Strip-Calk (part #08578) around the studs closest to the tail light assembly to keep moisture out of the trunk. It doesn't have to be the 3M stuff as places like NAPA sell it under their house brand name.

Steve

Register your Shelby at: Shelby American Registry

Order your SAI Registry Certificate at: Shelby Store

PM's turned OFF. Email me at: StevenT@ShelbyAmerican.com

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

Secondo, nice write-up and pics! It must've been a little chilly outside while you were doing this...

Oh yeah it was very chilly on Dec. 26th!! But, i've been looking forward to this for a long time.

#13 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

Nice right-up Sean, but one thing I noticed. You have Craftsman screwdrivers, but your wrench is Taiwan??? :hysterical: How long did it take you?

LOL the box wrench is also a Craftsman and I think I got the ratcheting wrench set from Walmart for $6! I wouldn't put much torque on them but they did the job for this install. It took about an hour in the freezing cold, being very careful and taking pics!

Edited by secondo, 02 January 2009 - 11:36 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   SexyStang

SexyStang

Bringin "Sexy" Back!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,814 posts
  • Joined 26-February 07
  • Interests:Fast Cars (All Mustangs), Racing, Baseball, Summertime, Spending time with Friends and Walks on the Beach! :)

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

Cool now I get to drive the Shelby........ :yup: :peelout: :burnout: while you're too busy following and staring at your first Mod...... :dreamy: :rolleyes:

:hysterical2:

Edited by sexystang, 02 January 2009 - 07:00 PM.

It was time to let go of my 2004 Mustang we shared a good ride but the time has finally come to choose an even greater ride with my new 2011 Mustang GT 5.0!!!

420 hp Sweeeeeeeeeeet - Let's get ready to rumble!!!

1/4 Mile 13.12 @ Best 109.76 MPH Bone Stock!!

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Alexandros

Alexandros

SAI Registrar Shelby GT 500

• Team Shelby Registrar
  • 3,738 posts
  • Joined 23-January 07

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

NIce mod..they do look nice.... :happy feet:

#16 OFFLINE   09KR0058

09KR0058

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 913 posts
  • Joined 16-April 09
  • Interests:09KR0058

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

Awesome secondo! Thank you so much for taking the time to detail this install. I'm ordering my kit right now!!!!
2009 GT500KR CSM 09KR0058
2010 F150 Lariat Supercrew

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   chuckstang

chuckstang

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,445 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:47 AM

I had this mod done by my dealer but they must not have CAREFULLY as "secondo" mentioned removed the assembly because I have some good size scratches on the rear bumper under the tail lights.

It is sort of in an inconspicuous area but they are bad.

So do be careful, I wish I had just done it myself :(

I love locking my car though and seeing the tail lights sequence out!
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

Awesome secondo! Thank you so much for taking the time to detail this install. I'm ordering my kit right now!!!!

I'm happy that it helped you! :)

See my motive- the more people that I can help with the installation, the more chances that there will be a Mustang with this mod that I can enjoy because I can't see my own taillights when driving! :happy feet:
:hysterical2:

#19 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

I had this mod done by my dealer but they must not have CAREFULLY as "secondo" mentioned removed the assembly because I have some good size scratches on the rear bumper under the tail lights.

It is sort of in an inconspicuous area but they are bad.

So do be careful, I wish I had just done it myself :(

I love locking my car though and seeing the tail lights sequence out!

You seem to have bad luck with the installs. I try to do everything on the car myself. If I can't install it, it's not going on the car! The sequential taillights were a must-do for me. I remember as a kid I couldn't wait to see a Cougar or T-Bird brake or turn- I thought it was so cool!!

#20 OFFLINE   chuckstang

chuckstang

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,445 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

Ya good ford dealers are tough to find

I was able to buff them out so even I can barely see them so no biggy, just well you know how it is, a scratch does more than ruin your day with black!
Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   BanditSRT8

BanditSRT8

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 479 posts
  • Joined 05-May 08

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

Excellent writeup!

Still one of my favorite mods. Unfortunately, I never get to see mine in action since I don't let anyone drive my car.

Edited by BanditSRT8, 09 June 2009 - 09:51 PM.

Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   GOTSVT?

GOTSVT?

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 298 posts
  • Joined 12-March 09

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:30 AM

This may be my next mod, do you have a link to this kit?

#23 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:47 AM

This may be my next mod, do you have a link to this kit?

Shelby Sequential Kit

#24 OFFLINE   ingram4868

ingram4868

Team Shelby Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts
  • Joined 05-September 05
  • Region:Pacific Coast
  • Interests:Love of God, Family and Great Cars

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:27 AM

While we can't see them while driving I do enjoy the expression on faces of people behind my car at stop signs.

I used the webelectric.com lights. The brake light action is also cool. The 3rd light comes on and the tail lights sequence from the center outward then stay solid.
David Ingram
Sparks, NV.
Newest addition 1100 mile 2007 GT500

#25 OFFLINE   09KR0058

09KR0058

Team Shelby Member

• South Atlantic Region
  • 913 posts
  • Joined 16-April 09
  • Interests:09KR0058

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

Got the kit from WebElectric and installed it last night. Thanks again to secondo for all the detail photos at the top of this thread. I looked through them quite a few times, so when it came time to install the new harnesses, it only took me about 20 minutes, start to finish.

Also, thanks to Steve for adding the point about the bolt on each side holding the carpet up. Removing them did make it much easier to get to the outside tail light nuts.

Sequential Tail Lights In Action!

Is that sweet or what?

One thing that does concern me a little. On each tail light, the nuts that hold them in have some type of bucket-shaped rubber washers. When I removed the nuts, the bottom of the washers fall apart. Here's what one of them looks like (the nut is upside-down in this picture, so you're looking at the bottom of it):
Posted Image
If you look closely, you can see the remains of the bottom part of the washer on the bottom of the nut. The sides are the consistency of play-dough. I'm guessing that these washers were only meant to be used once. I'm temporarily using some flat rubber washers that will hopefully keep any moisture out of the trunk. Does anyone know exactly what those original washers are called, and if I can buy them without having to go to the dealership? Or is there some other way to seal those nuts so that no moisture gets in the trunk?

Again, a million thanks to secondo for all the effort in posting those pics and the detail steps. If you are ever in Marietta (NE suburb of Atlanta), I owe you a round of brewskis!

John

Edited by 09KR0058, 13 June 2009 - 03:03 PM.

2009 GT500KR CSM 09KR0058
2010 F150 Lariat Supercrew

Posted Image

#26 OFFLINE   smallb69

smallb69

Team Shelby New Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts
  • Joined 20-August 07

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

Got the kit from WebElectric and installed it last night. Thanks again to secondo for all the detail photos at the top of this thread. I looked through them quite a few times, so when it came time to install the new harnesses, it only took me about 20 minutes, start to finish.

Also, thanks to Steve for adding the point about the bolt on each side holding the carpet up. Removing them did make it much easier to get to the outside tail light nuts.

Is that sweet or what?

One thing that does concern me a little. On each tail light, the nuts that hold them in have some type of bucket-shaped rubber washers. When I removed the nuts, the bottom of the washers fall apart. Here's what one of them looks like (the nut is upside-down in this picture, so you're looking at the bottom of it):
Posted Image
If you look closely, you can see the remains of the bottom part of the washer on the bottom of the nut. The sides are the consistency of play-dough. I'm guessing that these washers were only meant to be used once. I'm temporarily using some flat rubber washers that will hopefully keep any moisture out of the trunk. Does anyone know exactly what those original washers are called, and if I can buy them without having to go to the dealership? Or is there some other way to seal those nuts so that no moisture gets in the trunk?

Again, a million thanks to secondo for all the effort in posting those pics and the detail steps. If you are ever in Marietta (NE suburb of Atlanta), I owe you a round of brewskis!

John

The black putty can be re-used. Roll it between your fingers until it is about an inch long. Then wrap it around the bottom side of the nut. When you tighten it down it will compress and provide a seal.

Edited by smallb69, 13 June 2009 - 07:29 PM.

'07 GT 500 White w/Blue Stripes

• Steeda CAI, Tune & Pulley w/auxillary idler pulley (working towards a Jon Lund tune real soon)
  • '08 Balancer
  • Evolution One Piece Driveshaft & Safety Loop
  • Bassani Full Length Headers w/complete 3" exhaust including off road pipes
  • Revan Racing Radiator & Dual Fan Heat Exchanger-Water Wetter in both
  • Revan Racing Coolant, Intercooler & Power Steering Reservoirs
  • Griggs Power Steering Cooler
  • Hoosier 285/30-18 R6s front & rear for the track on spare set of stock rims
  • AP Racing 6 Piston front & 4 Piston rear brakes w/Hawk DTC pads
  • AP 600 Hi-Temp Brake Fluid
  • FRPP Front Brake Cooling Ducts
  • Shelby Brake Duct Bezels
  • Shelby GT 500 Hood Pins
  • Steeda Tri-Axe Shifter w/Hurst Lever and Custom Grabber Pony 'cue ball'
  • Mustang Project LED Sequential Taillights
  • Ultimate Pedals Deluxe Aluminum Pedal Set
  • DDM Tuning HIDs-headlights and foglights
  • Sparco Evo 3 Seats
  • Schroth 6 pt. Harnesses
  • Maximum Motorsports Roll Bar w/Harness Bar & Cross Brace

And last but not least........

• A whole slew of Steeda Suspension parts.....coil overs on the front, adjustable on the rear, front & rear sway bars & end links, upr & lower control arms.....blah, blah, blah.....wish I had thought this one out a little more. Better than stock, but could have been better overall.

#27 OFFLINE   Stalwart

Stalwart

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Joined 01-January 09
  • Region:Pacific Coast

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:53 PM

I just put the puddy back where it can crush and seal again and put 'em back in.

OOPS, beaten to the punch :D

Edited by Stalwart, 13 June 2009 - 07:53 PM.

Loving the new '09 KR!
Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Team Shelby Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Joined 14-May 06

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

Nice write ups, guys!

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the taillight sequence cycle when the brake pedal is depressed, or does it only go from inboard -> outboard once per each brake activation?

2. Does the sequence work with the turn signals too?

Thanks for posting the videos. This is a great looking mod. :rockon:

Paul

2007 Shelby GT500 Coupe
Tungsten/Satin Silver
Interior Upgrade
Shaker 1000

#1,082 of 8,152 2007 GT500 Coupe's

#65 of 384 2007 GT500 coupes in Tungsten (52 with Interior Upgrade option; 363 with stripes)

Griggs Rear Suspension:
Watts Link
Torque Arm
Sway Bar
Lower Control Arms
Coil-Overs

SPEC Super Twin clutch set - SS-Trim (SFG5SST)
JLT CAI and Evolution tune
Corsa Axle Backs
S-H-E-L-B-Y across decklid
Carroll Shelby signed dash plaque w/certificate
Midwest Auto Gear side mirror covers

#29 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

Nice write ups, guys!

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the taillight sequence cycle when the brake pedal is depressed, or does it only go from inboard -> outboard once per each brake activation?

2. Does the sequence work with the turn signals too?

Thanks for posting the videos. This is a great looking mod. :rockon:

Paul

Brake function cycles the sequential system once then all bulbs stay fully on. It cycles continuously with each turn signal 'flash.'

I found a video of a complete demonstration of the sequential taillight functions:

Complete Sequential Taillight Function Demo Video

#30 OFFLINE   Secondo

Secondo

• Northeast Region
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

Is that sweet or what?

Posted Image

John

John,

Glad to help you out!! :happy feet: I like your solution with the rubber washers. I installed my sequential system when the temp was at about 25* F, it was cold- my washers stayed together ok so I reused them. Keep up the good work! :rockon:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users