Jump to content
Mongoose

Car Guys ( & Gals ) talkin’ cars & stuff

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, svtkeith said:

 

Tes……….:thumbsup: ……...Enjoying the new Stang ?...……..:shift:

Hey Keefer, it’s Tes, alias “Kermit”!!   :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, svtkeith said:

 

Gorgeous Mustang!!…..yeah no kidding how does that work not to mention it looks like crap.....:nonono:

Hey guys, being I’ve owned two mach 1s with rim blow steering wheels and I’ve also bought and sold a few too in the past, there known for cracking in the heat, wood graining wearing off and also in a number of cases the thin rubber around the rim for pressing and blowing the horn dries out and becomes hard and even melts to a point some times.  So I guess in defense of it being wrapped, that possibly could be the issue too.  Real good ones are usually hard to come by and they bring a good coin, but their a definite plus to have in the “Stock Class” when showing.  Also, the 69 & 70 steering wheel pads or inserts are interchangeable, but definitely different too, I’ve seen the wrong combination a few times in the past.  If you ever run across a “Complete” NOS steering wheel and pad for a 69 or 70 Mach 1 at a cheap price that would be a rare find indeed..   J.M.O.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tesgt350 said:

Loving it.  I'm still getting used to the Turbo and the funny thing is, If I drive it easy and at the Speed Limits, the Gas Millage SUCKS (19 to 22) but if I drive hard with my Foot in it, I get 26 to 31, very strange.

 

Hey Tes, a 2.0 Eco-boost in (Sport Mode) with paddle shifters can be kind of fun at times, especially on take off, just saying!  At least in my Ford Edge it is..   :rating:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tesgt350 said:

Loving it.  I'm still getting used to the Turbo and the funny thing is, If I drive it easy and at the Speed Limits, the Gas Millage SUCKS (19 to 22) but if I drive hard with my Foot in it, I get 26 to 31, very strange.

 

 

Well there you go just tell the cop that stops you for speeding that you're just driving fast to save on gas....:shrug: ...bet he buys that......:doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Tes, a 2.0 Eco-boost in (Sport Mode) with paddle shifters can be kind of fun at times, especially on take off, just saying!  At least in my Ford Edge it is..   :rating:

2.3 Goose 2.3...….GET IT RIGHT...…….  :censored:

 

 

:hysterical2:

 

:rockon:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, svtkeith said:

 

Well there you go just tell the cop that stops you for speeding that you're just driving fast to save on gas....:shrug: ...bet he buys that...…:doh:

Well, If I get pulled over, I WAS planning to say "Because I let you" when asked if I knew why I was being pulled over...…………..:hysterical:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning to all!!

 

Tes, we purchased an EB with 10 speed auto for wife when she wrecked her 06 GT convertible.  Its a fun car to drive but we get great mileage in it.

It is a 2018 premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Tes, a 2.0 Eco-boost in (Sport Mode) with paddle shifters can be kind of fun at times, especially on take off, just saying!  At least in my Ford Edge it is..   :rating:

That’s your wife’s Edge .... ...that’s not hot rod Lincoln bud.....:peelout:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another mach 1 for your viewing pleasure. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, svtkeith said:

 

Well there you go just tell the cop that stops you for speeding that you're just driving fast to save on gas....:shrug: ...bet he buys that......:doh:

Hey Keefer, that was pretty good for a “Newbie”!!!     :hysterical:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tesgt350 said:

Well, If I get pulled over, I WAS planning to say "Because I let you" when asked if I knew why I was being pulled over...…………..:hysterical:

Excellent comeback, Kermit...    :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Another mach 1 for your viewing pleasure. 

 

:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Tes, sorry I wasn’t trying to confuse you.  I was just really trying to point out that even my 2018 Edge 2.0 engine is pretty quick for being so small of a displacement and it is at times quite fun to drive...    :thumbsup:    Yes bud, I do know you have the 2.3  Eco-boost in  “KERMIT”!!     :hysterical:

Yeah, and that Edge is not that small of a Vehicle OR that Light and to have just a 2.0 in it amazes me.  Does make me wonder if that little Engine driving that size of a Vehicle will last 150,000 Miles or better without major Service or Rebuild.  I like the Edge, I am trying to get my Dad to buy one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tesgt350 said:

Yeah, and that Edge is not that small of a Vehicle OR that Light and to have just a 2.0 in it amazes me.  Does make me wonder if that little Engine driving that size of a Vehicle will last 150,000 Miles or better without major Service or Rebuild.  I like the Edge, I am trying to get my Dad to buy one.

Hey Tes, in 2015 we bought a new Edge and loved it.  Well in 2018 my wife and I went down to the Ford Dealer to check-out the new Eco-boost Mustangs where a good buddy of mine  has worked for a very long time.  He just happens to own a mint 69 Boss 302 he bought years ago with only 10,000. miles on the clock, he’s some-what of a perfectionist, so you know his car is basically perfect.  They had a very nice Eco-boost Mustang in the show-room and he offered to start it up for me, because I never really heard one up close before, well all I can really say is the sound (for me ) was very disappointing coming from that cool looking Mustang.  I’m a old school guy who loves a nice rumble coming from the exhaust of any type of sports car including the Mustang, that’s on me, not you, just saying!  We loved the Mustang GT , but it didn’t give us the mileage we were looking for, because at that time we were putting on quite a few miles when going to visit our grandson.   So, yes I did try one out to see if it tripped my trigger out on the road for a better sound, but it still didn’t do it for me.  So, then we drove a new Fusion and it was okay, then my buddy says why don’t you try out that new Edge sitting in their showroom.  Well, I have to admit it rode really nice and quite and when you put it In the sport mode it became very peppy and it was even equipped with paddle shifters too!   Well, when all was said and done we bought that 2015 new Edge and we both were very happy with it.  Then in 2018 celebrating my wife’s birthday and earlier retirement we bought our  new Titanium model Edge with all the goodies and especially the latest safety equipment warning system which we both really like and appreciate too now that were getting (A little) :hysterical:older too!!!   Oh, I almost forgot, my wife loves the panoramic roof that can open and it can go way back.    Tell your Dad we just love are Ford Edge and I don’t think he can go wrong buying one, it even has heated & cooled seats both front and back and the front seats are power adjustable too. Super comfortable and a very quite ride to boot!

P.S. My very favorite things are the heated seats, blind spot monitoring, lane assist, rear camera, and collision warning system also a great Sony sound system to boot!  :thumbsup:      Just a heads up, if your Dad has a sore back, the heated seats are fantastic and highly recommended by both my wife and I...

Edited by Mongoose
change text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tesgt350 said:

Yeah, and that Edge is not that small of a Vehicle OR that Light and to have just a 2.0 in it amazes me.  Does make me wonder if that little Engine driving that size of a Vehicle will last 150,000 Miles or better without major Service or Rebuild.  I like the Edge, I am trying to get my Dad to buy one.

 

Do you know of any that went that many miles yet ?...a stressed 4 banger in a heavy vehicle is very likely to have issues well before that mileage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Another mach 1 for your viewing pleasure. 

 

Hey mach, another great Mach 1 video, thanks for sharing!   You know your starting me to feel bad that I sold both my 69 & 70 Mach 1s every time I see one of those cool videos your posting....    Okay guys, here’s a quick quiz to see how observant you were on this car video.   With-out looking at the video again, did the car have the factory steering wheel????   :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 12:58 AM, Mongoose said:

Another great video, another great car, that’s for sure!   The 69 Ford Mach1 is one of the very best ever made and was one of a hell “Torque Monster” when it was powered by the big FE 428 Cobra-Jet R-code with the “Awesome” Shaker set-up....   Hit the gas and it was time for, ( Shake baby Shake)!  I owned one back in the day exactly like the one pictured except mine was sporting Candy Apple Red paint w/ rear spoiler too!   I also had a nickname for mine, it was called the “Beast”!  My wife once made the mistake of asking me why I called it the Beast when we were out cruising in it, well all I’ll say is she never asked me again..    :spiteful:

It is a Super Cobra Jet, external oil cooler and all. But when the car first came up for raffle, it wasn't shaker equipped and is a 'Q' Code not an ''R" code car. Even thought the window louvers aren't correct for this year car, I really am baffled by the low mounted grille emblem and lack of screw covers on both window crank handles.  Love the color, did buy tickets and would love to win the car, but...would love to see a Marti Report with it.

Edited by falcongtho3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, falcongtho3 said:

It is a Super Cobra Jet, external oil cooler and all. But when the car first came up for raffle, it wasn't shaker equipped and is a 'Q' Code not an ''R" code car. Even thought the window louvers aren't correct for this year car, I really am baffled by the low mounted grille emblem and lack of screw covers on both window crank handles.  Love the color, did buy tickets and would love to win the car, but...would love to see a Marti Report with it.

Hey Falcon, thanks for coming on the car guys thread, much appreciated bud!  When it comes to Ford knowledge and a sharp eye your the “Man”!    Yes that car would be really cool to win, but I do understand where your coming from on some of the issues you mentioned and a Marti Report on it would probably clear some of your issues up.  Like you said, if it has a factory shaker it should have the “R” code.  If I remember right, the “Q” code was for the stationary fixed scoop and a “S” code denotes a 390 engine.   I use to know a heck of a lot on the Mach1s, both 69 and 70, but needless to say I’ll admit I forgot some too, just saying!  But in all honesty, I’ll have to say that I would be one “Happy Camper’ if I won that cool car even if a few things were changed.  Besides, it would be free, other than maybe a few taxes paid, so you still could afford to put it back to totally stock if need be..  :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all you car guys, a very early good morning to ya all..    :reading:  Well we’ve been talking or should I say showing some cool videos of 69 & 70 Mach 1s, so I was rummaging around in my  archives and found 3 pics from quite a ways back.   These pics are probably from back around 35 years ago when my eldest daughter was around 3 or 4 years old, she standing on the seat in the 1970 Black Mach1.   These pics are old and I apologize for their quality, but I just thought you might find them interesting.  Well, now that I mentioned interesting, there is kind of a cool story on the Black 70 & Candy Apple Red 70 Mach1s.  The Black and the Red 70 are both the same car, we owned it twice.  It was first purchased for my wife when it was Black and then she decided to sell it at the Iola car show.  The guy that bought it had it totally professional restored, then his attention turned to the “Hot Rod” craze.  So 3 years later we were looking again for a cool Mustang at Iola and I saw this beautiful Candy Apple Red 70 Mach 1 for sale.  I said to my wife if I didn’t know any better that looks like our old Black one except it’s a Red one now.Just then, a guy taps me on the shoulder who I recognize then as the guy I originally sold it too and says yes that’s your old one.  So needless to say we bought it back and I was showing it at all the local shows both judged and participant too.   The restoration and paint and stripes were very high quality all the car really needed was a top notch detailing job in and out, underneath and the engine compartment too.  Once I got this all done, it was a very consistent  1st or 2nd place in the judged shows, the car was quite the eye catcher and a super ride too!   There’s actually kind of a cool story too on that Lip-stick Red (Mercury Color) 1970 2+2 Fastback that’s made to look like a 69 Mach 1.  I was cruising around on the east side of town in my Mach 1 with my wife and I spot this kind of cool fastback red Mustang for sale.  As I’m looking at it, I’m telling my wife this isn’t a 69 Mach 1 it’s really just a 70s fast back made to look like a 69 Mach with the striping and such.   But then, I started to read the hand written note of all the special and custom things that were done on this car and I was totally hooked. The price was right, the guy was moving out of town and he needed the money, so he put his dream up for sale.  He told me he built the car to run at “Road America”, Elkart  Lake and that he was running around 130 to 140 on the straights.  He definitely put some goodies in that car, it was pretty quick for a 302 built up a little and it was backed by a nice Hurst  4spd. and a heavy duty clutch,boy could that baby handle. It was lowered 2” all the way around, 3 way adjustable shocks on all corners, heavy duty custom monte-carlo bar, nice size sway bars underneath, headers, electric fuel pump in the trunk.  It also had extra gauges nicely done in middle of the dash, and he made stainless steel inserts for the doors, and he also installed the Black Matt Mach 1 panel in the back. Lots of time and money went in to his project and when I got it, it was all finished.  I really didn’t get hardly any time to play with and enjoy the car because a friend of my younger brother heard thru the grapevine that I just bought a pretty cool car at a good price.  He new what the car was really worth, but that I would probably give him a pretty good deal on it, so he was kind of bugging me to sell it to him right away.  So being I knew him too and he was a friend of my brother I sold it to him. So then, about two years later I saw the car I sold him at a “World of Wheels” and he had it all totally done to look like a Boss 302, Red / Black stripes.   Sorry I was so long winded, I just love talking cars, it’s just how I roll!   Later guys!   Mongoose:peelout:

IMG_1453__1589347340_10155.jpg

IMG_1458__1589347124_24733.jpg

IMG_1459__1589347250_66362.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey all you car guys, a very early good morning to ya all..    :reading:  Well we’ve been talking or should I say showing some cool videos of 69 & 70 Mach 1s, so I was rummaging around in my  archives and found 3 pics from quite a ways back.   These pics are probably from back around 35 years ago when my eldest daughter was around 3 or 4 years old, she standing on the seat in the 1970 Black Mach1.   These pics are old and I apologize for their quality, but I just thought you might find them interesting.  Well, now that I mentioned interesting, there is kind of a cool story on the Black 70 & Candy Apple Red 70 Mach1s.  The Black and the Red 70 are both the same car, we owned it twice.  It was first purchased for my wife when it was Black and then she decided to sell it at the Iola car show.  The guy that bought it had it totally professional restored, then his attention turned to the “Hot Rod” craze.  So 3 years later we were looking again for a cool Mustang at Iola and I saw this beautiful Candy Apple Red 70 Mach 1 for sale.  I said to my wife if I didn’t know any better that looks like our old Black one except it’s a Red one now.Just then, a guy taps me on the shoulder who I recognize then as the guy I originally sold it too and says yes that’s your old one.  So needless to say we bought it back and I was showing it at all the local shows both judged and participant too.   The restoration and paint and stripes were very high quality all the car really needed was a top notch detailing job in and out, underneath and the engine compartment too.  Once I got this all done, it was a very consistent  1st or 2nd place in the judged shows, the car was quite the eye catcher and a super ride too!   There’s actually kind of a cool story too on that Lip-stick Red (Mercury Color) 1970 2+2 Fastback that’s made to look like a 69 Mach 1.  I was cruising around on the east side of town in my Mach 1 with my wife and I spot this kind of cool fastback red Mustang for sale.  As I’m looking at it, I’m telling my wife this isn’t a 69 Mach 1 it’s really just a 70s fast back made to look like a 69 Mach with the striping and such.   But then, I started to read the hand written note of all the special and custom things that were done on this car and I was totally hooked. The price was right, the guy was moving out of town and he needed the money, so he put his dream up for sale.  He told me he built the car to run at “Road America”, Elkart  Lake and that he was running around 130 to 140 on the straights.  He definitely put some goodies in that car, it was pretty quick for a 302 built up a little and it was backed by a nice Hurst  4spd. and a heavy duty clutch,boy could that baby handle. It was lowered 2” all the way around, 3 way adjustable shocks on all corners, heavy duty custom monte-carlo bar, nice size sway bars underneath, headers, electric fuel pump in the trunk.  It also had extra gauges nicely done in middle of the dash, and he made stainless steel inserts for the doors, and he also installed the Black Matt Mach 1 panel in the back. Lots of time and money went in to his project and when I got it, it was all finished.  I really didn’t get hardly any time to play with and enjoy the car because a friend of my younger brother heard thru the grapevine that I just bought a pretty cool car at a good price.  He new what the car was really worth, but that I would probably give him a pretty good deal on it, so he was kind of bugging me to sell it to him right away.  So being I knew him too and he was a friend of my brother I sold it to him. So then, about two years later I saw the car I sold him at a “World of Wheels” and he had it all totally done to look like a Boss 302, Red / Black stripes.   Sorry I was so long winded, I just love talking cars, it’s just how I roll!   Later guys!   Mongoose:peelout:

IMG_1453__1589347340_10155.jpg

IMG_1458__1589347124_24733.jpg

IMG_1459__1589347250_66362.jpg

 

Beautiful Mustangs Goose...the one in the middle picture looks lowered ?...……..:headscratch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a little research on Tires for a project so I am asking here first ...……… Is there a Tire that has great Grip & Traction but does not Smoke when losing Traction?  I need rear Tires that grip the Road but does not Smoke when the Car is Drifting around Corners / Curves.  I know when Drifting, the object is to get as much Smoke as possible for Points but, I don't want Smoke. 

Edited by tesgt350

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Falcon, thanks for coming on the car guys thread, much appreciated bud!  When it comes to Ford knowledge and a sharp eye your the “Man”!    Yes that car would be really cool to win, but I do understand where your coming from on some of the issues you mentioned and a Marti Report on it would probably clear some of your issues up.  Like you said, if it has a factory shaker it should have the “R” code.  If I remember right, the “Q” code was for the stationary fixed scoop and a “S” code denotes a 390 engine.   I use to know a heck of a lot on the Mach1s, both 69 and 70, but needless to say I’ll admit I forgot some too, just saying!  But in all honesty, I’ll have to say that I would be one “Happy Camper’ if I won that cool car even if a few things were changed.  Besides, it would be free, other than maybe a few taxes paid, so you still could afford to put it back to totally stock if need be..  :thumbsup:

I think this raffle, along with a number of others out there, give you extra cash to handle the taxes!

You're right in that an 'R' designates a shaker equipped ram-air Cobra Jet, while a 'Q' is a non-ram air with the standard scoop. The 'S' is a 390, an 'M' is a 4v 351 and 'H' a 2v 351. Have you ever seen an 'X' code '68? Rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falcongtho3 said:

I think this raffle, along with a number of others out there, give you extra cash to handle the taxes!

You're right in that an 'R' designates a shaker equipped ram-air Cobra Jet, while a 'Q' is a non-ram air with the standard scoop. The 'S' is a 390, an 'M' is a 4v 351 and 'H' a 2v 351. Have you ever seen an 'X' code '68? Rare.

 

Great info Falcon...you're a wealth f knowledge on Mustangs...…..:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That picture is priceless Mongoose. You even have the original hub caps  ....:happyfeet:

Had a 1970 black mach1 with black hood stripe and black interior. 351 Cleveland auto trans non shaker model. It ran pretty good but not as good as the 71 Boss 351 I had. For its day it ran a 13.9 1/4 mile stock. Back then that was considered fast. 

9CDF2581-6EC4-4D36-953E-E0B9D3DB67AD.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to pick my favorite mach 1 this is it. From the factory you couldn’t get the magnum 500 wheels back then. But today everyone puts them on because they look so good .

A5063479-44E1-43B0-987E-45A61E35F798.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Another mach 1 for your viewing pleasure. 

 

Car Kings recently had an episode where they did a resto-mod Mach 1 build for Joey Logano.  It came out pretty nice.  I think they used a '73 for the donor car, and put modern everything in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

If I had to pick my favorite mach 1 this is it. From the factory you couldn’t get the magnum 500 wheels back then. But today everyone puts them on because they look so good .

A5063479-44E1-43B0-987E-45A61E35F798.jpeg

 

:rockon: …..Beauty!!

 

Here's one of my buddies 69's with the 428cj....been after him for two years to sell me this one.

 

DSCF5639b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Have another bud that used to work for me he has a 69 in Indian Fire Red...his has no shaker or 428 just the 351 Windsor but damn thing is all original

inside and out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, svtkeith said:

 

:rockon: …..Beauty!!

 

Here's one of my buddies 69's with the 428cj....been after him for two years to sell me this one.

 

DSCF5639b.jpg

Stay on him and maybe just maybe you will score that mach 1 someday. Heck I would have my motorhome camped in front of his house until he gave in. ....:surrender:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, svtkeith said:

 

:rockon: …..Beauty!!

 

Here's one of my buddies 69's with the 428cj....been after him for two years to sell me this one.

 

DSCF5639b.jpg

I had TWO of those. Both Red with Black Interiors.  I also had a Blue 70 R Code.

Edited by tesgt350

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...