Mongoose

Car Guys ( & Gals ) talkin’ cars & stuff

6 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Beautiful Mustangs Goose...the one in the middle picture looks lowered ?...……..:headscratch:

Hey Keefer, you might just want to make a eye doctor’s appointment in case you need glasses, or is it you just didn’t read my full posting on the cars.  I mentioned all the cool things that were done to that 70 2+2 red fastback and one of the first things I mentioned was it was lowered 2” at all 4 corners!    :headscratch:  :banghead:     Just razzing you bud!   :hysterical:

2 minutes ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Keefer, you might just want to make a eye doctor’s appointment in case you need glasses, or is it you just didn’t read my full posting on the cars.  I mentioned all the cool things that were done to that 70 2+2 red fastback and one of the first things I mentioned was it was lowered 2” at all 4 corners!    :headscratch:  :banghead:     Just razzing you bud!   :hysterical:

I don't read I only look at pictures...…….:hysterical:

5 hours ago, tesgt350 said:

Doing a little research on Tires for a project so I am asking here first ...……… Is there a Tire that has great Grip & Traction but does not Smoke when losing Traction?  I need rear Tires that grip the Road but does not Smoke when the Car is Drifting around Corners / Curves.  I know when Drifting, the object is to get as much Smoke as possible for Points but, I don't want Smoke. 

Hey Tes, hang in their bud, I’m sure someone will answer your question on the tires. Alot of us “Old School Guys” aren’t into “Drifting”, but I will say I enjoy watching them, but I sure wouldn’t want to pay for their tires...     :doh:    Hey, just curious why you don’t want the smoke, because I thought that was a huge part of drifting, kind of like it is in the “Burnout” competition, but heck what do I really know about it??   :shrug:

15 minutes ago, svtkeith said:

I don't read I only look at pictures...…….:hysterical:

Hey Keefer,  I’ll admit that I do that too when it comes to my wife’s “People magazines”....    :hysterical2:

6 hours ago, falcongtho3 said:

I think this raffle, along with a number of others out there, give you extra cash to handle the taxes!

You're right in that an 'R' designates a shaker equipped ram-air Cobra Jet, while a 'Q' is a non-ram air with the standard scoop. The 'S' is a 390, an 'M' is a 4v 351 and 'H' a 2v 351. Have you ever seen an 'X' code '68? Rare.

Hey Falcon, you sure know your stuff with all the codes on the Mustang line-up.  Concerning the taxes, yes that would really be nice if they paid them too.  No, I don’t ever remember seeing a ‘X’ code for a 68 year.   Hey bud, I think I know one very cool “Big Time Ford Guy” that you would love to talk to and meet, unless you already have.  He’s Bob Perkins of Perkins Restorationa out of Junea, Wi. he’s one of the very best, if not the “Best” of Mustang knowledge out there, bar non, especially when it comes to his very favorite Boss Mustangs.

P.S. He’s a super nice guy too!  

5 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

That picture is priceless Mongoose. You even have the original hub caps  ....:happyfeet:

Had a 1970 black mach1 with black hood stripe and black interior. 351 Cleveland auto trans non shaker model. It ran pretty good but not as good as the 71 Boss 351 I had. For its day it ran a 13.9 1/4 mile stock. Back then that was considered fast. 

9CDF2581-6EC4-4D36-953E-E0B9D3DB67AD.jpeg

Hey mach 1,  yes that picture is priceless to me, especially with my oldest(shown in pic) is now 39 yrs. old.  I’ll have to admit, even though the striping color isn’t factory correct on it, I really like the painted on Gold stripes over Black, to me this car really “Poped”!!  I originally purchased this car from a family that was very big into Shelbys and even had at one time a original AC Cobra too.   This car still had the original Protecto-plate in the glove box and it was a home town bought car and it was originally “Grabber Orange”.  I’m glad they changed the color, it wasn't my favorite, but I will say they did a out-standing job on the repaint.   You couldn’t detect any where paint wise it was changed, same holds true when I bought it back and it was Candy Apple Red too!  Funny that you mentioned those very cool stock hub caps because I still own a complete set of them, to me there some of the coolest out there, just saying! As far as a 71 Boss 351 goes it was one of the last fast Mustangs for this time period in my book...     :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Great info Falcon...you're a wealth f knowledge on Mustangs...…..:thumbsup:

:yup: +1

If I had to pick my favorite mach 1 this is it. From the factory you couldn’t get the magnum 500 wheels back then. But today everyone puts them on because they look so good .

A5063479-44E1-43B0-987E-45A61E35F798.jpeg

The magnums are “Awesome” in my book and I would of loved to run them on my 70, (exact car pictured, minus magnums), but my car would not qualify in judged shows if I ran non-stock wheels.   Doing that was a “Huge” No,No in those days!!    :doh:

P.S. Ooophs!!!!   My mistake, my 70 had the Factory stock Shaker but it was the 351 Cleveland engine not the 428 Cobra-Jet in that one.  The Cobra-Jet was in my 69 Mach1, just to keep it all straight, before I forget...  :lol:

Edited by Mongoose
add text

5 hours ago, DrHawkeye said:

Car Kings recently had an episode where they did a resto-mod Mach 1 build for Joey Logano.  It came out pretty nice.  I think they used a '73 for the donor car, and put modern everything in it.

:thumbsup:Sounds cool!

2 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Tes, hang in their bud, I’m sure someone will answer your question on the tires. Alot of us “Old School Guys” aren’t into “Drifting”, but I will say I enjoy watching them, but I sure wouldn’t want to pay for their tires...     :doh:    Hey, just curious why you don’t want the smoke, because I thought that was a huge part of drifting, kind of like it is in the “Burnout” competition, but heck what do I really know about it??   :shrug:

I have started writhing the Script for a Movie I have just over an Hours worth done already and I am about to start on a Script for a TV Pilot Crime Show where the Bad Guy needs Tires that are super Grippy but does not generate smoke when He/She zips around sharp Curves.

21 minutes ago, tesgt350 said:

I have started writhing the Script for a Movie I have just over an Hours worth done already and I am about to start on a Script for a TV Pilot Crime Show where the Bad Guy needs Tires that are super Grippy but does not generate smoke when He/She zips around sharp Curves.

Michelin Tires that come on the current mustang GT PP1 option.( Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires)

10 minutes ago, mach 1 1970 said:

Michelin Tires that come on the current mustang GT PP1 option.( Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires)

Thank You.

7 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

If I had to pick my favorite mach 1 this is it. From the factory you couldn’t get the magnum 500 wheels back then. But today everyone puts them on because they look so good .

A5063479-44E1-43B0-987E-45A61E35F798.jpeg

Optional only on the Boss 302

5 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Keefer,  I’ll admit that I do that too when it comes to my wife’s “People magazines”....    :hysterical2:

:hysterical:

2 hours ago, svttim said:

Mach 1.jpg

Another beauty!!……..:thumbsup: ……..you sold that didn't you ?....thought you mentioned that some time back.

9 hours ago, tesgt350 said:

Hey Tes, writing a script for a TV pilot Crime show sounds like fun and damn interesting too.  Now I totally understand why the tire smoke wouldn’t be good in filming.  Are you going to hire a professional drifter for the chase scenes, just wondering.   I love crime shows and police stories, and to me: Blue Bloods is my favorite one hands down, great story lines, great actors and a all around family show that’s well done!  Years back, I really enjoyed Miami-Vice, and the tunes they played were simply awesome!

9 hours ago, mach 1 1970 said:

:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, svttim said:

Mach 1.jpg

“Awesome”, thanks for the post Tim!   :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, svttim said:

Optional only on the Boss 302

The cool Magnums on the Mustangs really make them “POP” and I always wished they were factory stock on the Mach 1s, but sadly they weren’t.

Hey all you car guys and gals out there, were talking cars and stuff so I just received my latest edition of CAR & DRIVER, June2020 edition. Well in it they have this one section that’s devoted to subscriber’s write-in comments on things that were in previous issues.  Well it all revolves and comes down to people’s opinions and what-ever spin they want it to say or mean. So this one guy, he kind of sounds pretty upset and he says he’s been reading C & D pony car matchups for decades and-Bam!-there it is : The Chevy beats the Ford and Dodge and it’s 100-plus down on horse-power! He say’s dare I say we’ve reached the point where the horsepower in pony cars is becoming less relevant?  Then he say’s wait, I need a moment. That was Bob from Atlanta, GA.

It’s all about “Opinions’ and every-one has one and this was his, just saying!    :shrug:   :headscratch:         Well that’s all I got for now, so see ya later!     Mongoose    :peelout:

4 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Tes, writing a script for a TV pilot Crime show sounds like fun and damn interesting too.  Now I totally understand why the tire smoke wouldn’t be good in filming.  Are you going to hire a professional drifter for the chase scenes, just wondering.   I love crime shows and police stories, and to me: Blue Bloods is my favorite one hands down, great story lines, great actors and a all around family show that’s well done!  Years back, I really enjoyed Miami-Vice, and the tunes they played were simply awesome!

I watch Blue Bloods just about every day......I always have to laugh when they see a guy they want to "Question" and they yell out the guys name when they are a half block away and then have to chase him down another 6 Blocks...……. EVERY TIME.  Why don't they wait until the guy is right in front of them?  :shrug:

17 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Falcon, you sure know your stuff with all the codes on the Mustang line-up.  Concerning the taxes, yes that would really be nice if they paid them too.  No, I don’t ever remember seeing a ‘X’ code for a 68 year.   Hey bud, I think I know one very cool “Big Time Ford Guy” that you would love to talk to and meet, unless you already have.  He’s Bob Perkins of Perkins Restorationa out of Junea, Wi. he’s one of the very best, if not the “Best” of Mustang knowledge out there, bar non, especially when it comes to his very favorite Boss Mustangs.

P.S. He’s a super nice guy too!  

The "X" Code car was a 390 2V carb car. One year only and very rare. A good friend of mine bought one, only to find in the trunk a space saver spare...from a Boss 429!!! He sold the spare for more than he paid for the car, and then sold the car to Jerry Heasley!

I did actually get to meet Bob last year at his display at the MCACN show in Chicago. He was very nice and all the "toys" he brought along really make for a cool display.

49439828461_574f87deb6_z.jpg11-30-2019 736

49440057107_0c8beb79b8_z.jpg11-30-2019 739

I did tease him, though. His display poster for his '69 Mach 1 has Acapulco spelled wrong for its paint descriptor.

Edited by falcongtho3

8 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey all you car guys and gals out there, were talking cars and stuff so I just received my latest edition of CAR & DRIVER, June2020 edition. Well in it they have this one section that’s devoted to subscriber’s write-in comments on things that were in previous issues.  Well it all revolves and comes down to people’s opinions and what-ever spin they want it to say or mean. So this one guy, he kind of sounds pretty upset and he says he’s been reading C & D pony car matchups for decades and-Bam!-there it is : The Chevy beats the Ford and Dodge and it’s 100-plus down on horse-power! He say’s dare I say we’ve reached the point where the horsepower in pony cars is becoming less relevant?  Then he say’s wait, I need a moment. That was Bob from Atlanta, GA.

It’s all about “Opinions’ and every-one has one and this was his, just saying!    :shrug:   :headscratch:         Well that’s all I got for now, so see ya later!     Mongoose    :peelout:

I’m not sure where all the gals are Mongoose. But we shall see if any join us over the next couple of months. 

On the HP subject........Where I live ( on the street ) you can’t possibly use more then 600hp if your car weighs less then 3700lbs. 700 hp if your car weighs more 4200Lbs. Having a slow car that you can push to its limits is sometimes more fun on the street. Having a fast car that you can’t use it’s limits is boring on the street. So all this HP cost money. The new Shelby GT 500 with the ADMs is around $102K.  That’s the going rate according to my local Ford dealership. That’s a base GT500. I’m sure when the Z06 opens its order banks it starts at $85K. So if that’s the case a lot people will shop the used car market. Lots of Shelby’s and GM products to choose from. It’s going to be a candy store of performance vehicles to choose from. Yes it’s going to be fun owning these cars at reasonable prices. Then eventually those high hp cars will be on the used car lot. Lots of choices down the road to choose from. Glad I live in this period of time and have the means to participate without breaking the bank. 

Edited by mach 1 1970

7 hours ago, tesgt350 said:

I watch Blue Bloods just about every day......I always have to laugh when they see a guy they want to "Question" and they yell out the guys name when they are a half block away and then have to chase him down another 6 Blocks...……. EVERY TIME.  Why don't they wait until the guy is right in front of them?  :shrug:

Yes sir, Blue bloods is one of the best!  My wife and I watch it all the time, we enjoy it for so many different reasons.  My wife’s favorite reason maybe watching Tom Selleck as the “Commissioner”.  My take on them yelling out the perp’s name is maybe the director is trying to create a little excitement and drama in a action segment, just saying!   As we know in a real life situation that would be kind of stupid to do.    :banghead:

8 hours ago, falcongtho3 said:

The "X" Code car was a 390 2V carb car. One year only and very rare. A good friend of mine bought one, only to find in the trunk a space saver spare...from a Boss 429!!! He sold the spare for more than he paid for the car, and then sold the car to Jerry Heasley!

I did actually get to meet Bob last year at his display at the MCACN show in Chicago. He was very nice and all the "toys" he brought along really make for a cool display.

I did tease him, though. His display poster for his '69 Mach 1 has Acapulco spelled wrong for its paint descriptor.

Hey Falcon, yes Bob is a great guy and one of the best for sure.  You mentioned Jerry Heasley who is very well known and a good friend of Bob’s too.  The Boss 429 space-saver spare was a neat story and a hell of a find.  Well, speaking of stories, I just so happen to have another cool story for you involving Bob and my 69 Mach1 428 “R” code Cobra-Jet.  I bought my 69 C.J. from Bob after he trailered it back from his good buddies dealership in Georgia : Jackie Jones Ford.  Between Bob and Jackie they knew the whole history of my car because it spent it’s entire life being a North Carolina / Georgia car.  When my wife and I arrived at Bob’s shop in Juneau,Wi. on February 27, 1988 I was very happy with the car, being it was bought sight on seen.  The car was actually better than Bob described, as he would say, it’s a good old car.  Bob loves to talk cars too, especially Mustangs.  Well he had a cool story on my car, so he commenced to tell me how he found a old original set of (Headlight Aimers) in the car’s trunk, which really made him happy.   We all know Bob loves original and N.O.S. stuff  and he also told me how he likes to go to the local big swap meets at the Jefferson County show & swap very early and find the rare cool stuff and maybe N.O.S. too!   My wife and I always try to make that show and it’s held in spring & fall.

Hey Falcon, thanks for posting the pics of those awesome engines, if you ever need a rare part for a Mustang, I’m sure Bob would have it.   I’m sure he’d love to give you a tour of his shop if your ever in his area.

P.S. Hey Falcon, just for you bud, here’s a pic of my 69 C.J. sitting in front of bob’s old shop the day I picked it up on February 27th 1988.  His new bigger shop is just next door to his old shop and he has one of those Big old Dealer-ship signs in front of his shop, sometimes he even has a car displayed too!

IMG_3185__1589486220_52038.jpg

Edited by Mongoose
add pic and text

I’m not sure where all the gals are Mongoose. But we shall see if any join us over the next couple of months. 

On the HP subject........Where I live ( on the street ) you can’t possibly use more then 600hp if your car weighs less then 3700lbs. 700 hp if your car weighs more 4200Lbs. Having a slow car that you can push to its limits is sometimes more fun on the street. Having a fast car that you can’t use it’s limits is boring on the street. So all this HP cost money. The new Shelby GT 500 with the ADMs is around $102K.  That’s the going rate according to my local Ford dealership. That’s a base GT500. I’m sure when the Z06 opens its order banks it starts at $85K. So if that’s the case a lot people will shop the used car market. Lots of Shelby’s and GM products to choose from. It’s going to be a candy store of performance vehicles to choose from. Yes it’s going to be fun owning these cars at reasonable prices. Then eventually those high hp cars will be on the used car lot. Lots of choices down the road to choose from. Glad I live in this period of time and have the means to participate without breaking the bank. 

Hey mach, I know were both “Old School” type of guys, but we learned a lot over the years playing with and owning lots of high-performance cars in our day, and were not done yet by a long shot.  One thing we learned and know, yes there is such a thing as too much horse-power in some cars to make it really usable, stable and worth the extra money, plus a car like that can accomplish the opposite experience that you were looking for.  In stead of providing a very fun and invigorating experience, it creates havoc behind the wheel and scares the living hell out of you and you almost lose the car or possibly your life.  This is no joke, and shouldn’t be taken lightly, to much H.P. and Speed can kill you, it’s really that simple, it’s a no-brainer in my book.   Actually that’s another very good reason why I really like my 08 Shelby GT and it never fails to supply a “Big Smile” on my face, It’s really fun driving a car like that at or near it’s limits and knowing that I’m very capable of doing just that.  The fun this car supplies at such a very reasonable price is very hard to beat and it satisfies all my car guy needs at this point in time.   Of course as usual, everyone has their opinions and they can vary widely depending on your wants and needs for excitement.  J.M.O.   

Yes, this is a very exciting time to be car guys & gals with lots of different cars to chose from, that’s a given for sure!

23 hours ago, svtkeith said:

Another beauty!!……..:thumbsup: ……..you sold that didn't you ?....thought you mentioned that some time back.

Nope, She is still in the garage :)

10 hours ago, falcongtho3 said:

Bob is just south of me and he is a nice guy. Funny, the Ranchero in the picture with the Mach 1 is a Y code. Yup, 390 2V :) but a Four Speed car

Hey Tim, it’s always nice to have a couple of extra nice, “BIG Boy Toys” to drive and play with when you get down or bored, that’s how us car guys roll.    :peelout: