cobrafan

Celebration with Mr. Shelby

It started as a dream for a great guy, John Allen, back sometime in May, I think. He posted here and on the SAI website asking if anyone who was actually committed to the 40th Anniversary package would be interested in donating to the Carroll Shelby Childrens Foundation. He was interested in making a sizeable donation and if he could get 10 or 15 other folks to match his donation, perhaps we could set up a meeting with Mr. Shelby and get our 40th Anniversary Package cars autographed while we watched. It seemed like a long shot but I jumped at the chance as did 12 other guys. One guy took two spots giving us the 15 cars.

Many, many phone calls by John Allen to various people at SAI as well as a couple of trips to Las Vegas yielded a date in October for the event. We were all so jacked up that it was hard to even believe. They needed our cars at SAI by Sept 10th. For me, this was disaster as I had a major scheduling problem. A major part of my dream was to haul my Performance White/Tungsten Stripes (only 61 produced) back to SAI and take a picture of this rare beauty in front of the Shelby Building before the factory stripes were replaced forever with Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripes (SSSSS). And then, after the conversion, picking up my new 40th Anniversary car with 725 HP and driving it back home to Texas. I didn't want anyone else to do it, I wanted to do it.

Thank God, honestly, I have a business partner that did back flips to cover my schedule so I could make the road trip which is posted on another thread on the 40th fourm with photographs of the White/Tungsten. The first part of the dream came true. A point in time that I will always remember and it is captured by a picture that I got to take.

Sometime in September the email came saying that the event would have to be postponed due to Mr. Shelby's schedule. Everyone was sick. We all had plans, non refundable airline tickets, rental cars, hotels, etc., it was a mess. But, within a few days, the event was rescheduled to November 1st to coordinate with SEMA as Mr. Shelby was going to be in Las Vegas. Airline schedules changed, hotels rebooked. Things worked out.

We all know that SAI has a very full dinner plate right now. In spite of all they have going on, they coordinated and converted 15 cars to be picked up on November 1st. This was no small feat. They busted their humps to get our cars ready. According to JW at Shelby, this is the FIRST time that SAI has had 15 cars prepared and picked up by the owners at the same time. This was a First for Shelby and we were part of it!

SAI has a museum delivery program that they offered to us as part of the event. Our purpose was to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the Shelby GT500, to recognize Mr. Shelby and his contribution to children in need of organ transplants, to recoginze the efforts of the entire team at SAI for accomplishing something that had never been done in the history of the company, and finally to witness our cars being autographed by a living ledgend and one of the most influential people in the history of the automobile. We pulled it off! All 14 of us are still absolutely stunned.

The short version is the event morphed into a party. We had the most gracious hosts you can possibly imagine. They knocked themselves out hosting this event. There was food, Carroll Shelby chili of course, refreshments, gifts, surprises, and fellowship with the entire crew that worked on our cars or had anything to do with our cars. One of the most striking things to witness was the joy, pride, and excitement of the team at Shelby for pulling off their end of the event. They were more pumped than we were. It was incredible. They even had a cake made with our cars on it surrounded by little tiny Shelby's. It was a once in a lifetime event.

The group of 15 wanted to do something special for Mr. Shelby. We had a unique plaque made to commemorate the event and recognize him, Amy, John, and the entire team at SAI for their contributions to children in need all over the world. I was blessed to be the one to present him the award. He took the award, read it, and then looked me in the eye and said, "Do me a favor, I want all of you to sign this." We plan the entire event to get Carroll Shelby's autograph and we have him asking us for our autographs! It still blows my mind. Humble only begins to describe the emotion.

This post would not be complete if I didn't mention that without the support of Amy this never would have happened. This was a logistical nightmare and I'm sure that at times she was ready to pull her hair out. But like so many things in life, it all came together to be a very special event for SAI and for 14 very fortunate 40th Anniversary owners. Thanks Amy.

There are many pictures to be posted. I thought it appropriate to start with the one of the plaque that we presented to Mr. Shelby. The 6 car photo will be replaced with the group shot with the Donation check. We all signed the background with a silver pen.

Very groovy.

ShelbyPlaque.jpg

• Like 1

Very well said Don!!!

It was truly one of the greatest honors I have ever had. I can't explain what a life changing event it truly was. It was also an honor to share this event with such a fantastic group of guys. You did a fantastic job on putting together the plaque, and I am really looking forward to mine. This was an event that has never happened before, and will probably never happen again, and it was an amazing thing to be a part of it. My car was built in the third week of production, I was VERY lucky to receive the 17th 40th package, and I have one of 15 cars certified cars from the group of fifteen cars from the 40th Anniversary Donation Party delivered and hand signed by Carroll Shelby in his Las Vegas plant. I have the first 40th Package Shelby GT500 car in Canada, and the only one in the country to attend this historic event. WOW!!!!!!! I am truly blessed!!!!!!! Thank you to all who made this possible, especially John Allen and the wonderful crew at Shelby Autos. Most of all I want to say how appreciative I am, and forever will be, to Amy and Carroll. The passion runs deep!!!

I hope we will always stay connected. Let's plan a reunion.

Here is a pic of me and Carroll.

KingCobra.

post-1791-1194340353_thumb.jpg

post-1791-1194340353_thumb.jpg

Very well said Don!!!

It was truly one of the greatest honors I have ever had. I can't explain what a life changing event it truly was. It was also an honor to share this event with such a fantastic group of guys. You did a fantastic job on putting together the plaque, and I am really looking forward to mine. This was an event that has never happened before, and will probably never happen again, and it was an amazing thing to be a part of it. My car was built in the third week of production, I was VERY lucky to receive the 17th 40th package, and I have one of 15 cars certified cars from the group of fifteen cars from the 40th Anniversary Donation Party delivered and hand signed by Carroll Shelby in his Las Vegas plant. I have the first 40th Package Shelby GT500 car in Canada, and the only one in the country to attend this historic event. WOW!!!!!!! I am truly blessed!!!!!!! Thank you to all who made this possible, especially John Allen and the wonderful crew at Shelby Autos. Most of all I want to say how appreciative I am, and forever will be, to Amy and Carroll. The passion runs deep!!!

I hope we will always stay connected. Let's plan a reunion.

Here is a pic of me and Carroll.

KingCobra.

Ditto!!!

This was one of the greatest experience in my life.

To be part of Shelby history!

Being able to meet Carroll Shelby in person and the employers of SAI.

Surrounded by 13 great individuals like myself that have the passion for Carroll Shelby and his great vision and art. Making the car industry what it was then and today.

AMAZING!!

LasVegasShelbySema48.jpg

Edited by tlitz

Don, do you know if all of us signed the plaque for Carroll?

It seemed as though a couple of us had already left after the party.

Here are a couple more pics. Carroll and I with John Allen, Carroll's lovely wife with my car, and my good friend Amy Boylan and myself.

KingCobra.

post-1791-1194369720_thumb.jpg

post-1791-1194369771_thumb.jpg

post-1791-1194369817_thumb.jpg

post-1791-1194369720_thumb.jpg

post-1791-1194369771_thumb.jpg

post-1791-1194369817_thumb.jpg

Don, do you know if all of us signed the plaque for Carroll?

It seemed as though a couple of us had already left after the party.

Here are a couple more pics. Carroll and I with John Allen, Carroll's lovely wife with my car, and my good friend Amy Boylan and myself.

KingCobra.

James, I signed and left shortly thereafter.

Here is the post that started it all last May 25th.

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...st&p=151400

It was a heck of a ride for 6 months and the payoff was unforgetable. You 13 guys who took me serious and jumped on the band wagon are the best. If you look at our group, we cover the entire United States and Canada which I thought was amazing in itself. All the folks at SAI worked their tales off for us and for that I will be forever greatfull. And For Carroll Shelby --- what can you say??? For an 85 year young guy, he's quite remarkable. He went from car to car hopping in and signing the dash (except for mine, I had him sign my hood) with better energy than I could and he's got 30 years on me. He called the kids in our group over for their own picture with him and then the ladies for their own picture. When he asked for our own signatures on the plaque we presented to him I actually got chocked up with the thrill and honor of the moment.

Thank You Mr Shelby, Amy Boylan, John Walker, Sherri Walker, Victoria, Cynthia, Bud, Dale, Shop Crew, - Don (cobrafan),Tony (cajunshelby), Mike (meckonica), Tom (shelby tom), Todd (tlitz), James (KingCobra), Wayne, Dave (davesshelbys), Jeff (BSSINC), Brian (fasbkdoc), Michael (500-vert), Eddie (1st 500), and Scott. :headspin::headspin::headspin:

Sincerly,

John

Edited by jdaallen

Here is the post that started it all last May 25th.

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...st&p=151400

It was a heck of a ride for 6 months and the payoff was unforgetable. You 13 guys who took me serious and jumped on the band wagon are the best. If you look at our group, we cover the entire United States and Canada which I thought was amazing in itself. All the folks at SAI worked their tales off for us and for that I will be forever greatfull. And For Carroll Shelby --- what can you say??? For an 85 year young guy, he's quite remarkable. He went from car to car hopping in and signing the dash (except for mine, I had him sign my hood) with better energy than I could and he's got 30 years on me. He called the kids in our group over for their own picture with him and then the ladies for their own picture. When he asked for our own signatures on the plaque we presented to him I actually got chocked up with the thrill and honor of the moment.

Thank You Mr Shelby, Amy Boylan, John Walker, Sherri Walker, Victoria, Cynthia, Bud, Dale, Shop Crew, - Don (cobrafan),Tony (cajunshelby), Mike (meckonica), Tom (shelby tom), Todd (tlitz), James (KingCobra), Wayne, Dave (davesshelbys), Jeff (BSSINC), Brian (fasbkdoc), Michael (500-vert), Eddie (1st 500), and Scott. :headspin::headspin::headspin:

Sincerly,

John

Thank you John,

You had the vision of this dream and YOU made it come true!

I am so happy to have been part of this dream come true with all of you!!

I am still in LA LA land from our experience.

Thank you and all at SAI!!

Sincerely,

Todd

ToddLitz100--Pic2.jpg

Edited by tlitz

Todd,

What a great picture. In the shop at SAI behind the wheel of your new ride. A real keeper.

Thanks,

Your shots are amazing!!

here are some more of mine.

PictureofPoster-1.jpg

Picture074.jpg

ToddLitz100--Pic3-Copy.jpg

ToddLitz100-Copy.jpg

DonationParty--PartyCarMembersMODSh.jpg

DonationParty--JohnsSpeech.jpg

jealous is an understatement! Congrats to everyone!!

Thanks man!!!

It was an incredible experience, and yes, that too, is an understatement!!!

It was a once in a lifetime experience that has never happened before, and will likely never happen again,

and being apart of it with such a fantastic group of guys was the event of the century!!!

The certificates were awesome!!!

I'm still high!!!

KingCobra.

Happy Birthday party of 15. John, how many of us are left? Eight years today. What a trip!

Edited by cobrafan

Not a member/GT500 40th owner (40th GT-H if that counts :) ), however, fun read and very cool seeing all the pictures. It was a very exciting time for SAI and I really enjoyed Ms. Amy B. and staff back in the day!

Edited by H0050

Not a member/GT500 40th owner (40th GT-H if that counts :) ), however, fun read and very cool seeing all the pictures. It was a very exciting time for SAI and I really enjoyed Ms. Amy B. and staff back in the day!

It was a great time and nobody had the passion for Team Shelby like Amy!

• Like 1