tewebb

Prothane Motor Mount's

Going to install some header's here soon. I read that it is advised to go with the Prothane Motor Mounts. On waiting list for the EVO 2.9L Whipple kit. Trying to get everything ready for its release. I will be installing the headers myself in my garage and on jack stands. Can I also install new motor mounts at the same time? I understand EVO has the new Prothane motor mounts they advise to install with the header install. Any input would really help.

Tom

Going to install some header's here soon. I read that it is advised to go with the Prothane Motor Mounts. On waiting list for the EVO 2.9L Whipple kit. Trying to get everything ready for its release. I will be installing the headers myself in my garage and on jack stands. Can I also install new motor mounts at the same time? I understand EVO has the new Prothane motor mounts they advise to install with the header install. Any input would really help.

Tom

Tom,

I did the same thing last winter.Kooks S.S. long tube headers with Kooks high flow cats and FRPP mufflers. :happy feet: I also installed the aluminum Prothane motor mounts with Poly bushings.If you decide to do this you better have a lot of patience.This is definitely the hardest job I have done on a car. :banghead: I also did it on jack stands. :cry: To answer your question,yes install both(headers and motor mounts) at the same time.Let me put this disclaimer in before you ask me any questions:Pay someone competent to do this job.

Tom,

I did the same thing last winter.Kooks S.S. long tube headers with Kooks high flow cats and FRPP mufflers. :happy feet: I also installed the aluminum Prothane motor mounts with Poly bushings.If you decide to do this you better have a lot of patience.This is definitely the hardest job I have done on a car. :banghead: I also did it on jack stands. :cry: To answer your question,yes install both(headers and motor mounts) at the same time.Let me put this disclaimer in before you ask me any questions:Pay someone competent to do this job.

Thank you for your reply and info. Time and patience is no problem. I love doing things myself if I can. I feel one will be more careful and take better care of their car if you can in fact do it yourself. What did you have to do to remove/install the motor mounts? Did you get them from EVO? Did they lower your engine any after install?

Tom

LT installation is one heck of a job....... This is one of the worst installs that can be performed on a car. I went through 2 with a shop the 1st one took a loooooooooooooooooong time.

Any how, it is has been recommended that you change your motor mounts by a few when switching to LT's just in case there are clearance issues. Prothane motor mounts are usually recommended. BMR Fabricators has some great motor mounts, check them out.

Tom

I too will be installing prothane mounts but am waiting for my headers to get back from Jet hot coatings before I begin the install. I haven't seen anything about what kind of increase in NVH can be expected? Also getting ready for the 2.9 kit. :D

Tom,

How did the exhaust sound with the kooks and frpp?

Thank you for your reply and info. Time and patience is no problem. I love doing things myself if I can. I feel one will be more careful and take better care of their car if you can in fact do it yourself. What did you have to do to remove/install the motor mounts? Did you get them from EVO? Did they lower your engine any after install?

Tom

Tom,

Good since you have lots of patience,good luck.1st of all put the car on jack stands.Then loosen the motor mount on the passenger side and take out the bolt for the drivers side motor mount.Lift up your motor and drop your sub-frame oh,maybe 1/2".Read your auto repair manual because you will have to take out the 1/2 shaft for the steering column and then lock it in place.See if the mount is loose enough to slide the driver side motor mount out.Are we having fun yet?If not raise the motor enough not to rip the hoses but to slide the mount out.At some point you will bust your finger but get the mount out.Slide the new one in and start the bolt before lowering the motor.By now you were wishing you let someone else do this! :banghead::headspin:

How did the exhaust sound with the kooks and frpp?

It depends on what you like.I love it.If you are in L.A. or Vegas you can check it out.........................07 SHELBY....................................................

I too will be installing prothane mounts but am waiting for my headers to get back from Jet hot coatings before I begin the install. I haven't seen anything about what kind of increase in NVH can be expected? Also getting ready for the 2.9 kit. :D

I just installed a set of Prothane motor mounts along with FRPP shorty headers. Got them both from EVO…this is first I had ordered from them, very good service and fast shipping.

The motor mounts were an easy install, the headers were a bit more time consuming. IMO, there is hardly any increase in NVH with the motor mounts.

I just installed a set of Prothane motor mounts along with FRPP shorty headers. Got them both from EVO…this is first I had ordered from them, very good service and fast shipping.

The motor mounts were an easy install, the headers were a bit more time consuming. IMO, there is hardly any increase in NVH with the motor mounts.

Thanks for the input on the mounts, I bought my stuff from Evo as well. I was ordering the shorty's but Fred swayed me to the AR long tubes!

Tom

I was under the impression that the 2.9L Whipple kit fit without any modifications. Is this not correct?

If motor mounts are used then it would be same dillemma as the Kenne Bell.

Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks...

I was under the impression that the 2.9L Whipple kit fit without any modifications. Is this not correct?

If motor mounts are used then it would be same dillemma as the Kenne Bell.

Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks...

From what I understand from reading input from other members, when adding headers and upgrading the SC, the oem motor mounts tend to give due to the added torque. The movement of the engine can cause rubbing of the headers and also cause denting of the headers?????? I am still on the fence about adding all the cost and trouble of installing headers. My question is, is headers a must when adding the 2.9L Whipple. I see you already have headers installed. Why?

Tom

From what I understand from reading input from other members, when adding headers and upgrading the SC, the oem motor mounts tend to give due to the added torque. The movement of the engine can cause rubbing of the headers and also cause denting of the headers?????? I am still on the fence about adding all the cost and trouble of installing headers. My question is, is headers a must when adding the 2.9L Whipple. I see you already have headers installed. Why?

Tom

I was always under the impression that adding LT headers was main thing to do when adding more power. I have heard so many different opinions regarding this issue. I know that Kenne Bell even recommends keeping the stock exhaust and headers. I even called them one time and they told me that even though they don't recommend the LT headers, you will still see an increase in HP when putting them on. No matter how you look at it there will always be a gain when adding LT headers. Whatever we do to make the engine breath better has to be looked upon as positive in my opinion.

I did not know that there would be a problem when combining the LT headers and the 2.9L Whipple. I wonder if Evolution was planning on including the motor mounts with the Kit for owners with LT headers.

Thanks for the info... :shift: