Sign in to follow this  
svt boost

Anyone had the RCM/Airbag recall done WITH a custom tune?

So has anybody had the restraint contol module (RCM) Airbag recall done WITH a custom tune? I think I read somewhere that the module is separate from the PCM? Is that true?

I am taking my car in tomorrow for some cosmetic stuff, and need to make sure it wont mess with my PCM. I dont want to swap out the throttle body it is a pain in the ass.

So has anybody had the restraint contol module (RCM) Airbag recall done WITH a custom tune? I think I read somewhere that the module is separate from the PCM? Is that true?

I am taking my car in tomorrow for some cosmetic stuff, and need to make sure it wont mess with my PCM. I dont want to swap out the throttle body it is a pain in the ass.

Got anyone that you trust there? Give 'em your tuner and shoot it to stock, do the RCM update, then reflash to your performance tune. No brainer.....unless you can't trust your folks there.

bj

Yes the RCM is different than your PCM.There are 8 different modules in the GT 500

Yes the RCM is different than your PCM.There are 8 different modules in the GT 500

cool so i can have it safely updated without returning to stock?--this is an update everyone is going to have to have done it would be nice to to without a reflashing

NO NEED TO REFLASH YOUR PERFORMANCE TUNE BACK TO STOCK, THEY ONLY REFLASH THE AIR BAG CONTROL MODULE. TAKES 20 MINUTES. STAY WITH YOUR CAR AND IF IT REASURES YOU ASK THEM IF THEY ARE REFLASHING THE PCM THAT CONTROLS YOUR ENGINE. I ALREADY DID THAT AND HAD MY RECALL DONE AND THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT KNOWS ABOUT MY TUNE AND THEY SAID THEY ONLY REFLASHED THE AIR BAG CONTROL MODULE. THE TECH CONFIRMED IT ALSO.

NO NEED TO REFLASH YOUR PERFORMANCE TUNE BACK TO STOCK, THEY ONLY REFLASH THE AIR BAG CONTROL MODULE. TAKES 20 MINUTES. STAY WITH YOUR CAR AND IF IT REASURES YOU ASK THEM IF THEY ARE REFLASHING THE PCM THAT CONTROLS YOUR ENGINE. I ALREADY DID THAT AND HAD MY RECALL DONE AND THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT KNOWS ABOUT MY TUNE AND THEY SAID THEY ONLY REFLASHED THE AIR BAG CONTROL MODULE. THE TECH CONFIRMED IT ALSO.

AWESOME thanks!

Hmmm, never even considered this. I have the JLT/Evo tune in my car, and had the recall work done this afternoon. No noticeable difference of any kind.

Just got my recall notice yesterday. Think I will go back to stock before bringing into shop; Can the shop note that I have a CAI on the vehicle? That would be my concern if I have a engine warranty claim in the future.

Well I can confirm that the RCM update does NOT interfere with the powertrain control module...so all of us with custom tunes...no problem. My airbag update is done, which I am happy about since I have a daughter about 2 years away from the front seat.

All the more reason to take all but the drivers seat out :hysterical: Just think about the weight savings... And then you could run a cross bar off the roll bar hoop down to the pass. side floor board. Damn, this whole recall thing is a blessing in disguise :happy feet: