ShelbySteve

The $64,000 Brembo question

I have looked into the $64,000 question on why matching Brembos where not put on our GT500s from the factory. When I first got my car and went to various car shows, it was obvious to me that Ford should have put matching Brembos front and back. Look at the Z06 ,porche, ferrari. Even the Mitsubishi Evo. They all have a COMPLETE brake system. Well I called Brembo and here is the answer from them. Thought everybody should know.

ShelbySteve

Dear Steve,

I was forwarded your e-mail to Geoff Wilsey with the question about a rear brake upgrade on your Ford Mustang GT500. It is a common question that unfortunately doesn't have a good answer.

The rear axle Ford uses on the GT500 and GT models has too much movement to use a fixed caliper as Brembo uses. The movement would cause the disc/rotor to interfer with the mouth or opening in the caliper causing damage to the disc/rotor and caliper, where as the OE rear caliper Ford uses is a floating caliper which allows the disc movement by moving the outer half of the caliper away from the disc when it hit by the disc. This condition is found normally under medium - high speed turns only.

We did some testing with Ford on a rear Brembo system, but the choice of the current rear axle by Ford removed our rear calipers as an option.

The red calipers are very popular, but not a choice by Ford for their car builds. We do have aftermarket Brembo upgrades for the 05+ Mustangs and GT500s with red calipers, but the system requires new calipers and discs, but again no upgrade for the rear for the reasons noted above. More information can be found at our website www.brembo.com/us or calling our US distributor of our GT (Gran Tursimo) Brake Upgrades at 714.438.1116.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you,

Jim Hodgman

Manager High Performance Division

BREMBO NORTH AMERICA INC.

1585 Sunflower Avenue, Costa Mesa, CA 92626-1532

T (714) 460-7413 F (714) 641-5827

Toll Free (800) 325-3994 ext 234

jhodgman@brembo.com

www.brembo.com

Edited by ShelbySteve

A simple answer to resolve the perceived oversight could be as easy as installing a c-clip eliminator kit on the axle half shafts to lock them in axial position and do a fixed caliper conversion yourself. Don't forget about a parking brake solution....

What does 64K have to do with it ?

I think it is just a play on the TV show "Who wants to be a Millionaire", but what do I know...I'm just a dog? :dog:

Just a saying. By the way grabber, I took my car into Galpin today. They ordered a new clutch and Transmission for me. Should be in by May 1. Thanks for your help.

Steve

GOOD INFO!

If I remember correctly, I met a guy last year who works at AAI & said they put 11.8-inch rear brake rotors with

2-piston TRW calipers on the rear axle. TRW has a long history & a good reputation for quality within FoMoCo & since the GT500 has 57% of the weight in the front of the car and 43% is in the rear for a Coupe (Convertibles have a 56%in the front and 44 %in the rear) I'm gald they focused on the awesome front braking power with 14.0-inch rotors & 4-piston Brembos .

Just a saying. By the way grabber, I took my car into Galpin today. They ordered a new clutch and Transmission for me. Should be in by May 1. Thanks for your help.

Steve

Right on Steve. I am glad it's coming together for you. It's a good feeling to know the parts are on the way.

Is there a problem with the stock rear brakes on the GT500?????????????

Is there a problem with the stock rear brakes on the GT500?????????????

I thought the 4 piston BAER brakes in the rear on SS are fixed and not floating...so if that is true how come Brembo did not find a solution for the solid axle and have the rear brembo brakes?

I think it is just a play on the TV show "Who wants to be a Millionaire", but what do I know...I'm just a dog? :dog:

The $64,000 Question was a popular United States television game show from 1955 to 1958. The $64,000 Challenge (1956-58) was its popular spinoff show.

just a cut and paste from an internet resource :superhero:

you guys are just too young :superhero:

The $64,000 Question was a popular United States television game show from 1955 to 1958. The $64,000 Challenge (1956-58) was its popular spinoff show.

just a cut and paste from an internet resource :superhero:

you guys are just too young :superhero:

So, KCMO - do you think these gals are too young also? :hysterical:

HSURB

post-6100-1207791501_thumb.jpg

post-6100-1207791501_thumb.jpg

HSURB

Nope! Send them my way :hysterical:

HSURB

I think I need to bring them home with me, and carefully verify their ages :happy feet:

gosh, it's terrible to think that I am now old enough to not be embarrassed to be a dirty old man :censored:

Yes. They look like shit!

Ya I guess they do look wimpy on the GT500, but they look just fine on the Mustang GT??????????

"THATS IT............... :censored: NOW IM :censored: OFF TOO"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

:hysterical:

"64K Dollar Question"="19K ADM on the GT500 Coupe"??????????????? :hysterical:

I think I need to bring them home with me, and carefully verify their ages :happy feet:

gosh, it's terrible to think that I am now old enough to not be embarrassed to be a dirty old man :censored:

:angry22::banghead:

Having a SGT, which comes with stock Mustang GT brakes, I had no illusion that the brakes on my car were adequate. When we were at Mr. Shelby's B-Day Bash in January, we had a good mix of SGTs and GT500s. It became obvious on the road course that the SGT brakes were very far from okay for that environment. The GT500s did better but the overall verdict was that more brakes were needed on both cars.

When I put my SGT in to be supercharged, I found myself in the same boat as you GT500 guys -- how do you stop these monsters? In the end, I found that AP Racing offered the best package if you can live with the cost. The setup replaces everything front and rear with very serious two piece rotors, six piston calipers in front and four piston calipers in the rear, stainless steel brake lines, and brake pads that are up to the task.

And, oh yeah, the calipers are red (or black if you like) front and back.

I confess that if I had a GT500, I would want more stopping power than comes stock. The GT500s are a few hundred pounds heavier than the SGTs (that motor is worth the extra weight) so if I can rationalize the AP Racing set up on mine, you can on your cars, too, if you want.

The hunt for better brakes at a reasonable cost is a never ending one. The AP Racing setup is about $6,000 without installation so I trust you can feel my pain. If somebody can come up with a superior package at about half that cost, they will make a mint from the people on this Forum.

Jim

How does Mr Shelby solve the problem with the rear Baer brakes on the SS

13'' floating caliper if memory serves me correct. yes. 3k 6-piston baers in front and all they do in the rear is bump up the disc size....i guess its because aAerican car manufactures havent figured out how to get this thing called 50/50 weight distribution, if the weights in the front, thats where u need the stopping power.

still could use some nice single piston brembos out rear like the evo's/sti's use.

I have looked into the $64,000 question on why matching Brembos where not put on our GT500s from the factory. When I first got my car and went to various car shows, it was obvious to me that Ford should have put matching Brembos front and back. Look at the Z06 ,porche, ferrari. Even the Mitsubishi Evo. They all have a COMPLETE brake system. Well I called Brembo and here is the answer from them. Thought everybody should know.

ShelbySteve

Dear Steve,

I was forwarded your e-mail to Geoff Wilsey with the question about a rear brake upgrade on your Ford Mustang GT500. It is a common question that unfortunately doesn't have a good answer.

The rear axle Ford uses on the GT500 and GT models has too much movement to use a fixed caliper as Brembo uses. The movement would cause the disc/rotor to interfer with the mouth or opening in the caliper causing damage to the disc/rotor and caliper, where as the OE rear caliper Ford uses is a floating caliper which allows the disc movement by moving the outer half of the caliper away from the disc when it hit by the disc. This condition is found normally under medium - high speed turns only.

We did some testing with Ford on a rear Brembo system, but the choice of the current rear axle by Ford removed our rear calipers as an option.

The red calipers are very popular, but not a choice by Ford for their car builds. We do have aftermarket Brembo upgrades for the 05+ Mustangs and GT500s with red calipers, but the system requires new calipers and discs, but again no upgrade for the rear for the reasons noted above. More information can be found at our website www.brembo.com/us or calling our US distributor of our GT (Gran Tursimo) Brake Upgrades at 714.438.1116.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you,

Jim Hodgman

Manager High Performance Division

BREMBO NORTH AMERICA INC.

1585 Sunflower Avenue, Costa Mesa, CA 92626-1532

T (714) 460-7413 F (714) 641-5827

Toll Free (800) 325-3994 ext 234

jhodgman@brembo.com

www.brembo.com

That is the same answer I got from them when I called them a while back.

Now here, is the rest of the story! ?

I was at the good guys car show in Pleasanton last weekend and Brembo was there as well. While talking to the rep I asked if they were going to make a rear 4 piston brake for the GT500.

I was told they indeed have a racing brake set up and it would be out (Believe he said in) May. I don’t remember if he said it was a dual 6 piston or a 6F 4R set up. I shrugged me shoulders and said that’s nice, thanked him and walked away thinking, your just a little late for all us SS owners……..

So the new 64,000 dollar question is (for what its worth) Do they really have a working brake system or was it Bull :censored:

If its ture, this may be good news for all you non SS owners, you may want to call them and see if you can get any info from them.

I thought the 4 piston BAER brakes in the rear on SS are fixed and not floating...so if that is true how come Brembo did not find a solution for the solid axle and have the rear brembo brakes?

Are you sure about the rear brakes on the SS? The BAER kit only talks about the 6 piston front brakes.

Looks like the SS will have the stock rear brakes,

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24557

Edited by GT500-07

Install a Ford 9" rear (or axle conversion )and problem solved ....you could then run any brake set up you want. Call Baer Brakes and they'll tell you about it.

This should of been titled. "The 1000 brembo question" Because in reality that's probably all it was. I hate to say it but Ford cut a lot of corners on this car. I'm sure the only reason we have fronts is because Ford didn't have a choice. Mustangs have always been a good bang for the buck, and i think they still are. If brembo couldn't come with brakes for a straight axle then there just retarded.

This should of been titled. "The 1000 brembo question" Because in reality that's probably all it was. I hate to say it but Ford cut a lot of corners on this car. I'm sure the only reason we have fronts is because Ford didn't have a choice. Mustangs have always been a good bang for the buck, and i think they still are. If brembo couldn't come with brakes for a straight axle then there just retarded.

love watching top gear, that little british fella makes me laugh, im sure most are familiar with it?

anways, while watching it the other day, this time about the gt500, he brought up a good point.

the idea behind the mustang was the it was simply a platform, meaning no it didnt have the nice wheels or the chrome aircleaner, it didnt have the big brakes or the performance exhaust. the mustang was built with POTENTIAL, and harnessing that potential was left to the owners.

now yes the gt500 is most certianly a step up in the world, but room for improvement is still there, remember this is the 42k (LOL right....) 500HP ford monster. yes the Z06's have 6/4p calipers, $$$, but u pay for them, this could go on and on.

bottem line is, i think we are all more than happy with what we got, for what we payed for, now its up to u to take it to the next level.

13'' floating caliper if memory serves me correct. yes. 3k 6-piston baers in front and all they do in the rear is bump up the disc size....i guess its because aAerican car manufactures havent figured out how to get this thing called 50/50 weight distribution, if the weights in the front, thats where u need the stopping power.

still could use some nice single piston brembos out rear like the evo's/sti's use.

I was wrong on this one sorry for the blunder.

HSURB

At my age I would say to them " Hello my dear. Do I come here often"?