Grabber

Quarter Panel Rock Chip Protection

I added some more ventureshield to my car this evening. :)

As you now the rear quarter panels just behind the doors on our GT500's and Mustangs have a deep body side contour that can very easily pick up rock chips. My clear bra by Ventureshield installer gave me a piece of clear bra for a little project I wanted to try.

1st) I taped a piece of paper to the quarter panel.

ClearbraQ-panels001.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels002.jpg

2nd) I traced out the contour on the paper.

ClearbraQ-panels004.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels005.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels006.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels007.jpg

Edited by Grabber

3rd) I cut out the paper.

ClearbraQ-panels009.jpg

4th) I stuck it back on the car to check the fit and I found out that it did not fit very well so I added some blue tape to the paper and traced an outline on it again.

ClearbraQ-panels010.jpg

5th) I cut the new template modification out and stuck it back on the car to see how it fit. I had to do this 2 times to get it just right.

ClearbraQ-panels011.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels010.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels012.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels013.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels015.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels016.jpg

6th) I traced the template onto the sheet of clear bra material and cut it out.

ClearbraQ-panels017.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels018.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels019.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels021.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels022.jpg

7th) I cut the piece out, and made the leading edge at the door a quarter inch long so it could wrap into the door jamb.

ClearbraQ-panels023.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels035.jpg

8th) I cleaned the surface of the car to remove the wax and then peeled the backing off and applied it to the car. I applied it dry with no solution and just stuck one edge and then worked the piece very slowly to the other side making sure not to trap any bubbles.

ClearbraQ-panels024.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels025.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels026.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels027.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels028.jpg

ClearbraQ-panels030.jpg

Edited by Grabber

Man this stuff is strong. I put a piece in my vice and pulled on it.

ClearbraQ-panels045.jpg

I pulled pretty hard......and it stretched

ClearbraQ-panels046.jpg

I got a better grip and tried to break it. NO WAY.

ClearbraQ-panels047.jpg

I had my installer do the same thing yesterday when they did my clear bra install....

Great minds obviously think alike! :happy feet:

I had my installer do the same thing yesterday when they did my clear bra install....

Great minds obviously think alike! :happy feet:

It took me about an hour to do this project. I bet he did it quickly.

I took my time because I did not want to cut it in place on my car. I see that some of the installers do it that way. The risk is if they push to hard on the knife...it scores the clear coat. I don't have a good feel for doing that.

Very nice job! Is it really that invisible looking in person?

Al

Yes,

Here's a video of the front of the car if you have not seen it.

th_Sep052007-VID000011.jpg

Some pic's too.

th_ClearBracuringintheSun002.jpg

th_ClearBracuringintheSun004.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime010.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime004.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime001.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime002.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime032.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime033.jpg

th_ClearBra2ndtime039.jpg

Those questions and many more are answered in here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=10902&hl=

Thanks Rob. Do you know of anyone with it done on a Black car or Black with the Flat Black stripes like the SS? Just wonder what it looks like on darker colors, if you can notice it more or not? If Flat Black stripes change color?

Al

Thanks Rob. Do you know of anyone with it done on a Black car or Black with the Flat Black stripes like the SS? Just wonder what it looks like on darker colors, if you can notice it more or not? If Flat Black stripes change color?

Al

Al,

Last Sat, I had a big gathering ot my house. One of our members Pam (pjo) has a Mustang that has been modified to a Boss 302. The top stripe is flat black. Pam has the clear bra on her car. The same installer that did mine, did Pams.

Pam told me that the only thing that she did not like was that her flat black stripe now has some gloss to it on the area where the bra is installed. Here are a couple pic's of Pams car. I would not of noticed it if she would not of pointed it out to me.

th_SecondannualPNWMeetandgreet5-24--30.jpg

th_SecondannualPNWMeetandgreet5-24--29.jpg

Al,

Last Sat, I had a big gathering ot my house. One of our members Pam (pjo) has a Mustang that has been modified to a Boss 302. The top stripe is flat black. Pam has the clear bra on her car. The same installer that did mine, did Pams.

Pam told me that the only thing that she did not like was that her flat black stripe now has some gloss to it on the area where the bra is installed. Here are a couple pic's of Pams car. I would not of noticed it if she would not of pointed it out to me.

th_SecondannualPNWMeetandgreet5-24--30.jpg

th_SecondannualPNWMeetandgreet5-24--29.jpg

Thanks Rob,

That is what I was afraid of, the flat black stripe becoming glossy. Although from the picture I could not tell.

Al

Thanks Rob,

That is what I was afraid of, the flat black stripe becoming glossy. Although from the picture I could not tell.

Al

You could PM the member pjo for more info and a better pic if you wanted to.

You could PM the member pjo for more info and a better pic if you wanted to.

Nice job Rob.I have a red Shelby and you can't see it unless you are looking for it.

Rob, you ARE the man. Thanks to your instrukshunal pikchurs and vidios, I got the courage to try this out for myself. Below is the picture of the final product of my recent invisible bra installation. I did the front bumper all by myself. I won't be embarrassed if you tell me how great it turned out if you can even see the bra on the car. Looks nearly like it came from the factory. A discerning eye like yours might notice a bubble or two, but I am 9.99% sure that those will go away with a little baking and curing in the hot Southern California summer sun. Thanks again, Grabber, for the tips and insights that made this project as incredible as it is!

IMG_1863-1.jpg

Rob, you ARE the man. Thanks to your instrukshunal pikchurs and vidios, I got the courage to try this out for myself. Below is the picture of the final product of my recent invisible bra installation. I did the front bumper all by myself. I won't be embarrassed if you tell me how great it turned out if you can even see the bra on the car. Looks nearly like it came from the factory. A discerning eye like yours might notice a bubble or two, but I am 9.99% sure that those will go away with a little baking and curing in the hot Southern California summer sun. Thanks again, Grabber, for the tips and insights that made this project as incredible as it is!

IMG_1863-1.jpg

It should cure ot fine.

:hysterical: