Got a call from my dealer today saying that Ford wants them to replace the scoop on my 08 SGT convertible. Have any 08 owners had a problem with their scoops? Mine is OK as far as I know. I'll also have them address the A-pillar rattle, exhaust rattle and discolored hood pin lanyards while I'm there.

Like many 08's, my SGT had to have its hood scoop and stripes replaced. After one year the new scoop is still perfect! Below are before and after photos.

Before:

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

After:

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

Edited by SoFL05GT

Dale's 08 is at Tasca now, hood sccop replacement, restripe the whole car, fix the "corrosion" looking development around the hood pins......

replacing the non functioning hood pins themselves too....

all under warranty.

I guess quality control was on a bathroom break when this car was released.

a story repeated, unfortunately, 100s of times....as evidenced by the length of these threads!

Edited by mywickedshelby

hood sccop replacement, restripe the whole car, fix the "corrosion" looking development around the hood pins......

Mine also has the "corrosion" bubbling up around the hood pin plates, and a bit along the hood's leading edge, too.

Jer

Mine also has the "corrosion" bubbling up around the hood pin plates, and a bit along the hood's leading edge, too.

Jer

Ive been told its a chemical reaction between the hood pin and the aluminum hood.

First they said they would replace the hood, they Im sure they realized that since they

arent changing the hood pins, its only going to happen again down the road,

so they just scrap and repaint the "corroded" areas.

So when this happens again down the road and your warranty has expired....

go pound salt!

Ive been told its a chemical reaction between the hood pin and the aluminum hood.

First they said they would replace the hood, they Im sure they realized that since they

arent changing the hood pins, its only going to happen again down the road,

so they just scrap and repaint the "corroded" areas.

So when this happens again down the road and your warranty has expired....

go pound salt!

Yup.

I think the billet hood pins would fare better. After my repair is done, I'm gonna switch over.

Of course, if I just get a Deep Draw hood, it won't matter, I suppose.

Jer

Dale's 08 is at Tasca now, hood sccop replacement, restripe the whole car, fix the "corrosion" looking development around the hood pins......

all under warranty.

I guess quality control was on a bathroom break when this car was released.

a story repeated, unfortunately, 100s of times....as evidenced by the length of these threads!

I thought someone on these forums mentioned that Tasca was not doing these type

of warranty repairs. I'd like to know because I'm planning to do mine this summer.

-Tom

Edited by tpow96

There is a lot of info in the Hood Pin thread.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34372-hood-pin-thread/

The general consensus was to replace the stainless crews with aluminum screws which I have done though I never had any of the corrosion issues I figured better safe than sorry!

There is a lot of info in the Hood Pin thread.

http://www.teamshelb...ood-pin-thread/

The general consensus was to replace the stainless crews with aluminum screws which I have done though I never had any of the corrosion issues I figured better safe than sorry!

I seem to remember that... hmmm... sounds familiar, and makes sense.

Jer

I thought someone on these forums mentioned that Tasca was not doing these type

of warranty repairs. I'd like to know because I'm planning to do mine this summer.

-Tom

Tasca is a Ford dealer first and a Shelby Mod shop second.

They will perform any Ford warranty repair work as a Ford dealer. Not sure how that rumor started.

stopped by the shop today to check on 3184 while she is in for scoop and painted stripes. One word: Awesome! I will take some pictures and post when she comes home tomorrow.

on a side note a Ford GT is in and man was it tore up! Shop has over 140 hours in paint work and about $140k in parts. I am suprised it didn't get totaled.

Tasca is a Ford dealer first and a Shelby Mod shop second.

They will perform any Ford warranty repair work as a Ford dealer. Not sure how that rumor started.

Jeff, it got started right Here, starting in post #5 (you replied in post #6), in the "The only Hood Scoop Fix!" thread. The comment was in the aftermath of ilmor's scoop fix there last year. Yes, your comment in post #6 is still very valid, and the course I'll probably end up taking. But if Tasca will do it (and did a fine job with ilmor) then I'd like to establish some relationship there.

And yes, I don't post much, probably read too much, and have the curse of remembering minor crap like this.

-Tom

Edited by tpow96

Yup.

I think the billet hood pins would fare better. After my repair is done, I'm gonna switch over.

Of course, if I just get a Deep Draw hood, it won't matter, I suppose.

Jer

Bud said the billet pins on DD hoods are not recomended because the angle is steeper.

Mike

Bud said the billet pins on DD hoods are not recomended because the angle is steeper.

Mike

Hmmm... interesting.

Well, at any rate, there won't be any "galvanic" issues with the old-style pins to worry about, I guess!

Jer

M1 004.jpgM1 007.jpgM1 005.jpgM1 006.jpg

Should or should not. I don't want dealers molesting #182 multi times. Theadore Robins, Ken Grode, Huntington Beach Ford, Mills are my choices.

M1 004.jpg

M1 007.jpg

M1 005.jpg

M1 006.jpg

Hmmm... interesting.

Well, at any rate, there won't be any "galvanic" issues with the old-style pins to worry about, I guess!

Jer

You said Galvanic huh huh huh. Here is my first experience with "Our" hood wants. And I asked Bud to make the billets work because I've seen them on others. It seems to be expensive.

M1 001.jpg

Mike

M1 001.jpg

Edited by mikesdream

Should or should not. I don't want dealers molesting #182 multi times. Theadore Robins, Ken Grode, Huntington Beach Ford, Mills are my choices.

Wow... that first photo hurts to look at.

My scoop's showing light under it, the hood pin area's corroding, and the stripes are DESTROYED. I showed someone at the Bash, and he was just amazed. His SGT looked great, original issue stripes, still nice and shiny. He said, "Wow, that ruins the whole car"... cry.gif

I've also had to re-weld the muffler brackets that broke off. Someone told me there was an "incorrect hanger location" on some early FRPP mufflers, they won't stay on. Not sure if that's a valid claim, but I guess it's possible. One's broken again, re-welding's never a sure thing.

Jer

Jeff, it got started right Here, starting in post #5 (you replied in post #6), in the "The only Hood Scoop Fix!" thread. The comment was in the aftermath of ilmor's scoop fix there last year. Yes, your comment in post #6 is still very valid, and the course I'll probably end up taking. But if Tasca will do it (and did a fine job with ilmor) then I'd like to establish some relationship there.

And yes, I don't post much, probably read too much, and have the curse of remembering minor crap like this.

-Tom

Hey Tom,

I didn't meant to say or imply that Tasca wouldn't do warranty work on hood scoops. I honestly don't see any reference to Tasca at all in my post or anything about them not honoring a warranty job?

What I was a trying to communicate, and I guess not well here, was that if your dealer is less than confident of their ability, or you are of their ability, you can ask them to allow you to contract the work to a body shop of your choice to do the work. The caveat, as I have said, is you will nee to pay any difference in price from what Ford pays the dealer, and I've learned since that chances are the dealer will require you to absolve them of any responsibility.

It's still not pretty but if people download all the warranty info, and the info in this thread, they should have a MUCH easier time with their dealer and getting the job done right.

Hey Tom,

I didn't meant to say or imply that Tasca wouldn't do warranty work on hood scoops. I honestly don't see any reference to Tasca at all in my post or anything about them not honoring a warranty job?

What I was a trying to communicate, and I guess not well here, was that if your dealer is less than confident of their ability, or you are of their ability, you can ask them to allow you to contract the work to a body shop of your choice to do the work. The caveat, as I have said, is you will nee to pay any difference in price from what Ford pays the dealer, and I've learned since that chances are the dealer will require you to absolve them of any responsibility.

It's still not pretty but if people download all the warranty info, and the info in this thread, they should have a MUCH easier time with their dealer and getting the job done right.

Roger that. And I very much appreciate all the effort you and others have done on this thread to

educate the rest of us. Here in the Boston area, what I know of the Ford dealers doesn't inspire any

trust. I'll probably go to Tasca armed with all this knowledge and ask them if they can do it themselves

or help me process what I need to get it done at a local body shop. Either way, I get to check out the

Mod Shop down there.

-Tom

Car is done and it looks awesome. It was raining today so she is still in the shop until monday. The shop charged me 0 for the painted stripes. They said the cost of painting was the same as removing the old stripes and installing the new ones. The scoop looks amazing! Flush and functional. The shop went to a Harely shop and bought some hex bolts with nylon acorn nut instead of using the rivots. Painted stripes are the only way to go Shelby should switch to painted on stripes instead of the cheap vinyl. We spend a lot of $$$$ for these cars painted stripes should be standard issue. Pictures on monday.

Car is done and it looks awesome. It was raining today so she is still in the shop until monday. The shop charged me 0 for the painted stripes. They said the cost of painting was the same as removing the old stripes and installing the new ones. The scoop looks amazing! Flush and functional. The shop went to a Harely shop and bought some hex bolts with nylon acorn nut instead of using the rivots. Painted stripes are the only way to go Shelby should switch to painted on stripes instead of the cheap vinyl. We spend a lot of $$ for these cars painted stripes should be standard issue. Pictures on monday.

Looking forward to seeing them! Congrats...

Jer

Huntington Beach Ford is out. Service MGR did not call me back. Service lackie did not know the dif between SGT and GT500. Probably will leave it orig with the day light seal. For sure my current scope will not wrinkle the stripes because it does not touch them : )

Mike

Roger that. And I very much appreciate all the effort you and others have done on this thread to

educate the rest of us. Here in the Boston area, what I know of the Ford dealers doesn't inspire any

trust. I'll probably go to Tasca armed with all this knowledge and ask them if they can do it themselves

or help me process what I need to get it done at a local body shop. Either way, I get to check out the

Mod Shop down there.

-Tom

Tom if you get in touch with Dennis (dgomes@tasca.com) at Tasca he will put you in touch with whoever you need to contact if not Dennis himself. You may be able to take pics and send them in to them and they can follow up with the warranty. Maybe I don't know for sure.... I do know other people have gone up there to get it done. Good luck....

On another note I found a local dealer here in PA that does not have a body shop and therefore farms out all their work to a very good local body shop who did a fantastic job on mine, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones! Again good luck!

Finally received my car back Thursday night, with the stripes PAINTED on the hood only. Will post pics after I take them today in the light. Looked like a pretty good match at night to the factory stripes. Rest of car will be painted this summer in my buddies shop. Hood scoop it tight to the hood.

Your warranty is almost up. I can't think of any redone hood that looks as bad as this! Download the warranty info and process, get a claim filed,and find a body shop. Get it fixed.

Wow... that first photo hurts to look at.

My scoop's showing light under it, the hood pin area's corroding, and the stripes are DESTROYED. I showed someone at the Bash, and he was just amazed. His SGT looked great, original issue stripes, still nice and shiny. He said, "Wow, that ruins the whole car"... cry.gif

I've also had to re-weld the muffler brackets that broke off. Someone told me there was an "incorrect hanger location" on some early FRPP mufflers, they won't stay on. Not sure if that's a valid claim, but I guess it's possible. One's broken again, re-welding's never a sure thing.

Jer

Jer,

The broken muffler hangers are a warranty item and the muffler would have been replaced by Ford. At least you need to download the warranty info, go to a dealer, and file a claim for the items and see what happens. Posting here and reading all this stuff isn't going to do you any good if you're not going to do that.

Your only area where there may be an issue is the stripes which are out of warranty and could be seen to be caused by environmental issues but the cost to redo the hood stripes, at an experienced auto graphics shop, is not that bad in the "big flick", but at the every least get it in and see what the outcome is.

Good luck!

Jer,

The broken muffler hangers are a warranty item and the muffler would have been replaced by Ford. At least you need to download the warranty info, go to a dealer, and file a claim for the items and see what happens. Posting here and reading all this stuff isn't going to do you any good if you're not going to do that.

Your only area where there may be an issue is the stripes which are out of warranty and could be seen to be caused by environmental issues but the cost to redo the hood stripes, at an experienced auto graphics shop, is not that bad in the "big flick", but at the every least get it in and see what the outcome is.

Good luck!

Jeff,

Not griping, just sharing.

I'm currently setting up all my warranty work, gonna follow the procedure. My posts weren't in desperation or anything, I'm not trying to add to anyone's grief or frustration. Just communicating with my fellow owners.

BTW, I can't see where my stripes would be "out of warranty". Can you explain that?

Jer

Jeff,

Not griping, just sharing.

I'm currently setting up all my warranty work, gonna follow the procedure. My posts weren't in desperation or anything, I'm not trying to add to anyone's grief or frustration. Just communicating with my fellow owners.

BTW, I can't see where my stripes would be "out of warranty". Can you explain that?

Jer

Jer,

When you posted that you repaired the hanger rather than submit a claim it seemed you weren't working these things through Ford. You deserve a good muffler and all and shouldn't have to be welding anything on a new car.

As for the stripes (see the stripe thread) the latest word from Ford is the stripes are only warranted for 12 mo or 12,000 mi. and not at all in the case of environmental damage.

That said I have seen people post at times there maybe some flexibility in that regard depending on the circumstances of the car,type and extent of damage etc., so for sure submit a claim and see if they accept it. Can't hurt and you may luck out.

Good luck!

snagged SGT 3184 from the shop between snow storms. Here are some pictures in the garage.

scoop 001.jpg

scoop 003.jpg

scoop 005.jpg

scoop 001.jpg

scoop 003.jpg

scoop 005.jpg

The painted stripes look great! The only problem I see from your photos is that the surface of the hood around where the scoop bolts down is uneven, probably because they tightened the underside nuts against the innermost skin, not just the outermost skin closest to the scoop. This caused the two skins to pull together some during the tightening process. I hope I'm wrong, but check it out yourself. If so, they just need to unfasten the nuts and drill out the innermost skin enough that the nuts only tighten against the outermost skin. -Steve