Rachane

How do you protect Carrol's Signature from Fading?

The signed dash plaque that fits between the two center A/C vents is a nice item, but unfortunately is not shielded from direct sunlight most of the time ... and Carroll signed it in magic-marker, which is going to fade with prolonged exposure to the sun.

Merely covering the plaque with a clear gloss isn't going to save the day, and might mess up the plaque and/or blur the signature.

Some sort of small shading device is called for, but tricky to do and not look ugly. Need also to be careful with anything adhesive to the surrounding material, so as not to deface it or rip its surface finish off.

Temporarily I have stuffed a piece of grippy-but-nonadhesive black rubber shelf-lining in between the vents and the [inadequate] dashboard-top overhang. It does the job but looks atrocious.

Any better ideas?

Michael

The signed dash plaque that fits between the two center A/C vents is a nice item, but unfortunately is not shielded from direct sunlight most of the time ... and Carroll signed it in magic-marker, which is going to fade with prolonged exposure to the sun.

Merely covering the plaque with a clear gloss isn't going to save the day, and might mess up the plaque and/or blur the signature.

Some sort of small shading device is called for, but tricky to do and not look ugly. Need also to be careful with anything adhesive to the surrounding material, so as not to deface it or rip its surface finish off.

Temporarily I have stuffed a piece of grippy-but-nonadhesive black rubber shelf-lining in between the vents and the [inadequate] dashboard-top overhang. It does the job but looks atrocious.

Any better ideas?

Michael

most of us are using a spray coat with UV protection. Krylon product if I recall correctly. You can do a search and find several threads. The first few coats need to be very light.

Mine has nothing on it, I don't want the clear to fade and crack after 7-8 years.

:nonono: you pessimist................. :D

edit, I'll post back here in in July 2016 and let you know how mine is holding up :hysterical:

Edited by KCMO-GT500

:nonono: you pessimist................. :D

edit, I'll post back here in in July 2016 and let you know how mine is holding up :hysterical:

Me too! Mines coated with Krylon 1309.

Has anyone tried to take their's off after adhering it to the dash? :headscratch:

couple of times, but I only removed small strips of the tape cover paper on the top and bottom of the plate.

My car rarely sits out in the sun. I guess tossing a rag over the dash when parked will solve that problem.

My car rarely sits out in the sun. I guess tossing a rag over the dash when parked will solve that problem.

I'm with you. I did nothing with mine. The krylon is risky with how one applies the coat...Too much and the signature is ruined.

Although my Shelby is not parked out in the sun much, other means of protecting the signature is overkill and scientifically provides

no more protection than leaving it alone. Clear will breakdown, fade or even crack over time.

When outside for prolonged periods, just cover the plaque.

ItalianStallion

Mine has nothing on it, I don't want the clear to fade and crack after 7-8 years.

I hope the sharpie will hold and you will still be able to see it in 7-8 years.... :hysterical:

I had a hospital badge for 4 years and it faded very bad in my truck.

I think my eventual "better" solution will be a small rectangle of black plastic, attached to black "sponges" at the rear (top and bottom). The idea is for the compressed sponges to hold the little piece of black plastic horizontally out far enough to shade the plaque. The compressed sponges will not adhere to either the A/C vents below or the underside of the dash hangover above, thus will not damage them. Easily slipped on and off as desired.

By "sponge" I mean something similar to a sponge, such as the compressionable "shelf-liner" material that I am using temporarily. The idea is just to hold the "mini-shade" in place by pressure top/bottom, not with any kind of adhesive.

Will fiddle with this for awhile and repost here if I come up with anything that looks decent.

Was thinking also about some sort of opaque static-cling piece to fit neatly on top of the plaque, but I am wary of anything directly touching the signature. And of course it would be nice for the "solution" to allow the plaque to still be seen by passengers.

Michael

Per Sharpie they said the following... in an email to me.

Thank you for reaching out to us about our Sharpie® Fine Point Marker. We unfortunately, do not suggest any chemicals or products to seal or protect an autograph because what happens as you mentioned the chemicals mix with the alcohol based ink that makes up the Sharpie and will then cause it to bleed, this includes Scotch Guard. So again, we do not have a suggested product for you to use. You may be better off leaving it the way it is. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to our marketing and quality control departments.

Edited by ColdwaterHotrod

Per Sharpie they said the following... in an email to me.

Thank you for reaching out to us about our Sharpie® Fine Point Marker. We unfortunately, do not suggest any chemicals or products to seal or protect an autograph because what happens as you mentioned the chemicals mix with the alcohol based ink that makes up the Sharpie and will then cause it to bleed, this includes Scotch Guard. So again, we do not have a suggested product for you to use. You may be better off leaving it the way it is. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to our marketing and quality control departments.

Oh really about the Scotch Guard??? I have been Scotch Guarding it once a month for the past 7 month now. Perhaps I should put some band-aids around the signature to stop the "bleeding" that ain't happening. But what do I know....I'm not supposed to know anything about Shelby's, cars, life or all things in general.......:hysterical3::hysterical:

Edited by ShelbyKindaGuy

Oh really about the Scotch Guard??? I have been Scotch Guarding it once a month for the past 7 month now. Perhaps I should put some band-aids around the signature to stop the "bleeding" that ain't happening. But what do I know....I'm not supposed to know anything about Shelby's, cars, life or all things in general....... :hysterical3::hysterical:

WOW!

I finally found out you don't know :censored: about the differences between a GT500 "hand signed" dash plaque vs. your SGT's ink stamped signature plaque.

The GT500 dash plaques are purchased seperately after the sale of the car & Mr. Shelby then takes the time to use a Black Sharpie pen to hand sign each one of them for a "True Carroll Shelby" hand signed signature with no 2 being the same like the SGT's are :doh:

Had the poster listen to your suggestion to use Scotch Gaurd he would have watched his signature melt or run before his very eye's.

So I guess your not so smart after all & we all can all laugh at :hysterical3: Shelbykindaguy for not doing his homework before shooting his mouth off .....AGAIN :hysterical2:

SGT's look like this ---> post-768-1216343727.jpg

GT500's look like this --->post-768-1216344070.jpg

Edited by ColdwaterHotrod

WOW!

I finally found out you don't know :censored: about the differences between a GT500 "hand signed" dash plaque vs. your SGT's ink stamped signature plaque.

The GT500 dash plaques are purchased seperately after the sale of the car & Mr. Shelby then takes the time to use a Black Sharpie pen to hand sign each one of them for a "True Carroll Shelby" hand signed signature with no 2 being the same like the SGT's are :doh:

Had the poster listen to your suggestion to use Scotch Gaurd he would have watched his signature melt or run before his very eye's.

So I guess your not so smart after all & we all can all laugh at :hysterical3: Shelbykindaguy for not doing his homework before shooting his mouth off .....AGAIN :hysterical2:

SGT's look like this ---> post-768-1216343727.jpg

GT500's look like this --->post-768-1216344070.jpg

Alright I will concede the fact that I was wrong on this one. The problem however remains that you think I don't know a damn thing about anything and I can assure you that is not the case as I have been correct on many of my posts. I don't admit to knowing everything because no one on this planet does. But when I am wrong and I find out that I am truly wrong (as I was in this case) I own up to the fact openly rather than use character assassination to hide behind as people regularly do around here. If you want to make fun of that then be my guest for it will only serve to prove my point.

Edited by ShelbyKindaGuy

I used the Krylon matt finish UV protection spray and so far all is good. Mine didnt bleed or anything but I sprayed it in 92 degree weather in the sun. I put maybe 10 coats on it so we'll see if it fades or not. My Shelby is in the garage most of the time anyway and only sits out in the sun on cruise-ins and car shows. Nothing like the Shelby though..what an automobile Ford made!!

I bought a black hand towel that is in the car always to cover up Carroll's signature when the car is out parked in the daylight and I always use a window shade.