robertlane

2010 Mustang Interior

That sure shows a step backwards in the design of the air flow vents.

Jim

Guest markham51

I've seen it in person and it looks better than these pics might suggest. The one I saw had a nav system and the steering wheel had more buttons for managing the audio system etc. Its a definite improvement in my opinion especially when you order the glass roof.

Edited by markham51

After downloading it and blowing it up, I am getting mixed emotions about the functionality of the new dash. Here are some of my observations:

I can't imagine what it would take to swap out the head unit. It looks like they really designed the dash around it. There are alot more buttons on the head unit itself.

All the climate control features are centrally located low.

The A/C vents in the middle are now rectangular while the side vents are still round.

They moved the information center buttons to below the headlight switch.

The side window vent has been moved from the dash to the top of the doors.

The ambient lighting switch was moved to the other side of the console and more out of the way. I am not sure what the other button would be. That is a good improvement by itself.

The shifter knob looks the same as well as the e-brake handle.

The storage console looks much different and lower so does it mean there is less storage space?

I don't see any cup holders either unless they are under this small panel by the shifter.

The window controls and door latches have not changed.

There seems to be a little more bling with the bright chrome.

That is about all I can see at the present time. In some ways, it looks more clean and functional and other ways it doesn't.

Where is the super cool, hand signed, Carroll Shelby plaque supposed to go????

That is as very good question!

I was about to say the same thing....no room for the Shelby Dash Plaque. I guess that means no more Shelby's..... :hysterical:

Big improvement!! I'd like to see more of the seats and hopefully Ford will upgrade the carpet as well. It looks like the guages might be easier to read the way the bevels are more angled. Don't care for the square vents in the dash - should have stayed with the round ones all the way across. I love my current GT500 but I have always hated the cheapness of the Mustang interior...especially all the cheap plasticy door and dash panels!! I say hooray for the upgrade - seems to be a step in the right direction :woohoo:

Maybe a very tiny one, square inch, with a dwarfed signature. :hysterical:

I don't care for the mix of round and rectangle air registers.

+ 1

I don't care for the mix of round and rectangle air registers.

+1. However, the rest of the interior is a nice improvement IMHO, especially the automatic climate control and the new steering wheel (available with audio controls, not shown on these pics).

+1. However, the rest of the interior is a nice improvement IMHO, especially the automatic climate control and the new steering wheel (available with audio controls, not shown on these pics).

I missed the auto temp controls. That is a feature my wife and I really like but I'm not ready to trade yet.

When oh when will Ford fire the idiot that keeps designing the Mustang interiors? They have looked bland and boring for decades with no exceptions.

Jeez, make it nicer.

When oh when will Ford fire the idiot that keeps designing the Mustang interiors? They have looked bland and boring for decades with no exceptions.

Jeez, make it nicer.

All down to product placement imho.

It is a mass production car and the premium end of the line (GT500) will always suffer from any bean-counting made as a result of the V6 model. Not only do they have to be able to manufacture the parts cost effectively but also screw the car together efficiently and rapidly all to keep the cost of the end product down so that the V6 model is affordable. As they rely on economies of scale in production and re-tooling for one one isn't financially sound (ie fresh interior for the GT500, etc), the V8 and GT500 get the interior bits (with a little tarting up) from the 'family' line.

This can be done well as BMW have proven with the 3-Series line - the M3 shares the interior from the 316 (again, albeit tarted up) - but it does come down to price and how much the customer is willing to pay. The Mustang has always been a cheap performance car (even the GT500), so perhaps some concessions need to be allowed for?

All down to product placement imho.

It is a mass production car and the premium end of the line (GT500) will always suffer from any bean-counting made as a result of the V6 model. Not only do they have to be able to manufacture the parts cost effectively but also screw the car together efficiently and rapidly all to keep the cost of the end product down so that the V6 model is affordable. As they rely on economies of scale in production and re-tooling for one one isn't financially sound (ie fresh interior for the GT500, etc), the V8 and GT500 get the interior bits (with a little tarting up) from the 'family' line.

This can be done well as BMW have proven with the 3-Series line - the M3 shares the interior from the 316 (again, albeit tarted up) - but it does come down to price and how much the customer is willing to pay. The Mustang has always been a cheap performance car (even the GT500), so perhaps some concessions need to be allowed for?

Do you feel better?

I agree 100%. The signature plaque on the earlier years is a must. The different register shapes is odd. I'll keep what I have.

centerstack.jpg

The square center a/c vents look like poop. The a/c control/radio dials needs to slope to about 30 degrees, and tilt to the driver 15 degrees. The shifter then needs moved back. Of course this is my opinion only.

This whole 'refresh' is to make them look more like than 67-68 model years I think, as opposed to ours which look more like the 64-66.

Check out this interior photo of a 68 coupe and compare the lines to the 2010 interior shot above.

Ken

post-20883-1225922574_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1225922574_thumb.jpg

Sure looks like the designers were looking at the same photo. Does look some what like the 68`I`ll would like to see one up close first before I really say YA or Na.