My experience was very similar but different. When I brought my car to Shelby American for the GT/SC upgrade. When I was picking it up I mentioned to Bud that I was getting the dreaded lanyard rust and they hadn't noticed it. [Which was odd because I was in Colorado low humidity and the car never saw rain]. Anyway, Bud made a phone call to Scott Drake and I went over to their location and asked for the right person and was handed a set for no charge. Bud installed them while I waited.

So the ones they replaced were they the same material as the rusted ones?

So the ones they replaced were they the same material as the rusted ones?

No, there was a redesign - new material I think on the braided metal to the screw terminations - but it was so long ago I don't remember.

Edited by twobjshelbys

The lanyards in my new billet kit look the same, with the exception of rotating balls at the pin end, to keep them from getting twisted.....clever design. :thumbsup:

My experience was very similar but different. When I brought my car to Shelby American for the GT/SC upgrade. When I was picking it up I mentioned to Bud that I was getting the dreaded lanyard rust and they hadn't noticed it. [Which was odd because I was in Colorado low humidity and the car never saw rain]. Anyway, Bud made a phone call to Scott Drake and I went over to their location and asked for the right person and was handed a set for no charge. Bud installed them while I waited.

Nice to hear. It's amazing how something so small can be so irritating. This new set is holding up very well with no signs of any rust...woohoo!

Anyone replace their '07 hood pin kit with Shelby Parts kit (http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/S1MS-16892-SSK.htm)?  Does their kit incorporate the aluminum screws or are they still stainless screws?  I'm trying to avoid a repeat of the corrosion after I get the hood fixed or replaced. 

Speaking of fixed, I read here that several had their hoods fixed through the warranty.  That's no longer an option, but how were the repairs...how did they turn out?  Were you satisfied, did they last?  One Ford body shop says hey can repair the hood, the other says to replace it? 

What would you recommend after your experience ... repair or replace hood?

I would bu the AI screws if there is any doubt. You can get the right size on-line, a bunch of us did years ago, and they cost pennies.  Cheap insurance.   I would replace the hood if you are going to REALLY keep the car.  All it takes is a few left over particles to hav e it start all over again.  Remember Ford's extended warranty for hood corrosion WAS NOT due to or for the Shelby screws.  While these screws do cause corrosion the extended warranty was for factory hood contamination by airborne particles prior to prime and paint.  

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

My auto body shop repair man / owner told me that heat generated from drilling the holes causes the paint to bubble.  So he said you're basically hoping that it doesn't bubble when you drill the holes.  That means I should have had them drilled before I got the hood repainted.

33 minutes ago, Dennis Stith said:

My auto body shop repair man / owner told me that heat generated from drilling the holes causes the paint to bubble.  So he said you're basically hoping that it doesn't bubble when you drill the holes.  That means I should have had them drilled before I got the hood repainted.

Well then try asking your bodyman why hoods with NO holes drilled also have corrosion, see example below.

Although the steel screws used on the Shelby GT's  hood pins certainly sped up the corrosion situation Ford has had this corrosion problem from day one with the use of aluminum hoods. Ford has issued plenty of TSB's regarding this problem.

image.png

• Like 1

My wife’s O6 Mustang that we used to have had the same type of corrosion happen to the hood on hers and that car had no hood pins!   It got fixed in a 50/50 deal by Ford, and a few years later it started to come back right before we sold it!!   So, with that said, there definitely is a problem there!  :shrug:         Later!     “MONGOOSE”    :peelout:

19 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Well then try asking your bodyman why hoods with NO holes drilled also have corrosion, see example below.

Although the steel screws used on the Shelby GT's  hood pins certainly sped up the corrosion situation Ford has had this corrosion problem from day one with the use of aluminum hoods. Ford has issued plenty of TSB's regarding this problem.

I can ask for you next time I go there but from an educated guess, it looks like the surface wasn't properly prepped.  I had this problem on the running boards of my mid 90s cal look vw beetle because the shop didn't buy the aluminum etch chemicals (then they did an Acura NSX a few weeks later and had to buy it for that, as it is a premium car, heh), I ended up getting them powder coated but then they didn't match and it looked weird so then I had them painted on top of the powder coat but I never put them back on the car.

Sucks that the late model S197 has so much problem with that hood.  Well, underneath my factory hood there's a very small amount of peeling somewhere under there I saw but the entire top is perfect, just has some rock chips.  I own two hoods for my S197.

And going way off topic here, but this reminds me the decklid on my beetle had old primer applied so it even bubbled and I had to have it re-painted too.  But yeah it's steel.

• Like 1