Sign in to follow this  

Winner of the PAC 10 goes to the Rose Bowl, unless they go to the BCS title game. It's been a tradition for many years.

Home field advantage? If you have played the game at the college level you would understand this is not such an advantage when it comes to the bowl games. Road games are hard on the body and mind due to the travel. You are just not quite the same person flying in from 1,000's of miles away and not getting much sleep the night before. The difference with the Rose Bowl game is that the team come weeks early to the game and is well rested. Also, you just get jacked up when playing these games so the intensity is there. Home field advantage just is not a factor. I just don't agree.

The loss to Oregon State was early in the season when they were still coming together. When Carroll referred to the best team in the country, he meant as of today. USC became a better team later in the season as their receiver squad are young and gained experience toward the later half of the season; and they have very tall and athletic group of receivers. They also have a great defense and the best Strong Safety in the country by far (reminds me of Ronnie Lott). IMO, the best balanced team in the country. They just have so many great players at the key positions which no other team can say that.

The best 2 teams in the country are not playing in the BCS game. We need a playoff system for this to happen. I chuckle at MM's comment about Obama but one can hope. :)

The loss to Oregon State was early in the season when they were still coming together. When Carroll referred to the best team in the country, he meant as of today. USC became a better team later in the season as their receiver squad are young and gained experience toward the later half of the season; and they have very tall and athletic group of receivers. He says this at the end of every year. Bla Bla Bla....

The loss to Oregon State was early in the season when they were still coming together. When Carroll referred to the best team in the country, he meant as of today. USC became a better team later in the season as their receiver squad are young and gained experience toward the later half of the season; and they have very tall and athletic group of receivers. He says this at the end of every year. Bla Bla Bla....

He even said it the next day after Texas beat them in the Rose Bowl in 2004 :hysterical:

By the way I'm and LSU fan and you don't see us CRYING when stuff doesn't go our way. For the record Florida will win the NCAA Championship this year. What does that say? 4 out the last 5 have been the SEC 2 LSU, 2 FL, and 1 to Texas. That my friend speaks volume.

Hey moabman,

Remember, I'm no Sooner fan. I bleed orange...................it's just not burnt :finger:

Anyone know where a guy can find a decent defensive coordinator.............thanks a lot Beckman :doh:

Hey moabman,

Remember, I'm no Sooner fan. I bleed orange...................it's just not burnt :finger:

Anyone know where a guy can find a decent defensive coordinator.............thanks a lot Beckman :doh:

Oh, so you are a Cowboy!

Follow the UT lead; name a coach-in-waiting to keep the good ones.

By the way I'm and LSU fan and you don't see us CRYING when stuff doesn't go our way. For the record Florida will win the NCAA Championship this year. What does that say? 4 out the last 5 have been the SEC 2 LSU, 2 FL, and 1 to Texas. That my friend speaks volume.

It sure does, it means the BCS system is a farse. We need a playoff system to really put this issue to rest, but I'm not in favor of changing the bowl games because they are such a great tradition. We have heard of an 8 team playoff. This is too much in my opinion. Why can't we go back to the bowl games and then have a 2 team playoff AFTER the bowl games to determine the National Champion. As long as you can get some of the highly ranked teams playing each other in the bowl games then it may work better than what we have now. Not perfect but this will be a compromise between the people like me who like the bowl games but want a playoff as well.

By the way, I'm not crying about USC not being in the BCS title game, just having some fun. Crying is a little demeaning of a word don't you think? It's more like I'm expressing my disappointment in the BCS system which everyone knows is too flawed. I'm too old to care too much about my team not winning the title.

LSU fan in Washington? Are you from Louisiana?

Everybody knows the Gators are the best. They would manhandle USC.

:hysterical:

Good luck on Thursday??????????????? :rolleyes:

I think USC has a heck of a team, but they arent the best! I have to go with Florida and thats tough for a GA boy to say. Pac 10 gets NO respect because they play NO BODY! Yes USC beat Ohio State, but everyone knows they are OVERRATED and play in a weak conference!

USC needs to come on over and play a couple of SEC teams every year ( not TN and AK ).

USC is a great team, but I think Pete said his team was unbeatable. Cant be unbeatable when you have loss on your record!

Im still voting for a playoff system. Obama going to make that happen too!

MM

Politics and Football are 2 different subjects..........But you still cool............ :)

So from here on out we should give USC two or three warm up games so they will be ready for the season!!! :poke::hysterical::poke::hysterical::poke::poke::hysterical:

Yes but need better caliber teams than Washington State can offer............... :hysterical:

It sure does, it means the BCS system is a farse. We need a playoff system to really put this issue to rest, but I'm not in favor of changing the bowl games because they are such a great tradition. We have heard of an 8 team playoff. This is too much in my opinion. Why can't we go back to the bowl games and then have a 2 team playoff AFTER the bowl games to determine the National Champion. As long as you can get some of the highly ranked teams playing each other in the bowl games then it may work better than what we have now. Not perfect but this will be a compromise between the people like me who like the bowl games but want a playoff as well.

By the way, I'm not crying about USC not being in the BCS title game, just having some fun. Crying is a little demeaning of a word don't you think? It's more like I'm expressing my disappointment in the BCS system which everyone knows is too flawed. I'm too old to care too much about my team not winning the title.

LSU fan in Washington? Are you from Louisiana?

Yes. Stationed in the Navy here, and I can't wait to go back down south!!!!

Yes but need better caliber teams than Washington State can offer............... :hysterical:

You are SO RIGHT, but I from Louisiana, you know the National Champs 2 out of the last 4 years. In the Navy in the cold a** state.

Buy the way how is that crystal trophy doing at USC from 2003??? Ohhh my bad it is up in Baton Rouge with the LSU Tigers. Split Championship what a joke. USC woulda coulda shoulda bla bla bla, every year!!! :hysterical2::hysterical:

Florida v. Oklahoma will accurately determine the National Champion.

Ole Miss' perfomance last week should put to bed any nonsense about

Florida not belonging in the big game.

Edited by mywickedshelby

How about UTAH?? We were 12-0 this year, beat Alabama and won the Sugar Bowl. No other team is undefeated this year. :happy feet:

How about UTAH?? We were 12-0 this year, beat Alabama and won the Sugar Bowl. No other team is undefeated this year. :happy feet:

Excellant point Erik, ........instead of sitting idol for 4 to 6 weeks, there definately

needs to be a playoff system, Damn the Bowl Committees for standing in the way

of what everyone wants and what the sport desparately needs.

Being a Crimson Tide fan, I now have to wait until next year... 2 tough losses in a row, but hey they beat Auburn and that alone will almost always keep an Alabama coach employed. With only 9 graduating seniors... they will be back next year! The SEC better count on it.

Pete Carroll's "high opinion" of his team is exactly what you expect a head coach to say of a very talented team. But, in the current BCS system it's nothing but hot air anyway. Best in the country... who's he kidding?

In the old AP days, Utah would be outright National Champs. But, in the BCS system the best they can hope for is to jump up to number 2, which they deserve for sure.

A playoff system is the only way to have a TRUE national champion.

Here's my proposal ~ Use the 5 major bowls on a rotating schedule as the bracket (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta).

Need only the top 6 teams for this bracket. Rose Bowl gets the first Nat'l Championship game since they're the oldest bowl. Each Bowl would move in the bracket, getting a higher seed each year and then get the Championship game every 5th year.

Start with #6 vs #4, and #5 vs #3 the first weekend after Christmas in the Orange & Cotton.

Winners play #1 and #2 the next weekend in Sugar and Fiesta.

Final 2 teams play the next weekend in the Rose Bowl.

Bowl committees wouldn't have to worry about fans... people (from the schools, locally, and across the country) would go pay to see these games! It's spread across the major bowls and across the country (much like the Final 4 regionals) and done in just 3 weeks.

Now, getting the top 6 teams properly ranked will be the real trick. Must be an All-in ranking for all Div 1 schools, not tied to just a few big conferences. No exceptions, but for teams on NCAA sanctions.

Ranking must account for strength of the opponent, conference/non-conference, and even penalize a Div 1 team for playing a non-Div 1 school.

I have been working a method, but it's a long discussion though not complicated.

Anyway, top 6 teams/5 Bowls/3 weekends = 1 College Football National Champion. It's time!

Keith

Edited by stpracer43

Excellant point Erik, ........instead of sitting idol for 4 to 6 weeks, there definately

(As a Wyoming Cowboy fan it hurts to say this but. . .) Utah deserves more respect than they have been given. Their Sugar Bowl win looked damn impressive to me!

CC

Edited by CobraCrazy

Good point. Utah has broken in to BCS bowl games twice now and we don't get the recognition we deserve.

Obama says the BCS is broken and our Republican senator, Orrin Hatch, issued a statement after the game saying the current BCS system doesn't work either.

It will be interesting to see what happens :lurk:

Edited by ejrail

You are SO RIGHT, but I from Louisiana, you know the National Champs 2 out of the last 4 years. In the Navy in the cold a** state.

You ever wach The Adam Sadler movie about the "MUD DOGS"?????????

Good ole Louisiana.............Hows the "WATER" down there???????? :hysterical:

Being a Crimson Tide fan, I now have to wait until next year... 2 tough losses in a row, but hey they beat Auburn and that alone will almost always keep an Alabama coach employed. With only 9 graduating seniors... they will be back next year! The SEC better count on it.

Pete Carroll's "high opinion" of his team is exactly what you expect a head coach to say of a very talented team. But, in the current BCS system it's nothing but hot air anyway. Best in the country... who's he kidding?

In the old AP days, Utah would be outright National Champs. But, in the BCS system the best they can hope for is to jump up to number 2, which they deserve for sure.

A playoff system is the only way to have a TRUE national champion.

Here's my proposal ~ Use the 5 major bowls on a rotating schedule as the bracket (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta).

Need only the top 6 teams for this bracket. Rose Bowl gets the first Nat'l Championship game since they're the oldest bowl. Each Bowl would move in the bracket, getting a higher seed each year and then get the Championship game every 5th year.

Start with #6 vs #4, and #5 vs #3 the first weekend after Christmas in the Orange & Cotton.

Winners play #1 and #2 the next weekend in Sugar and Fiesta.

Final 2 teams play the next weekend in the Rose Bowl.

Bowl committees wouldn't have to worry about fans... people (from the schools, locally, and across the country) would go pay to see these games! It's spread across the major bowls and across the country (much like the Final 4 regionals) and done in just 3 weeks.

Now, getting the top 6 teams properly ranked will be the real trick. Must be an All-in ranking for all Div 1 schools, not tied to just a few big conferences. No exceptions, but for teams on NCAA sanctions.

Ranking must account for strength of the opponent, conference/non-conference, and even penalize a Div 1 team for playing a non-Div 1 school.

I have been working a method, but it's a long discussion though not complicated.

Anyway, top 6 teams/5 Bowls/3 weekends = 1 College Football National Champion. It's time!

Keith

I like your idea of using the bowls as part of the playoff system and rotating them. I would only go one step further and make it an 8 team tournament. This would only require 2 additional games and this would not add an additional weekend. The only difference would be that all teams would play in the first round. I wouldn't give a bye to #1 and #2 as these spots are determined by polls. Too much of an advantage for those two teams IMHO. Besides with only 8 teams out of a total of over 100 major college programs, making the playoffs would still be quite an accomplishment.

I like your idea of using the bowls as part of the playoff system and rotating them. I would only go one step further and make it an 8 team tournament. This would only require 2 additional games and this would not add an additional weekend. The only difference would be that all teams would play in the first round. I wouldn't give a bye to #1 and #2 as these spots are determined by polls. Too much of an advantage for those two teams IMHO. Besides with only 8 teams out of a total of over 100 major college programs, making the playoffs would still be quite an accomplishment.

8 teams would work too. But which other 2 bowls to add? Maybe the Outback Bowl and another in the Central or Western U.S.; like the Liberty Bowl or Independence Bowl. Bring back the BlueBonnett Bowl!

But, then it would take 7 years for the Championship game to rotate through... Might have more success getting the big 5 bowls to agree to every 5th year but probably not every 7th year.

Oh, after last night's game, I've reached the conclusion the BIG-10 Conference is... well, not so big.

Keith

was busy last night, never got to watch, who won?

Texas won.

OSU is no O for 3 in last three bowl games... Overall, won 18, lost 22 (to include 0 for 10 against SEC).

It was a good game (6-3 OSU at the half), but they just couldn't hold on against the Texas offense (24-21 final).

Keith

I agree with Pete Carroll that USC is the best college football team in the country. They blew out Penn State (sorry Penn State fans) and made it look like they were playing a high school football team. The PAC 10 got no respect this year which cost them them the national championship as they would have beaten any team that would have played against them (yes, that means Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Texas Tech, or name any other team in the country).

Who do you think is the best team in the country?

Dude, get over it! USC lost to an Oregon St. team who ended up with what 4 or 5 losses, c'mon now the season isn't 'no one is playing better than us now' as it counts from game 1 to the very last one! Yea, Florida lost by a missed extra point but see what Ol Miss did, they blew out Texas Tech. Tell Pete to STOP crying :baby: as the only team who has a true argument is Utah as they're dominating win over Alabama proved it.

Here is a tissue...

:hysterical:

Good luck on Thursday??????????????? :rolleyes:

we will see on thursday. ou if they play w/passion you won't catch them. and they will destroy you like they did tech.

we will see on thursday. ou if they play w/passion you won't catch them. and they will destroy you like they did tech.

Are you mistaken me for a "GATOR FAN"???????? What a "CROCK"!!!!!!!!!!!! :hysterical:

This debate can go on for some time...always has....always will....until a play off system is in place. The great thing about college football is any one team can beat any other team on any given day.

Born and raised 30 miles North of Gainesville.....take a guess as to where my vote is.