mustangcars

New Recall Notice 08C02

I received this notice from Ford recently and wondering if anyone can provide further details.

Thanks in advance to everyone who may reply to this topic.

I received this notice from Ford recently and wondering if anyone can provide further details.

Thanks in advance to everyone who may reply to this topic.

I don't think thats a new recall. IIRC its the passenger airbag recall. The dealership will upload new programming for the airbag system.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.

Just don't like going into the dealer, guess I will have to bite the bullet and hold my breath. My local dealer has two KR's on the floor so maybe they will know how to treat my car when they get it.

Wish me luck.

I have no desire to have mine done.

Well you may have to keep your car out of the dealership then. A lot of dealers perform this recall when someone brings their car into service, even for just an oil change. I guess you could tell service that you don't want it done but I wouldn't trust the dealership not to do it anyway.

Also your car may have had the recall performed before it was sold.

Steve

Just an FYI for those that have custom tunes. When taking your car into a dealer if they reflash for any reason it will basically render your handheld programmer useless. SCT/Diablo tuners suck in the stock tune and that marries it to the car. If the "stock" tune is changed in anyway, modified, updated, by the dealer you'll be pretty much holding a $400 paperweight at that point. It's also my understanding that it would take an act of God to get SCT/Diablo to re-flash your handheld. Just a heads up. If you're carrying a custom tune you should make your dealer VERY aware of it. No updates!!!

I had that recall service performed last year along w/ an oil change. No problems at all.

I had that recall service performed last year along w/ an oil change. No problems at all.

Same here and I have the K/B supercharger, no problem at all. :dog:

Just an FYI for those that have custom tunes. When taking your car into a dealer if they reflash for any reason it will basically render your handheld programmer useless. SCT/Diablo tuners suck in the stock tune and that marries it to the car. If the "stock" tune is changed in anyway, modified, updated, by the dealer you'll be pretty much holding a $400 paperweight at that point. It's also my understanding that it would take an act of God to get SCT/Diablo to re-flash your handheld. Just a heads up. If you're carrying a custom tune you should make your dealer VERY aware of it. No updates!!!

when you take your baby to the dealership if you have a tuner just return your programming to stock config first. :shift:

when you take your baby to the dealership if you have a tuner just return your programming to stock config first. :shift:

That's it.

Plug your handheld into the service port, reflash the CPU back to stock, then drop your car off.

Whenever it's done, reflash to your custom tune. It takes about 2 minutes.

Ken

Does anyone know whats actually involved? Do you have to have it done? And if you do not get it done what happens then.. would that effect warranty coverage etc..

Just had mine (GTH) done. Does not effect the tune. Non issue with the airbag recall. Just my experience.

Had mine done recently and forgot to change back to stock tune. Car seemed like nothing changed on tune. You could call dealer before taking it in to see if they fool with tune and if they do then change to stock tune first.I believe they don't fool with tune though.Good luck.

Had mine done recently and forgot to change back to stock tune. Car seemed like nothing changed on tune. You could call dealer before taking it in to see if they fool with tune and if they do then change to stock tune first.I believe they don't fool with tune though.Good luck.

You are correct they do nottouch tune. PJ

I got my notice months ago and just had it fixed last Saturday. Dealer fixed it in less than 45 minutes! :happy feet:

I was worried about having mine done after one dealer put the wrong amount of oil in the car during its first oil change...they thought my SGT was a GT500 and over filled the oil by a full quart. :censored:

I went to another dealer who has an idea what the are dealing with, and I also took a letter that someone here on the Forum posted with specific detailed instructions about not touching anything but the Restraint Module on the upgrade...remember, the SGT has a modified tune from Shelby that your typical Ford dealer does not have access to.

I took mine in and showed the letter to the service manager and he immediately comforted me about the event. I did leave the memo on the passengers seat. Everything went perfect, but I would use a copy of the letter...it should still be on this site. I think I saved a copy of the letter if you cannot find it, so let me know. I think it came from one of the folks at SAI.

"An ounce of planning is worth more than a pound of cure."

Andy.

Edited by AndyGJ

Found my copy I had saved in Word...HERE IS THE INFO......

The formatting came up different, so if you need it then PM me and I'll email you the nice formatted copy that I have saved in Word.

Andy.

===============================================================================

April 23, 2008

Attention Shelby Owners - IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Owners of Kenne Bell, Paxton, and Wipple superchargers

This information has to do with the Ford recall notice with respect to passenger side airbag. If you decide to take your car into your Ford dealership for this recall, they will need to tap into your vehicle's computer to correct the problem. They will need to re-program the RCM (Restraint Control Module). It takes them a very short period of time and you should be on your way without incident.

Here is where it gets tricky. If by accident the technician goes into the PCM (Power Control Module) instead of the RCM, they will essentially replace your existing power tune with whatever is in their programming module. If you have a Kenne Bell, Wipple, or Paxton Supercharger, then you have a vendor-unique tune. If the technician accidentally wipes out your unique tune, Ford cannot re-program it without obtaining the unique vendor program direct from the supercharger vendor.

If you encounter the worst case scenario, and your program gets wiped out, have your Ford dealer contact Shelby Automobiles Inc. directly. We in turn will work between the Ford dealership and the respective supercharger vendor to insure that they receive the tune needed to re-flash your PCM. DO NOT have the Ford dealership contact the supercharger vendor directly. The MUST contact Shelby at the following telephone number:

Shelby Automobiles Inc.

(702) 942-7325

. Doug Sinclair (ext. 105)

. Bud Mahoney (ext. 140)

. Donnie Beson (ext. 145)

Please take this communication to the Ford dealer if you are intending to act on the passenger side airbag recall notice.

Donnie Beson

Director of Sales

Shelby Automobiles Inc.

DEALER TECHNICIANS -- ATTENTION:

BEFORE plugging IDS into the DLC of this vehicle, please be sure you have your IDS software updated to version 53.12 P20 or later. This vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket PCM calibration that will identify to IDS as a stock calibration. It is CRITICAL that you DO NOT REFLASH THE PCM of this vehicle under any circumstances. Engine failure WILL result, for which the dealer will be held responsible. If IDS informs you that a later calibration is available, do NOT flash the vehicle. Any PCM calibration updates necessary will be handled by Shelby Automobiles Inc. Also, if a PCM replacement is deemed necessary for any reason, prior authorization must be obtained from Shelby Automobiles Inc.

--------------------

-Jeff

I gotta have more cowbell!!!!

Shelby GT (White) CSM: 2621, Ordered 2/15/07, Built 3/9/07, Arrived SAI 4/3/07, Completed 5/10/07, Delivered: 6/5/07 at 7:48AM.

Edited by AndyGJ