I don't like the GT350 on the hood, but I understand why its there. Its all about the sticker. You see how the stripe falls short of the leading edge of the scoop? It would be hard to get vinyl to conform to the curves there. The GT350 logo allows the hood stripes to be in four pieces, two above the scoop, and two in front of the scoop. Without the logo, it would be hard to get around the scoop in one piece. If the stripes were painted, that could be avoided, but what do you want for $33k? I understand progress, but this new car wont talk me out of my SGT. I do like the grille surround/headlights, and hood scoop, but the overall design is too much.

Actually, per someone that was their live for the event said the stripes ARE painted on.

Hey Chip,

I tried to PM you and it said something like "This member cannot receive any additional messages."

Jim

Jim,

It's fixed now and I sent you a PM.

Chip

I think Chip Beck's post should really be heard at SA. Most of us aren't in the market for a $70K car. So whether some like it or some don't, most on here aren't buyers anyway. From his original post, Chip Beck seems he was in the market and ready to buy. Now he is not. Low number production mean collectors and those with more money and/or passion then sense will be the only buyers. For me, I guess my next Shelby will be a 2008 Shelby GT or a S197 GT500. Unless I win the lottery; then it will be a Cobra.

Also, I keep seeing people mention it has a functional hood. When I look at the engine compartment, I see an air box and no ducting for a functional hood. I may be missing something.

Edited by ShelbyPilot

33k on top of a GT?

with ADM's - 70k+ car?

Wow.

ADM? You start with a 300A base Mustang with 3.73s and spoiler delete. There are 50 2010s optioned that way in dealer inventory in my area right now.

I doubt the dealers will be able to mark up base cars just because you are sending it to Shelby. There will be dealers doing their own GT350s and offering the car (with a margin) to those who happen to walk in.

I think Chip Beck's post should really be heard at SA. Most of us aren't in the market for a $70K car. So whether some like it or some don't, most on here aren't buyers anyway. From his original post, Chip Beck seems he was in the market and ready to buy. Now he is not. Low number production mean collectors and those with more money and/or passion then sense will be the only buyers. For me, I guess my next Shelby will be a 2008 Shelby GT or a S197 GT500. Unless I win the lottery; then it will be a Cobra.

Also, I keep seeing people mention it has a functional hood. When I look at the engine compartment, I see an air box and no ducting for a functional hood. I may be missing something.

That's one fine looking Shelby and i agree with you .

Just my 2 cents but,..... There are a couple of styling ques I like but as a whole,..I think they had gotten away from the essence of what made the first gt350's so special. They were minimalistic with enhanced power and handling. I think that the shelby gt's are closer to the gt350's than this version. The grille angle and headlight angle seem to clash a bit, heavy looking ground effects that leads to an added on chunky look. However ,..basing it on a gt is a good idea. I like the power plant also. If it were me,..I would have taken a BASE model gt ordered in white,...added all the important and relevant chassis hardware,...stiffen the car up and then drop in that sick power plant. I DO like the hood,its a great modern touch. Simple,nimble and powerful.......just my opinion but thats what it should be.

Guys thanks for all the comments, good and bad.

The car is s concept and there will be some changes but not many . We showed this car to many people and we took all the comments in

please look at all the photos and take your time

maybe it will grow on you, the pictures never do a car justice. And if you still don't like it, well then thank you for the comments.

Amy

Amy, this morning I took another look at the GT350 and I can honestly say I like it's looks better today then I did last night so maybe a few more nights of sleep will have me signing up. Having said that, please don't be afraid of going with "less is more".

We are all looking forward to the final product and I'm certain this will become just as popular as the original.

No matter what, thanks for helping make the GT350 happen!

Of all the posts I've read since last night, this is by far the most important one. The fact that I agree with Chip means absolutely nothing compared to the check he had in hand. My only 2 cents is that love it or like it (I'm mixed), I agree with others in that it is not the spiritual successor to the 65/66 GT350. More like the 68/69 models, except for the engine performance. Which is another point I haven't heard much about. We can form opinions about what the car looks like standing still, and have those change some once it is driven. An example was the ugly previous gen WRX that a lot of people bought after driving the thing.

As for the functional hood, the term "functional" seems to have different definitions to some. Functional as in getting cold air into the intake, or functional as in getting cold air over the supercharger? More engineering details like this would be nice to know.

-Tom

Amy,

Not to rain on the GT350 parade. I would suggest that you look around the web to sites like Autoblog and TMS to see the reaction. It hasn't been very positive. I'm worried about the Shelby name because I think a product like this devalues it in the eyes of the public. I know with all the work you all put in it's probably hard to hear. The truth is like that sometimes but with the feedback given you can fix the issues with the car and make it a better product.

-Front bumper needs to be one piece

-Too many Shelby and GT350 marking on the car, a little less is more in this department

-Reverse lights look out of place. Doing that with them was also one of the biggest complaints about the Camaro rear.

-Location of Shelby on the rear doesn't look right

-bpmurr

Yes quite right that is why it's a concept the front will be one piece this is a hand built car and production will have differences

I had my computer hooked up to my flat screen and was very happy with the presentation last night. I looked at all the photo's last night and again this morning. I love it. I think that it is a great car that I would absolutely buy, but that will not be in the cards for me this year. I would also change the lettering on the rear bumper, up to the deck lid. But I do love the car. The brushed grille is awsome with the center piece in the bottom to tie the two brushed pieces together. I love it Amy.

Amy,

Was SAI concerned at all with the reaction of the GT500 crowd when designing the GT350? It just seems that by resurrecting the 350 and boosting the power output up to a possible 565HP that you are risking backlash from the GT500 owners. The GT500 is supposed to be the cream of the crop Shelby and now that status is threatened. I feel like that is probably a big reason for a lot of the negative feedback and I was just curious as to whether or not this was even considered?

I mentioned this in a prior post but I know from first hand experience that when something similar happened a few years back with the Porsche Cayman S threatening the 911, Porsche engineers purposely lowered the performance of the Cayman S as not to threaten and anger their bread and butter 911 owners? Wouldn't this seem like a similar situation? I understand wanting to create a fabulous machine with the storied history of the GT350 but couldn't that have been done while still throwing a bone to the huge family of GT500 owners by keeping the HP and performance figures just a bit below the GT500? Anyway I was just curious and for the record I am in the minority I suppose but I have an '08 KR and still love the new GT350?

First of all I never mentioned HP last night as we are not sure what it will be. Also Shelby builds post title cars I am not sure what that has to do with a car from the factory.the gt500 is the most powerful production car.

Amy

I doubt the powertrain has been touched other than the bolt on blower kit. Same as throwing an FRPP/Whipple kit on a 2010 GT. I am sure more concrete details will be posted. It seems to be just an outline now.

Physically, yes. Beyond that, no.

The 2010 (4.6) had a lower redline, and much lower compression. Huge, when it comes to forced induction. Beyond that, the Coyote Team admits to completely removing the balance pad from the large end of the connecting rod to make it even lighter than the 4.6 rod.

So yes, anyone can throw a FRPP/Whipple kit on an engine. But not every tuner goes the distance and upgrades the internals like they should be. For ~$30,000, CS should be upgrading the internals in addition to a transmission upgrade. Hopefully, they will.

Tob

Yes quite right that is why it's a concept the front will be one piece this is a hand built car and production will have differences

Our differences aside on this car, thank you so much Carroll, Amy and everyone else on the team for this car. Being from the "younger" generation I am so proud to be a part of this history. Excellent reveal over the web. This was so great to be able to be a part of. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

P.S. I hope my DVR can hold up for a long week of Barrett Jackson!!

Great and exciting job on the reveal. Wish I could have been there. Though I think some tweaks are needed.

Initial thoughts - it all comes off a little too 'ricer' for me. The rear is much better than stock, though skips a diffuser altogether - and that could have slimmed the look a bit. It looks too fat from behind. The backup lamps look out of place as well as the SHELBY lettering (on the bumper - wtf?) I know the front 2-piece will be made 1-piece though it still looks a bit overdone. The rockers look slapped on. The 20" Cragar wheels will be 19" on delivery, but I'm not a fan. I didn't like the Cragars on the original either. And way too much 'GT350' all over. Get it off the hood - and why is GT350 needed twice within a foot on the side? Leave it on the rocker - and change the badge to '5.0' or 'Powered by Ford'.

Overall - too much effort in incorprating all years of GT350. I thought it should be more an homage to the 45th anniversary of the original.

Enjoyed the Video and overall liked the GT350...... :happy feet: except still undecided on where the Shelby lettering and the reverse lights were placed..... :headscratch: but waiting to see the car in Red before making my final decision..... :waiting:

I can see it...............the car is under a Shelby cover white with blue stripes. A representative standing in front a podium but the video is frozen and no sound at the moment.

I connected my 70" big screen up to my PS3 and used it to watch the feed.

Hit the "full screen" button on the video frame and watched it just like on regular TV.

Other than the voice sync being off a tad, it was PERFECT.

Thanks to whomever set that feed up, it worked great on my connection (Comcast Cable Internet w/PS3 wi-fi connection).

Phill Pollard

When is the GT350R version coming out? No rear seats, radio delete, roll bar, functional scoops, etc and very little badges.

I like the grill, its missing the PONY...LIKE THE ORIGINAL

When is the GT350R version coming out? No rear seats, radio delete, roll bar, functional scoops, etc and very little badges.

I like the grill, its missing the PONY...LIKE THE ORIGINAL

+1

Guys a few more items this car is about 570lbs lighter then gt500 that is what I am told and I will confirm.

This is a prototype and as such parts are not perfect, the fascias will be one piece.

The badges will also change slightly as we agree there is too many gt350's

the wheels are Protos as well and will be finalized

the stripe were painted but we offer it as a upgrade

the car will not be in the 70k range not sure where that comes from

the performance of the car is being done with ford racing and we will let you know what it is when finalized.

Carroll was a big pArt of this design as were other shelby experts.

Carroll will drive every car health permitting and will sign and number each,

On my iPhone

Amy

Guys a few more items this car is about 570lbs lighter then gt500 that is what I am told and I will confirm.

This is a prototype and as such parts are not perfect, the fascias will be one piece.

The badges will also change slightly as we agree there is too many gt350's

the wheels are Protos as well and will be finalized

the stripe were painted but we offer it as a upgrade

the car will not be in the 70k range not sure where that comes from

the performance of the car is being done with ford racing and we will let you know what it is when finalized.

Carroll was a big pArt of this design as were other shelby experts.

Carroll will drive every car health permitting and will sign and number each,

On my iPhone

Amy

thanks for the additional clarification Amy. BTW, great job last night! Craig

I think the car looks great, we will see when they start coming out to decide to purchase or not, Good Job, Rick

I'm surprised to see the blower. The photos show a FRPP emblem on the Whipple...So I'll assume they developed an upcoming kit with an EO for sale shortly as well.

The big question remains...has Shelby upgraded the rods or not? Ford engineers have already come out and said that the stock Coyote rods are not strong enough for forced induction. Will we now be told by Shelby that they are fine due to 'low boost levels' or can Shelby be praised for actually going into the engine and upgrading the stock components? Inquiring minds want to know...

Tob

It *appears* (to me) that they will be using the FRPP/Whipple 2.9L supercharger. I *know* they're using a whipple and that's all I see available in whipple, from FRP AT THIS TIME. I mean, why would you go with the 2.9L if you were only going to run 'minimal boost' numbers? You wouldn't, you would go with the 2.3L TVS or even the 1.9L OEM Eaton that already exists from FoMoCo and/or FRPP.

So my feeling is that they will go into the internals and 'pull a Roush' (ala 540RH & Stage-3).

New lower compression (~8.5:1 CR) pistons at THE VERY LEAST will be required so, hey, 'while we're in there'...why not rods too?

My $0.02 worth,

Phill Pollard

2010 Kona Blue/White GT500

No. And 570 lb lighter then a GT500 puts it in 3350 lb range. Are you talking about an R version?

I can't imagine that is correct for the regular one as a 2011 V8 GT manual is 3875 lb. + supercharger and big brakes and you are in GT500 territory.

But I still want one. :drool:

Amy,

Thanks for helping to clarify some of the details. If the weight is indeed 570# lighter than the GT500's that changes the way I look at this car completely! :superhero:

That only leaves the rod question and heat management issues in my mind. :lurk:

I'm confident that the minor tweaks to the aesthetics can be handled easily.

I missed the live reveal last night and can't seem to get enough of the GT350 and I was wondering if there is a video of the reveal somewhere?

Thank You to anyone who can help me out.

I personally would like to thank Amy for her continued attention to this forum and listening to the members. I am extremely impressed by how much she truly cares what the forum members think.

As a person who created my own GT350 from an 07 Mustang (Whipple Charged of course!), I am thrilled about the possiblity of purchasing a legit CS vehicle. I am a little concerned about the pricing that was reported on MotorTrend.com, but maybe Amy could comment?

Thanks Amy!

ApexStang

Gentlemen,

The largest single component to Shelby's present day success is the enthusiasm and purchasing power of older men who could not afford to buy the Shelby they dreamed about as a young man. The stark though unfortunate reality is that most individuals are well past their 35th birthday before they can afford to toss off 60+ thousand dollars to purchase a high-performance car. I was over 45 years old before I had enough excess discretionary income to buy one. When I was 16 years old, my father was the Pontiac Dealer in Scottsdale, Arizona. I loved driving around town in my 1973 455SD Trans Am with the huge Firebird on the hood. (Remember those?) My father never drove my Trans Am. He found the over-the-top graphics slightly embarrassing. Now that I'm in my 50s, I know exactly what he was talking about. Although I wouldn't mind having it in my garage, I would not drive to a business meeting today in that old Trans Am.

The new GT350 is clearly styled for more adolescent tastes. That's fine, but very few of those young men have the purchasing power necessary to buy it. As we get a little older, our tastes change. We don't wear our baseball caps sideways, and our pants actually fit and aren't falling off our butts. Screaming Zonker graphics no longer appeal. The stripes and subtle badging on the original GT 350, and the modern day Shelby GT and GT500 hit the sweet spot. Like the P-51 Mustang aircraft and the Ford GT40, almost any change to them makes them look less beautiful.

I know I don't speak for all men, but I am certain that my views parallel those of a huge percentage of men in my age group who have finally acquired the means to purchase these cars. We are your biggest fans. We are your target market. But clearly, the new GT 350 was not aimed at us. My 17 year old son would dig it, but he can't afford one. JMO

Chip

• Like 2