I took our Shelby GT500 for a drive today and the car went into engine fail safe mode. I was at a stoplight, took off normally in first gear, when I went to shift into second gear, there was no forward movement of the car, I could rev the engine, but there was no power being sent to the wheels. At that moment, the engine fail safe mode light came on. I coasted to a stop, turned the car off, waited 10 or 15 seconds started the car back up and drove home fine. I did notice today when I started it cold from sitting over night, that it took several seconds cranking before it started. I didn't really think anything of it and it may be unrelated, I don't know.

It's an 08 with a TVS, L&M TB, high flow cats and a FRPP tune. I have searched old threads on the fail safe mode and it looks like that any number of things can cause this light to come on. Any thoughts based upon the description of the event above?

I took our Shelby GT500 for a drive today and the car went into engine fail safe mode. I was at a stoplight, took off normally in first gear, when I went to shift into second gear, there was no forward movement of the car, I could rev the engine, but there was no power being sent to the wheels. At that moment, the engine fail safe mode light came on. I coasted to a stop, turned the car off, waited 10 or 15 seconds started the car back up and drove home fine. I did notice today when I started it cold from sitting over night, that it took several seconds cranking before it started. I didn't really think anything of it and it may be unrelated, I don't know.

It's an 08 with a TVS, L&M TB, high flow cats and a FRPP tune. I have searched old threads on the fail safe mode and it looks like that any number of things can cause this light to come on. Any thoughts based upon the description of the event above?

You will need to pull the codes from the computer using a scanner then go from there.

^ what he said. It could be quite a few different things. Your code reader should be able to pull the codes and wipe them out for you. Write down the codes, look them up and clear them. If the pop back up again, you know you are having an issue somewhere.

I took our Shelby GT500 for a drive today and the car went into engine fail safe mode. I was at a stoplight, took off normally in first gear, when I went to shift into second gear, there was no forward movement of the car, I could rev the engine, but there was no power being sent to the wheels.

It is physically impossible for your transmission to be IN GEAR (in ANY gear), with the cluch out (engaged) and your engine revving without transmitting power to the rear wheels.

It can not happen, period.

Your clutch would have to be pushed in/disengaged, slipping or your trans would have to be either out of gear or in a (possibly false) neutral gear/between gears. Like I said, this is physically IMPOSSIBLE. It's a mechanical connection, a direct mechanical connection.

This is *NOT* a symptom of "limp home" (a.k.a. "failsafe mode"). It is a symptom of a missed gear/shift.

Phill

Thanks guys, I don't have a tool to read the codes, I am assuming that the ProCal tool that came with the TVS can't be used to read the codes, that's all I have. At any rate, I can easily take the car to the dealership and let them read the codes. The dealership service manager is a friend of mine and he has done the install of all the mods, which were all FRPP mods anyway. I guess my question is should we just wait and see if it happens again or should we go ahead and take the car in now? Would the code or codes that caused it, be stored in the car's computer, becuase there was no check engine light or any other gauge indications of an issue.

2010KonaBlueGT, trust me it wasn't a missed shift, I may not have explained the circumstances of the event properly, it was a normal, run of the mill start from a stoplight when the readout on the dash read "engine fail safe mode". In reading alot of old threads on the "fail safe mode", there seems to be alot of people that have had this caused by either the throttle body or throttle position sensor. This would make sense for our car, seeing as how there was no throttle power. However, I really don't know, because in reading through the old threads the "engine fail safe mode" seems to have been caused by alot of different things, bad supercharger bypass valve, bad throttle body, bad relays, bad throttle position sensor, etc.

have your buddy get the codes first to be sure that it's not going to hurt something - overheating - fuel delivery - ect. Good Luck......

You wouldnt have happend to have gotten the tsb done recently with the new reflash done would u? Cuz i had this issue after that was done to my car and i just changed the tune and bam i was fine.

I also have had similiar issues over the past week. (3 times) Of the few times my car did go into failsafe mode, only once did it give me a dtc reading of p2104.

I took my throttle body off the car Saturday and rewound the spring in the throttle body thinking that was it, and went for another ride, and as I was turning back into my neighborhood after a 20 mile ride, it went into failsafe mode again and did not generate a code ??? Seems when I turn the car off and then crank it again, the car is no longer in the failsafe mode.

I think I am going to disconnect my battery this evening and re-flash my computer with the same tune I have been running for over a year and see if it does it again.

Has anyone else had this ??

I also have had similiar issues over the past week. (3 times) Of the few times my car did go into failsafe mode, only once did it give me a dtc reading of p2104.

I took my throttle body off the car Saturday and rewound the spring in the throttle body thinking that was it, and went for another ride, and as I was turning back into my neighborhood after a 20 mile ride, it went into failsafe mode again and did not generate a code ??? Seems when I turn the car off and then crank it again, the car is no longer in the failsafe mode.

I think I am going to disconnect my battery this evening and re-flash my computer with the same tune I have been running for over a year and see if it does it again.

yes jon lund said welcome to the world of aftermarket TB's he adjusted my tune no more failsafe 428cj

You wouldnt have happend to have gotten the tsb done recently with the new reflash done would u? Cuz i had this issue after that was done to my car and i just changed the tune and bam i was fine.

It's funny you should ask, because yes, we just had the clutch TSB done a couple of months ago. However, after a long discussion with the service manager, we decided NOT to do the computer reflash during the clutch TSB. With the TVS, etc. the car didn't have the factory tune and we didn't want to mess with the computer doing a reflash with the clutch TSB. In talking to him and several people on here, we never could get a definitive answer as to why Ford was having a reflash during the clutch TSB anyway. So...I know that the computer and the tune were NOT messed with during the clutch TSB. Literally nothing has been done, mod wise, to the car in quite some time, this "engine fail safe mode" just happened. However, I have driven it several times since and no "engine fail safe mode", so I don't know.

gtcpa and 428cj, my opinion is that it was something to do with the throttle body, throttle positions sensor, etc. I have absolutely no evidence of that, just the way the car was acting, at this point, it's just an opinion. We have an L&M TB, but in reading old threads, this seems to be a common issue even with the factory TB. There was a thread that said quite a few factory TB's have been replaced because of an engine fail safe mode. So this issue may not even be due to an aftermarket TB. The L&M TB has the Ford electronics in it, just like the factory TB. We are even running the FRPP tune that came with the TVS, the tune is NOT an outside vendor tune.

yes jon lund said welcome to the world of aftermarket TB's he adjusted my tune no more failsafe 428cj

428cj, you may be right on this one, I don't know the answer. I bought the throttle body and installed it last December, and dyno'd my car in January and driven it plenty since. It is just now at the end of July when I got the failsafe mode. I sent an email to evolution yesterday to ask them for advice on this issue.

If the car goes into failsafe mode, will there always be a code to read?

If there is a code to read, will it be cleared when the car is restarted?

For my car that has gone into failsafe mode a few times in the past week, only once did it trip a code to read with my tuner (code P2104). The other times it went into failsafe mode and you turned the key off - when you started the engine again, the car was no longer in a failsafe mode and you could not pull a code. I guess it depends on the type of issue your car is having.

If a code does pull up, the only way I have cleared it was to use my handheld tuner.

A P2104 code simply means that the engine was put into forced idle. It does not tell you why this happened . It could be any number of things ranging from exceeding torque limits set in the tune , a bad TPS sensor or any number of things related to tuning parameters being exceeded or out of range.

Edited by svtbird91

A P2104 code simply means that the engine was put into forced idle. It does not tell you why this happened . It could be any number of things ranging from exceeding torque limits set in the tune , a bad TPS sensor or any number of things related to tuning parameters being exceeded or out of range.

Thanks for the reply svtbird91,

I agree with you, but did not know what else to look for. I emailed evolution and am awaiting a reply.

When it went into the mode, for the most part traveling at normal speeds, would not have exceeded torque limits, so I assumed that it may be the throttle spring or something else (sensor) in throttle body.

On 8/7/2010 at 4:45 PM, Dennis70Mach said:

Well, it did it again today, so we will be taking it to the dealership on Monday. I will let everyone know what the issue turned out to be.

What did they tell your ?

Edited by saul sanchez