Sign in to follow this  
richard m.switzer

New Shelby Fuel Rails " leak "

my new Shelby fuel rails leak around the threads where the spring lock screws into the fuel rail 180 turn around please see picture,S5ME-9593-B-2.jpg,thanks for any help,maybe some Shelby Auto Tech support can post in,

S5ME-9593-B-2.jpg

Are you using any kind of Teflon tape of the threads? not using Teflon tape,

NOT using Teflon tape,I did not think you can us Teflon tape on a gas line,,,,CAN YOU ?,,,,,will Teflon tape work ?,,,,,,,,,,thanks for the reply, Edited by richard m.switzer

What do the installation instructions say? Or does it come with any.

are you kidding," installation instructions " from Shelby Parts ,no it did not come with any,and the only thing I found close was from Scott drake,seeIS1.7R3Z-9F792 05-10 Fuel Rail Installation Online.pdf, thanks for your reply

are you kidding," installation instructions " from Shelby Parts ,no it did not come with any,and the only thing I found close was from Scott drake,seeIS1.7R3Z-9F792 05-10 Fuel Rail Installation Online.pdf, thanks for your reply

I found this ,41R0AZKJ20L__SS400_.jpg does anyone think it will work ? it says it works on fuel fittings,

Actually I was... :hysterical:

I know the KR reservoir I just received didn't come with any, but I know that there's plenty of postings how to do it.

I guess you get to be the lucky person to inform all of us on what is needed for a proper install... I wish you good luck and hope you find something that works well.

Dan

They are simply METCO fuel rails. Call METCO. You don't want to guess or get internet forum advice when it comes to fuel lines, IMHO.

NOT using Teflon tape,I did not think you can us Teflon tape on a gas line,,,,CAN YOU ?,,,,,will Teflon tape work ?,,,,,,,,,,thanks for the reply,

Yes, there is teflon tape made specific for gasoline applications. It is yellow instead of white. It will say on the packaging that it is for gasoline, oil, etc. Cost a bit more than the regular white stuff but it works. I found it in Ace Hardware.

Yup! you can use teflon tape on fuel lines.

Just be careful to not apply the tape too close the beginning of the threads. You do not what any of the tape ending up in the fuel rails or injectors. I would stay away from the paste for this very reason.

Richard,

Do not use teflon tape. It might split and get into the fuel line. Please send me an email at jonathane@shelbyamerican.com because I have some questions for you to clarify the exact issue.

The reason instructions are not included with this kit is because there are some plumbing issues that are left up to the installer to do themselves due to different supercharger applications. It is best to have the fuel rails installed by a professional tech.

Richard,

Do not use teflon tape. It might split and get into the fuel line.

Yeah, a metor might break apart and hit the earth too. :redcard: You have to be careful, if you have a leak the teflon tape made for gasoline applications works.

Edited by Snake Handler

Please send me an email at jonathane@shelbyamerican.com because I have some questions for you to clarify the exact issue.

The reason instructions are not included with this kit is because there are some plumbing issues that are left up to the installer to do themselves due to different supercharger applications. It is best to have the fuel rails installed by a professional tech.

I"m about to place a order for these TODAY and there is still a unanswered question someone else asked on the original thread announcing these when they were new.

I have a Whipple 2.9. Do these work with the Whipple 2.9????

I need a answer quick.

TIA,

Phill Pollard

cc: jonathane@shelbyamerican.com

Here's an idea. Stick some teflon tape in a cup of fuel and see how long it lasts. Call Metco.

Here you go Stig. Read this. The yellow stuff works with gasoline. No need for apology. :salute:

ResTape Yellow Gas Thread-Seal Teflon Tape.pdf

ResTape Yellow Gas Thread-Seal Teflon Tape.pdf

I have been using "Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealent" since 1996 for all our threaded items for gas, alcohol, and Nitro engines. Comes in a small tube or larger quantity at most auto parts stores. Permatex part numbers are 59214 for the small .20 FL OZ tube and 80632 for the 4 OZ container. It works very well but you have to be carefull not to start at the begining of the threads or some could come off and clog an injector. We start about 1/4 inch up on the male connector end with the sealent. Hope this helps.

Edited by Nitro

Here's an idea. Stick some teflon tape in a cup of fuel and see how long it lasts. Call Metco.

I can see where you would think this, I thought the same about 15 years ago, we used the yellow teflon tape on all our fuel lines in our race cars for years, like they said here what you don't want to do is have the tape overhang the opening, you'll clog your fuel filter with fragments that break off over time. Make sure you wrap the tape on the threads only.

Edited by stormeaston

Here you go Stig. Read this. The yellow stuff works with gasoline. No need for apology. :salute:

I'd still be calling Metco and getting a replacement. No reason for that thing to be leaking fuel and have to use some tape that can break off if you use too much, etc. None of my fuel fittings for my nitrous needed any tape.

Thanks for all the replies ,I am trying some LocTiTe ,letting it all dry for this coming weekend ( re-install ) I will post some pictures this weekend of new the install and some pre-fitting I did before ,I am not running a SC, so I ran the fuel pressure vacuum hose that comes off the fuel rail pressure / tempeature senior that runs along the stock fuel rail ,inside under the stock intake then back out,you will see I took some pictures of that ,again thanks to all ,great Team work. :salute:

I"m about to place a order for these TODAY and there is still a unanswered question someone else asked on the original thread announcing these when they were new.

I have a Whipple 2.9. Do these work with the Whipple 2.9????

I need a answer quick.

TIA,

Phill Pollard

cc: jonathane@shelbyamerican.com

Get the Fore fuel rails, much better looking imo and will fit with the 2.9

Thanks for all the replies ,I am trying some LocTiTe ,letting it all dry for this coming weekend ( re-install ) I will post some pictures this weekend of new the install and some pre-fitting I did before ,I am not running a SC, so I ran the fuel pressure vacuum hose that comes off the fuel rail pressure / tempeature senior that runs along the stock fuel rail ,inside under the stock intake then back out,you will see I took some pictures of that ,again thanks to all ,great Team work. :salute:

here are a few pictures765452-R1-21-4A.jpg

765452-R1-21-4A.jpg