Dubbs

TB/plenum/intake tube/filter install

I got around to installing my stuff yesterday...here are the install pics

Here is the stock motor

shelbypics076.jpg

Here's whats inside the stock intake tube

shelbypics096.jpg

I didn't snap removal pics of the filter/intaketube and throttle body because it's extremely straight forward...but to remove the plenum, you need the ford style fuel fitting connector tool

shelbypics078.jpg

Plenum is off...some pics to show the differences between the stock and big plenum

shelbypics079.jpg

shelbypics081.jpg

This is how much material need to be ported off the blower opening

shelbypics083.jpg

I layed blankets down to catch the chips..i also had my shop vac running while i was porting. I used a rotory file in my die grinder.

shelbypics085.jpg

ported

shelbypics087.jpg

Difference between the stock 2x60mm TB and the L&M 2x72

shelbypics088.jpg

shelbypics089.jpg

TB on

shelbypics090.jpg

JLT installed...It took me about 10 minutes to wrestle the couplers on...tight fit! The marks on the intake tube are from a sticker that is extremely hard to get off

shelbypics092.jpg

shelbypics093.jpg

Filter in....looks way better

shelbypics094.jpg

shelbypics095.jpg

Driving impressions

when I first fired it up, it reved to 2000rpm for about 3 seconds, then bounced between 1500 and 2000 for 3 seconds, then dropped to 800 and stayed there. I let the car idle while I cleaned up and it stayed at 800 the whole time.

I noticed a difference as soon as i left the driveway, as soon as you touch the gas, the car wants to go. I took it slow and easy for the first few kilometers to make sure everything was ok, then I hit the gas. The car felt stronger and the blower whine was alot louder. The only problem is the idle hangs for s couple seconds around 1200-1500 when you come to a stop, then it returns to 800. Some people have said it will go away after a few days of driving. if not...i guess i'll need a tune, but my next mod will need a tune anyways

Nice work, especially on the porting. The hanging idle is normal. Does it with the stock TB as well, just not as noticeable. I had the same after installing my 66, then reverted back to stock for some dealer work. It was there as well, just never really noticed it cause it's not as pronounced. Talk to L&M before tuning, it's not needed..did you happen to check voltage before and after?

Driving impressions

when I first fired it up, it reved to 2000rpm for about 3 seconds, then bounced between 1500 and 2000 for 3 seconds, then dropped to 800 and stayed there. I let the car idle while I cleaned up and it stayed at 800 the whole time.

I noticed a difference as soon as i left the driveway, as soon as you touch the gas, the car wants to go. I took it slow and easy for the first few kilometers to make sure everything was ok, then I hit the gas. The car felt stronger and the blower whine was alot louder. The only problem is the idle hangs for s couple seconds around 1200-1500 when you come to a stop, then it returns to 800. Some people have said it will go away after a few days of driving. if not...i guess i'll need a tune, but my next mod will need a tune anyways

Mine hangs a bit when the AC is on but it did that stock too. Fantastic TB, love mine. If you get a tune make sure they don't mess with the OEM TB settings. All the problems with the L&M have been when they mess with those settings.

Edited by mullens

a 72 mm on a stock blower? why?

The 72MM TB will work just fine on a stock blower with the same driveability as the 66MM TB as many have experienced .If any thought of upgrading for more HP it will be "The only Throttlebody you will ever need". No matter what size Supercharger you intend to use it will not outflow the capability/capacity of the 72.hydro

Edited by hydro

a 72 mm on a stock blower? why?

this is pretty much why

The 72MM TB will work just fine on a stock blower with the same driveability as the 66MM TB as many have experienced .If any thought of upgrading for more HP it will be "The only Throttlebody you will ever need". No matter what size Supercharger you intend to use it will not outflow the capability/capacity of the 72.hydro

I don't intend on keeping the stock eaton forever

Hydro...any comments on the hanging idle

this is pretty much why

I don't intend on keeping the stock eaton forever

Hydro...any comments on the hanging idle

I have seen the hanging idle resolve itself after driving in stop and go traffic for a while.hydro

I guess my butt-dyno was correct...i gained some good power

I didn't get a tune...the issue is getting better on its own

shelbypics099.jpg

Baseline: 512 rwhp/ 493 rwtq

Tb/plenum/intake/filter: 538 rwhp/ 505 rwtq

Difference: +26 rwhp/ +12 rwtq

Update

After driving a few months and the hanging idle issue not going away. i got a tune from TORQ and it fixed it right up. I guess the " No tune" throttle bodies do need a tune. While i was getting one anyways, I decided to get a performance tune mixed in as well. I can't believe how much difference just a programming change can wake these cars up.

Edited by Dubbs

I am going down this path, L&M 66, L&M elbow, 56lbs ford '13 injectors, 127MM cai, last piece bigger S/C.....And who to tune it. I alreday asked Larocca but he is not tuning now. any suggestions would be appreciated. I understand this is an old thread.

Thanks,

Kevin

klcmcse at yahoo dot com

• Like 1

I am going down this path, L&M 66, L&M elbow, 56lbs ford '13 injectors, 127MM cai, last piece bigger S/C.....And who to tune it. I alreday asked Larocca but he is not tuning now. any suggestions would be appreciated. I understand this is an old thread.

Thanks,

Kevin

klcmcse at yahoo dot com

That sucks larocca isn't running anymore.

Justin at VMP tuning can take care of that, fire him an email on it.

I have dealt with them repeatedly, and they do know their stuff.