• Announcements

• Staff

ABOUT TEAM SHELBY   01/01/2007

Member Benefits:   First, there's the Team Shelby swag. No other club packs your membership kit with more than Team Shelby! Whether you are a renewing member or new to the “family” of Shelby enthusiast worldwide, our goal is to help you enjoy a high-octane lifestyle!   From a Unique Membership Card, Shelby Annual Magazine, Team Shelby Hat, Collector Coin, Team Shelby T-Shirt, Windshield Cling, Team Shelby License Plate Frame, Lapel Pin and Magnet, the contents of your Team Shelby Membership Kit more than pay for your membership alone!   In addition, your membership includes:   Exclusive Access to Team Shelby Member Forums.   10% discounts at Carroll Shelby's Stores in Las Vegas and Los Angeles.   Driving Experiences.   Invitations to Exclusive Team Shelby Member Events.   Insider information from Shelby American.   Affiliate Partner Discounts.   Updated February 16, 2017. Team Shelby Club 2018 Team Shelby Membership Kit Please note that membership contents are subject to change.   Team Shelby was designed and engineered by real enthusiasts inside and out of Shelby.   Team Shelby was originally formed in 2008 by Carroll Shelby. He wanted to create a club for people to truly enjoy their cars. He knew the world had changed, and he wanted his companies to meet the needs of the new generation of Shelby owners. His vision was to knit together those people with the owners of early Shelby's and give everyone fun new ways to experience their high performance vehicles.   Mr. Shelby imagined a place where owners could talk about their latest conquests at the track, swap stories, share photos and learn new ways to hot rod their cars! He wanted to link all of the enthusiasts into one "dream garage"... thus, Team Shelby was born!   Team Shelby has many free, open access forums, news sections and member only areas dedicated to the community.   In addition, Team Shelby has a full series of events for 2018, which include VIP Experiences, track days, National & Regional gatherings, cruises, car shows and more! Ownership of a Shelby is not required to be a member. The club is dedicated to serving all Shelby enthusiasts past and present including those that own cars built in the 1960's and Shelby Dodges too! Carroll Shelby (Team Shelby Member #001) said: "We built Team Shelby for anyone who is passionate about Shelby cars! We’ll have a blast and we'll do it the Shelby way!   Yearly Membership Rates   U.S. $49.99 | Canada & Mexico $59.99 | E.U., others $65.99   Join the Team Shelby Club   click here to choose a Team Shelby Club subscription package.   Membership Kit Arrival   Your Team Shelby Club membership kit and I.D.card will generally arrive within 6-8 weeks.   Need Help?   Email Brianna:  e-mail her here.
    • ForumAdmin

Having Problems Logging In To Team Shelby ?   02/12/2018

If you are having a problem logging in to Team Shelby since the software change made last December/January please send an email to bfawn@shelby.com  Please include your real name and Team Shelby user id in this email so that we may look into what the problem might be. Thank you.
SGT/SC#0471

Hood Scoop, removing rivets...

Looking forward to the final result with the mat black strips :camera:

My 07 is naked except for the side stripes, with my black painted scoop.

Edited by BlackSGT

I'm pretty satisfied with my work so far but the vinyl trim around the brake light just isn't crisp and it really bothers me.  The good news is that I've got very thin margins so if I can still hopefully clean it up.  Apparently the xacto knife is not the way to go for this, dang it, but too late now.  Pretty much impossible to cut curves in thick vinyl and expect not to damage the paint. I bought some "knifeless tape" which I'll use for the rear license plate area and will try to use for the brake light also, but it is designed to be laid down before the vinyl, not after it's already on.  Just wish I would have learned of the knifeless tape stuff first... if I have enough material when I finish I'll probably just re-do the top half of the trunk.

Another option would be to remove the 3rd brake light and “tuck in” the stripe.  It may take a bit of heat to get it smooth around the edges, but it should work no problem. 

9 hours ago, mfield2a said:

Another option would be to remove the 3rd brake light and “tuck in” the stripe.  It may take a bit of heat to get it smooth around the edges, but it should work no problem. 

That's a damn good idea that I hadn't thought of... and would probably be my best option.  

Well crap... it gives me a chance to upgrade something else... already have LED tails and all other lights are smoked... maybe I'll buy this since my original stocker has some glazing discoloration that I haven't been able to completely rectify anyhow.  https://www.americanmuscle.com/3rd-brakelight-2005-smoked.html

Okay mfield2a, you sent me down this path... I will re-do the top of the trunk lid for a very nice tucked in perfect fit.  I'll be able to apply a little heat and wrap that snugly around the brake light hole edges.  I wish I would have done that from the start.  That is by far the best solution.  I just ordered a smoked LED 3rd brakelight from Amazon, $27.99, and hope this will look nice.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JPOSEQ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey, Anything I can do to help you spend more time and money.  :lol:

In all seriousness I’m replacing the graphics on my MX bikes once a year or more and found out long ago that for me tucking is better than cutting.

I think we are all excited to see the progress!  :camera:

More progress.  I re-did the trunk area around the brake light using the wrap method.  Much better results.  I also installed the matte black billet trunk piece... wow it's really sharp and built fantastically well... it's fun to move up and down, feels so solid.  Next up I'll be putting the S-H-E-L-B-Y on and then to put in the new LED 3rd brake light when it arrives in the mail and then the rear bumper.  I think once I finish the rear, the rest will go a bit quicker... I've honed my skills on the back with the various changing angles of the trunk, spoiler, etc that I should do even better as I finally move towards the front of the car in the coming week.

First, here's the trunk, re-done with the brake light wrap and the billet piece installed.  Buh bye plastic-chrome trunk medallion.

RlblkFQ.jpg

Here's a different angle showing the fold-down key access of the new piece..

4esgQup.jpg

This blue vinyl piece will be temporary and aid in the perfect placement of the SHELBY letters.  I"ll attach that temporarily, then affix the letters, then peel it away...

bOjAuXw.jpg

A little more progress... got the letters on.. yes all I've done so far is the trunk and spoiler, but feels good to have part of it finished and looking professional.

763lBZm.jpg

v2mzjXq.jpg

I like how the SHELBY emblems fit right within the stripes.  That’s a really clean look.

Suggestion for around the liscense plate you might want to make a template first. I have done this with wax paper. Tracing out the cut out area, then taking it back to the drawing board with a straight edge and what ever I can find to get the curve corners right. Then I fold it in half, cut along the side I like better and unfold (that way both sides are cemetrical. From there lay it back over the cut out to see if it looks good. Once I get it to where I want it, I mark up the vinyl (with the stripes you cold fold) and carefully cut with scissors.

Edited by mfield2a
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, 07SGT3249 said:

I also installed the matte black billet trunk piece... wow it's really sharp and built fantastically well

Where did you purchase this item? I'm interested.

I also like the narrowed width of the Shelby letters.

4 hours ago, BlackSGT said:

I purchased that deck lid medallion from American Muscle (https://www.americanmuscle.com/shr-black-medallion-0509-plain.html)

I thought it was pretty damn pricey for what it is, but once you have it in your hands, feel the weight and craftsmanship ship of it, and see how much better it looks that the chromed plastic disc, it's worth it.  

Not to “butt in”... the emblem is an SHR and it indeed looks nice!  American Muscle carries a few versions. 

Click the link below, about 2/3 down the page if using your phone:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/search?keywords=Mustang+deck+emblem&generation=2005-2009&vehicleType=Mustang

Edited by mfield2a

The width of the Shelby letters is exactly the same actually.  The new stripes are about 1&1/4" wider than the old ones and just by luck it works out that the letters in the same old place now fit within the stripe.  Here is a picture of the rear of my car a few years ago (before the silver stripes really started getting faded and spotty), but I think the rear end enhancements and matte black stripes look a lot better than before.  Next post I'll explain how I got the rear bumper finished up so nicely.

O9mIpyx.jpg

I decided to go nuts and just free hand the license cut out.. .and I hit a home run.  I spent an hour or so cutting the 2 pieces that make up the rear bumper and mocking them into precise placement.  With the lower piece taped all over the place, I took a crayon and rubbed the back of the stripe contact paper around the contour edge of the license cut out.  From there, I took my pieces off and cut with scissors the cut out.  I made several slight trimming adjustments and it just came out damn near perfect.  I couldn't be more happy with it.  I spent 3.5 hours just on the rear bumper alone though... time consuming stuff but I wanted to get it right the first time.

tJXqZFq.jpg

Here you can see that I've got the pieces perfectly trimmed and ready to put on.  Note that I use the tape method to ensure that I'm putting the vinyl exactly where I had it placed during the mock, measure, and cut phase.  

ym7JF06.jpg

Here is a close-up on the hand-trimmed area around the license plate that I was so worried about...

QNFJslr.jpg

And here is the whole rear end finally finished... except the smoked lens LED 3rd brake light which is coming in the mail...

LlbteHU.jpg

More progress... got the roof done and LED 3rd brakelight installed...  All that's left on the stripe project is the hood and front bumper... getting there slowly but surely.  I feel like these pics don't do it justice.. it looks really good. 

o8USqpi.jpg

Looks great! 3rd brake light looks really good from the angle of this picture. It really blends in.

I noticed we have the same billet gas cover, one of my paint projects a couple winters ago. Would fit the theme of your car with the quarter panels and rear faux cap.

IMG_2465.JPG

Looks terrific. You have given me the confidence to to tackle my own stripes, or at least the confidence to remove them. 

Painted my gas door as well. Along with the rear quarter block-offs.

147DEC93-37A1-47FD-83B0-3D69BC63D8A3.jpeg

Edited by EL SHELBY

Thanks for lightening up my picture, @BlackSGT.  I'll make a little more effort to get better pictures.

I never thought about painting the billet gas cover, but with the matte black theme going I think mine fits more now than it did in the past.

@EL SHELBY, the job is pretty tough, but it's do-able for sure and it's actually a bit hard to make mistakes on the removal.  I definitely had some areas (not a lot) where I scratched the clear coat.  For those areas my guess is those surface scratches could be buffed out, but I actually wasn't very concerned about them since they were getting covered by stripes... and it works really well the new stripes are 1" wider than the old ones so where I had minor scuffs on the stripe margin, it's covered completely.  Putting the new stripes on is a much tougher job and I've learned as I've gone along and I'm aware of some little mistakes I've made that are there but they don't jump out at me.  There are tons of opportunities for mistakes and I've re-done one little area and if I had infinite material there is a second area I'd re-do. When you put straight parallel stripes on curved areas of the body suddenly things aren't going straight any more, so you need to take a lot of care into pre-planning an area and have a good idea where it is appropriate to section things out.  The factory stripes are sectioned in a couple areas too... but with pretty seams and crisp cuts the seams are not very noticeable.  I've tackled with this job with the notion that if I get in over my head, I'll just take it to a shop, but it's working out well and is kinda fun.  I think I heard a quote (on this forum?) that to remove old stripes and put new ones on a shop was asking $1300 labor.  If I were spending that money I'd probably just want to go with painted stripes, but the vinyl actually adds a cool textural look than I'm not sure painted stripes would.

20 hours ago, EL SHELBY said:

Looks terrific. You have given me the confidence to to tackle my own stripes, or at least the confidence to remove them. 

Painted my gas door as well. Along with the rear quarter block-offs.

147DEC93-37A1-47FD-83B0-3D69BC63D8A3.jpeg

Nice...where did you get the paint?  I have seen on eBay, but have been wary of the match. Did you take it to someone or do yourself?

I noticed on the rear bumper section that you did that the license plate area was one piece, and I'll assume another piece was added above connecting to the trunk opening? I'd be interested to know where you made the other slices or seams, and how you did it?

If anyone wants to paint anodized parts like the billet fuel cover; there is a caustic removal process to strip the anodizing or paint won't stick. I think I did a post somewhere here on the door. Not to high-jack your thread 07SGT3249 ;)

1 hour ago, mfield2a said:

Nice...where did you get the paint?  I have seen on eBay, but have been wary of the match. Did you take it to someone or do yourself?

I had the rear quarter block offs done by a semi-professional. They look good, but I can tell the guy had water in his airlines. 

The gas cap cover I did myself using a 2K Spaymax Aerosal. Several places offer it. Can not recall exactly where I got. I started with a bare aluminum cover, scuffed, primed, paint, and clear. Finished with a wet sand and hand buff. Again, Not perfect but looks good.

https://www.66autocolor.com/Auto-Spray-Paint-Spray-Max-2K-Aerosol-p/spm2k-custompaint.htm

I haven't had much time to work on this lately, but spent about 90 minutes striping the hood this morning.  It turned out fantastically, with the exception of being able to see a line where I have a thicker clear coat on the driver's 1/3 of the hood (the extra clear coat abutted the old stock silver stripes).  At most angles it isn't obvious but when the light is right it's pretty easy to see.  

LWT6f7q.jpg

8NYmQ76.jpg

c83EzY6.jpg

yYFZRFF.jpg

No hood scoop or washer nozzles yet...

5g2s5f1.jpg

bNU4GS8.jpg