Sign in to follow this  
2010KonaBlueGT

Shelby (Metco) 5.4L Fuel Rails

Okay, I'm having one hell of a time trying to find the associated AN fittings for the Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails that I recently bought from SPP.

I went directly to the source, drove out to Las Vegas and spoke personally to Gil N. at the Las Vegas Shelby American Mod/Speed shop. He told me what I needed but didn't have them in stock or couldn't help me get them. I told him that Shelby better get a list together because *I* wasn't the only one that bought a pair not knowing they need more fittings than just what the item description says you need. He agreed and said he was putting a list together but not a "kit", per se.

Here's what I need:

I need one -8 AN end plug (o-ring style).

I need two -8 AN end fittings (o-ring to flare style) for the cross-over line to connect to.

I need a length of -8 hose and the end fittings to connect them to the two end fittings. They don't necessarily have to be flare fittings, they just have to connect to the two end fittings I use on the ends of the fuel rails.

Oh, and as per Gil, DO NOT use anything smaller than a -8 hose or fittings.

I have the Shelby/Metco fuel line adaptor that Shelby said I need to get and if I have to use it, I need a -8 (o-ring) to -6 (flare) fitting/adaptor. Gil recommended I send it back and use the full length braided fuel line that runs from the firewall to the fuel rail, such as someone posted a photo and part number for in another thread on the fuel rails.

Here's where my frustration came to a head:

When I lived in California I always dealt with a local Speed Shop in Salinas CA called Dotseth Automotive. I went to see Don Dotseth and his shop was closed up tight as a drum, has been for nearly 2 years. I live in Co. Springs (population ~400,000) and there are NO speed shops there that I can walk into and order AN fittings from. It looks like the Internet has put the local speed shop out of business.

So my question is: Where the heck does a guy go to get the RIGHT AN fittings, AND....where can I get a crimped -8 AN hose (braided or otherwise) made up? I checked with Summit and Jegs but I can only find the -8 end plugs, not the other fittings I need.

At this point money isn't a BIG factor as I already have over $350 into the rails and adaptor alone. Someone mentioned Fore fuel rails but they are pretty much the same exact item (as far as fittings) as the Shelby/Metco units other than they are anodized and appear to be cast rather than machined from a billet blank (which I prefer).

Gil told me that "Blue Collar Performance" built him a 28" Kevlar double ended hose to use as the cross-over and run it straight out the front, along side of the small coolant overflow hoses and back to the front of the other rail. Then mount the fuel feed hose into the left rear port, plugging the right rear port (this is on a 5.4L w/Whipple 2.9L SC). He said he did one like that and it kept the cross-over line away from the belt and off of the SC body.

I found *a* "Blue Collar Performance" shop on the Internet and they do sell the Metco fuel rails for the 5.4L GT500 but NO associated fittings or hoses are listed. But at least they have a big disclaimer on their fuel rail description telling the buyer that they will need a bunch of dash-eight fittings and hose (Shelby Perf. Prod. failed to mention that in their item description).

I'm almost to the point where I want to just return the rails and the adaptor and use my OEM/Stock fuel rails but I'd really *really* like to have the upgraded (hi-cap) Shelby fuel rails for any possible future increase in HP (be proactive rather than reactive). If I can find the fittings and someone to make up a crimped hose, I'd rather go that route.

So........HELP!

Can anyone point me to a bussiness (on-line or otherwise) that I can call/write/contact and just tell 'em what I need, have them make it up and send it to me? I know how to cut braided line and make the ends up so if I have to make my own, fine. But I'd rather have a professionally CRIMPED line (such as what COMES with the Shelby/Metco 4.6L fuel rails!) than screw/tight fittings.

I'd also like to get the Kevlar line like Gil spoke about instead of the braided line, which acts like a hacksaw if it contacts ANYTHING (supercharger housing, water lines, fuel lines, etc. etc. etc.).

Anyone? What about this guy "Alex" that often posts on TS? Is he just a header guy or does he own a perf. shop?

Thanks to ANYONE that can help me out,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

Okay, I'm having one hell of a time trying to find the associated AN fittings for the Shelby/Metco Fuel Rails that I recently bought from SPP.

I went directly to the source, drove out to Las Vegas and spoke personally to Gil N. at the Las Vegas Shelby American Mod/Speed shop. He told me what I needed but didn't have them in stock or couldn't help me get them. I told him that Shelby better get a list together because *I* wasn't the only one that bought a pair not knowing they need more fittings than just what the item description says you need. He agreed and said he was putting a list together but not a "kit", per se.

Here's what I need:

I need one -8 AN end plug (o-ring style).

I need two -8 AN end fittings (o-ring to flare style) for the cross-over line to connect to.

I need a length of -8 hose and the end fittings to connect them to the two end fittings. They don't necessarily have to be flare fittings, they just have to connect to the two end fittings I use on the ends of the fuel rails.

Oh, and as per Gil, DO NOT use anything smaller than a -8 hose or fittings.

I have the Shelby/Metco fuel line adaptor that Shelby said I need to get and if I have to use it, I need a -8 (o-ring) to -6 (flare) fitting/adaptor. Gil recommended I send it back and use the full length braided fuel line that runs from the firewall to the fuel rail, such as someone posted a photo and part number for in another thread on the fuel rails.

Here's where my frustration came to a head:

When I lived in California I always dealt with a local Speed Shop in Salinas CA called Dotseth Automotive. I went to see Don Dotseth and his shop was closed up tight as a drum, has been for nearly 2 years. I live in Co. Springs (population ~400,000) and there are NO speed shops there that I can walk into and order AN fittings from. It looks like the Internet has put the local speed shop out of business.

So my question is: Where the heck does a guy go to get the RIGHT AN fittings, AND....where can I get a crimped -8 AN hose (braided or otherwise) made up? I checked with Summit and Jegs but I can only find the -8 end plugs, not the other fittings I need.

At this point money isn't a BIG factor as I already have over $350 into the rails and adaptor alone. Someone mentioned Fore fuel rails but they are pretty much the same exact item (as far as fittings) as the Shelby/Metco units other than they are anodized and appear to be cast rather than machined from a billet blank (which I prefer).

Gil told me that "Blue Collar Performance" built him a 28" Kevlar double ended hose to use as the cross-over and run it straight out the front, along side of the small coolant overflow hoses and back to the front of the other rail. Then mount the fuel feed hose into the left rear port, plugging the right rear port (this is on a 5.4L w/Whipple 2.9L SC). He said he did one like that and it kept the cross-over line away from the belt and off of the SC body.

I found *a* "Blue Collar Performance" shop on the Internet and they do sell the Metco fuel rails for the 5.4L GT500 but NO associated fittings or hoses are listed. But at least they have a big disclaimer on their fuel rail description telling the buyer that they will need a bunch of dash-eight fittings and hose (Shelby Perf. Prod. failed to mention that in their item description).

I'm almost to the point where I want to just return the rails and the adaptor and use my OEM/Stock fuel rails but I'd really *really* like to have the upgraded (hi-cap) Shelby fuel rails for any possible future increase in HP (be proactive rather than reactive). If I can find the fittings and someone to make up a crimped hose, I'd rather go that route.

So........HELP!

Can anyone point me to a bussiness (on-line or otherwise) that I can call/write/contact and just tell 'em what I need, have them make it up and send it to me? I know how to cut braided line and make the ends up so if I have to make my own, fine. But I'd rather have a professionally CRIMPED line (such as what COMES with the Shelby/Metco 4.6L fuel rails!) than screw/tight fittings.

I'd also like to get the Kevlar line like Gil spoke about instead of the braided line, which acts like a hacksaw if it contacts ANYTHING (supercharger housing, water lines, fuel lines, etc. etc. etc.).

Anyone? What about this guy "Alex" that often posts on TS? Is he just a header guy or does he own a perf. shop?

Thanks to ANYONE that can help me out,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

I would try Jegs or Summit racing parts catalogue online. I hope this helps you out.

Scotty

id suggest your local aircraft parts supply shop. they usually carry this kinda stuff.

Hmm. Hadn't ever thought of that. I live right next to the CoS airport and it has a LARGE municipal airport along wih the commercial airport. There's all kinds of AP associated airplane shops along the frontage road there.

In the meantime, I found "Blue Collar Performance", the shop that Gil N. recommended and they said they could make me the kevlar or braided SS line I need. Haven't heard back about the AN fittings but I think they'll be able to furnish them as well.

Once I get a source and list of parts needed I'll post it here and send the information to Shelby so they can add it to their item description and save the next PB all the trouble I'm running into.

Thanks to all,

Phill

I mentioned in the other forum Lundstedt Automotive in Ft. Collins. I also (independently) suggested that Summit or Jegs might be faster and less headache.

AAI Speed in Arvada carries some fittings but not in black. They can also make up hoses and brake lines. I would also check with Lethal Performance or Fore Precision about a kit if the rails have the same threads.

I would try Jegs or Summit racing parts catalogue online. I hope this helps you out.

Scotty

I've looked through both Jeg's and Summit Racing and the only thing I can find that I need with both of them is the -8 end plug.

I was just told about a new nylon wrapped hose so I may rethink my hose routing and go over the SC rather than around the front of it. It's the Pro-Lite 350 hose from Earl's.

http://www.holley.com/EarlsCatalog/Catalog.asp?pageNumber=2

A little pricey but it looks like it'll do the job. Blue Collar said they'd make me a 28" hose for $149.00 shipped but asked if I was interested in their silicone hoses. He said he needs to move some and if I bought some, he'd throw the fuel line in for free.

Has anyone dealt wth Blue Collar Performance before?

http://www.bluecollarperformance.com/

Thanks again,

Phill

AAI Speed in Arvada carries some fittings but not in black. They can also make up hoses and brake lines. I would also check with Lethal Performance or Fore Precision about a kit if the rails have the same threads.

Arvada isn't too far for me.

I don't necessarily need black right now although that would be nice. Right now all I need is the hose and fittings! If AAI can make up the hoses, that's what I'm looking for. I don't want a hack job and prefer CRIMPED hoses.

And as far as I know the threads on the Fore's and the Metco's (i.e. Shelby's) are the same. They're all -8 AN type. I haven't checked with Lethal but that's a good idea.

When I get back to CO I'll revisit you on this and get more info on AAI.

Thanks,

Phill

I mentioned in the other forum Lundstedt Automotive in Ft. Collins. I also (independently) suggested that Summit or Jegs might be faster and less headache.

I haven't checked the other forum yet so I don't think I saw your comment.

Like I said in my other post, Jeg's and Summit only have the end plugs (that I can see). They don't make it easy to navigate their site either!

I'll hit ya up on the CSBC forum when I get back to CO from CA.

Thanks again,

Phill

• Like 1

you might try C&R racing, I went to pick up my HE and radiator instead of shipping and they had some hoses that looked like SS but were black instead. Good quality looking stuff too. They manufacture all kinds of stuff for nascar and indy car racing as well as our radiators, heat exchangers, and coolant cans.