spacecoastshelby

What is it about our cars?

I have had a few mustangs before that were tastefuly modded, but NEVER have I had as many thumbs-ups, compliments and complete head turnings as in this Shelby. :shades:

I know we have some subtle bodystyle changes that set our cars apart, but what is it that draws so much attention...is it simply the Shelby name being on the car or something else?

Thoughts...

Yes, the name SHELBY draws praise and admiration from age groups. These cars are truly attention getting machines, and if you sell it you'll most likely never recieve the same attention again from anything you'll own, most likely. Just ask the ones who have sold theirs.

Love these cars.

EDITED:

Edited by SWEDEMAN

I think that the cars are simply spot on styling, not overboard, but just right. They are lowered which always helps and the body style and the word SHELBY on the decklid harken back to the first GT350....

Thats why I bought one anyway...it is an attention getting car thats for sure...

Cheers!

The other day, my 9 year old daughter looks over at me from the passenger seat and says, "Daddy, people look at your car"

I said,"Oh yeah?"

She said, " No, I mean, people look at your car ........A LOT!!!"

:hysterical:

it's because of the racing stripes.

Most people who look at these cars have no idea what it is. Most squares think it's a GT500, a Cobra or who knows what!

I think that the cars are simply spot on styling, not overboard, but just right. They are lowered which always helps and the body style and the word SHELBY on the decklid harken back to the first GT350....

Thats why I bought one anyway...it is an attention getting car thats for sure...

Cheers!

This answer is right on. There's a delicate balance between not enough and too much. The Shelby GT look is just right.

What he said... :yup:

Cheers!

+100

That's what is special about the SGT and why it kills me to see people add this and that creating just another JC Whitney looking Frankincar. But what ever makes you happy. Me...I'm happy with the clean lines and elegant simplicity.

This answer is right on. There's a delicate balance between not enough and too much. The Shelby GT look is just right.

Bingo, Ilmor.

I am a very quiet, reserved guy; I hate attention. In fact, when I was in the market for a new Mustang in 2007, the Bullit had the upper hand - it was the deliberate, studied "plainess" (with the performance, of course) that most appealed to me.

But once I started to see the 2007 SGTs, against all odds.....it was no longer even a contest. An attention-getter, yes, but with that beautiful balance of bad and elegant.

I had a couple weeks ago, this couple were behind me and the guy was pointing. Next thing I know his wife is hanging out the window shooting pictures!

Most people who look at these cars have no idea what it is. Most squares think it's a GT500, a Cobra or who knows what!

And, like someone said before, everyone thinks they're supercharged - like the GT 500. Well, some of them are now! :happy feet:

Edited by springer

I saw a middle aged couple in an SUV behind me one night...with the sequential turn signal on (I was turning at the next street when the light changed) the wife pointed at my turn signal and I could see she said something to the husband. I watched him say to her...."It's a Shelby, honey." I laughed all the way home...I couldn't believe I caught that and was able to atleast understand what he was trying to say!

Andy.

It would be interesting to know if the Bow Tie crew get as many "Thumbs Up" as us Shelby GT owners?

Bet we would beat them by a mile - at least!

I can't count how many times my Shebly has been captured on a cell phone from a vehicle on the side, in front or behind me.

It is just a cool car!

I have had a few mustangs before that were tastefuly modded, but NEVER have I had as many thumbs-ups, compliments and complete head turnings as in this Shelby. :shades:

I know we have some subtle bodystyle changes that set our cars apart, but what is it that draws so much attention...is it simply the Shelby name being on the car or something else?

Thoughts...

You've discovered the joy of driving these cars. I bought mine new and it now has over 30,000 miles. When traveling I always get people wanting a closer look, especially at gas stations, McDonalds etc. Even fellow Mustangers look closely, they particularly like the CS- GT-H hood I've got on the car. The hood, along with the GT-500 spoiler changes the look of the car front to rear. Most know the difference between the SGT, GT-H, and the GT-500. Enjoy and drive it !!

Has anyone noticed that the SGT crowd seems to be the most fiercely loyal customers of all ?

I mean we all bought the SGT and it had just a little more HP than the regular GT. It handled very well and the looks were and still are I believe among the sharpest looking Shelby's ever.

It also seems the SGT owners are more knowledgeable about our cars than other owners of say GT500's. Is that because more of us were directly involved with Shelby rather than Ford?

It seems as well that we get shorted on many things such as clothing and collectibles related to our cars.

Does anyone else have an opinion on us SGT fans?

I just love the response I get in my Shelby. I also have a 2006 mustang GT and it is sweet but I get much more looks and remarks from my 2007 Shelby, they just look so good . Even when standing still they look like their going fast, all crouched down and ready to ponce.

A few years back when my SGT was in it's first year with me (08 Conv). My wife myself and our youngest son went for a ride up Rte 91 North from Mass. to Vermont.

I'm not a passing lane hog and usually will drop back into the travel lane when not actually passing anyone. Well on this ride I set the cruise at 80mph and headed north.

Everycar I came upon who was already in the passing lane (and shouldn't have been) must have noticed this beast coming up in thier rearview mirror because everyone

slid back into the travel lane as I closed in . My son in the back seat noticed this and said " Dad look at them all move out of your way". Can you picture the smile on my face at

that moment. It's an SGT, please move aside !

Don

spacecoast:

Read through the entire thread just now, and I thought I would add my .02 worth. As a GT500 owner, I truly believe the SGT garners more attention due to it's quietness. I have said before on this forum, that the SGT screams quietly!

The lowered stance and the rear spoiler delete, along with 18" Bullitts are the three tickets, IMHO. Oh sure, I get tons of stares, comments and cell phone pics. alongside me as I'm driving too...but let's be honest here, the SGT's were 'touched' by SAI and had a hands on, if you will, build approach that the 500's didn't get. Time will tell, but I believe that the SGT's will always garner more stares at show's for instance, than my GT500. It was mentioned on the thread here, that the stripe is a draw as well. In that case, I feel quite honestly, that the GT500 with the over the top stripes garner THAT attention, just given the wide open mouth grille. My white car with Vista stripes is very menacing coming at you!!

As for the mention of SGT owners being more in tune to the SHELBY genre...I think that's totally true. It was much easier, and continues to be, for a customer to stroll onto a car lot and buy 'a SHELBY' in a GT500 than a couple year small production SGT model car. I would wager that the average GT500 owner doesn't even know that an SGT exists. He probably thinks he has the only model SHELBY built today! Case in point: look how many cars that are on AutoTrader and EBay that don't have the readily available autographed dash plaque!? Are you kidding me?

You bring up a very thought provoking thread though! I have NEVER driven my car anywhere, without getting at least a few stares...generally speaking, I get comments and thumbs up. That is part of the fun of driving the car! :)

I have had many people walk around my car in the parking lot. One time an 80 year old couple walked around and heard them saying - What is it?

The oddest thing I had happen was sitting in traffic in my GTH. (First I must say that my license plate says "A HERTZ"). A guy pulls beside me and asks me roll my window down. He tells me how great my Shelby looks and is even knowledgable about the Hertz version.

Then he asks me if I am "a hertz". I said "what"? And he asks again, this time adding "Are you a member of the Hertz family". Of course I never thought anyone would ever come up with that one - I just said "no - I wouldnt be here in this traffic if I were a Hertz". He smiled, got it, and then told me it is an awesome car.

Casey

spacecoast:

I would wager that the average GT500 owner doesn't even know that an SGT exists. He probably thinks he has the only model SHELBY built today!

Interesting you mention that. I dont think I would say they dont know they exist, but we recently did a multi Mustang photoshoot and there were several GT500s and the comment was made that my SGT was the first one they had seen in person...and several people may have not known exactly what it was like you say, but I just have to believe that anyone with Mustang enthusiasm knows about these cars. They definately seem to be more of a rarity than the GT500s in my un scientific observation!

Shelby GT :salute:

They a'int your father's Oldsmobile!

It's safe to say you can drive most anywhere, and not see another SHELBY goin' down the road....That's pretty special in itself! :salute: