COBRA32

CTS-V will not be the problem for us the ZL1 Camaro will

Hey, hypothetical question, if an IRS is sooooo great then why aren't they use on full sized pickups? The added benifit of the pumpkin ground clearance would be awesome.

Personally, I don't think they will hold up to the continous work load. So the repeated stresses from a high torque motor mated to high perf diff would do what...

Do you know how that statement makes you look to rest of us who are not redneck, pickup drivers? Anyway pickups are not considered state of the art to most people..

not gonna make any Hillbilly jokes..

Do you know how that statement makes you look to rest of us who are not redneck, pickup drivers? Anyway pickups are not considered state of the art to most people..

I guess you missed the word "HYPOTHETICAL". And I take offense to your referece of "REDNECK". I have yet to do any kind of name calling and would like the same in return. You have no idea who or what kind of person I am...

You obviously don't know about the SVT Raptor...

REVENGE,

The SVT Raptor is NOT your father's Chebby pickup...

2010_ford_f150_svt_raptor5.jpg

BDrool,

Clearly, REVENGE doesn't know what an SVT Raptor is... enjoy:

and
Edited by SVT NAJA

You obviously haven't ridden in many pickups in a few years now... My F150 is FAAAARRRRR more state of the art than my Shelby, hands down. As a matter of fact, even the base F150 Lariets are almost as technologically endowed as my Platnium. And, driving a pickup doesn't make you a redneck, that's a State of Mind....

SVT NAJA and TN Red Snake, Thanks for the back-up.

All others, I didn't mean for this topic to go off on a tangent. To me it seem there is a lot of emphasis on the IRS and there are ALOT if pros and Cons associated with it. I was only trying to stimulate dialogue so those with massive amounts of driving experience can input their opinions and state facts and expect some badgering associated with it.

As for the CTS-V and the Camaro, as a whole, the IRS seems to be the number one topic about them that makes these vehicle excell. Personnaly, I feel the SRA is a part of the Muscle car stigma and welcome the technology that has improved it's capability and still keeping the overall vehicle cost down and not adding the extra weight the IRS would bring.

Again, I apologize if some feel that I may led this topic onto a tangent.

SVT NAJA and TN Red Snake, Thanks for the back-up.

All others, I didn't mean for this topic to go off on a tangent. To me it seem there is a lot of emphasis on the IRS and there are ALOT if pros and Cons associated with it. I was only trying to stimulate dialogue so those with massive amounts of driving experience can input their opinions and state facts and expect some badgering associated with it.

As for the CTS-V and the Camaro, as a whole, the IRS seems to be the number one topic about them that makes these vehicle excell. Personnaly, I feel the SRA is a part of the Muscle car stigma and welcome the technology that has improved it's capability and still keeping the overall vehicle cost down and not adding the extra weight the IRS would bring.

Again, I apologize if some feel that I may led this topic onto a tangent.

You said some key words there. "Muscle Car Stigma".

Keep the SRA on a muscle car and I think it's great.

Trying to pretend that a muscle car is a sports car and that the SRA isn't a bum leg in that application is just ignorant.

As to the added weight, the GT500 outweighs the Terminator. Even if weight was added, it would be added in a place the mustang could use it--out back. Drop a little weight off the snout to counter it, and you have a much better balanced car.

You said some key words there. "Muscle Car Stigma".

Keep the SRA on a muscle car and I think it's great.

Trying to pretend that a muscle car is a sports car and that the SRA isn't a bum leg in that application is just ignorant.

As to the added weight, the GT500 outweighs the Terminator. Even if weight was added, it would be added in a place the mustang could use it--out back. Drop a little weight off the snout to counter it, and you have a much better balanced car.

None of todays cars seem to be getting lighter. My '90 Muctang GT tipped the scales at 3200, which is lighter than the Terminator, infact that's what todays Vette comes in at. As the power increases, other factors have to compensate so the cars don't turn themselves into pretzels, beefing up the chassis, drive line, tranny, etc adds more and more weight. The only way round it is to put the powerplant right over the drive axle, oh wait, that would be approaching supercar class...

None of todays cars seem to be getting lighter. My '90 Muctang GT tipped the scales at 3200, which is lighter than the Terminator, infact that's what todays Vette comes in at. As the power increases, other factors have to compensate so the cars don't turn themselves into pretzels, beefing up the chassis, drive line, tranny, etc adds more and more weight. The only way round it is to put the powerplant right over the drive axle, oh wait, that would be approaching supercar class...

Over the last 25 years, the base model Corvette has not changed weight by more than 10#. Yet it has gotten roughly 200% more powerful and sports a nearly 500% stiffer chassis. Other manufactureres just need to step up their game is all. It can and has been done without going mid/rear engine. In fact, it did it without much of a price-hike, either. The base corvette cost $21,800 in 1984, and if you adjust for inflation, that is $44,434.62 in 2009 dollars. The 2009 base corvette MSRP'ed at $48,565.

So no, it doesn't take a "supercar", or a lot of money, or anything of the sort. If GM can do it, Ford can do it. They are on the right track and I have a feeling the 2014 platform is going to be killer! Ford is shedding weight and adding power.

Edited by JWG223

It's a truck.

It has a solid rear-axle and a cast iron block 6.2L engine.

Composite hood, a 2" lift, a few skid-plates and an electronic diff. don't make it "high tech" or somehow allow it to transcend that it is...a pickup. A 3r'd rate pickup, as it finished 3rd in its class when it was ran in the 2008 Baja 1000.

Edited by JWG223

It's a truck.

It has a solid rear-axle and a cast iron block 6.2L engine.

Composite hood, a 2" lift, a few skid-plates and an electronic diff. don't make it "high tech" or somehow allow it to transcend that it is...a pickup. A 3r'd rate pickup, as it finished 3rd in its class when it was ran in the 2008 Baja 1000.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I have to step in with this comment. The hood is good ol' metal. There is not a traditional "lift," as the triple internal bypass Fox shocks (that were designed by both Ford and Fox) increase ride height while adding a foot of travel in both the front and back. The rear electronic differential will lock at ANY speed, and the skid plates have absorbed landings that betray impressively poor judgment by some owners. Regarding the Baja, save for suspension and safety upgrades, the truck was essentially stock (read: engine, drivetrain, brakes, frame, etc.). So yea, the Ridgeline that beat it that year may have won the class, but it was about as far from stock as possible.

So bring whatever truck you own out to Colorado, if you do own a truck, and I will leave you in my dust, or asphalt, or whatever we happen to be racing on.

:club:

Aaaaaaaaaaand I have to step in with this comment. The hood is good ol' metal. There is not a traditional "lift," as the triple internal bypass Fox shocks (that were designed by both Ford and Fox) increase ride height while adding a foot of travel in both the front and back. The rear electronic differential will lock at ANY speed, and the skid plates have absorbed landings that betray impressively poor judgment by some owners. Regarding the Baja, save for suspension and safety upgrades, the truck was essentially stock (read: engine, drivetrain, brakes, frame, etc.). So yea, the Ridgeline that beat it that year may have won the class, but it was about as far from stock as possible.

So bring whatever truck you own out to Colorado, if you do own a truck, and I will leave you in my dust, or asphalt, or whatever we happen to be racing on.

:club:

No arguments that it's a damn good truck, but it's not what I would call "cutting edge" or anything of the sort. THere is some good innovation in it, but it's not an item I would point to if I owned a car and say "See, my car has truck-like features and trucks are cutting edge" or any variation thereof.

The shocks are cool, but they are not what you would want or find in a sports car. The mag shocks that GM, Ferrari, (Jaguar?) and others are using are.

I sold F150's for a living. They are good trucks. They are not, however, the optimal platform for technology sharing with a sports car in reference to their suspension.

As to a truck. I don't own, want, or need one. Nothing against them, just don't own a boat, horse, or race-car and so I feel no need. If I did though, I would put it up against your Raptor just for the sheer joy of getting out of the South and seeing the beautiful and comparatively smart and fit state that is Colorado!

*Passed a GT500 just like yours on the way home from work this morning. Looked great!

Edited by JWG223

One thing we can all agree on- the GT500 needs a brake upgrade to what this new ZL1 has. Painted Mustang GT rear calipers doesn't cut it on a $55k car.

I'll take the painted rear calipers and hand built 5.4 with forged pistons in the GT500 over the slick rear calipers and the assembly line made in Mexico with non-forged pistons LSA in the ZL1.

There is always going to be trade-offs at that price point.

Edited by Cdvision

I'll take the painted rear calipers and hand built 5.4 with forged pistons in the GT500 over the slick rear calipers and the assembly line made in Mexico with non-forged pistons LSA in the ZL1.

Our local "PRO GM" with IRS will be more than likely pipe in on this... :poke::lurk:

If the ZL1 comes out and it is in fact a lot better than the GT500 will Ford actually spend the time to upgrade the GT500 in its FINAL model year? People seem to think the GT500 is done after this current generation. If that is true will Ford spend time developing a car that at the time of the ZL1 launch will only have one more year to go. Might they not decide to focus onthe return of the Cobra or whatever the next super Mustang will be called? This is if the ZL1 is a lot better than the GT500. If its only slightly better then sure Ford will make the minor adjustments needed.

I personally would like the ZL1 to be a lot better and Ford replys with an out of this world GT500 that is light years ahead of all previous GT500 and ZL1s.

Of course I will play :)

How many LSA's have had a piston failure that you are aware of? I have not heard of any (although I am sure maybe a couple have?). Plenty of people boosting the hell out of the CTS-V.

Your transmission was made in Mexico. The LSA is made in Mexico (according to you. I have not verified but won't deny). I guess it's a cripple-race in your book, lol.

Of course I will play :)

How many LSA's have had a piston failure that you are aware of? I have not heard of any (although I am sure maybe a couple have?). Plenty of people boosting the hell out of the CTS-V.

Your transmission was made in Mexico. The LSA is made in Mexico (according to you. I have not verified but won't deny). I guess it's a cripple-race in your book, lol.

The guys that are "boosting hell out of the CTS-V" as you put it are replacing pistons and cams in them. The LSA cam is not as hot as the LS9 cam.

Once the ZL1 comes out we'll start seeing way more modded LSA's and get a better idea of its true potential. Most CTS-V guys do not mod them but the Camaro crowd will be all over modding the LSA's in ZL1's.

I'm pretty sure the 5.4 has more power potential without having to tear into it. TB, TVS, and longtubes will get you 650+ rwhp without even pulling a valve cover.

Here's the list from Lingenfelter for a CTS-V Caddy, any more power than that and you're swapping out pistons.

Cadillac CTS-V LSA 2009-2011 > 378 CID LSA Supercharger System Upgrade - 700+ HP

The 700+ Horsepower package includes the addition of our GT9 ZR1 supercharger camshaft and Lingenfelter CNC ported LSA cylinder heads. This package gives you additional power over our other supercharger upgrade packages while maintaining a safe level of boost & supercharger RPM. The GT9 camshaft has an excellent sound quality and will not degrade the vehicles drivability or reliability.

700+ Horsepower

See MT chassis dyno sheet

623 rear wheel horsepower 617 rear wheel lbs ft of torque

Package Includes:

- Engine removal & removal of supercharger assembly, cylinder heads, camshaft

- Lingenfelter CNC porting & polishing of LSA cylinder heads for optimal flow

- 2.165” diameter hollow stem intake valves

- 1.59” diameter high temperature inconnel exhaust valves

- Lingenfelter multi-angle valve job, cc chambers, surfacing & spring height adjustment

- Competition Cams valve springs, titanium retainers, 10 degree locks

- Lingenfelter GT9 camshaft by Competition Cams 215/247 .629/.656 121 CL

- GM Head gaskets & head bolts

- 2.55 inch diameter steel supercharger drive pulley - powder coated black - 8 rib

- 8 rib serpentine belt

- Lingenfelter LS9 solid supercharger isolator coupling

- Port and polish supercharger snout

- Lingenfelter air intake duct

- K & N Air Filter

- Lingenfelter 10% overdrive harmonic balancer

- 63 lbs/hour fuel injectors

- Fuel injector connector change

- 160 degree thermostat

- Professional installation, camshaft degreeing & testing

- Engine testing & expert ECM tuning

- Chassis dyno testing before & after installation

- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected

- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

- Lingenfelter 2 year/ 24,000 mile warranty

Package price – $11,245.00

You need to stop trying to put your own words in what other people say. You miss the mark by a long shot on most occasions. :slapfight:

Edited by Cdvision

Yeah and look how you feel about that. Lol

LSA and tranny for the ZL1 made in Mexico. But I'm sure it'll be awesome. :headscratch:

The factories in Mexico where the engines and trannys are being made are state of the art. But I'd still rather have a hand assembled (by a 2 person team) built in the USA engine in my muscle car. Even though it's a now a global manufacturing community, it just seems wrong to have an American muscle car with a Mexican engine. :unsure:

Don't worry...at least your Z06 will have a hand assembled, made in the USA engine.

Here's some Ford info regarding the different engine assembly lines.

Workers on Romeo's main production line have about 14 seconds to complete an assembly task and they repeat those tasks over and over as engines snake through the assembly line.

On the Niche line (where the GT500 engines are built), workers have nearly six minutes to complete a task and they move along with the engine to the next station. Working in pairs, they're responsible for building the entire engine.

Quality control remains a constant priority. To motivate the small crew of assemblers, Ford decided workers would sign each engine the way an artist finishes a masterpiece. But only if quality was up to par.

Edited by Cdvision

My tour guide told me that the Tremec factory in Mexico uses the equipment sold to them by Munci*sp. FWIW.

I spent all day today at the BG factory. Awesome people and attention to detail. Proud to have bought from them. Everyone I spoke to thanked me and the plant manager even took the time to do so twice during the day. Does Ford give buyers tours? Has anyone been and what was it like?

My tour guide told me that the Tremec factory in Mexico uses the equipment sold to them by Munci*sp. FWIW.

I spent all day today at the BG factory. Awesome people and attention to detail. Proud to have bought from them. Everyone I spoke to thanked me and the plant manager even took the time to do so twice during the day. Does Ford give buyers tours? Has anyone been and what was it like?

The BG Corvette factory is very cool. I had a buddy that did the factory pick-up on his Z06 and he was pretty impressed. I don't know if Ford has any tours available for it's customers other than this.Tour info. But I saw this article of a GT500 build.

I wouldn't want guys walking around distracting the techs while they were building my car. Lol

GT500 build

Edited by Cdvision

20" rims are not going to hook, doesn't matter how wide the tires are. 19's and 20's on standard C6's and Z06's don't hook "I've owned them both" so some ugly calm-maro isn't going to be any better. You can blame the "dub's" generation for bringing us tires with no side wall.

1.8 short times are doable in c6 cars on own rubber. Thing is sidewalks hook, but then they wallow in corners. I would have preferred 18s all around though.

1.8 short times are doable in c6 cars on own rubber. Thing is sidewalks hook, but then they wallow in corners. I would have preferred 18s all around though.

1.8 short times doable in C6 cars with 550hp on stock rubber? Hard to believe this one

1.8 short times doable in C6 cars with 550hp on stock rubber? Hard to believe this one

Not 550, more like 440 to the ground. Skilled drivers get 1.7-8's out of the stock C6's on a regular/consistent basis.

Don't know what CTS V's 60, but it must be pretty decent to hit the 0-60 times they manage.

Edited by JWG223

OMG are we seriously still talking about Chevy in here.

Apparently people here were interested enough to create the largest thread on the first page of this forum sub-section, about 2 Chevy vehicles, so yes, apparently we are.

Apparently people here were interested enough to create the largest thread on the first page of this forum sub-section, about 2 Chevy vehicles, so yes, apparently we are.

Go to a Chevy Forum and talk and lets get some valued info in this Forum

Edited by Radical08

OMG are we seriously still talking about Chevy in here.

No... we're not!

But unfortunately, we can't call in an air strike to remove it, because it wouldn't be PC. :hysterical: