sgt1020

Best Wheels for Open Track Racing

Looking to get some nice 18" or 19" wheels for some open track driving. Was thinking about GT500 take off wheels but want something more unique. Any suggestions? If you have a set of wheels and tires for the track, post up a pic!

I like the 2010 SVT wheels. 9.5 X 18 all around

Everytime I see that Blue Terlinqua it gets better looking

I like the 2010 SVT wheels. 9.5 X 18 all around

I do like the look of those wheels when I see them at shows. How

heavy are they?

-Tom

I would suggest starting with Tire Rack . You can sort wheels by weight and size.

I don't think you want anything larger than 19", my understanding is the handling will begin to suffer with "rubber band" tires on anything larger! I run staggered (18 x 9 front, 18 x 10 rear) Nittos but everyone has their favorite!

Sam

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=AR18R62SML&wheelMake=ASA&wheelModel=AR1&wheelFinish=Silver+w%2FMachined+Lip&showRear=yes&selectedRear=AR18R22SML&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Shelby+GT&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=ASA&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

What do you guys think about these? They look sweet when you view them on the Shelby GT. And going by the specs on the bottom, will these wheels clear the GT500 Brembo calipers?

Here are some Specs on the wheel:

Size: 18x9

Offset: 45mm

Backspacing: 6.81"

Bolt Pattern: 5-114

Rec. Tire Size: 285/40-18

Weight: 23.8lbs.

Finish: Silver w/Machined Lip

Construction: 1pc. Low Pressure Cast/Shot Peened

Finish Warranty: 1 Year

Manufactured in China

Features

•One-piece, motorsport-styled mesh spoke

•Durability and strength optimized

•Rivets and a machined lip add a modular look

•Center cap shown included at no charge.

Edited by sgt1020

THOSE LOOK VERY NICE !!! AND THEY ARE 10LBS. LIGHTER THAN SVT THE GT50O WHEELS.

SCOTTY

Edited by COBRA SCOTTY

THOSE LOOK VERY NICE !!! AND THEY ARE 1O LBS. LIGHTER THAN SVT THE GT50O WHEELS.

SCOTTY

OOPS DOUBLE POST. :doh:

Edited by COBRA SCOTTY

I don't like anything with fake "look" rivets, especially for on-track use. That also adds a cleaning problem with just a little appearance payoff (if you like it), my view.

Price is right and they look good IMO. I don't know about the brakes fitting, however. 18" is the way to go.

I was just about to start the exact same post. I do like those ASA's as well, but I'd like to get down to around 19-20 lbs. Hard to find something in that range that fits big brakes and it's $250-350 per wheel though! Might have to check out those ASA's myself. Looking forward to if you find anything else in that price range but a little lighter! I want to have a track set of wheels/tires by 8/10.

Price is right and they look good IMO. I don't know about the brakes fitting, however. 18" is the way to go.

I too after posting the question about the SVT wheels went to the Tire Rack site, and I see a lot of other

folks had the same idea. I like the Enkei Lusso wheels as they are similar to those ASA wheels by design,

but better suited for my black (faster) SGT. Plus no fake rivets to have to clean around (I know that

experience). Both will not clear the big brakes. If you do a search on wheels for the GT-500, you'll see

a much more limited selection, and they are all heavy unless you pay.

You are very correct about 18" is the way to go from a road racing performance, as you can check all

the pros. They will pay for wheels that weigh less to help them perform better.

Now that I know my stock black bullitt wheels are the lightest of the SVT bunch (and smallest), whatever I

choose will not weigh more, even if it means saving up longer.

-Tom

I use the svt wheels for regular track days. When racing in AI or ST-2, I go with a lighter wheel (read,more money) How serious are you?

How much are these Jongbloed wheels each?

Enquiring minds want to know :)

Yeah, those are the same wheels Griggs uses on their race cars. Serious racing wheels. NOT for street use!!!

:ohsnap: :eek5:

My God. That better be for the set btw... but still $4500?! That is just ridiculous!... and that's the "SPECIAL" price!

The three piece wheels are around $900. each.

Edited by Torch40

Grassroots Motorsports had an article a few months back comparing the track times on a Miata using a 'heavy' wheel vs. a 'light' wheel & 'heavy' tires vs. 'light' tires as well as combinations of each. They found difference in lap times was negligible and didn’t warrant the additional cost of the lighter wheels/tires for enthusiast driving. I say find a cheap (not cheaply made) wheel that you like and not worry much about the weight. It looks like the wheel you found covers both cost and weight, as long as they can take the abuse of the track.

Something to keep in mind is that the track can be harsh on wheels. I would find a set that you dont mind beating up.

Grassroots Motorsports had an article a few months back comparing the track times on a Miata using a 'heavy' wheel vs. a 'light' wheel & 'heavy' tires vs. 'light' tires as well as combinations of each. They found difference in lap times was negligible and didn’t warrant the additional cost of the lighter wheels/tires for enthusiast driving. I say find a cheap (not cheaply made) wheel that you like and not worry much about the weight. It looks like the wheel you found covers both cost and weight, as long as they can take the abuse of the track.

Something to keep in mind is that the track can be harsh on wheels. I would find a set that you dont mind beating up.

Ummm... yes and no. The GM issue was June 2011, and I at first was shocked about the neglible difference in autocross

times, since my personal experience racing my old Miata felt much more nimble with the lighter wheels/tires. But after

digging into the article more (and avoiding the trap of being led by the writer to his conclusion), there is more data to consider.

The wheels they used were both light by most standards, and the difference between the two was a scant 3.7 pounds.

In the same article they have a sidebar about a test in 2003 in which the difference was 8.5 pounds and recorded .2 seconds

advantage to the lighter wheels. Their 2003 test was on a short course, which translates to a very significant .4 seconds on a longer

(championship level) course. That would be more in line to what I experienced since my heavier set was about 8 pounds

more than the lighter set I replaced it with. If I were swapping a 28+ lbs SVT wheel with an aftermarket 20+ lbs one, which

is what I would be considering once I move to a different class. But I wouldn't kill my wallet for something less than 20 lbs.

Your point about tracks being harsh on wheels is probably more significant (especially going off-course in autox). Whatever the

choice, don't get one you'll worry about damaging or replacing.

-Tom