robertlane

New from SPP: GT500 Gen II Shifter

We also left them out , they were in the box with the shift lever so we thought they went on the lever, after I put them on it was much better but not good enough. I went to the hardware store and found some water faucet washers,

I put those in, and I think they work better.

just rubber.?? or the metal ones with rubber inserts ??

just rubber.?? or the metal ones with rubber inserts ??

yes the washers are all rubber but they are tough they have all different sizes, the ones i used are about the size of a nickel . The washers I;m talking about go inside the faucet

they might have another name

Just ordered one today before reading this thread and wondering if I should cancel the order tomorrow? The stock shifter works fine and don't want to spend the time and money to actually make things worse. If you had to do it again would you? Thanks for posting

Just ordered one today before reading this thread and wondering if I should cancel the order tomorrow? The stock shifter works fine and don't want to spend the time and money to actually make things worse. If you had to do it again would you? Thanks for posting

Sorry for the late reply as I haven't been back here for a while..

If I had my time back, I personally wouldn't have spent the money on this item and I may just take the loss and swap it out for a factory KR shifter.

I am really not happy at all with anything this shifter brings to the table.

The installation is brutal, the throw doesn't seem shorter, it's noisy, it still sticks going into gear, it tries to kick back out of 5th and there is a tremendous amount

of lateral movement of the shifter when in gear.

The only saving grace is I bought it from Champion for roughly $75.00 less than SAI but what burns me is the $300.00 installation charge I'll never get back and I was right in the shop when they installed it so I know how difficult it was.

This doesn't seem like an isolated incident either as others are posting similar issues with this shifter.

This certainally falls into the "pay your dime and take your chance" scenario.

Sorry for your problems with the Gen II shifter. Makes me glad I went with the MGW Shifter.

Mike

I also have the Gen 1 shifter with no problems and a night and day difference over the oem stock one.

That's exactly what my friend Peter told me and as I mentioned, he loves his Gen I as well.

He couldn't believe the noise and the play in this shifter as his is apparently perfect in comparison.

S7M-7210-C-2.jpg

S7M-7210-C-4.jpg

Click here to learn more.

Robert,

Some us were/are wondering if the Gen II is now the standard on the Super Snake. One of your associates told my ford dealer that my SS (2012 GT500) is being held up from being delivered because you don't have a shift knob for it. If you guys did install the Gen II, then I've got a Shelby ball that will fit just fine.

Cheers, Mike "Blackout" Sukach

Robert,

Some us were/are wondering if the Gen II is now the standard on the Super Snake. One of your associates told my ford dealer that my SS (2012 GT500) is being held up from being delivered because you don't have a shift knob for it. If you guys did install the Gen II, then I've got a Shelby ball that will fit just fine.

Mike,

Ping me at phill.pollard@comcast.net and I can give you a little info on the SS sign-off process.

Phill

Robert,

Mike/Blackout already has his answer to this but for those who don't know:

As Roger Sorel stated in another post, ALL Super Snakes now come equipped with a MGW Ltd. Short-Throw shifter as standard equipment, NOT the Shelby (Drake mfgd) "Gen II" shifter.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

Man am I glad I found this thread. I was actually only a couple days away from ordering this shifter, now I am wondering if any of the short throw shifters are really good for a daily driven car?

I have had my MGW for over a year now and have no complaints.

I've had mine for about the same length of time and it's the best money I've spent on the car, by far.

Daily driver or weekend warrior, the MGW Short-throw shifter can't be beat.

Phill Pollard

I've had mine for about the same length of time and it's the best money I've spent on the car, by far.

Daily driver or weekend warrior, the MGW Short-throw shifter can't be beat.

Phill Pollard

Phill, do you still have that opinion?

A MGW shifter is better than the stock (10'-12') shifter?

Do you still have that funny feeling the OEM shifter transmit when you shift from 1st to 2nd (engagement in two "clics")?

Or is it good because it is not worse than the OEM... :-)

Thx for your opinion. I am ready to order because the stock one does not please me, but read mixed feelings about those aftermarket shifters.

I would not exchange problems for others...

I'm going to be installing a Barton Industry shifter in the next day or two. I'll let you know what I think of it afterwards. Looking at it, it is very well designed and I don't think it will transmit as much noise as the other aftermarket shifters as the rear mount because of how they do the rear mount

I'm going to be installing a Barton Industry shifter in the next day or two. I'll let you know what I think of it afterwards. Looking at it, it is very well designed and I don't think it will transmit as much noise as the other aftermarket shifters as the rear mount because of how they do the rear mount

Someone on another forum who did this in a 13 said its loud as f**k. Though in the video american muscle did with their barton in a GT I don't hear anything.

Phill, do you still have that opinion?

A MGW shifter is better than the stock (10'-12') shifter?

Do you still have that funny feeling the OEM shifter transmit when you shift from 1st to 2nd (engagement in two "clics")?

Or is it good because it is not worse than the OEM... :-)

Thx for your opinion. I am ready to order because the stock one does not please me, but read mixed feelings about those aftermarket shifters.

I would not exchange problems for others...

Sorry, I just saw this post from Aug. 25 today for some reason.

Yes, I still have the same opinion. As I said to svt13 in private, the ONLY "issue" I have with the MGW is with finding 5th and 6th gear. But I have also discovered it is a learning process. When I first put the shifter in I had to hunt all over the place for 5th gear. 1st thru 4th were like a old Muncie 4spd, POSITIVE. You can not miss 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear and THAT is what I wanted (for drag racing reasons). I rarely use 6th gear, occasionally use 5th gear.

As my learning curved advanced I now find 5th with little to no problem. 6th is still a *little* hard...It's not a 'natural' find. I have to think about how I pull the handle down before doing it. I wouldn't dare try a 6th gear 'speed shift' because I'd stand a good chance of ramming it into 4th. I have hit R when looking for 5th in the past (apparently my reverse lock-out isn't working!) and probably ground a few thou off of my reverse/cluster gears!

Other than that, I LOVE my MGW. I wouldn't trade it for the world and would only go back to stock in the event that I wanted to go back to 100% original.

Phill

Sorry, I just saw this post from Aug. 25 today for some reason.

Yes, I still have the same opinion. As I said to svt13 in private, the ONLY "issue" I have with the MGW is with finding 5th and 6th gear. But I have also discovered it is a learning process. When I first put the shifter in I had to hunt all over the place for 5th gear. 1st thru 4th were like a old Muncie 4spd, POSITIVE. You can not miss 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear and THAT is what I wanted (for drag racing reasons). I rarely use 6th gear, occasionally use 5th gear.

As my learning curved advanced I now find 5th with little to no problem. 6th is still a *little* hard...It's not a 'natural' find. I have to think about how I pull the handle down before doing it. I wouldn't dare try a 6th gear 'speed shift' because I'd stand a good chance of ramming it into 4th. I have hit R when looking for 5th in the past (apparently my reverse lock-out isn't working!) and probably ground a few thou off of my reverse/cluster gears!

Other than that, I LOVE my MGW. I wouldn't trade it for the world and would only go back to stock in the event that I wanted to go back to 100% original.

Phill

OK I will give it a try then.

Thx!