Bsmoke

Do ALL 07-08 GT500's Have To Have The Clutch/Flywheel TSB done eventually?

Is the flywheel warp TSB something that ALL 07-late 08 GT500's will have to have done eventually?

Is this a fault that occurs in ALL of them?

I have not had any of the symptoms and I'm hoping I never have to have it done, but

I only have 5500mi. on it.

Is there an average on how long they last if well taken care of or is it all over the map and random?

I have not had any of the symptoms and I'm hoping I never have to have it done, but

I kinda wish I could just go ahead and have it done IF it is a definite that it will happen, BUT

the dealership says it has to have the symptoms first.

Can the syncro/tranny problem happen RIGHT as the flywheel warp happens?

Or would it be a while before kinda like

step 1: flywheel symtoms

Then with a little time

step 2: tranny symtoms

The thing that scares me the most is the transmission problem.

I DONT want that to happen.

BTW very important question to me.

If these cars do end up having transmission problems in the TSB, does Ford still

put in brand new transmissions, or do they just go in and repair the transmission?

(Is it better to get a new one or no difference?)

If that ever happened I sure would like to keep my original transmission number so the car

would still be a numbers matching GT500. IF replacing the parts would be just as good as getting a new one.

I know I had quite a few questions. I'm really trying to get ALL of them answered just so I can be well informed and

not worry about not knowing these answers for sure.

Thank you SO MUCH everyone for the help!

I have many friends that still have the original clutch / flywheel system in their car. It's one of those hit and miss things. If the shifting gets notchy it will start to wear the syncros in the tranny and trash them. you *might* never have to have the work done...or you might need it done next month. It's hard to say.

Ford uses a tranny rebuild kit if the tranny is affected. No new trannys are being put it.

Take a look at this thread and think about going after market if you have to have it done because this could save you a bunch of money because most dealers do not cover it after 3 years or 12K miles...sad to say. However some do....but it is a hard sell.

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Grabber

Just so you know, this is not limited to the 07 to 08 GT500's only. The 09 is affected to.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/page__view__findpost__p__910167

+1 as I have recently found out. Rob (Grabber) recently sent me the updated TSB. If u would like to have a copy of it let him or I know and we can email it to you. It's good to read over and have it if/when you take it in to the dealership.

Is it normal for second gear to be a little harder to put into gear?

Like a bit more of a catch before it goes in entirely?

Also about the tranny... if they do have a problem are they just

repairing the tranny or are they ordering whole new transmissions?

Is it normal for second gear to be a little harder to put into gear?

Like a bit more of a catch before it goes in entirely?

Also about the tranny... if they do have a problem are they just

repairing the tranny or are they ordering whole new transmissions?

When the car warms up, the 2nd gear smooths out. Mine does that for the first couple shifts when it is cold.

Is the flywheel warp TSB something that ALL 07-late 08 GT500's will have to have done eventually?

Is there an average on how long they last if well taken care of or is it all over the map and random?

I kinda wish I could just go ahead and have it done IF it is a definite that it will happen, BUT

Then with a little time

If these cars do end up having transmission problems in the TSB, does Ford still

put in brand new transmissions, or do they just go in and repair the transmission?

If that ever happened I sure would like to keep my original transmission number so the car

would still be a numbers matching GT500. IF replacing the parts would be just as good as getting a new one.

I know I had quite a few questions. I'm really trying to get ALL of them answered just so I can be well informed and

I know six guys with 07/08s and all of them and myself have experienced the dreaded clutch problem.

The OP has excellent questions concerning the clutch/flywheel/tranny on 07-09 GT500's. Of course this doesn't happen to all 07-09's as most folks who don't have issues are unlikely to post. These are almost the exact questions I've been running through my head several days after I purchased my 07 GT500. You see it was after I purchased the car that I finally found out of these potential issues. Had I known about the potential headache I think I would've still purchased the car however had more leverage to discount the asking price. Fortunately it only had 900 miles on the OD and was owned by a collector that needed to sell; the car is virtually brand new. The car isn't a DD but is used strickly for fun and is all stock. The only issue I get is an occasional shudder when the clutch isn't released completely and fast enough (more than likely user error). My thoughts are possibly to get out in front of the potential of not only have a clutch/flywheel issue but also have a tranny issue. Unfortunately it's like looking into a crystal ball to tell if you should take action now or wait until symtoms arise.

BTW - This is my 1st post on this forum so please consider this my introduction. Lerking around for several weeks on this forum I quickly noted extremely knowledgeable people and a willing to always help fellow members.

Thanks Bsmoke for posting these questions!

Cheers,

Moncho

The OP has excellent questions concerning the clutch/flywheel/tranny on 07-09 GT500's. Of course this doesn't happen to all 07-09's as most folks who don't have issues are unlikely to post. These are almost the exact questions I've been running through my head several days after I purchased my 07 GT500. You see it was after I purchased the car that I finally found out of these potential issues. Had I known about the potential headache I think I would've still purchased the car however had more leverage to discount the asking price. Fortunately it only had 900 miles on the OD and was owned by a collector that needed to sell; the car is virtually brand new. The car isn't a DD but is used strickly for fun and is all stock. The only issue I get is an occasional shudder when the clutch isn't released completely and fast enough (more than likely user error). My thoughts are possibly to get out in front of the potential of not only have a clutch/flywheel issue but also have a tranny issue. Unfortunately it's like looking into a crystal ball to tell if you should take action now or wait until symtoms arise.

BTW - This is my 1st post on this forum so please consider this my introduction. Lerking around for several weeks on this forum I quickly noted extremely knowledgeable people and a willing to always help fellow members.

Thanks Bsmoke for posting these questions!

Cheers,

Moncho

I get that same shudder feel as you described. I have just found that this car just wants to move and needs a little more gas and to run each gear a little higher in the rpms before shifting. There's nothing wrong with the clutch, just a tough clutch to use. That's why I think most of the problems are coming from the daily driver 500's and stop and go traffic is just tearing them up. Also I'm going to try to say this and not offend anybody lol but some of the shelbys around in my area seems to be people with a little to much money and no idea how to drive it. Thats just at our local 1/4 mile strip. I swore one guy broke but it was just him missing 2nd gear 4 times lol. But mine could very easily do the same problems tomorrow if it wanted so we'll see.

@ Bassaholic,

Agree 100%, these cars are to be driven without being tentative. I have no problems when the cobra is driven how it should, meaning lay on the gas a bit and release the clutch straight away.

Cheers,

Moncho

Now that winter has rared its ugly head, I have a little more time to spend doing research on my 40th. I've seen several threads about 07-09' clutch issues. So, what should I be looking for? Showing 3,600 on the OD. I have noticed it is sometimes difficult getting into reverse, no noise, but as if it just does not want to find the gear as if it doesn't exist. Then again, could be operator error. I haven't used a clutch since the late 80's (that's so wrong). I've only put 200 miles on her since I purchased back in October. I believe the build date is June 06, if that matters.

When I pull in the garage I hear a hiss or loud suction everytime I start to release the clutch. Tight fit in the garage, still learning what works, for now several short releases trying to creap forward.

Any help is appreciated.

Now that winter has rared its ugly head, I have a little more time to spend doing research on my 40th. I've seen several threads about 07-09' clutch issues. So, what should I be looking for? Showing 3,600 on the OD. I have noticed it is sometimes difficult getting into reverse, no noise, but as if it just does not want to find the gear as if it doesn't exist. Then again, could be operator error. I haven't used a clutch since the late 80's (that's so wrong). I've only put 200 miles on her since I purchased back in October. I believe the build date is June 06, if that matters.

When I pull in the garage I hear a hiss or loud suction everytime I start to release the clutch. Tight fit in the garage, still learning what works, for now several short releases trying to creap forward.

Any help is appreciated.

The hisssss is very normal.

Enjoy your car and just drive it.

When the car starts to bump and grind when shifting thru the gears or the RPM's rev up and the car does not go faster, you have a problem. Then it will be time to go aftermarket. You may get many years and many thousands of miles on your OEM set up like many others.

I currently have 16000 on mine and still going strong. When it's time for a new clutch it will be aftermarket. Mine is a 2008 with a few mods and sticky tires.

32,000 miles on my 07 and no clutch or transmission problem yet. I don't drive it in town much but use it as a traveling car. One thing I always tell myself when driving it, never slip the clutch. Either in or out. And give it a little more gas than normal when releasing the clutch to keep it from chattering.

DWY330

That's a beautiful car, 52,000 miles, Nice!!!

I agree. The rims on that car look really good !

We've got just over 40k on our '07 with hundreds of hard launches and hundreds of road course miles with no problems. Gary Davis told us when we first received the car to go to an empty parking lot and practice starting out in 1st gear without touching the gas. This helped to locate and time for the exact spot of engagement. Once engaged, you can get on the throttle. Nonetheless, we've seen the clutches go up in smoke the first time someone attempted to do a burnout or launch thier car while "slipping" the clutch and hitting the rev limiter. Just think engaged or disengaged - no "slipping" or "riding" the clutch like dlangvardt posted.

Grabber is correct (as always) with the second gear "crunch" when cold. Also, we've found when it won't easily go into reverse, keep the clutch in the whole time, shift into 5th and then back into reverse - works every time.

Now, with all that being said, our car rarely sees stop and go traffic, and the clutch could let go the next time we drive.

Edited by gchaser1

My '08 has about 8K on it now, and I have no issues with clutch. I NEVER slip the clutch, either. I always make sure I have complete engagement prior to adding any power. Slipping causes heat, and heat is this clutches enemy. I will always know it is a potential point of issues, so it will be monitored, and if I ever notice drag, I will have to deal with it. Hope not, but it will always be a potential situaton....

I agree. The rims on that car look really good !

Hey thanks guys, I have done another round of mods on the car and original clutch is still intact!

Grabber I'm envious you now have two!

Hey thanks guys, I have done another round of mods on the car and original clutch is still intact!

Grabber I'm envious you now have two!

I'm one lucky guy that my wife has the passion for these cars too! :wub:

Her Christmas presents just arrived. KR Mufflers, H pipe, Ford Racing CAI with VMP tune and 2.59 pulley and some new hood struts and BMR Lower Control arms.

Now I need to find some time to start working on the car. She is going to be very surprised when she gets to drive it again this coming Spring.

Those still with original clutch. How firm is the pedal? Mine is not near as hard to press as what I had with GT's from the 80's and 2000. Some of the clutches I had in earlier stangs you would want to take the car out of gear if you were stuck at a long stop light. This clutch is pretty soft. I haven't found another GT500 to compare it to locally. Would really like to compare the difference not only how the clutch feels, but the how the overall power compares. My 40th already had mods when I purchased so not sure how much it has changed. It looks like there is a FRPP TVS and FRPP CAI, other than that not sure.

The possible issues I have found are difficult to put into 1st or reverse, as if hitting a brick wall. The other day a was in 3rd running 40 mph and punched it. Not sure if the clutched slipped or if the tires lit up. Sounded like the tires broke loose, but the sound was muffled by that sweet whine under the hood.

th_IMG_5392.jpg

When the car warms up, the 2nd gear smooths out. Mine does that for the first couple shifts when it is cold.

same here. been like that since day one. im still on the Stock Clutch/flywheel with 22k. im must be lucky cause most that i know have had it done with less than 10k

same here. I have about 2K miles on my 2008 and it has always been extremely "notchy" in second and sometimes 3rd for the first 5 minutes of operation. This is very annoying because many of my trips are very short distance so the notchiness is there almost all the time

I don't want to risk damage to my vehicle by taking it in for the TSB (bad service record with my Mustangs) so I'm still on the fence about taking it in..

Not to get into details (Grabber's the one who knows this issue better than any non-Ford engineer) but the major culprit in the 07-09 GT500 clutch/flywheel problem is the design of the flywheel. And, as has been alluded to in many posts already, "slipping" the clutch exposes the flywheel's weakness. It does not evenly dissipate the heat that is generated due to slippage. So when it cools, it warps. And thus begins the multitude of other symptoms.

All GT500's built before the new flywheel design are "susceptible" to the problem. Not ALL will experience it. My car had issues because I regularly loaded it onto a very small trailer, and had to slip the clutch while making sure that the car was properly aligned without letting it roll backwards down the ramps.

As for the bump in 2nd (& sometimes 3rd) when cold; it's normal. Just give a little extra time between gears for those first few shifts until everything warms up. Even my daughter's V6 Terlingua likes to grind 3rd gear if you shift aggressively when it is very cold.

For anyone looking to replace theirs, Ford Racing has just released a new clutch/flywheel kit for our cars. It is still cerametallic but is a single disc and looks to be reasonably priced. That will be the route I go when the time comes. Because one thing is for certain: If you drive a standard long enough, the clutch WILL eventually FAIL..............

Then with a little time

My '07 GT500 has about 6200 miles and has had two different Clutch/Trans TSBs done by Galpin Ford in SoCal. The first one, to eliminate the clutch drag, chatter, hiss, and notchy shifting, was completed when it was about a year old. It worked great for a while, then the clutch chatter returned. I was thinking I'd have to go with an aftermarket clutch/flywheel, but recently saw a thread about a newer TSB on another Shelby forum so I called Galpin and talked to the Asst Service Manager, Leonard Arsanos. I told him about the clutch chatter problem and he verified that my car was still under the 5/50 powertrain warranty so no charge for the work. Leonard said the latest TSB was the real fix and I'd be happy with it-the clutch will work as it should have when it left the factory, in his words. And when did I want to bring it In?

He was right: the clutch pedal has a lighter, more linear feel to it and the pedal can be released at just above idle RPM with no chatter. I also tried a 2nd gear launch and that was smooth. Keeping my fingers crossed that the new flywheel material will hold up better under heat stress and not warp!

Leonard asked me to pass the word that they welcome doing the GT500 clutch TSB work, his # is 818-787-3800 x2130. If you're getting the stiffarm from your dealer and you don't live close enough to bring your car to Galpin, it's worth calling to see if he can give you the right info/contacts to change your dealer's mind.

Edited by 500vertdriver
  • Like 1

My '07 GT500 has about 6200 miles and has had two different Clutch/Trans TSBs done by Galpin Ford in SoCal. The first one, to eliminate the clutch drag, chatter, hiss, and notchy shifting, was completed when it was less than a year old. It worked great for a while, then the clutch chatter returned. I was thinking I'd have to go with an aftermarket clutch/flywheel, but recently saw a thread about a newer TSB on another Shelby forum so I called Galpin and talked to the Asst Service Manager, Leonard Arsanos. I told him about the clutch chatter problem and he verified that my car was still under the 5/50 powertrain warranty so no charge for the work. Leonard said the latest TSB was the real fix and I'd be happy with it-the clutch will work as it should have when it left the factory, in his words. And when did I want to bring it In?

He was right: the clutch pedal has a lighter, more linear feel to it and the pedal can be released at just above idle RPM with no chatter. I also tried a 2nd gear launch and that was smooth. Keeping my fingers crossed that the new flywheel material will hold up better under heat stress and not warp!

Leonard asked me to pass the word that they welcome doing the GT500 clutch TSB work, his # is 818-787-3800 x2130. If you're getting the stiffarm from your dealer and you don't live close enough to bring your car to Galpin, it's worth calling to see if he can give you the right info/contacts to change your dealer's mind.

That is great to know as I wasn't sure who I could take my 09 into in Orange County if I started to have clutch troubles, Thanks mate