robertlane

Ford Mustang Driveshaft Failure

Another 2011 V6. I have seen one other 2011 V6 dyno video like this also. Seems like the 2011s are having some problems :idea:

They are probably having them made offshore..

I know with hydraulic product about 30% + of everything you purchase fails prematurely due to incorrect metal content.

It's a real crap shoot....cheap price but the quality really suffers...

Edited by SHELBYCS6

000260-R1-20-5A.jpg

This was about the same sound when mine let go after the CS6 conversion and it was at a much lower speed just hard acceleration..and yes...pucker is an understatement..

Mine failed the very first day I brought my car home after the CS6 completion...I don't think I had two hours on the car.

Ford said Shelby were notified not to increase the HP in the V6 vehicle because the driveshaft was marginal and Shelby said Ford told them nothing and they never experienced any issue with any other vehicle so I was S.O.L.

Bottom line.......it cost me close to $5k to have the car stripped, damage completely repaired to new factory condition and a 1pc. driveshaft fabricated and safety loop installed..

Tough pill to swallow on a brand new car..

,,just saying ,,its always good to think ahead ,,000260-R1-20-5A.jpg

I was thinking of adding a supercharger to the GTS that's getting built but this video is making rethink everything. How cheap can those shafts be that they come apart? Isn't Ford telling us how great and reliable their cars are and this happens? WOW!

Ford has not mislead anyone. From what I've read the V6 drive shafts where never intended to handle much more than 300hp and 110-120mph. Just as the half shafts of the old IRS Cobras couldn't handle to power potential of the Terminator. In any vehical that is modified for more power and speed you will have to address the weakest links if you want reliable performance beyond the stock specs.

As for the SuperCharged V6 GTS, it hard to say what is right move without more info. For all we know at the moment the V6 drive shaft can handle much more power/torq than the stock specs and that it's weakness appears with significant centrifugal force (increase rotational speed).

Edited by EL SHELBY

Build the blown GTS...just budget an extra few hundred $'s for a one piece, aluminum driveshaft.

Ford has not mislead anyone. From what I've read the V6 drive shafts where never intended to handle much more than 300hp and 110-120mph. Just as the half shafts of the old IRS Cobras couldn't handle to power potential of the Terminator. In any vehical that is modified for more power and speed you will have to address the weakest links if you want reliable performance beyond the stock specs.

As for the SuperCharged V6 GTS, it hard to say what is right move without more info. For all we know at the moment the V6 drive shaft can handle much more power/torq than the stock specs and that it's weakness appears with significant centrifugal force (increase rotational speed).

My info from Ford indicates 230 hp on the S197 V6 shaft

The new ones are rated at a higher HP but there is a strict limit on speed and I think I read not to exceed 120 mph and that would hold true with your comment.

I think the duel stage flywheel which is designed and tuned to a specific HP rating also has had a role to play in the failures. Harmonics can do some strange things. There is a aftermarket company with the one piece that has had a failure on the dyno. Possibly more than one. I believe it is specific to the V6 car. If you have a 2011 (not sure what they put in there prior to 2011) My recommendation would be to go to a regular 1 piece flywheel, spec clutch and one piece aftermarket shaft and you should be fine.