Dukewacoan

Modification of new 2007 GT500

I was recently able to buy a 2007 Shelby GT500 Convertible. The vehicle currently has less than 3,000 miles and is all stock, except for a Ford Racing M-5230-S exhaust added last week just to get it a little louder.

I am now looking at adding a CAI and Tune. The following are available locally and I'd appreciate any advice and recommendations:

1. Black JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake, SCT SF3 Flash Programmer, and a Custom Tune From Blow-By Racing

2. Steeda Cold Air Intake, SCT SF3 Flash Programmer and a Custom Tune From Blow-By Racing

So basically it's the JLT vs the Steeda. I don't know if there is a more preferential Tune.

This car is a going to be 99% a daily driver car.

I'm pretty much a novice on all things under the hood.

Thoughts?

If you aren't interested in a smaller pulley/Idler, consider the Ford Racing Kit which includes a Cai, Pro-cal Tuner, and Tune, It's the Frpp setup # M-9603-SVT07, I have it on my 09 Vert., also with the KR Axlebacks and it has good driveability and put down 500 Rwhp / 473 Rwtq, Sae, on a Dynojet. Better numbers than I anticipated. Kit should be around $ 600.00 from Buyfordracing.com or from Steve at Tousley Ford. If the car is still under warranty, a Dealer should charge about an hour or less labor to install and keep the warranty, or it's an easy self-install....A good safe choice....You will be able to hear the motor, and the Blower whine.... Good luck with your choice!!

Congrats on the purchase Dukewacoan! I picked up my 08 Shelby Convertible last summer kept it stock until winter storage then started to read the forums... Bad Move :finger:I completely upgraded my suspension during the off season now I lust for more power.. I just pulled the trigger on a Power Package upgrade (JLT Big Air Cold Air Intake SCT Tuner with Lund Racing Tune, Upper Pulley 90MM Idler: 2.50 VMP Pulley Puller and a Set of NGK TR6 Plugs) From my research give Revan Racing a call, Van will answer all your questions and has great service with the GT500 community.

Good Luck with your decision!

We just purchased a under 13K mile 2007 GT500 about 14 weeks ago.... Stock as the day it came off the boat.

My phase One package, bought and installed the week I got home, was:

FFRP FR3 suspension package, BMR panhard bar, lower control arms, J&M camber plates, Steed anti bump steer kit.

Revan Racing C&R dual fan heat exchanger, 170 deg T Stat, OEM look larger IC tank, 2.59 upper pulley, JLT 123mm Big Air plastic CAI, SCT X3 W/Jon Lund 91 & 93 Oct tune.

Fresh brake fluid all around, Hawk HPS pads.

SPEC Super Twin SS trim clutch & flywheel, new throw out bearing, slave, and input shaft bearing.

The package works well together, nice power increase, decent handling for a middle of the road suspension set up.. Tight at most street speeds, but loose in the front end at full speed.. Nothing $7k in Griggs Racing parts cant fix.. :lol:

Edited by E.Marquez

We just purchased a under 13K mile 2007 GT500 about 14 weeks ago.... Stock as the day it came off the boat.

My phase One package, bought and installed the week I got home, was:

FFRP FR3 suspension package, BMR panhard bar, lower control arms, J&M camber plates, Steed anti bump steer kit.

Revan Racing C&R dual fan heat exchanger, 170 deg T Stat, OEM look larger IC tank, 2.59 upper pulley, JLT 123mm Big Air plastic CAI, SCT X3 W/Jon Lund 91 & 93 Oct tune.

Fresh brake fluid all around, Hawk HPS pads.

SPEC Super Twin SS trim clutch & flywheel, new throw out bearing, slave, and input shaft bearing.

The package works well together, nice power increase, decent handling for a middle of the road suspension set up.. Tight at most street speeds, but loose in the front end at full speed.. Nothing $7k in Griggs Racing parts cant fix.. :lol:

If you changed the top pulley on a 07 gt500 you need to change the bottom balancer to a 08 -12 model balancer the 07 weighs about 27lb it puts alot of stress on the crankshaft with a smaller top pulley . the newer balancer is only about 12 lbs .If you decide you want to change to a newer lighter one I have a used one with 200 miles on it off a 2010 gt500 they cost about 250.00 new I will sell this used one for 105.00 plus shipping just to get it out of my way . 428cj Edited by 428cj

If you changed the top pulley on a 07 gt500 you need to change the bottom balancer to a 08 -12 model balancer the 07 weighs about 27lb it puts alot of stress on the crankshaft with a smaller top pulley . the newer balancer is only about 12 lbs.

change out the lower is a must if you are going to upgrade the horsepower.

However, suspension upgrades should be a higher priority.

Here is a starting point.

Post # 13

http://www.teamshelb...44#entry1136944

Post 28

http://www.teamshelb...06#entry1155706

Welcome to the club.

Edited by dbackg

OP, they have a good catch.. on an 2007, the lower pulley is a HUGE boat anchor.. I did mine as part of the build up... Tousley Ford supplied an SVT damper at a price that could not be passed up.. not much more then many are trying to sell a used 08' and up take off damper. BRAND NEW SVT lowers are NOT $250..

http://www.tousleyfo...&catalogid=5684

Each $165.00 2008 MUSTANG SVT CRANKSHAFT DAMPER

• New factory replacement damper from the 2008 SVT Mustang 5.4L 4V engine
  • 10 lbs lighter than the 2007 factory SVT Crankshaft Damper
  • Must be installed on the 2007 Mustang SVT when using Ford Racing Supercharger M-6066-SGT to qualify for warranty.

Item # M-6312-SVT

$165 BRAND NEW

Edited by E.Marquez

OP, they have a good catch.. on an 2007, the lower pulley is a HUGE boat anchor.. I did mine as part of the build up... Tousley Ford supplied an SVT damper at a price that could not be passed up.. not much more then many are trying to sell a used 08' and up take off damper. BRAND NEW SVT lowers are NOT $250..

http://www.tousleyfo...&catalogid=5684

Each $165.00 2008 MUSTANG SVT CRANKSHAFT DAMPER

• New factory replacement damper from the 2008 SVT Mustang 5.4L 4V engine

• 10 lbs lighter than the 2007 factory SVT Crankshaft Damper

• Must be installed on the 2007 Mustang SVT when using Ford Racing Supercharger M-6066-SGT to qualify for warranty.

Item # M-6312-SVT

$165 BRAND NEW

YOU are right they have came down I checked the price back in 08 when I changed mine 428cj