Sign in to follow this  
need4speed

2008 CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT

I recently sold my muscle car and bought a 2008 gt500 with 5k miles. the only issue I have is there seems to be no gradual engagment of the clutch. I let it out about 1/3 to 1/2 and it immediately grabs. I have to rev it a little to it does not stall. I have not driven a clutch in many years, but my mustang friends made the same comments. Any suggestions or similar issues? thanks

I have a 2008 gt 500 - it got the technical service clutch replacement and Ford paid for that entirely. Since that time, I have had another clutch put in it and it only had 20,000 miles on it - my dealer got ford to pay half, but my half was $1900. The dealer has told me that this "new" clutch has solved the problem, whatever that means....

It's a hydrolic clutch. Very little play in it and little you can do about it. No adjustments (unless it needs bledding), you have to rev it some as you let out the clutch, it'll take some practice and you'll get the hang of it. BTW welcome to Team Shelby and congrats on picking up your GT500!

Mike

The factory clutch is a bit grabby. Combine that with the tall gears and the car can be a pain. I'm sure you have read about all the issues with the clutch on these cars. I didn't want to wait any longer for mine to go out so I had Alex's crew put in a Spec SS clutch at 36,000 miles. I now have a more "normal" clutch engagement. I still think first gear is too high, but at least now the clutch works like every other clutch I have ever had.

Half of a new clutch was $1,900.00??? Holy cow. That hardly sounds correct...

I'm sure it's the labor. I just replaced ball joints in my truck and asked the dealer what they got for that service and it was just under $1200 per side so it would have been about $2500 out the door with both sides and an alignment. They had 6 billable hours in there for each side if memory serves me correct. I'd never done ball joints before, but first side took me just under 4 hours and second 2.5 hours. Parts were less than $400.

As far as the clutch, that's just the way they are and it takes a little getting used to. I'm sure that's why they eventually changed them to something different. It's a good clutch though.

I recently sold my muscle car and bought a 2008 gt500 with 5k miles. the only issue I have is there seems to be no gradual engagment of the clutch. I let it out about 1/3 to 1/2 and it immediately grabs. I have to rev it a little to it does not stall. I have not driven a clutch in many years, but my mustang friends made the same comments. Any suggestions or similar issues? thanks

I know exactly what u mean, my '09 does the same thing. I own an '11, and a few other stick-shift cars(and have owned MANY manuals in my life-time), but the '07-'09 GT500 is a different animal. As others have said, between the 3.31 gears & the heavy-duty "on-off" clutch, it takes a little effort to "roll-out" smoothly. I usually give it a "little" gas, then come up off the clutch somewhat quickly(to avoid too much slippage), while giving it more gas to accelerate. I've gotten used to it & actually kinda like it, but there's definitely a "learning curve". Different gears or clutch would help....G/L & enjoy it!!

My stock clutch started slipping at 17000 miles. I thought it was the rear wheels breaking loose at first. The dealer and Ford denied the TSB (a holes) but I was able to get them to put a Mcloud rxt twin disc in along with short throw KR shifter. Total price 2300.00 parts and labor (500 bucks for teardown inspection and reinstallation) compared to thier 4000.00 price for replacing it with the original crap. I am dissappointed with them saying It was me not the clutch in which I repied I have the original tires and brakes, and the f-in clutch went? Please. Well now the clutch pedal is hangin up slightly and quite often near the point of engagement due to possibly needing to bleed the clutch or they didn't follow the instructions and installed it too tight so I am told. The dealer is supposed to have a SVT tech to sell the cars but they don't.

I love this car but if I had known it was going to be such a pain and expensive to get it to work right I wouldn't have bought it, too much of a load financially for a lemon. Not being rich its been a tough ride and a bad deal.

Welcome to TS and congrats on ur '08 GT500. What you describe is exactly what most experience on the '07-'09 until you learn to manage the clutch with out the shuttering. Took me some time but the way I get around it (for the most part) is quickly engaging and not sitting on it. However when parking in the garage or rolling forward and having to go reverse you have no choice but to ride the clutch some. You may also notice a hiss when riding it as well, this is normal. If it's a daily driver most experience a shortened life on the clutch with constant stop & go due to a warping flywheel. Once the flywheel is warped it will damage the clutch and in some cases the synchros for 1st & 2nd gear. This is a high performance clutch/pressure plate & flywheel therefore it prefers the quick release of the clutch. Don't be discouraged by this as many folks are able to put many miles before a clutch replacement. Just don't ride the clutch and drive it like you stole it.

:peelout:

Cheers,

Ray

• Like 1

Moncho and the others are correct, it just takes time getting used to it. At first I thought it was operator error. The hardest part is knowing you don't have it down yet. For me that added a element of stress. But all was well in no time at all. I was very happy with the driving experience. I say was because Grabber my husband took my car in last night to get the 2010 flywheel installed. Also putting in short shifter since it's all opened up.

On another note if you PM Grabber he can tell you if you have the "newest" clutch-for there were problems for some with the 07-09 runs.

Happy driving-

Edited by Tanabanana