bigmmac

Optima battery install in 2008 gt500 question

My battery died, so I purchased a red top optima. The battery doesn't fit well in the battery tray. Did I get the wrong battery? Any tips to succure the battery better or do I have to get a new tray also?

Thanks, mike

Mine is tight in there, just much smaller than the OEM

SAM_1975.jpg

My 2007 GT500 came with a new Optima Red Top in it when I bought it, and I can see it is much smaller than the original, but it is still in there tight with the original strap holding it...

You can just modify the tray that comes with the RedTop. There are some tabs that need to be removed with a razor blade then it will fit snug. If you go to www.svtperformance.com and search the Shelby section there is a post by Tob( I think) that shows a how to with pics. That is how I did mine.

yellow is good if you deep cycle a lot, such as playing a power hungry stereo for long periods of time with the engine off.

Edited by TrakRat

My 2007 GT500 came with a new Optima Red Top in it when I bought it, and I can see it is much smaller than the original, but it is still in there tight with the original strap holding it...

I have yellow and now UPR bracket. Had just the slightest gap that would enable battery to slide in hard turns or braking. I then used some thin soft rubber padding (the type used in kitchen drawers) cut to size under battery and upper bracket. Battery does not move period and am no longer worried about terminals making contact on hood.