Staff

Shelby Track Pack

Shelby Track Pack

S5MKR-5400-U-2.jpg

Click here to learn more.

When you want to take your car to the next level on the track this Shelby Track Pack will take you there and beyond. This suspension system is a complete make-over for your car and will make it handle like it is on rails. It was designed, engineered, and built completely in the U.S.A. and has been tested on race tracks around the U.S.

Each kit is built to balance the weight of your car from the Mustang V6 up to the mighty, and heavy, Shelby GT500. The kit is a full coil-over conversion with single adjustable "custom valved" Koni inserts both front and rear, and features specific spring rates for the different model cars and can be customized to suit different driving styles. The front struts have caster camber plates that allow for +/- 2.5 degrees of adjustment, along with off-set strut housings that allow fitment of 18 x 10.5 wheels with 315 tires all the way around the car. The coup de grace is the watts linkage that keeps that solid rear axle firmly placed in the center of the car no matter what terrain you going over or corner you are flying around. The pivot point for the watts linkage is incorporated into the differential cover for added strength, and can be moved while on the car to fine tune your roll center depending on what style of driving you are doing. The differential cover also has provisions for a differential cooler and temperature sensor, as well as fill and drain holes for ease of maintenance.

Options are available for this kit to complete the suspension make-over. Such as the Shelby American Handling Pack to keep body roll under control, and the adjustable sway bar end links that hold the front sway bar in place and can be adjusted for added stiffness. Also when lowering the car it is recommended to get bump steer tie rod adjusters to fine tune the bump steer out of the suspension to keep your car tracking straight and true even when going over rumble strips or hitting a joint on the street.

Notes:

This is a track biased suspension system and will have a more rough ride and will transfer more noise into the cabin of the vehicle.

Click here for track test data.

Installation Instructions:

Click here for instructions.

Applications:

2005-2012 Mustang

2007-2008 Shelby GT

2007-2012 Shelby GT500

Coupe Only

Shelby American

Always insist on genuine Shelby American products for your Shelby Mustang.

Made in the U.S.A.

Release date:

New product release: 15 May 2012.

Click here to learn more.

Whoa!

Looks like Griggs and Shelby went together for quicker lap times! :wub2:

Real rear coil over

Adjustable watts

Shelby logo laser cut parts, NICE!!!

It's NOT from Griggs Racing it is from Cortex and if your looking for the missing part to make this really work - buy a Torque Arm ( I suggest a Griggs unit )

I may have over looked it. Any idea how much ride hight is effected?

They are adjustable shocks/struts so ride height is adjustable.

Where's the Watts link? It shows a Panhard bar in the pic...

Phill

Click onto the installation instructions and they give you a suggested ride height and where to measure it from .

They are adjustable shocks/struts so ride height is adjustable.

Where's the Watts link? It shows a Panhard bar in the pic...

Phill

Phill - drink your morning coffee bro - that is a support brace for the watts tower that is welded to the drivers' side floor. Seriously - does anybody bother to read the instructions anymore ? :doh::hysterical2: Edited by Albino500
  • Like 1

Phill - drink your morning coffee bro - that is a support brace for the watts tower that is welded to the drivers' side floor. Seriously - does anybody bother to read the instructions anymore ? :doh::hysterical2:

Eh? The blue bar across the top of the pic? Hmm, I don't see a adjuster so I'll take yer word for it. But I still don't see a Watts link. I assume the two blue bars on the left are links for the watts?

And I damn near choked when I noticed the price! But the pic is deciving since it doesn't show the Watts link/linkage so it looks liker yer gettin' a set of shocks/struts, springs, trailing arms, LCA relocators, and a axle cover for 5 grand. YIKES!

I need a Coke...or ten!

Phill

The blue bars are the adjustable Lower Control Arms and the silver arms are the watts links . They do not show the propeller pivot in the pic at the top of this page . The shocks are Koni 30 series ( rebound adjustable only ) on the base model , it looks like Eibach springs being used , and Ground Control coilover sleeves and GC caster/camber plates . It appears that they are using POLY bushings on the watts pivot ?

Edited by Albino500

The blue bars are the adjustable Lower Control Arms and the silver arms are the watts links . They do not show the propeller pivot in the pic at the top of this page .

Got it. I wasn't sure if the blue bars or the silver bars were the control arms.

Phill

Eh? The blue bar across the top of the pic? Hmm, I don't see a adjuster so I'll take yer word for it. But I still don't see a Watts link. I assume the two blue bars on the left are links for the watts?

And I damn near choked when I noticed the price! But the pic is deciving since it doesn't show the Watts link/linkage so it looks liker yer gettin' a set of shocks/struts, springs, trailing arms, LCA relocators, and a axle cover for 5 grand. YIKES!

I need a Coke...or ten!

Phill

The long blue bar at the top is the reinforcement bar that connects the two mounting points for the watts linkage.

this looks sick!!! anybody think this would also fit the 2013 shelby? dont see why it wouldnt

Do the base GT500's have the dual mode shocks/struts on them? If so, you'd be killing one of the main features of the 2013.

Phill

The long blue bar at the top is the reinforcement bar that connects the two mounting points for the watts linkage.

Which I might add is to aid in creating triangulation for the tower brace ( as noted in previous post ) and the floor pan - but I notice that it is mounted on the brace on the passenger side also meaning it is NOT anchored at a base point on the floor pan - I would probably recommend an additional strap be put on to prevent tearing at either the base of the watts tower or on the back of the factory brace on the pass side . JMO

Which I might add is to aid in creating triangulation for the tower brace ( as noted in previous post ) and the floor pan - but I notice that it is mounted on the brace on the passenger side also meaning it is NOT anchored at a base point on the floor pan - I would probably recommend an additional strap be put on to prevent tearing at either the base of the watts tower or on the back of the factory brace on the pass side . JMO

I'm wondering how they're mounting those rear coil-overs. The shock mounts are NOT designed to carry the load. I had a '55 Chevy with air shocks that ripped the floor pan out around both shock mounts because of that. It looks like they have included shock mounts to allow you to mount the shocks between the spring perches.

Do you know?

Phill

The coil overs are being put in the stock shock locations in the rear and I agree - they are not reinforcing the lower bracket on the axle housing like Griggs does and they are running the same upper bracket as the FR500S / FR500C and the BOSS R ( I questioned this on my own car and welded in a rear strut brace for reinforcement of the upper mount ) Especially since moving the mount position back of the axle housing ( thus changing the ratio ) they are increasing the spring rates .

Griggs has the same setup and have not heard of anything going wrong with theirs.

I'm wondering how they're mounting those rear coil-overs. The shock mounts are NOT designed to carry the load. I had a '55 Chevy with air shocks that ripped the floor pan out around both shock mounts because of that. It looks like they have included shock mounts to allow you to mount the shocks between the spring perches.

Do you know?

Phill

Good point.

Have you seen those pictures of a S197 rolling over with a roll cage and have it punched the floor because they had not welded strong reinforcement plates ?

But I think this Cortex system is in use for some time, with some heavy testing...on tracks!

Griggs also bolts the rear coil overs on that bracket although not quite the same way...they add a plate to it.

• Like 1

Griggs also bolts the rear coil overs on that bracket although not quite the same way...they add a plate to it.

I just saw a Roush Stage 3 with Roush coil-overs on it. They leave the shocks in the traditional location and have a adjustable lower spring perch so the springs still support the car where it is supposed to be supported, at the upper spring perch not at the shock towers.

Once burned twice shy,

Phill

Base GT500 does not come with the bilstein adjustables, just regular shocks (whatever brand that it) so this would be an upgrade in my case

Oh, okay. No harm then.

FWIW, I think the OEM shocks/struts are Topiko.

I know the FRPP FR3's are Topiko but I only *think* the OEM's are. Well, at least 2012 and below are.

Phill

I just saw a Roush Stage 3 with Roush coil-overs on it. They leave the shocks in the traditional location and have a adjustable lower spring perch so the springs still support the car where it is supposed to be supported, at the upper spring perch not at the shock towers.

Once burned twice shy,

Phill

Yes, like most of the coil-over for the S197 they are not real coil-over, for the rear.

They are adjustable height springs (H&R / KW / Eibach / etc...)

But those from Griggs and Cortex are (!)...but that was not meant to be when Ford designed the brackets on the 8.8...

Before anyone assumes how well the Shelby/Cortex kit is designed I suggest contacting SPP or go to the man himself and ask questions.

Filip Trojanek

Managing Partner

CorteX Racing

If I'm not mistaken Colin (I dont recall his last name) or GR40Freak who does frequent TS works for or with Cortex (and formally of Griggs, I think), hopefully he'll pipe up.

Edited by EL SHELBY

I don't think that anyone here is questioning the design. I believe that people want to understand the workings of the products before they buy . As with any performance parts as you up the strengths in some areas - other areas show their weaknesses . I applaud both Filip and Daryll in what they have come up with to offer to the general public and also to SPP for taking it to the next level in suspension products to provide to us who want to track our cars ( not everyone wants a garage queen or show car ). I mean -would you go ahead and put a 1000 HP engine in an otherwise stock GT and expect all to go well and last forever - come on now. I want to ask SPP one thing - now that you have opened the door - are you going to offer a 10.5" wide wheel to fit the 315 tires on all around that this kit allows you to do ?

Edited by Albino500

Really cool! I'd like to see someone install this system on a Shelby GT.

Already done (in CorteX script) a white one running around the SF south bay.

Sure! Just spot me the cash!

Griggs has the same setup and have not heard of anything going wrong with theirs.

Not the same - take a closer look

Not the same - take a closer look

You may be right...

But to me it's the same:

They also do link the passenger arm "ex-panhard bracket" to their welded-driver-side-bracket.

They also do not get to the chassis, elsewhere, to strengthen the watts linkage.

The difference I see is they do not use a heim joint for the brace going across.

This is more rigid but with the heim joint it is easier to adapt for some building tolerances.

What did I miss according to your observations?