jnf

Shelby oil separator

First off, china wants their wall back.

Next off, While the video is nice it isn't totally convincing. The designs are nice, but will it really make all the difference in the world? Need I post a huge explanation about organic liquids, evaporation, and the nature of gases?

Here would be a good one; a lot of the known world regards oil separators as a waste of money because they will just break. Which one is more durable? Guess we'll just wait on that one till someone can report.

What exactly is prone to break? No moving parts, machined from aluminum, stainless media. Maybe the hoses will wear out over time, but i think the separator will be there till the end.

What exactly is prone to break? No moving parts, machined from aluminum, stainless media. Maybe the hoses will wear out over time, but i think the separator will be there till the end.

I think he was referring to the plastic hose nipples on the can.

Phill

I think he was referring to the plastic hose nipples on the can.

Phill

Yes there was a problem early on with the JLT, but they've since been replaced by metal fittings.

Jer,

Like the look of the new oil separator I just wish I could see it. You may want to change your plug and play lines for the GT500.

IMAG1500_zps6aed4013.jpg

All I need now is the battery cover. I hope they are ready before the Shelby Grand Nationals. I figure it has to be good for at least another 10 to 15 HP. :hysterical2:

IMAG1501_zps8bc2c81a.jpg

Does it make any difference where you cut the line to install the oil separator?

Does it make any difference where you cut the line to install the oil separator?

I woundn't think so. I bought the plug and play lines from SA so I could go back to stock if I wanted to. The can is actually touching the bottom of the bar. I haven't driven it yet but it looks like I am going to have to cut the stock lines anyway. :(

I woundn't think so. I bought the plug and play lines from SA so I could go back to stock if I wanted to. The can is actually touching the bottom of the bar. I haven't driven it yet but it looks like I am going to have to cut the stock lines anyway. :(

Sorry about that - it is hard for us to fit every single car, but we will try to move it further rearward in the future. We don't cut them here, they are supplied to us that way. Of course, you have a full return policy on the one that did not fit.

Jer

Sorry about that - it is hard for us to fit every single car, but we will try to move it further rearward in the future. We don't cut them here, they are supplied to us that way. Of course, you have a full return policy on the one that did not fit.

Jer

Thanks Jer but I am not worried about it.

Anyone going to the Shelby Grand Nationals and wants a free plug and play line just let me know.

Mine was touching the bottom of my KR style brace as well, so I had to trim the rear L shaped piece.

Use a small screwdriver to open up the crimp connector and slide it back.

I used a heat gun to carefully soften the plastic just enough to pull fittings off of the 2 ends.

I cut 3/4" off of the end that connected to the separator, and 3/8" off the end that connected to the blower.

Heat up the short end and push onto the blower connector, did the same to the separator end and then slid the crimp connector back into place and recrimped.

Fits great now.

We had to balance the amount of folks with a strut tower brace with the fact that the separator held-in-place could not be a victim of "hose sag". So, the SA standard is to have it well-supported by its hoses.

Jer

this thread got to long to catch up on..so forgive or disregard if this has already been said...

but, the gist I get from the last few pages is: someone made a car part that does job A: someone else made a car part that also does job A but, looks and possibly design are slightly different. one of these Someones feels Someone-else's part is a copy because - perhaps it does the same job?

i am having trouble with this logic...as..if you apply this logic-net to the rest of the car industry...

isnt every suspension set up on sale today..a copy of the first set ever installed on a car.. just shaped different and maybe designed different..but, by this threads logic it would still be a copy and therefore a lesser product. i think griggs and KB & others would probably argue this logic. same hold true for the K&N company.. isnt Everything they make/sell " just a copy " - ill bet they also disagree. you can buy the same( given ) products from ford racing, k&n, or virtually any mfg or reseller out there : some perform slightly better than others, some worse...they may look better or not as good.

i think you can see the logic fails here- so ill stop. someone might want to consider the same after my next stement:

as for the contestents i have to say that SilverHorse is definitely winning the professionalism award.

• Like 1

We had to balance the amount of folks with a strut tower brace with the fact that the separator held-in-place could not be a victim of "hose sag". So, the SA standard is to have it well-supported by its hoses.

Jer

So did you try a bunch of different spots of just measure the JLT separators we sent you? B)

GregSS2022.jpg

this thread got to long to catch up on..so forgive or disregard if this has already been said...

but, the gist I get from the last few pages is: someone made a car part that does job A: someone else made a car part that also does job A but, looks and possibly design are slightly different. one of these Someones feels Someone-else's part is a copy because - perhaps it does the same job?

i am having trouble with this logic...as..if you apply this logic-net to the rest of the car industry...

isnt every suspension set up on sale today..a copy of the first set ever installed on a car.. just shaped different and maybe designed different..but, by this threads logic it would still be a copy and therefore a lesser product. i think griggs and KB & others would probably argue this logic. same hold true for the K&N company.. isnt Everything they make/sell " just a copy " - ill bet they also disagree. you can buy the same( given ) products from ford racing, k&n, or virtually any mfg or reseller out there : some perform slightly better than others, some worse...they may look better or not as good.

i think you can see the logic fails here- so ill stop. someone might want to consider the same after my next stement:

as for the contestents i have to say that SilverHorse is definitely winning the professionalism award.

I'm in the lions den telling the cubs what was done, I don't expect you all to like what I'm doing, but can someone tell me what keeping my mouth shut does?

Who benifits from me not saying anything? Not me I can tell you that.

Now, I may not get a handful of sales because I'm being vocal, but I wouldn't get them anyway do to the love of the snake logo.

What will happen is Shelby and SHR will loose tons of sales due to those who understand how it went down. Tons of people are not happy with the truth here.

Now, I think SHR and Shelby should show what testing they did to prove no filter is needed. So far we have one test showing it's worthless and an offer on the table for another test at SHR, but no real interest is doing it.

We have tons of video tests on Youtube proving our kits work and the filter is needed, where is the Shelby/SHR testing results?

I have a Shelby unit on the way so I can do my own testing, take measurements and photos. Keep an eye out for that.

Oh and Marcello, I spoke with Metco yesterday about your claims that they look alike due to machine size and materials used, he laughed and said you must have a very small machine. As I said, if "I" were to design another separator it would be totally different that any other on the market. Why? Because I wouldn't want this mess and it's just right! :salute:

Enjoy your weekend,

Jay

Shelby and SHR will loose tons of sale

Since you're trolling so will I. I better go before i loose my mind...

Ignorance is too hard to change. Let him cry and scream online, this thread has many more pages of it to go. That's game; see you in 30 pages. This guy's logic is flawed but, as is human nature, he will defend it to great lengths.

So did you try a bunch of different spots of just measure the JLT separators we sent you? B)

Well in the interest of being thorough and as honest as possible, I went back through the past two years of purchase orders and only found two instances in where JLT shipped orders to SHR instead of directly to customers (drop ship) as JLT was very good at fulfilling orders without us having to carry stock here. That said, those two were both for international orders, had more items to go out, and were both "standard GT" pieces, so we were just staging it all here before forwarding it as a single package to our customers. Both of these that I could find occurred in Jan 2012, prior to us making anything for anyone, including our own, as this project didn't start for us until ~ May of 2012. (I have no idea when Shelby first decided they were going to want these, but that's when we were brought in.)

So I'm not sure how we were supposed to measure your hose location if we never had one... granted, you could argue we ordered one through a straw purchase, but in reality that did not occur. The location was chosen because it either goes there or up next to the inlet to the supercharger because it provides the most support from the hose, and on cars without a STB (the stock configuration), it is easier to reach for maintenance given the hood and all. If you'd like to hear that yours is in a good location, I agree it is, however I did not look at one of your kits to solve the mystery of where it needed to be.

Now, I think SHR and Shelby should show what testing they did to prove no filter is needed. So far we have one test showing it's worthless and an offer on the table for another test at SHR, but no real interest is doing it.

I for the record did not say there was little interest. I said it is not a pressing concern for it to be done *tomorrow* because we're very busy with a lot of projects, and I actually was kicking around in my head a test that might be more "real world" in its approach while still being as scientific as possible. I do recall saying that Steve was welcome to come over and beer was on us win or lose.

The biggest thing though is that I have personally tested our version with no filter, and it does work, as shown in the photos from our car, which is my daily driver. We also have tested it on customer cars as well with similar results. Our 10k software package says it should work in theory, theory we backed up with real-world testing. I linked to products that we use here at our shop costing thousands of dollars that do not need a filter to do the exact same job but on a much larger scale, and they state it in their sales literature as a feature, yet you dismiss that as well.

We have tons of video tests on Youtube proving our kits work and the filter is needed, where is the Shelby/SHR testing results?

Jay, I hate to break this to you, but if my math is right (and I am pretty sure it is based on computer simulations), your unit will work pretty well without the filter, maybe just as good. So save yourself the grief and money, pull your filter out, and watch as it magically collects the oil.

Anyone who owns one of your pieces is welcome to perform the same test and provide independent results. This is because of the change in flow direction, velocity, and pressure that occurs, not because of the mesh screen. Anyway, the SHR and Shelby units are two different units so they cannot be clumped together just because we make them both (we make a lot of products for companies that we do not sell as our own). Ours accomplishes the job without using the motorcraft PCV mesh screen from the 90's, and the Shelby one uses a different mesh screen than either your version or ours as they feel it works best for them.

Here again though - you are acknowledging that our products are different than yours, yet you argue in the same breath that they were a direct copy. Either we copied the product or we did not, simply stating they perform the same function in a different way does not make it a copy.

I have a Shelby unit on the way so I can do my own testing, take measurements and photos. Keep an eye out for that.

I figured you already had one given the photos and comments you've made... I can tell you the dimensions, and I already told you why they were like that (which you commented on yet again below). The only application we found that wouldn't *have* to be that height would be 11+ 5.0 engines, because we use the 90 degree head and overhang forward of the engine, so it could be 10" tall if you wanted and still clear. But that said, in the interest of uniformity of parts, and the fact that the hose will only take so much weight, we kept it at the same height as the ones where it is critical (4.0, 4.6, 5.4 , 5.8). Now that said, once again on our unit (not the Shelby piece) when there are multiple applications, we use a combination of different head designs and fittings of various lengths and diameters to make it work as "across the board" as possible while keeping costs in check and keeping the overall height the same for packaging constraints (both underhood and in the box to get to our customers).

Oh and Marcello, I spoke with Metco yesterday about your claims that they look alike due to machine size and materials used, he laughed and said you must have a very small machine.

Yes Jay, I have a very small "machine"... :) You do realize of course that the machine in question cost ~125k and weighs 7000 pounds, and when we purchased it, the only products we were making on it were small components for other companies and our A/C knobs - so it worked just fine for that, and we have adapted it to work for other jobs since. I can chuck ~9" max, but that is not its barfeed capacity nor its "sweet spot" as far as capabilities are concerned. I've attached a couple photos of it below for reference... Good though that you asked someone who is actually involved in machining on a day-to-day basis to discuss it, and thank you for once again attempting to make it a personal insult as you have. Our biggest machine though is 15k pounds, still "small" in the manufacturing world compared to some of the equipment I've dealt with through the years. It was however the first machine we ever purchased, and it took 5 years to pay for it, but I'm sure with all you have spent on manufacturing equipment, this machine is just a drop in the bucket, right?

I've told you why our part is 2" in diameter - let's turn the tables a little bit - can you tell me why yours is not larger? What made you settle on that dimension rather than something bigger? Obviously a larger diameter could hold more volume, right? And bigger is better as you have alluded to above. Why didn't you go bigger like some of the other ones on the market that were available prior to yours??

As I said, if "I" were to design another separator it would be totally different that any other on the market. Why? Because I wouldn't want this mess and it's just right! :salute:

Maybe you should... because if you didn't like this, you will really be disappointed in what we're working on for another customer... when it comes out later this year you'll be saying, "Why didn't I think of that?" Truth is, it has been in design since late last year, so when you come back and say we did it because of all your ranting - that won't be the case, it was already in the works and just needed to be tested prior to us going to production. We have the actual receipts for the 3D prototypes to prove it and will gladly post them when the project is complete. What will you say then??

Honestly though, this is nearing the end of this thread I think. You've stated clearly that anything we say cannot be true although I have shown otherwise, and that you are so big that the small difference in sales to GT500 owners doesn't matter to you, yet it obviously does for you to spend this much time on it. You have insulted SA, SHR, and customers, yet are not bringing much to the discussion other than another company did a test and in that test beat everyone else's product, including yours. I've been very clear and forthcoming how the SHR product works without disparaging your product, and why it is the size it is. As to the visual appearance of the SA piece, that is their decision, and we make their part to their specification just like someone else does for you. If you don't like that, you need to take it up with them directly, not us.

post-40531-0-78104400-1368822076_thumb.jpg

post-40531-0-91561900-1368822496_thumb.jpg

post-40531-0-78104400-1368822076_thumb.jpg

post-40531-0-91561900-1368822496_thumb.jpg

Edited by SilverHorseRacing

Since you're trolling so will I. I better go before i loose my mind...

That there was funny! I don't care who you are, I was playing that video linked above while responding, and rolling :) La - la - la, la - la -la !!!

Edited by SilverHorseRacing
  • Like 1

Computer simulates tests? Please show us.

Well, now that I have a Shelby unit in hand I can see where you got ALL your dementions, LOL

Wow, you guys should be so proud of your work.

BTW, another test video coming soon.

481601_10151506267707155_435908909_n.jpg

481848_10151506267702155_990369594_n.jpg

943424_10151506267712155_1668954872_n.jpg

309899_10151506267762155_1361217357_n.jpg

You both should really be ashamed of yourselves, really.

It measures EXACTLY the same as the JLT unit.

Here's a screenshot of one simulation attached since you asked... there are more, but I think it shows we did our own homework.

I've explained the diameter as a function of machine capability, linking even to the machine specifications we use to make them, and the height as a function of PCV height / valve cover / hood. we've also linked to how these systems can work without filtration or with it, again dismissed.

By the way, based on the photos you've posted, it looks like you're running the head in a mill, and the can in a lathe (not the most efficient way to go), where we run completely in our lathe from the start under almost full automation. That's just what I can guess from the machining marks I can see in the pictures, not that I pay attention to things like that... :)

However, in the end, I don't think it matters. The fact that they all function differently internally does not matter to you, and the fact that ours visually looks nothing like yours or the Shelby unit does not matter to you either. I submit that no matter the piece, if it was somewhat round and trapped oil, this discussion would have gone almost identically to the way it has played out. I've answered the questions posed with specific, factual answers, ones that it seems do not meet your expectations, so unless customers have technical questions relating to the function or installation, I really don't have much more to add to the discussion at this time.

post-40531-0-11640300-1369074834_thumb.jpg

post-40531-0-11640300-1369074834_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Now THAT is results SHR. Everything you have said is spot on, not like the crap Tucker is spewing or his BS video. Excellent stuff, I love actual scientific proof.

edit: On that note, even as a spectator, I am done too. The only thing this thread has proven is Tucker is ignorant and not willing to move, such as many people are. I took a lesson though: I'm never buying a JLT.

Edited by Helix
  • Like 2

LOL, nice screen shot of a test, then why when I put the smallest amount of oil in it, it comes right out the other side? LOL

Nice try, let's see real world or take Steve up on his offer.

As to the visual appearance of the SA piece, that is their decision, and we make their part to their specification just like someone else does for you. If you don't like that, you need to take it up with them directly, not us.

Ok,

Jer why did you copy our design? Marcelloe is saying it was your doing?

Please explain why you did this to us.

I agree JLT is going overboard, but understand the frustation, none of us know exactly what happened.

Based on all the Reviews from Real people I would probably buy the Bob's anyway, but I understand JLT being upset. I planned on buying the Shelby, not sure now. I would still buy from JLT and Shelby/Silverhorse, to me both make great products.

Edited by carnut12

This whole thing is getting old now ,,

now its come to name calling ,

he said ,she said ,,

I say this with much respect toward everyone here ,

saying the same thing everyday is not going to change things ,

be the better person ,whom ever it comes to be ,

move on .

Edited by richard m.switzer

Computer simulates tests? Please show us.

Well, now that I have a Shelby unit in hand I can see where you got ALL your dementions, LOL

Wow, you guys should be so proud of your work.

BTW, another test video coming soon.

481601_10151506267707155_435908909_n.jpg

481848_10151506267702155_990369594_n.jpg

943424_10151506267712155_1668954872_n.jpg

309899_10151506267762155_1361217357_n.jpg

You both should really be ashamed of yourselves, really.

It measures EXACTLY the same as the JLT unit.

I don't know what planet you are living on but these seem very different based on the photos. Bottoms are clearly different and the facing of the threaded surfaces have different lengths too.

You are a horrible representative of your brand. If you're the owner, please shut up. If you are an employee and it were my brand and I were the owner you'd be looking for another job.

Got it?

Credibility score = 0.

Edited by twobjshelbys
  • Like 1

After about 300 miles, I got maybe a teaspoon in the CC. I check it after every long drive of 250+ miles. Glad I got it now that I see the results.

Have any of you guys with the Shelby unit logged any oil collection?

I put mine on a week ago last Friday. The next day I drove 260 miles, including some "parade laps" at a road course (several opportunities for wot on the straightaways, breaking 100mph). I estimate about half a teaspoon of oil collected. I'm very happy with my purchase and don't agree with any of Tucker's claims or tactics (been holding that in for a while...lol).

I have not been out on the road yet with mine but I can say with the JLT one after about 200 miles and some "parade laps". I hardly coated the bottom, so be interesting to see if I collect more with the Shelby. If anything I like how it looks :)

All this dispute over the design of a cylinder reminded me of this;

Last time I checked geometric shapes were not patentable so if that's all that this is about its time to move on.

Had my '09 GT500 on track over the weekend for 4, 20 minute sessions with the new SSP separator. When I got home, it was about 1/3 full. Should have taken a container to empty it after each run.

Wow, tough crowd here :)

Look, you don't have to like me or agree with me, just don't be sheep and follow the leader because they tell you something works

If you can look at two products that are exactly the same measurements and say they are different I can't help you, that's just silly.

What you can do is ask for proof a product works.

Ask Marcello to show you how it was tested and how they get the results.

Ask Jer for his testing results

Ask Shelby for results

Not just a screen shot of a computer generated graphic because that's not real world, actual results. You know, like video documentation, pictures, oil measured at set miles driven. Like we have tons of on our web site and Youtube page.

Again, you don't have to like me or how I conduct business, but when someone messes with my business you can bet I'll speak up.

I'm a small business and will fight for it and I don't understand or at least can't comprehend the idea of letting it go when someone copies your product. Doesn't makes an ounce of cense to me, sorry

Anyway, those of you looking to buy this because it has a CS or a Snake on it really should ask for proof it works.

We conducted our own personal test and am very surprised they put it on the market.

This is the second test showing the same results, I think you deserve an explanation and proof they actually tested it.

Not, "I drove xxx miles and collected a teaspoon of oil" I mean a harsh serious miles test or an extreme test like this:

Now it's long, but you really should watch the entire thing.

This test is very easy to do and easily repeated, so I suggest you check your separator for how much is getting past it, you'll be surprised.

I know many of you will not watch it and post some negative comment bashing my business, that's fine, I know were not getting an order from a few of you, but the majority who watch this will want to know why Shelby didn't just copy the entire JLT.

Marcello and Jer, the offers have been put out there, Steve offered to drive to SHR and test them head to head how ever you see fit, but you seem to be brushing that off. Your customers deserve to know how it stacks up.

Edited by Tucker