mark.barton

Wheel Center Cap Question

Does anyone out there have a solution to keep the SVT wheel caps stuck to the wheel? I just lost my second one today and I'm getting tired of them coming loose and disappearing. Would a couple of dabs of silicon keep them in place?

Mark

Does anyone out there have a solution to keep the SVT wheel caps stuck to the wheel? I just lost my second one today and I'm getting tired of them coming loose and disappearing. Would a couple of dabs of silicon keep them in place?

Mark

Yes we've used that trick on the Shelby Dodge cars. Go easy on the silicone though, you don't need much.

Steve

I never heard of this being an issue before, and have not personally experienced this with either my '08 or '12 GT500s. I have had my wheels off several times and noticed how the center caps are attached- basically with friction fitted plastic tabs. I’d say that silicone, or some other type of caulking, should work well without adversely affecting the balance… I’ve always had good luck with Dapp Kwik Seal Plus (clear) in similar applications:

post-25950-0-17207700-1346025232_thumb.jpg

post-25950-0-17207700-1346025232_thumb.jpg

wait for it......

a small bead of my ex-wife's gravy, but once stuck, it may never come off again. LMAO.gif

• Like 1

wait for it......

a small bead of my ex-wife's gravy, but once stuck, it may never come off again. LMAO.gif

That's just wrong.............but funny.........

I never heard of this being an issue before, and have not personally experienced this with either my '08 or '12 GT500s. I have had my wheels off several times and noticed how the center caps are attached- basically with friction fitted plastic tabs. I’d say that silicone, or some other type of caulking, should work well without adversely affecting the balance… I’ve always had good luck with Dapp Kwik Seal Plus (clear) in similar applications:

I think the problem is heat. I track my car and I think the brake heat coupled with a little bit of age on the plastics makes the tabs brittle. Both of the center caps I have lost have come from the front wheels, one right front and one left front.

Mark

I think the problem is heat. I track my car and I think the brake heat coupled with a little bit of age on the plastics makes the tabs brittle. Both of the center caps I have lost have come from the front wheels, one right front and one left front.

Mark

Makes sense... maybe silicon will be your best bet. Not sure of the heat rating, but you should be able to find the spec somewhere.

Makes sense... maybe silicon will be your best bet. Not sure of the heat rating, but you should be able to find the spec somewhere.

That's what I was thinking. Get myself some high temp silicon and use in in a couple of small spots on the front wheels only.

Mark

Silicon will do the trick but if you continue to track your car they will just melt the plastic, buddy of mine meted all of his, he now removes them when on the track.

wait for it......

I had the same luck with my dads biscuits and gravy....you could spackle the holes in the wall and paint an hour later. :hysterical:

Silicon will do the trick but if you continue to track your car they will just melt the plastic, buddy of mine meted all of his, he now removes them when on the track.

This really is not a bad idea. I assume you just use something like a screw driver to pop them out? I have always removed them from the backside when I have the wheels off, but I've never tried it with the wheels attached to the car.

Mark