07SGT5687

Final Attempt to stop belt shredding... Whipple Owners, help?

Giys,

I have been considering a GT/SC and now I really have to wonder if I shouldn't go the GT route w/o the supercharger. I was assured by Shelby the problem has been fixed, but after reading these posts, I wonder.

Can anyone share any insight ?

What problem...and what did "Shelby" tell you regarding the fix? The issue with the belt slipping off or shredding was a problem, but many of us took the time and effort to correct the problem and enjoy the supercharger package for its full potential. I have not had one problem with my supercharger since I installed the 100mm flanged idler pulley. It was a simple fix. While Whipple denied (to me at least) that this was a major issue, the shredding of the belts occurred way too often to be coincidental to a few of us here on the forum.

I'll repeat here, what I discussed with Switchblade in a phone conversation a couple weeks ago regarding the fan belt shredding. Based on my personal observation of the belt routing design used by Whipple, I believe there is too much distance between the driver's side idler pulley (100mm idler pulley) and the snout pulley on the supercharger. This can lead to excessive flex in the belt under load. I've seen it, and when this occurs, the belt moves around on this 100mm idler pulley and sometimes walks off the back of this pulley causing it to shred. What Whipple should do, or should have done, is add another idler pulley between these two points - specifically where the Whipple tensioner adjustment is located. If another idler pulley was located there, it would help with the flexing under load and keep the belt from moving on the 100mm idler.

In a nutshell, the problem is corrected, the flanged 100mm pulley works. As Switchblade mentioned, there is also a spacer available from Whipple that can be placed behind the snout pulley which will alleviate any alignment issues.

The Shelby GT is a blast to drive once it receives the Whipple conversion and I wouldn't let the issue of a minor modification that would provide hours and hours of pavement pounding performance hinder my decision to upgrade to the GT/SC package. It has been almost five years since I had these pulleys made, and personally, mine works great, looks great, and has never failed me once. I say go for it, you won't regret it.

Below is a photo of the the location where I believe an additional idler pulley should have been added which would have helped alleviate the problem of the belts walking off the 100mm idler pulley.

post-26281-0-51122300-1439183398_thumb.jpg

Edited by springer

Is this idler pulley smooth or does it have grooves in it to fit the ribs on the belt. I have a pulley on the drivers side that is grooved to fit the belts and think this is the one you are talking about. I have the thumper tension arm on the passenger side and I think the grooved pulley was bought several years ago from Peter, but I'm not sure.I've had my belt on my car since the s/c was installed April 2010, and I,ve put about 8,000 miles on it since. I,ve never had any issures with my belt so I think everything is correct.Thanks

Edited by shelbytexan

The Thump RRR 100mm idler pulley is smooth without any ribs. If you read this complete thread, in particular, the posts I made, there are links to my other thread with photos of the pulleys, both installed and before installation, as well as comparisons between the 100mm Thump RRR idler pulley (with flanges on both sides) and the stock 100mm Whipple idler pulley which is not flanged.

Photo of 100mm Thump RRR idler pulley attached below.

post-26281-0-13543200-1439183680_thumb.jpg

Edited by springer

Thanks, I just did look at your photos and now see which pulley you are talking about. My car doesn't have the flanged idler pulley you are talking about but I still have all 6 ribs on the belt after 8,000 miles and the belt still looks good so I guess I will leave well enough alone. Thanks.

The person at Shelby that I been in conversation with, said better idlers and tensioners have soloved this "problem".

I was planning to drive this beast back from Las Vegas when I pick it up, and it would be embarrassing to break down on rhe way back. (iN ADDITION,i WOULD BE VERY PISSED OFF !! )

SInce several of you have the superchared version, are there any other issues I should be made aware of ?

Thanks for your input

Yes I know the rules !! Post pictures when available !! LOL

The person at Shelby that I been in conversation with, said better idlers and tensioners have soloved this "problem".

I was planning to drive this beast back from Las Vegas when I pick it up, and it would be embarrassing to break down on rhe way back. (iN ADDITION,i WOULD BE VERY PISSED OFF !! )

SInce several of you have the superchared version, are there any other issues I should be made aware of ?

Thanks for your input

No problems here, 8 trouble free years (Knock on wood).

nice car carnut12! Which headers did you go with, and cats or no cats with that dyno? I have a 08 and I'm about to get my custom tune. :)

Any crank issues running the 10 rib kit?

Thanks for your input

I've had mine for 5 years and driven it 8,000 miles with no issures. I installed the thumper tensioner arm on mine and the belt has given me no problems. My only problem is I have a bad wheel slip in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear which I didn't have before the supercharger. You reckon the 501 rwhp could be the problem 'lol'. You want regret it.

I have over 37k miles since my Whipple install. I've had no problems with belts at all. I've gone 170 at the Terlingua high speed run, made several 1/4 miles passes including 7 this weekend at the NorCal Mini Nats. When the supercharger is installed right, which includes checking the alignment of all the pullies, you should have no problems.

Dan

Go with the Kenne Bell, no issues with the belts! And No need to buy aftermarket pulleys. Glad I never had to deal with it, as it would have surely frustrated me after spending that kind of coin.

Edited by MyBlueHeaven

Giys,

I have been considering a GT/SC and now I really have to wonder if I shouldn't go the GT route w/o the supercharger. I was assured by Shelby the problem has been fixed, but after reading these posts, I wonder.

Can anyone share any insight ?

GO FOR IT!!!

What problem...and what did "Shelby" tell you regarding the fix? The issue with the belt slipping off or shredding was a problem, but many of us took the time and effort to correct the problem and enjoy the supercharger package for its full potential. I have not had one problem with my supercharger since I installed the 100mm flanged idler pulley. It was a simple fix. While Whipple denied (to me at least) that this was a major issue, the shredding of the belts occurred way too often to be coincidental to a few of us here on the forum.

I'll repeat here, what I discussed with Switchblade in a phone conversation a couple weeks ago regarding the fan belt shredding. Based on my personal observation of the belt routing design used by Whipple, I believe there is too much distance between the driver's side idler pulley (100mm idler pulley) and the snout pulley on the supercharger. I agree.... I have seen the belt "flap" under load. This can lead to excessive flex in the belt under load. I've seen it, and when this occurs, the belt moves around on this 100mm idler pulley and sometimes walks off the back of this pulley causing it to shred. What Whipple should do, or should have done, is add another idler pulley between these two points - specifically where the Whipple tensioner adjustment is located. If another idler pulley was located there, it would help with the flexing under load and keep the belt from moving on the 100mm idler.

In a nutshell, the problem is corrected, the flanged 100mm pulley works. As Switchblade mentioned, there is also a spacer available from Whipple that can be placed behind the snout pulley which will alleviate any alignment issues.

The Shelby GT is a blast to drive once it receives the Whipple conversion and I wouldn't let the issue of a minor modification that would provide hours and hours of pavement pounding performance hinder my decision to upgrade to the GT/SC package. Abso-freakin-lutly!!! It has been almost five years since I had these pulleys made, and personally, mine works great, looks great, and has never failed me once. I say go for it, you won't regret it.

Below is a photo of the the location where I believe an additional idler pulley should have been added which would have helped alleviate the problem of the belts walking off the 100mm idler pulley.

I also agree with ShelbyTexan.... the wheel spin after the SC install is horrendous!!! :hysterical:

I solved the belt problem another way, but that's a whole different story!!!

post-25056-0-23604600-1439292450_thumb.jpg

The mechanicals and capability of the Whipple superchargers are far superior to the Kenne Bell supercharger, that's why the greatest percentage of GT/SCs have the Whipple. There is a thread on here somewhere with a very detailed comparison of the two superchargers and it was pretty clear to me which one I was going with for my conversion. The greatest percentage of GT/SCs run the Whipple.

The mechanicals and capability of the Whipple superchargers are far superior to the Kenne Bell supercharger, that's why the greatest percentage of GT/SCs have the Whipple. There is a thread on here somewhere with a very detailed comparison of the two superchargers and it was pretty clear to me which one I was going with for my conversion. The greatest percentage of GT/SCs run the Whipple.

So because the 100+ GT/SC owners feel they are superior, that must make it a fact then, please! I'm in no way saying, or did I say one S/C is better than the other. I've read every thread about the KB and whipple sc's on this site and a lot form other sites and all that stuff was years and years ago that the KB had issues. I spent a lot of time researching before I decided and installed mine. This belt issue is still going on, and the manufacturer wouldn't even admit that it was a problem. That's top notch customer service for a $7500 sc.

I did suggest an alternative in the event that this belt alignment issue scares the poster that questioned it, KB SC's don't have these issues. My apologies to any whipple owners, who might have taken offense to my post. Apparently I ruffled some feathers.

And just my opinion after reading/researching posts about what and why each person went with their choice of sc, but I would say the reason that most GTSC owners went with the whipple is because they wanted to stay true to ford racing.

I don't think the belt is that big of an issue. As I stated earlier, all I did was install an thumper tentioner arm on mine and I have had no issues. Others have installed a flanged idler pulley along with the tentioner arm . This is about a 30 minute job at best . The belt issue is a very small problem that can be fixed inexpensively and quickly. I think Shelby is installing a heavier tentioner arm on there conversions now so you might not have to do anything. There is no bad choice with which supercharger you go with. It's just a matter of preference. Good-Luck.

So because the 100+ GT/SC owners feel they are superior, that must make it a fact then, please! I'm in no way saying, or did I say one S/C is better than the other. I've read every thread about the KB and whipple sc's on this site and a lot form other sites and all that stuff was years and years ago that the KB had issues. I spent a lot of time researching before I decided and installed mine. This belt issue is still going on, and the manufacturer wouldn't even admit that it was a problem. That's top notch customer service for a $7500 sc.

I did suggest an alternative in the event that this belt alignment issue scares the poster that questioned it, KB SC's don't have these issues. My apologies to any whipple owners, who might have taken offense to my post. Apparently I ruffled some feathers.

And just my opinion after reading/researching posts about what and why each person went with their choice of sc, but I would say the reason that most GTSC owners went with the whipple is because they wanted to stay true to ford racing.

Totally disagree. Search the forum. Not even close comparisons. If the Whipple was inferior, I'd have definitely gone with the Kenne Bell. I knew absolutely nothing about either supercharger and did plenty of research. Frankly, I'd never even heard of Whipple before purchasing my Shelby GT since I was more of a vintage Shelby guy. I went with the best performance option that was offered for the GT/SC and knew there were options available to remedy the belt issues when installing the Whipple.

The heritage guys went with the Paxton...sorry. Below are some photos from a document that I kept all these years comparing the two superchargers. The Whipple appears clearly superior in my opinion...sorry. And yes, the Whipple staff are not on the top of their game as I mentioned in another post.

post-26281-0-09029500-1439353166_thumb.jpgpost-26281-0-22388800-1439353160_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-57917000-1439353199_thumb.jpgpost-26281-0-08561000-1439353210_thumb.jpgpost-26281-0-86318400-1439353218_thumb.jpgpost-26281-0-39191500-1439353231_thumb.jpg

Edited by springer

Totally disagree. Search the forum. Not even close comparisons. If the Whipple was inferior, I'd have definitely gone with the Kenne Bell. I knew absolutely nothing about either supercharger and did plenty of research. Frankly, I'd never even heard of Whipple before purchasing my Shelby GT since I was more of a vintage Shelby guy. I went with the best performance option that was offered for the GT/SC and knew there were options available to remedy the belt issues when installing the Whipple.

The heritage guys went with the Paxton...sorry. Below are some photos from a document that I kept all these years comparing the two superchargers. The Whipple appears clearly superior in my opinion...sorry. And yes, the Whipple staff are not on the top of their game as I mentioned in another post.

attachicon.gif2.JPGattachicon.gif1.JPG

attachicon.gif3.JPGattachicon.gif4.JPGattachicon.gif5.JPGattachicon.gif6.JPG

Look Springer,

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you over which is better, I did search the forum, (thought I stated that in my previous post) They're all old posts comparing them, yours and most of the GTSC upgrades were purchased years ago when the cars were either new and or close to it (that doesn't mean they haven't happened since then). The KB sc did have issues back then I'm not denying that, not the same anymore. Your pics are all old and out of date. I don't have a stock air box or a square filter as shown in your pics, that's the California kit, and is required to be used by that state for emissions, nor do I have a diablo mafia signal extender. The heat exchanger is not the one that comes with the kit anymore either. The boost a pump has changed as well, like I said, all out of date and have changed since. If Kenne Bell sc's are so inferior why does Shelby use them on the Super Snakes and the Shelby 1000? Certainly not for their lack of power.

Before you go spewing out there that you and 100 other GTSC owners are the end all authority of which is better I would suggest updating your research, KB has come a long way since your install.

As far as the heritage guys go, lol, yeah all five guys got the Paxton. Read more posts, you'll see the "I went or am going with the whipple because its a ford racing product more often than not.

And again my suggestion wasn't to call one better than the other as you so pointed out, it was merely to say that there are other options for the GTSC upgrade, and you don't have to worry about belt issues like the whipple has with the KB. I don't think it's right to have to worry about that kind of thing after spending that kind of money. Regardless of the cost or time spent to correct the issue, you had to do it yourself, and some didn't figure it out as quickly as you. That can be extremely frustrating to someone who just spent 12-15k on a GTSC upgrade, has these issues, and is now nowhere close to SAI or one of it's authorized mod shops to trouble shoot/fix for you, they shouldn't have to.

Bottom line is they are both great, sc's and both make a lot of power.

Look Springer,

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you over which is better, I did search the forum, (thought I stated that in my previous post) They're all old posts comparing them, yours and most of the GTSC upgrades were purchased years ago when the cars were either new and or close to it (that doesn't mean they haven't happened since then). The KB sc did have issues back then I'm not denying that, not the same anymore. Your pics are all old and out of date. I don't have a stock air box or a square filter as shown in your pics, that's the California kit, and is required to be used by that state for emissions, nor do I have a diablo mafia signal extender. The heat exchanger is not the one that comes with the kit anymore either. The boost a pump has changed as well, like I said, all out of date and have changed since. If Kenne Bell sc's are so inferior why does Shelby use them on the Super Snakes and the Shelby 1000? Certainly not for their lack of power.

Before you go spewing out there that you and 100 other GTSC owners are the end all authority of which is better I would suggest updating your research, KB has come a long way since your install.

As far as the heritage guys go, lol, yeah all five guys got the Paxton. Read more posts, you'll see the "I went or am going with the whipple because its a ford racing product more often than not.

And again my suggestion wasn't to call one better than the other as you so pointed out, it was merely to say that there are other options for the GTSC upgrade, and you don't have to worry about belt issues like the whipple has with the KB. I don't think it's right to have to worry about that kind of thing after spending that kind of money. Regardless of the cost or time spent to correct the issue, you had to do it yourself, and some didn't figure it out as quickly as you. That can be extremely frustrating to someone who just spent 12-15k on a GTSC upgrade, has these issues, and is now nowhere close to SAI or one of it's authorized mod shops to trouble shoot/fix for you, they shouldn't have to.

Bottom line is they are both great, sc's and both make a lot of power.

Thanks for all your concerns and expert advice. I'm happy to hear Kenne Bell has fixed or re-engineered the inadequacies with their supercharger. Yes the post comparing the blowers are years old, but then again, years ago was when we were all buying them.

Time to move on.

Thanks for all your concerns and expert advice. I'm happy to hear Kenne Bell has fixed or re-engineered the inadequacies with their supercharger. Yes the post comparing the blowers are years old, but then again, years ago was when we were all buying them.

Time to move on.

Yes it is time to move on. I'm now waiting for the replacement 100 mm idler pulley. I did install a new 124.7" belt the other day.

It's your!.

Ok order is full - and I will let everyone know once they are here and ready to ship to you.

1. me

2. springer - spare

3. astroDan

4. astroDan - 2nd one for spare

5. slygray1

Hey guys - Got an email from Peter today saying he is expecting to ship our pulleys to me on Friday, so I should have them by mid to late next week. I'll PM each of you once I have them to complete the transaction and ship to you.

Hey guys - Got an email from Peter today saying he is expecting to ship our pulleys to me on Friday, so I should have them by mid to late next week. I'll PM each of you once I have them to complete the transaction and ship to you.

Guys - our pulleys arrived today - :) I will PM each of you for payment and shipping address.

@ springer - I'm unable to send you a PM.

Your pulley is ready to ship.

You can send me an email with your complete shipping address. I'm planning to use UPS, so tell me if you want ground, or 2 day, etc. I will create the label and then be able to tell you how much your shipping cost are. You will then send payment via PayPal. Once payment is received, I'll ship.

Cost is $200. plus shipping.

1. me

2. springer - spare

3. astroDan

4. astroDan - 2nd one for spare

5. slygray1

Hello guys - so everyone has now received your pulleys and I hope you are happy with them. I installed mine and it is very good, looks great too. Slygray1 discovered for his car he needed a longer bolt. I had the same issue. We both used M8-1.25mm x 35mm with matching washer. My belt is ridding perfect on the new flanged pulley, with about 1/8" space between the inside edge of the belt and the flange on the new pulley. Keep in in mind that I have a 1/8" SC pulley spacer. Everything is lined up and I now have the extra protection of the flanged pulley.

Special thanks to springer for helping me with getting the details needed so I could place the order. Also thanks to Peter at Thump Racing! I'm going to buy his tensioner next.

IMG 1207

IMG 1210

Cheers

I will also be ordering a 1/8" s/c pulley spacer. I like the spacing Switchblade has on his pulley. Mine is right to the flange. Thanks to all for the info. What a great forum.

Hello guys - so everyone has now received your pulleys and I hope you are happy with them. I installed mine and it is very good, looks great too. Slygray1 discovered for his car he needed a longer bolt. I had the same issue. We both used M8-1.25mm x 35mm with matching washer. My belt is ridding perfect on the new flanged pulley, with about 1/8" space between the inside edge of the belt and the flange on the new pulley. Keep in in mind that I have a 1/8" SC pulley spacer. Everything is lined up and I now have the extra protection of the flanged pulley.

Special thanks to springer for helping me with getting the details needed so I could place the order. Also thanks to Peter at Thump Racing! I'm going to buy his tensioner next.

Cheers

Glad I could help out. Hope everyone is happy with the outcome once installed. Mine has worked out great.