Husky44

Hacking Ford Sync

I assume Mods and Tech is the right place for this...

I am aware of Lock Pick, but am looking for something more.

Our Sync systems are running on a MS OS; surely there's someone out there who has hacked this system, or can hack it. I would think there's enough interest among just us Shelby owners to make it a commercially viable option; from the quick Bing search i did, I see lots of other Ford forums where similar interest exists.

I, for one, would be interested in

• being able to defeat some of the function restrictions while driving, a la Lock Pick,
  • Editing the script on my Cobra welcome photo (personal greeting, anyone?)
  • activate my backup camera functionality without losing the Cobra welcome
  • change the voice of the "lady inside my dash"
  • shut off the "Sync has connected to your phone, and is reminding you that 911 assist is set to off" message EVERY TIME I START THE CAR
  • others that I haven't even thought of yet.

Anyone know any geeks who could take a run at this?

• Like 1

Maybe you should have purchased a older one, my 2007 can't talk or see, problem solved! She is a prefect girl! (sorry ladies, just joking) Good luck, I'm sure it can be done!

Maybe you should have purchased a older one, my 2007 can't talk or see, problem solved! She is a prefect girl! (sorry ladies, just joking) Good luck, I'm sure it can be done!

Good point! Add one more bullet to my list:

I want the "lady inside my dash" to recognize and comply with the voice command: "Sync, make me a sammich."

Edited by Husky44
  • Like 1

I'd love for there to be a way to put full-on sync in my '08. But everything I have seen is just "kinda" right, with "some" functionality :shrug:

I sort of hacked my 2011 Shelby to activate the camera function. There is a tradeoff however. My car boots up with the Mustang logo instead of the Cobra. I basically found a Mustang GT with all the same upgrades as mine + backup camera (nav etc) and then had the technician at Ford reprogram the navigation with the VIN of that mustang, tricking it into thinking it was a mustang. It worked and it activated the camera. I then installed the camera and connected it to the nav system using the lockpick cable (like 30 bucks or something). Food for thought. I've been looking at ways to hack the logo back but have been unsuccessful.

Update: I went back and found my original post....September 2010!

It's a pretty simple process. You don't need to unplug or remove anything to reprogram the head-unit. (You WILL need to remove the head unit eventually to install the patch-cable to allow the video line-in feed however) I had to find a 5.0 mustang with all the same options as my car + the rear camera. I got the VIN for that car. You take your GT500 to the SVT dealer and have them reprogram the ACM with the VIN from the mustang and it will activate the camera. They will connect their OASIS system to the car underneath the steering wheel. They will have to enter the VIN into their system to get the As-Built-Data which they will then have to enter into the gt500 manually (a pain). If you have a 2010 or 2011 GT500, this vin should work: 1ZVBP8CF4B5108689.

There is one side effect that I haven't been able to get rid of... the car boots with the Mustang logo on the screen instead of the Cobra. That lasts for about 3 seconds and then it goes away so it doesnt even bother me anymore. When you take it to have the process done at the dealer...the tech will look at you funny when you give him the instructions and will tell you it wont work. It will. The only way you will know it worked when you leave the dealership is that when you put the car into reverse, the screen will go black (if you don't have the camera already installed). If it doesn't go black it means that the Head-Unit is not accepting the video feed. If it goes black..it is accepting the video feed for a camera that doesn't exist (yet).

Edited by Mulanzo

Mulanzo: I had read your original thread. That's what got me to thinking about the full-on hack. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up my snake log-on to have the other functionality. I would think if we could get the right geek engaged, we could have our snake and rear-view too!

The Sync system is a pain to change as it's developed on a proprietary piece of hardware. However, I just started working with a guy who used to work for MS on the MS Automotive/Sync platform. I have an email out to him asking how one goes about hacking this thing. I'll let you know what he says.

• Like 1

The Sync system is a pain to change as it's developed on a proprietary piece of hardware. However, I just started working with a guy who used to work for MS on the MS Automotive/Sync platform. I have an email out to him asking how one goes about hacking this thing. I'll let you know what he says.

Awesome!!! I was just about to give up and order the lock pick, but driving season is down to it's final days before I have to put it away for the season, so I'll hold out. Let me know if I can help any!

Well, I'm sorry to report that my colleague says this is a no go. He writes: "Ford had announced an SDK, but it doesn't look like anything came of it. Ford's website talks about deploying mobile apps to the platform, but the app has to be commercially available." So it seems the SDK is needed for "tweaks". I wonder if commercially available apps (such as lockpick) are privy to the SDK?

Grrr. I found info about the SDK, but that seemed to be more about developing apps to operate within the Sync environment, rather than being able to play around in the existing software.

I guess I'm going to go ahead and order the lockpick and be done with it. Would rather have spent that money toward developing additional functionality, like some of the setup modes I've read about (no first-hand experience yet).

Count me In!!! I'd love to see apps developed like the ones available for the 2013, only instead of running in a space between the guages, have the apps be hosted on the NAV screen.

Currently working this idea on my own.

I've almost got the navi to load up in a VM. Very close...

Already put the Euro maps in the factory system, this can't be much harder.

YES!

OK, couldn't figure out why you were wanting to load Euro maps, then saw your location... Then saw your vehicle list. PLEASE tell me you're driving that F250 in the UK! That's awesome! Of course, any of those vehicles would be great there.

My company is HQ in the UK, so I've made several trips over (it's been about 2 years though). Always wished I could have one of my cars over there on those trips. My winter driver (05 Excursion V10) wows my UK brethren when they come to visit. Can't imagine the response to a PSD over there.

Keep me posted on the sync hack, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Definitely the KING of the road over here in the truck.

I could only bring 2 cars with me, so it's the Shelby and the 250.

It's a PITA traveling across the channel in the truck - the only real drawback to having it, besides finding a damn parking spot/structure I can fit in.

Hey Squidly, could you share how you changed the maps? I need the Australasian (New Zealand) map for my 2011.

Edited by Fawls

It's going to be a tough venture. I don't know to many hackers out there willing to possibly destroy the computer in their new car by testing new code. I think you are going to see more tweaks for apps that will interface with sync and your mobile phone

Hi guys !

I'm a little french guy , just registered to the forum. I'm in the process of importing a 2014 GT500 SS in France. I ordered a fully optionned GT500 including Navi.

For godsake , how did you do that !??!

Thanks.

Edited by 3nder

I could help you all. I have been trying to load the factory OS from an Ipad which could be tethered to your Iphone. If you're looking for something like this. I could use some help.

Damn Husky, those wheels look awful familiar on the 67.

I assume Mods and Tech is the right place for this...

I am aware of Lock Pick, but am looking for something more.

Our Sync systems are running on a MS OS; surely there's someone out there who has hacked this system, or can hack it. I would think there's enough interest among just us Shelby owners to make it a commercially viable option; from the quick Bing search i did, I see lots of other Ford forums where similar interest exists.

I, for one, would be interested in

• being able to defeat some of the function restrictions while driving, a la Lock Pick,
  • Editing the script on my Cobra welcome photo (personal greeting, anyone?)
  • activate my backup camera functionality without losing the Cobra welcome
  • change the voice of the "lady inside my dash"
  • shut off the "Sync has connected to your phone, and is reminding you that 911 assist is set to off" message EVERY TIME I START THE CAR
  • others that I haven't even thought of yet.

Anyone know any geeks who could take a run at this?

Damn Husky, those wheels look awful familiar on the 67.

Hey Mike! Long time-no see! Yep, those are your old wheels. 67 work went dormant for a couple of years while I went to Grad School. Been back at it now for a few months. It might be ready to start in the next month or so. I assume that's your car in the Avatar? SWEET! We'll have to get together sometime once breakup is over. I've had my Shelby out a few times this spring, but this latest snow storm is going to delay regular driving a little while longer. Edited by Husky44

I think we're done with the white stuff now! I purchased the '10 from a buddy up Eagle River Rd last year. I'm sure you have seen it. I'll be at the Eagle River car show coming up. I can't wait to drive both cars. I just did the 4 wheel Vintage Venom conversion on the 68. If you need any help with the vert let me know.

Hi,

Did anyone ever find out how to hack or at least modify the Sync.

I'm in Australia and was very interested in the Euro maps idea.

I need maps for australia. Can some post the procdure ?

also need the DVD region changed.

Discovering my 2012 Shelby GT500.

All the best.

• Like 1

Can you please let me know how you have do this with the Euro maps.

I think "Squidly" has left the building and is not interested in helping anyone with their map updates / changes.