gotoatz

Personal Experience with Auto Carriers??

Greetings All,

I am looking for personal experiences and hopefully recommendations from past customers on enclosed auto carriers. When I bought our Shelby a week ago, I would have never imagined the biggest stumble would be getting the car transported. And while I certainly understand that it could take awhile to schedule the pick up, I really did not figure it to be 2 to 3 weeks. I went with a reported very reputable company that is endorsed by celebrity collectors....I won't give names at this point. The dealer I bought from is getting a bit edgy with storing the car, and I personally am very antsy to get her home....

The move is from Ohio to California. I have not yet paid for the move, and if I locate someone that is reputable, and can get her picked up sooner, I will change carriers no problem. Gotta be enclosed move. The company checked out very well on transportreviews.com

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

The big question is did you call an actual carrier or did you contact a "broker" who acts as a middleman between you and the carrier. I suspect you may be dealing with a broker. Transport reviews is a very good start.

Steve

Thanks Steve

No, it is not a broker. It is the actual carrier, no broker, no delivery to a depot. The vehicle that picks up, delivers. No payment until the car comes off the carrier.......Door to Door.....

Thx,

Mike

Ive used Plycar here recently to transport a Vette from Ohio to Texas and was very pleased with their service.

Edited by robstang

Thank you for the recommendations. Those listed above that I have not had send a quote, I have now submitted.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Thank you for the recommendations. Those listed above that I have not had send a quote, I have now submitted.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

There is another thread, possibly on a different site, that talks about a guys nightmare with a transport company. He didnt list the name due to litigation.

Story was that his new GT500 arrived damaged. The shipping company said damage was there prior to shipping, which we all know is BS. Their "preinspection sheet" was falsified.

The guy had the smarts to photograph every part of the car before it left to the transporter which proves the shipping company damaged the car. Just an FYI...Photograph the car!

Good Tip. I have already arranged for the dealer to take photos while loading, for this very reason!!

Thank you,

Mike

Good Tip. I have already arranged for the dealer to take photos while loading, for this very reason!!

Thank you,

Mike

The front splitter was the most damaged due to using short ramps. Best of luck. A nice long road trip sounds better to me.

We just used http://www.intercitylines.com/ to ship our 2012 GT350 from RI to Portland OR and they did a very good job. Took two weeks though. We had a Saleen shipped to us a few years ago by a local CA guy who did a wonderful job. He is a smaller one man company who only moves one-two cars at a time- enclosed of course. Not sure he would come to Ohio, but you could check. He was very careful with our car.

LOUIS' CLASSIC & SPECIALITY AUTO TRANSPORT

31025 PALM AVE

NUEVO, CA 92567

Louis' Classic & Speciality Auto Transport is Carrier phone.gif310-963-0454

Thanks, Sandy

Ive used Plycar here recently to transport a Vette from Ohio to Texas and was very pleased with their service.

I have used Plycar twice and was very pleased. NJ to Vegas for my 40th and Vagas to NJ after last years Bash.

Man i wish i was a little slower at work I'd do it for you for diesel and expenses

Good luck sir.

Thank you,

Mike

Have them take detailed, up close pics of EVERYTHING.

I *think* it was Alex Mackenzie (Mackenzie Mutangs) that had a Red 'Vert transported for him. He never noticed it until he posted pics of it and a TS member asked him why the stripes on the front facia lip (between the hood and grille) were missing.

He got photo's of the car being loaded and they clearly showed the stripes intact.

The photo's of the car being unloaded showed them missing.

The carrier denied any culpability but pictures don't lie!

I'm not sure what the outcome was and only Alex can say for sure.

Point is, take pics of EVERYTHING (little things that you'd never suspect).

Phill

Thank you everyone for the sound advice and suggestions. I have gotten additional quotes from many of the suggestions. It would appear that virtually everyone quotes the same time frame, being from 7 to 14 days from acceptance of quote, to pick up of the vehicle. It would appear now that my original carrier may pick up this Saturday and get under way.

Perhaps having never transported before, my expectations were out of line. Or, perhaps I am just like an anxious school boy that cannot wait for my long time bucket list car to get here....... :drool: :drool:

Thanks again,

Mike

I drove mine from Missouri to California last year in April. Arrange for 3M front cover to be applied and drive it. You'll spend less money and have a great time breaking it in. As Carroll would say, these cars are meant to drive.

I just used AA-Auto Transport and had a negative experience and would not recommend this company to anyone

Timberwolf Transport out of Ft. Wayne, IN has done a good job for us in the past.