• Announcements

• Staff

ABOUT TEAM SHELBY   01/01/2007

Member Benefits:   First, there's the Team Shelby swag. No other club packs your membership kit with more than Team Shelby! Whether you are a renewing member or new to the “family” of Shelby enthusiast worldwide, our goal is to help you enjoy a high-octane lifestyle!   From a Unique Membership Card, Shelby Annual Magazine, Team Shelby Hat, Collector Coin, Team Shelby T-Shirt, Windshield Cling, Team Shelby License Plate Frame, Lapel Pin and Magnet, the contents of your Team Shelby Membership Kit more than pay for your membership alone!   In addition, your membership includes:   Exclusive Access to Team Shelby Member Forums.   10% discounts at Carroll Shelby's Stores in Las Vegas and Los Angeles.   Driving Experiences.   Invitations to Exclusive Team Shelby Member Events.   Insider information from Shelby American.   Affiliate Partner Discounts.   Updated February 16, 2017. Team Shelby Club 2018 Team Shelby Membership Kit Please note that membership contents are subject to change.   Team Shelby was designed and engineered by real enthusiasts inside and out of Shelby.   Team Shelby was originally formed in 2008 by Carroll Shelby. He wanted to create a club for people to truly enjoy their cars. He knew the world had changed, and he wanted his companies to meet the needs of the new generation of Shelby owners. His vision was to knit together those people with the owners of early Shelby's and give everyone fun new ways to experience their high performance vehicles.   Mr. Shelby imagined a place where owners could talk about their latest conquests at the track, swap stories, share photos and learn new ways to hot rod their cars! He wanted to link all of the enthusiasts into one "dream garage"... thus, Team Shelby was born!   Team Shelby has many free, open access forums, news sections and member only areas dedicated to the community.   In addition, Team Shelby has a full series of events for 2018, which include VIP Experiences, track days, National & Regional gatherings, cruises, car shows and more! Ownership of a Shelby is not required to be a member. The club is dedicated to serving all Shelby enthusiasts past and present including those that own cars built in the 1960's and Shelby Dodges too! Carroll Shelby (Team Shelby Member #001) said: "We built Team Shelby for anyone who is passionate about Shelby cars! We’ll have a blast and we'll do it the Shelby way!   Yearly Membership Rates   U.S. $49.99 | Canada & Mexico $59.99 | E.U., others $65.99   Join the Team Shelby Club   click here to choose a Team Shelby Club subscription package.   Membership Kit Arrival   Your Team Shelby Club membership kit and I.D.card will generally arrive within 6-8 weeks.   Need Help?   Email Brianna:  e-mail her here.
    • ForumAdmin

Having Problems Logging In To Team Shelby ?   02/12/2018

If you are having a problem logging in to Team Shelby since the software change made last December/January please send an email to bfawn@shelby.com  Please include your real name and Team Shelby user id in this email so that we may look into what the problem might be. Thank you.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions regarding quality replacement alternators?

Mine went south last week, and nearly left me stranded...ran a few miles on the battery and got me home. Now I'm looking for a quality replacement alternator that can meet my electrical needs, and might last a little bit longer than 11,000 miles.

I have looked at PA Performance alternators as one option, but the warranty exclusions are frightful.

I really hope to take the car on a road trip, and would spend the money now to have peace of mind that I won't get stuck somewhere along the way with a dead battery.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

not sure if you know about the shelby replacement. they do offer a heavy duty 200amp version. just a thought and i dont speak from experience though. good luck.http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT500-Alteranator-p/s7m-10300.htm

http://www.nationsstalternator.com/

14.4 volts running out put at 260 amps. They also have lesser amp alts as well. I have a very high amp requirement car with tons of extra electronics and the 260 amp alt gives me wiggle room.

I also have a 1600 cold cranking military grade battery that pegs the meter (2300 amps) when testing cold cranking amps. My car (not running) can drain a battery down to 11.4 volts at a car show, the battery will start the car and the alt will bring the battery back to 14.4 volts in 10 to 20 miles of driving.

They use factory housing to built one heck of a alt, so they installs and fits like stock. the only difference is the post (GT500 260amp alt) is larger and requires you to open the stock cable connector hole which is no big deal.

So far it has proven to be a worthy upgrade. Check it out, give them a call, I can't remember his name but the owner is helpful and informative.

Edited by JimC

I've heard pros and cons re PA, but went to a 200A unit after eating 2 factory alternators. No problems thus far and I beat the snot out of mu car.

bj

i put the Shelby one on my about the same milage.. and so far it's got 6500 miles on it.. no problems

A 200 amp alt is fine.

What you want to do is to figure out your current and all possible/ desired/ I gotta have/ I want future upgrade requirements will be. Add a safety on top of that so you are not working your alt at full capacity every time your engine is running and you’re set.

If a 200 amp alt works, then that’s the way to go.

I went with the 260 amp because of the extra electronic I had and planned to put in my car, which I was able to do because of the alternator.

With all the new technology and available electrics hitting the market every day it is easy to overwhelm and alternator, especially the lame weak 110 or is it 115 amp alt used on the 2007 models, or the 125 -135 amp alt on the 2008 -?.

You can always grow into to a high amp alt; but the only way to fix an insufficient alt after it’s worked it self to death and left you dead in the water is with MORE costly repairs and upgrades.

Figure out what your current and all future upgrade requirement well be (a good alt person can can help you) then add a safety and it is what ever it is. I wanted a min of a 50 amp safety cushion, better safe then sorry.

Nothing wrong with the 200amp alt. There is a whole lot wrong with a "new" insufficient alternator. And an insufficient alt is not limited to any amp range other the wrong amp range for your requirement. Better safe then sorry.

Thanks for all the input!

Today, I was able to reach Paul at Nations Starters and Alternators. He was very helpful, and confirmed my concerns about replacing my alternator with a stock unit, or an upgraded stock unit. With the incredible amount of heat here in Arizona, a 2000 watt sound system, and the addition of an upgraded heat exchanger with fans...I needed something more robust.

I went with their 270 amp unit. Everything about this alternator has been re-engineered to cope with heavy electrical loading, RPM, and most of all...heat!

Thanks JimC for the info. Now, if you can let me in on that Area 51 battery you are using... :peelout:

I went with their 270 amp unit. Everything about this alternator has been re-engineered to cope with heavy electrical loading, RPM, and most of all...heat!

Just remember, you can never have too MUCH alternator but you can easily have too little.

Your alternator will only put out what the system demands. No more, no less...Unless you have a insufficient alt. or a bad winding/diode in it.

Phill

Ever ask why the 2007 gt500 only had a 110-115 alt and the 2008 up to?? have a 125 - 135 alt? The only difference I know of is the GPS. GPS was not an option until 2008. One little option change required a higher output alt to insure correct operation.

O ya, again what Phill said +1!!!! I know, I suffered through a insufficient alt.

O ya, again what Phill said +1!!!! I know, I suffered through a insufficient alt.

Yes, I remember. But I thought you went to a SPP 200a Alt. to solve your problem.

I see different now?

Phill

Not me that was some one else. When we finially found the cause of all the speradic codes (weak 110 alt) and quit chasing all the fathom problems We were able to dial in on the real symthom of the weak alt. I was lucky Shawn from AED called nationsstalternator they pondered over all the current and future add on's I called nations we talked he explained, I went directly to his 260 or is it a 270 amp alt. No more issues and I have added tons of electrics since.

I saw the light and have no regrets.

Good info here guys. My alt just went out for a fourth time. I checkout the site jim c posted and did not see a GT500 alt on there site. Do you have to have a custom one made? Thanks.

Good info here guys. My alt just went out for a fourth time. I checkout the site jim c posted and did not see a GT500 alt on there site. Do you have to have a custom one made? Thanks.

Call Nations...they will know exactly what you need. I have been so happy with mine!

Call Nations, if they do not have a GT500 alt listed don't sweat it call them. If for some reason they are no longer building GT500 alts, I bet they will help you resolve your problem and point you in the right direction. If you read my original post when I was going through what you are Jon Lund was all over me to not drive my car and find what was wrong but every lead we followed lead to a dead end, I believed what Jon was saying so I took my car to AED, Shawn did the diagnostics on my car then call nations and gave them the info and they did the rest and sent me what I needed.

Best thing I did was to lessen and trust Jon, Shawn and Nations and let them do what they do best ------- no regrets ------ Best thing I every done for my car...

WHY?

Because I have added a lot of electronics I never planed, considered or ever dream I would add to this car and my Nations alt has the balls to handle everything I have thrown at it and much more and it s not even close to breaking a sweat......

There GT500 alts are NOT made overseas or bought from some the same warehouse Auto zone, Napa or Ford get their alts from, nor are they mass produced they are built when order and they are built to last. Tougher the ford tough that's for sure.

Toll Free (888) 334-2632

http://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/

Edited by JimC

For the guys that upgraded to the 270xp did you guys have to add additional wire for the new alt?

No additional wiring required. however I did need to change out one of the wire eye's that attached to the alternator as the eye was a tad bit small for the new post. Not a big deal.

The 270 amp alt uses the GT500 housing, its the insides that are improved. Use the ford removal and instal procedures nothing out of the ordinary or that you can't resolve in a few minute, i.e. changing out the wire eye connector.

PS.

May seem pricy or over the top now but you will be happy no regret, peace of mind is that much better when you have confidences.

When you replace your battery go to a military grade battery and you will be as bullet proof as you can get, dependability is priceless.....

Edited by JimC

Could you drill out the old one or is the new post that big where you need a new connector? I heard that some people have added a wire to the battery from the alt and another ground

Although not necessary for everyone, I chose to remove the electrical harness that runs to the alternator, starter, battery, and fusebox. The factory charging cable is 8 ga. at best, and rather than add an additional cable from the alternator to the fuse box (which still leaves the the tiny 8 ga. cable from the fuse box to the battery) I unwrapped the loom, removed the factory cable, and ran 2 ga. welding cable through the factory loom, from the alternator to the battery. This cable is now fused near the battery. I also upgraded the factory ground cable as well.

When you see how poorly the loom is assembled and wrapped (from Mexico)...you may want to do the same.

I will take a look at it. So really you need bigger wires to the box and the battery

I have 16,000 miles on my stock altinator and its still good. Keep your battery in good shape and keep a eye on the corrosion on the battery terminals and your altinator will last a long time. Keep a battery tender on the car when you park it for more than a week.

• Like 1

Ive been through 3 batteries and it stays on a tender all the time. The alt for 07-09 were made like junk.Do a search and you will see. They are known for failing. In 2010 they were made differently an I think by denso an seem to work well.

Could you drill out the old one or is the new post that big where you need a new connector? I heard that some people have added a wire to the battery from the alt and another ground

You probably could but a new Yellow wire connector is about 10 cents and a pair of wire crimps will do the trick. You should not need to replace any main wires it is a tight squeeze getting the stock alt out and the new one in but there are no major modifications required its the same as replacing a stock alt with a stock alt.

Although not necessary for everyone, I chose to remove the electrical harness that runs to the alternator, starter, battery, and fusebox. The factory charging cable is 8 ga. at best, and rather than add an additional cable from the alternator to the fuse box (which still leaves the the tiny 8 ga. cable from the fuse box to the battery) I unwrapped the loom, removed the factory cable, and ran 2 ga. welding cable through the factory loom, from the alternator to the battery. This cable is now fused near the battery. I also upgraded the factory ground cable as well.

When you see how poorly the loom is assembled and wrapped (from Mexico)...you may want to do the same.

Ok, that is a good point. When my Factory Defective Fan Motor burnt up my wiring system fuse box and lots of other items I replaced all that you are right the bean counter must have weighed in on that one.

You probably could but a new Yellow wire connector is about 10 cents and a pair of wire crimps will do the trick. You should not need to replace any main wires it is a tight squeeze getting the stock alt out and the new one in but there are no major modifications required its the same as replacing a stock alt with a stock alt.

So I finally replaced my alt from the one from nations. Seems to work well.

glad to hear all is well...

14.7 wow, that is great. Just remember, the more you add the lower that number will drop. I added a meter and after adding everything.. I run at 14.4 with the normal electrics operating. I can watch that number drop as I fire up electronic components; its goes down to 14.1 -14.2 then back up to 14-3 and settles back in at 14.4. otherwise and for the most part I stay at a very consistent 14.4. I have a lot of electronics going on..

What is nice is when at a show if I fire up the electronics while the car is not running and leave them on for a hour or two or three or more my battery voltage will drop down to 14.0 - 14.1 (I have a very large battery reserve) the alt will bring the battery back up to 14.4 in about 15 mins. of driving give or take..

You will not be disappointed, Just make sure you have a good battery..

PS

I c u we are both on the Pacific Cost Region. If we ever wind up at the same place I'd like to see your car it sound like you have it dialed in very nicely..

Edited by JimC

14.7 wow, that is great. Just remember, the more you add the lower that number will drop. I added a meter and after adding everything.. I run at 14.4 with the normal electrics operating. I can watch that number drop as I fire up electronic components; its goes down to 14.1 -14.2 then back up to 14-3 and settles back in at 14.4. otherwise and for the most part I stay at a very consistent 14.4. I have a lot of electronics going on..

What is nice is when at a show if I fire up the electronics while the car is not running and leave them on for a hour or two or three or more my battery voltage will drop down to 14.0 - 14.1 (I have a very large battery reserve) the alt will bring the battery back up to 14.4 in about 15 mins. of driving give or take..

You will not be disappointed, Just make sure you have a good battery..

PS

I c u we are both on the Pacific Cost Region. If we ever wind up at the same place I'd like to see your car it sound like you have it dialed in very nicely..

Thanks your help and info on alternator jim. Yes I live in the pacific coast region. It would be nice to meet you sometime at one of the events.

• Like 1

PS

Thanks your help and info on alternator jim. Yes I live in the pacific coast region. It would be nice to meet you sometime at one of the events.

Jim,

You almost met Allen this past June during Snakes at the Lake. Unfortunately, his alternator failed on Hwy 50 east of Placerville as the conga line made its way up to Tahoe through the Sierras. Maybe you'll see each other next year. :)

• Like 1