Frank S

Shelby Collectibles - Who's in charge?

Is Shelby Collectibles actually a Shelby entity, or is it farmed out to someone who is not adept at fact-checking?

The reason I ask is: These guys are both knowledgeable and obsessive about detail, and they say the New Re-Release of the 1959 Le Mans-Winning Aston Martin is wrong, wrong, wrongity-wrong.

Maybe we can get Darrell Issa to look into this?

They are a licensee, not a part of Shelby.

Jer

• Like 1

Is Shelby Collectibles actually a Shelby entity, or is it farmed out to someone who is not adept at fact-checking?

The reason I ask is: These guys are both knowledgeable and obsessive about detail, and they say the New Re-Release of the 1959 Le Mans-Winning Aston Martin is wrong, wrong, wrongity-wrong.

Maybe we can get Darrell Issa to look into this?

you should have known this will all the error cars out there

As a licensee, wouldn't they have to get approval of every tool and every decoration from SAI?

We had to submit everything when I was with Matchbox. We sent both 2D art and 3D pre-production samples for approvals. We wouldn't proceed with production until we had full approval in writing. (I will say SAI was one of the quickest / best licensor's I ever worked with. Usually done within 24 hours.)

As a licensee, wouldn't they have to get approval of every tool and every decoration from SAI?

We had to submit everything when I was with Matchbox. We sent both 2D art and 3D pre-production samples for approvals. We wouldn't proceed with production until we had full approval in writing. (I will say SAI was one of the quickest / best licensor's I ever worked with. Usually done within 24 hours.)

Yes, but to clarify, that is Shelby Licensing, not SAI. Separate division, not part of the auto manufacturing arm here in Vegas.

Jer

Yes, but to clarify, that is Shelby Licensing, not SAI. Separate division, not part of the auto manufacturing arm here in Vegas.

Jer

My apologies for stating that incorrectly. I didn't realize Shelby Licensing was not a part of SAI. We're barking up the wrong tree here.

My apologies for stating that incorrectly. I didn't realize Shelby Licensing was not a part of SAI. We're barking up the wrong tree here.

Shelby Licensing is in California. The director of it is a really nice lady and she has been to many different Shelby events. She even came to the first Terlingua in 2008.

She was the one with an Umbrella to block out the sun. I always thought umbrellas were for the rain until I met her..............lol

Shelby Licensing is in California. The director of it is a really nice lady and she has been to many different Shelby events. She even came to the first Terlingua in 2008.

She was the one with an Umbrella to block out the sun. I always thought umbrellas were for the rain until I met her..............lol

Tracy is a one of the best people I know and takes her job very very seriously. That being said, what do you expect for 34 dollars

I think we need to separate the licensor from the licensee. The product development / marketing people (licensee) are supposed to be the experts who create products for the target audience. When you are targeting a Shelby enthusiast to sell die-cast product to, whether it's $5 or $50, you have to anticipate a higher level of expectation from the consumers. Trying to sell the wrong car or fictitious paint color version is going to be met with negative comments such as the original OP's. If a tool is produced there needs to be a long term plan for it's usage to justify the dollars spent. The licensor (Shelby) has expectations that were agreed to by the licensee (manufacture) for a certain amount of product produced in a specific time frame. Typically this is all planned in the initial agreement. The Aston Martin tooling has limited use and even with offering a few recolors, there isn't much option to recover all the $ spent. The Cobra's, Daytona's, and various Shelby Mustang are far easier to create multiple versions with a few tool slide changes to get lots of mileage out of and easily earn $ to pay for the tooling and earn profits. All that said, any licensor can only comment so much about recolors as submitted for approvals. It is up to the licensee to submit the right cars and decorations. If it were me I'd make sure every production version and race version were done before any incorrect / fantasy version was ever even considered in a Shelby Collectible type of line. my 2 cents...

At the end of the day, the topic is about an Aston Martin die cast not being correct, which I agree, it wasn't factually correct.

With the racing of an Aston Martin being the exception, I don't believe Shelby ever modified them for sale, etc.

The die cast was something affordable to help commemorate the LeMans wins rather being a concourse piece.

Tracy is a one of the best people I know and takes her job very very seriously. That being said, what do you expect for 34 dollars

The 're-release' in question is still being sold, and at fifty-nine English Pounds.

Someone over there at Shelby Licensing (or Shelby Collectibles) (whatever) said, "Go ahead; looks good to me (or us)".

It's possible to be very serious, and very nice, and at the same time be wrong, wrong, wrongity wrong.

For my part, I have the IXO 1:43 model, correct in the features where the Big Ol' Shelby Collectibles item is faulty. Mine 'represents' in a way the BOSC thing never can, and was just $23.95 at the time I bought it.

This is a Collectibles forum. If you don't have the orientation to appreciate 'concourse' applications, fine. For those who do, these are very important aspects of the hobby, I believe Shelby Collectibles - whoever that is - owes an apology to buyers who were enticed by the positive tone of the description.

Edited by Frank S