Sign in to follow this  
ilmor

Has The 2015 Ford Mustang Gained Hundreds Of Pounds?

According to Blue Oval modifier Steeda Autosports, which states that "the 2015 Mustang ended up gaining 200-300 pounds in this remake".

I was afraid this would happen w/ the added weight of the IRS and the euro-"global"-requirements, along with the fact that the car is not really any smaller (shorter, but wider).

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/01/2015-ford-mustang-weight-gain-300-pounds/

I thought Ford has said the whole time that it was going to be lighter by 200-300 pounds?

On the photos that I have seen it it appears the 2015 is much smaller than the 2005 to 2014 Mustangs.

Time will tell. I am happy with the ones I have.

I thought Ford has said the whole time that it was going to be lighter by 200-300 pounds?

On the photos that I have seen it it appears the 2015 is much smaller than the 2005 to 2014 Mustangs.

Time will tell. I am happy with the ones I have.

+1 ... can't wait !!!

There was an engineering / aftermarket meeting here in Dearborn during the past week.

From what I understand, the weight/gain loss was more of a draw due to the addition of the IRS - we shall see.

Whether it gained or lost, however, isn't the big news for the 2015 Mustang. There were a few clues scattered in that report that will eventually surface, should anyone read into it.

Edited by robertlane

Since it is now for sale and can be ordered, one would think all of the specifications would be available. Maybe they are somewhere...

I saw one in person at the Mustang birthday event and I love the new look. In my opinioon its a complete remake of the car. It looks outstanding. They also had the 50th edition there. It hat the chrome bar across the grill like the 67 68 Gt. it was missing the 2 fog lights which I wished they had included. The interrior is a complete remake also. With a new dash and door panels. tried to upload photos but were to large. :sheesh:

Whether it gained or lost, however, isn't the big news for the 2015 Mustang. There were a few clues scattered in that report that will eventually surface, should anyone read into it.

I didn't get the clues, can you elaborate?

I didn't get the clues, can you elaborate?

There was an engineering meeting of suppliers and companies that mod the Mustang. In that meeting, Ford detailed some specifics that might apply to future products.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140602/CARNEWS/140609982?utm_source=DailyDrive20140603&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=missedarticle2&utm_content=20140602-Mustang-tuner-Steeda-says-2015-pony-car-gained-weight&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

I think the article is interested in regard to Ford's response. From what an engineer to me directly, the gain of the IRS would be offset with weight cuts elsewhere.

That might have changed since this was a while ago.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140602/CARNEWS/140609982?utm_source=DailyDrive20140603&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=missedarticle2&utm_content=20140602-Mustang-tuner-Steeda-says-2015-pony-car-gained-weight&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

I think the article is interested in regard to Ford's response. From what an engineer to me directly, the gain of the IRS would be offset with weight cuts elsewhere.

That might have changed since this was a while ago.

Yes, not to mention that, unless they new the overall change for sure, Steeda made an ignorant statement. Personally I can't imagine that Ford would make a blunder like a 200 to 300 pound weight gain.

There's an update at the bottom of that article now. It does sound like sombody from Steeda should not have said what they have said. Heck, Steeda doesn't even have a car, so how would anybody there have any idea what the new car weighs. They were making assumptions based on past cars. That's not very smart. Or somebody in the media mis-interpreted something that was said. Or what was said was not what was meant. Wow, that would never happen. I'm guessing Steeda just made it to the top of Ford's sh** list for making such comments when they have not even had a car to validate such comments. Now every media outlet has taken those comments and run with it.

"UPDATE: We talked to Ford PR who said that Steeda isn't exactly right with its 200-300 pound claim. Ford also said that Steeda doesn't currently have a car to weight, so it's not sure where the claim came from. It also didn't give us the actual curb weight, so we'll be waiting for that.

As for Steeda, and how they came up with the 200-300-pound figure, Seth from Steeda posted on the Mustang6G forum: Based on our experience working with IRS mustangs in the past we estimated what the weight addition will be. In addition current industry trends with new cars show additional weight being added for various new safety and comfort features."

Edited by JeffJ

Well, whatever the truth is, we'll learn it soon enough I guess.

In any event, current Mustang sales continue to be "up" so it appears that a lot of guys want to grab the non-Euro-global model while they still can!

Ford Mustang sales up eleven percent in May

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2014/06/04/ford-mustang-sales-up-eleven-percent-in-may/