makapuu

2008 Gt500 - On My 5Th Battery!

How many batteries have you been through?

My 2008 is on its 5th battery! I changed it to a red top Optima a few years ago, and have had to replace it 2 times (so 3 total). My wife's GT500 is on its 3rd battery.

Yes, I know - battery tender. I finally got mine installed permanently, and the problem seems to be solved..

46651_152419831449969_5954872_n.jpg

What was happening - not running the car all winter and then a dead battery in the Spring each year?

My '07 SGT has its original battery. I do use a battery tender over the winter months.

How much was that battery tender? :lol:

A lot cheaper than 4 + 2 extra batteries!

But we all know our GT500's are a big hole in the garage we throw money into.

If you're not driving it everyday a battery tender is a must unless you own stock in a battery manufacturer or something.

Edited by mavisky

I'm probably lucky and due for a new battery soon I guess. My SGT only has the battery tender during the winter. After that, if I'm lucky I might get to drive it once every two weeks. As of last weekend the original battery was still starting. I hope it starts on Sunday for the car show!

Going on 6 years on the original battery on my 09 GT500. No battery tender and it does go 4-6 weeks at a time during the winter between starts. Sounds like something unusual going on with your car.

It happened to me too, 2 batteries in about 2 months and almost a 3rd.!f the car sits for 3 weeks or more you should disconnect tge battery terminals. The radio eats the power. I bought the biggest shelby alternator and have no problems now. Either keep it on the heart tickler or disconnect or buy an alternator

My 08 KR is a battery thief. The car has had three so far. I bought the current one last Oct. The original owner bought the second one a year before I purchased the car. The battery would not hold a charge. I drive it a few times a month and it still occasionally dies. I do have a battery tender and use it mainly during the cold bad weather months. Funny thing is my 66 Fastback has a 4 year old battery and it starts every time without the use of a tender even during the winter. I think I will switch to the Optima brand next round for the KR.

I am curious ... are all of you experiencing these battery problems only with motorcraft batteries, or is this happening to any make of battery you purchase?

I switched to Autozones best battery last October. They had a good warranty. I don't think the issue is with Motorcraft as Ford probably uses the same manufacturer that most other brands use. My 94 Cobra's Motorcraft battery lasted 6+yrs.

I just replaced my 6 year old, '08, stock battery as well. 6 years is about avg for a battery in my experience (based on the Shelby, my truck and another vehicle I have).

I prefer the Battery Tender Jr though. Plenty to keep a battery topped off and even weather proof

It happened to me too, 2 batteries in about 2 months and almost a 3rd.!f the car sits for 3 weeks or more you should disconnect tge battery terminals. The radio eats the power. I bought the biggest shelby alternator and have no problems now. Either keep it on the heart tickler or disconnect or buy an alternator

Super hiss, what brand/model alternator did you upgrade to?

• Like 1

I keep mine on a tender but only when I'm around. I am paranoid about a spark or some other electrical gremlin causing a house fire when I'm gone. :drop:

• Like 1

Original Battery 7 years.. Trickle charger every winter.

2004 Mustang, original battery, trickle charged all year long, remove charger and car starts instantly.Need to change the gas in her though.

Battery tests full.

What the hell is killing your batteries?

In my experiance.......Optima batteries are great if you use the vehicle. They DO NOT like to sit dormant!

Lead acid batteries have a high self discharge and most cars have alarms that slowly deplete you battery as well. OK if you drive every few weeks, otherwise get a battery tender.

Super hiss, what brand/model alternator did you upgrade to?

The one from shelby store, the biggest one they had. According to a ford tech the alternators are crap. The radio pulls a lot from the battery. According to van they don't like high rpm anything high kills them. So to my guess those of you running smaller pullies or larger dampers are making the other pullies running off that belt spin faster too. Going to 5800 rpm is like 6000 rpm the alternator is thinking and since the cars have alarms, even with the engine off power is still being pulled

The one from shelby store, the biggest one they had. According to a ford tech the alternators are crap. The radio pulls a lot from the battery. According to van they don't like high rpm anything high kills them. So to my guess those of you running smaller pullies or larger dampers are making the other pullies running off that belt spin faster too. Going to 5800 rpm is like 6000 rpm the alternator is thinking and since the cars have alarms, even with the engine off power is still being pulled

Is this the one you are referring to? I just might disconnect my radio and listen to my exhaust tunes!

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT500-Alteranator-p/s7m-10300.htm

In my experiance.......Optima batteries are great if you use the vehicle. They DO NOT like to sit dormant!

I've got a 12 year old red top Optima on my '68, and that cars goes months without being started, and no tender...I do disconnect though, but 12 years, and stills cranks away without issue

• Like 1

How many batteries have you been through?

My 2008 is on its 5th battery! I changed it to a red top Optima a few years ago, and have had to replace it 2 times (so 3 total). My wife's GT500 is on its 3rd battery.

Yes, I know - battery tender. I finally got mine installed permanently, and the problem seems to be solved..

46651_152419831449969_5954872_n.jpg

My 08 KR still has the original battery, no issues

I have gone through 3 batterys and 3 alternators. No more oem alternator for me and gonna go with xs power

The Optima red top is your biggest problem! I went through seven of those doorstops in my '93, until I got tired of taking them back. Finally decided to put an Interstate battery in her...and never had another issue.

Red tops just dont like to sit. Although, They seem to work well in daily drivers. And, once they fully discharge, only a very good trickle charger can bring 'em back.

Also, if you havent had alternator problems, chances are good you will. I went with the Nations 270A replacement and am very happy with it.

2nd battery and alternator for my 2008. Car was a daily driver and batteries don't last long here in FL. Have been on the 2nd battery for quite some time now since it stopped being my dd.

Edited by Hopsgt500

Still on my original battery. Gets parked in Sept. or Oct. and sits in garage until Apr. or May. No tender, not disconnected. Every spring starts up as if brand new. I think you've got a problem somewhere (duh!). Would an ammeter between the positive term. & cable tell you if & how much drain is on batt. when car is off? Then just disconnect things one at a time until drain stops?

Still on my original battery. Gets parked in Sept. or Oct. and sits in garage until Apr. or May. No tender, not disconnected. Every spring starts up as if brand new. I think you've got a problem somewhere (duh!). Would an ammeter between the positive term. & cable tell you if & how much drain is on batt. when car is off? Then just disconnect things one at a time until drain stops?

It is most likely the on board alarm. One click on remote locks car. Two clicks and the alarm is activated.Something like that.

If car in garage you could leave the vehicle locked but alarm off.

Be care full when removing positive wire from battery and adding an ammeter. Visions of the positive cable hitting negative return when connected to ammeter and boom.

My 07 is on its second Motorcraft battery. I replaced the original battery a few years back when it started leaking acid fumes and corroded the negative terminal, but it was working fine otherwise. I decided to replace it with another Motorcraft battery after installing an Optima and was unhappy with the fit. The second battery has been working fine since. I can leave the car undriven for up to three weeks without charging, but beyond that I put a battery charger on it to restore the battery to full charge. I understand that the radio if left on when the car is shut down will quickly drain the battery; I make it a point to turn the radio off prior to shutting down the engine.

Edited by 6-Speed

Went to drive my KR yesterday. Guess what, nothing. I immediately took my 6 month old battery out and took it back to advance. 0% charge. They gave me a new one as this battery has a 3 yr full replacement. If this one goes, I will check the alternator. To me, this is not normal.