ZEROED

Best Way To Clean And Shine Kr Alcoa Wheels?

I haven't removed the wheels from the car yet, but I use a lot of elbow grease and ONLY mild soap and water like the other folks are using. Dirt comes right off anyway so don't be tempted to use anything harsher.

Wire brush and purple zep?

THAT WAS A JOKE!!!!!! I don't know if yall have used that stuff. It's crazy. I use it to clean sun baked veggie oil off my truck. Stuff is the nastiest degreaser I've ever seen lol

I clean mine with soap & water then rinse with clean water, the nice thing about the Alcoas is you can reach throught o clean the backside of the rim.

I spray with Prolong waterless. It contains a lubricant to protect against scratching. use a micro fiber towel to wipe off brake dust and then polish with a clean micro fiber towel. 5 minute process and wheels come out brilliant.

One of the benefits of "DuraBrite" ....... Use NOTHING but soap and water. It's an awesome finish and also one reason why they are not cheap!

I've used car detail on occasion, but soap and water does a great job. I put a coat of wax on them once a year, just so that I can touch them a lot, lol....

After I get mine clean with soap and water I will use Surf City's wheel wax. It stands up to the heat better. Once or twice a year and your set.

Some chrome cleaner and a green scrub pad on the inside of the wheels. And lots of water. The outside, soap and water.

Btw, for old weight tape glue, brake cleaner and the green scrub pad again. Comes right off. Then lots more soap and water. Dry, reinstall on car.

Step back and smile real big.

Some chrome cleaner and a green scrub pad on the inside of the wheels. And lots of water. The outside, soap and water.

Btw, for old weight tape glue, brake cleaner and the green scrub pad again. Comes right off. Then lots more soap and water. Dry, reinstall on car.

Hey Bruce,

Isn't the durabright coating on the inside of the wheel also? I would think the green pad would scratch it.

AK

Speaking of cleaning our wheels. Anyone have an issue with fogging, as I call it. My wheels seem to have a fog or dull looking film on them. Also, what do you guys do for surface scratching?

AK.

Edited by AlaskanKR

As long as you can't feel the scratch with your finger nail I would just use some wax with a cleaner in it to polish it out. It's mild enough that it won't remove the Dura-coat.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the scrub pads. If they are the same ones I have then your are in essence using 600 grit sandpaper on them, albeit wet sanding. If the inside of the wheels are that bad then just use some WD40 on a clean rag to dissolve the grime then wash with soap and water. I would try everything I could not to disturb that coating.

I didn't see any mention of the cleaning of the engraved letters. I believe a ball mill was used to letter these wheels and the bottom of that engraving seems to hold dirt and brake dust. I have found that a soft tooth brush with that same soap/water solution works well and then blow the solution away with compressed air with a rag to catch the solution that is blow out of each engraved letter.

R

Speaking of cleaning our wheels. Anyone have an issue with fogging, as I call it. My wheels seem to have a fog or dull looking film on them. Also, what do you guys do for surface scratching?

AK.

I sometimes get this "fogging" on my carbon fiber front splitter, but never on my wheels.

Hey Bruce,

Isn't the durabright coating on the inside of the wheel also? I would think the green pad would scratch it.

AK

I've had off all my wheels recently. I do that a lot when I'm bored. Anyway, as far as my hands can tell, it's raw cut aluminum on the insides. Because it's rough (not bay-ass smooth), it collects dirt that a power washer won't knock off.

As far as shine, I gave up. I buff them with a microfiber towel. Lotions and potions don't seem to give any real benefit.

My thoughts.

I sometimes get this "fogging" on my carbon fiber front splitter, but never on my wheels.

I have found that a little heat from the sun or even a hair dryer will clear the "fog" right up in those cf parts.

Was this 8 page Alcoa booklet included with each GT500KR?.................Like maybe a glove box item?

007_zpsfdi559pb.jpg

R

No

I wonder what the original plan was for this Alcoa guide? I assumed the KR's got it, the Super Snakes did not.

Definitely one of those nice glove box items specific to these cars..............

001_zps3s3onevh.jpg

002_zpscup543ly.jpg

003_zps3vi4azff.jpg

004_zpsuiz5gk9w.jpg

I know several people who bought SPP Alcoa's back in the earlier days and this guide was not included in their wheel boxes.

R

Edited by Robert M

I wonder what the original plan was for this Alcoa guide? I assumed the KR's got it, the Super Snakes did not.

Definitely one of those nice glove box items specific to these cars..............

001_zps3s3onevh.jpg

002_zpscup543ly.jpg

003_zps3vi4azff.jpg

004_zpsuiz5gk9w.jpg

I know several people who bought SPP Alcoa's back in the earlier days and this guide was not included in their wheel boxes.

R

Where did you get this?

Where did you get this?

There were three of these for sale on eBay a couple of weeks ago by the same seller.

It definitely shows the cars from early publications, and is correct time period dated 2007, but I had never seen this info. either. That is why I was wondering why and for what it was produced, if not for the KR?

R

Edited by Robert M

When I bought 20" wheels from Shelby one of those were in each box.

Ok, so some of the boxed Alcoa's did come with this info. Thanks Tom.

These where the earlier "SHELBY FORGED" version of Alcoa's?

R

Edited by Robert M