ShelbyGT5HUN

Garage Queens Need Only Apply

Hey Everyone!

I'm interested in hearing what extreme measures you take to keep your Shelby in mint condition. How often do you drive your car, and what level of detailing does it see on a regular basis?

My current car has no dents, swirl marks, scratches or imperfections, inside or out, at 10k miles. It's had one previous owner, who averaged about 2500 miles a year, summer only driving. My car is always garage kept, has never seen any rain or weather. As funny as it sounds, I don't wash it more than about once a month, to prevent the introduction of swirls, or detailing marks. It gets dusty/bug splats more than it gets "dirty". I followed the thread on how the axle tubes can rust, but mine are still in very good condition, without any paint work. Rain and weather can really take a toll on the undercarriage.

No matter how careful you are, and I've worked in a detail shop, you can introduce marks, even by washing. I use a two bucket wash system, rinsing and wringing the mitt PRIOR to dunking it in the second bucket, and after drying, use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detail to remove water spots, and any dust. When washing or waxing, I use light pressure, and always go in straight lines, never go in a circular motion. The paint is all original, and has never been cut or clayed. I only use new microfiber clothes, and throw them out, never washed and reused. I took out the factory floor mats, and installed a nice set of rubber mats. Washing and detailing is a two day process. It takes about 2.5 hours to wash and dry, then I garage it, and detail it the next day.

I average about 150 miles a month. My driving season runs from April to November, and it's taken out for a cruise on some nice driving roads. I never commute with it, and limit top speed runs / highway driving to protect the front end from stone chips and BUGS (I hate bug splatters). I just can't bear to drive it in any situation that could get it dirty! I never leave it parked in any public place (restaurant, bar, MALL (lol)). It goes from the garage to the road, back to the garage. I don't forsee it becoming a collectible car, but it's just too nice to ever drive it into the ground, and if I ever go to re-sell it, the next buyer will surely want a mint car, just like I searched for.

I will admit this behavior limits my driving style, and enjoyment of the car, but I really can enjoy the car just by admiring its lines and beauty, more like a work of art than a car!

Am I nuts?

Nah, you're not nuts. It's your car and its up to you how you choose to enjoy it!

My 2007 Shelby GT has 11,396 miles on it and I'm the original owner. I probably wash mine 3 or 4 times a year at most. It has never been waxed; all I've ever used is the spray polish (Meguiars) stuff. On the vinyl stripes I've used only a UV protectant. It also never sees rain or snow and is always garage kept when not in use. My factory mats stay in the trunk except for shows; WeatherTech's stay in the car. Leather seats and interior get cleaned & treated once / year.

Besides an occasional drive when I have time, and 2 or 3 car shows ea. year, I do take it on a trip maybe once every two or three years - in fact I'm planning one this year. It's just such a great driving car. Prior to the trip I make sure the frontal areas are freshly polished, and then I use the polish to remove any bugs asap. This has always worked well.

I am just getting ready to break the 1000 original miles milestone on my 2008 725 Super Snake, does that qualify?

R

Edited by Robert M

Yup, you're nuts!! Sounds like you spend more effort on cleaning it than enjoying. I do all the opposite of you to mine and it still looks new with 36k+ miles. You're wasting your time and worrying too much!

• Like 1

If your concerned about rock chips.... use clear Road Wrap to protect front area.....cheap , removable protection

SDC10514.JPG

I am just getting ready to break the 1000 original miles milestone on my 2008 725 Super Snake, does that qualify?

R

Now that sounds like a really mint car!

As hard as I tried to turn mine into the garage queen you describe, I just failed and could not do it......After I first got it, I drove my 05 daily, and the Shelby on the weekends.....

That did not last but a couple of months, because I just enjoy driving it way too much....

Yep, it gets dirty, sometimes gets rained on, and catches the occasional rock chip. But it also gets way more stares, thumbs up, and conversations in parking lots.....

Do what you like, but enjoy the ride!!

• Like 1

I think you'd find much more enjoyment, not to mention huge additional amounts of money and time, by obsessing far less over every minute detail on a daily basis and simply investing in periodic cosmetic maintenance instead - unless what you enjoy most about your car is its ownership and preservation rather than operation. Otherwise, what happens the first time something beyond your control in this chaotic and sometimes shitty world we inhabit and a truck throws a stone into your hood and windshield, you curb a wheel, or some douchebag decides your GT500 makes a better place to leave a shopping cart than the corral at the other end of the lot?

It's like obsessing from the day a daughter is born ONLY about the day she loses her virginity - even if it happens to be a well-kept slightly-used daughter as in this case. It may seem like the right thing to do and few would bother to argue otherwise. But is it likely to yield a relationship in which dear old dad is her hero and protector, or some ogre whose watchful eye she'll embark upon learning to elude as soon in life as possible?

You can do a lot to strike a balance. Buy a set of pull-off wheels and box the originals. Later GT500s make that easy because BOTH the staggered wheels AND tires are such miserable choices for how the overwhelming majority of owners in the overwhelming majority of locations use their cars (when they do). You also can begin amassing spare interior and exterior trim parts to replace the visible surfaced that only naturally become worn over time. Buying over time spreads out the cost and look for bargains which, though not inexpensive, very likely will yield tremendous value and a brand new interior whenever you choose without all of the daily time, effort and expense.

Don't misunderstand. I'm a person by whom the clinical diagnosis of anal retentive is calibrated with a whopping dose of OCD to boot who became so unable NOT to resent every mile that clicked by on the odometer that resigning myself to trading in my GT500 for a new one each successive year simply became an ownership cost that was necessary for me to be able to fully enjoy a car. And that worked well, right up to the points at which the following year's model wasn't necessarily as appealing and they stopped making GT500 altogether. That forced things into a new gear entirely which I freely admit to being very fortunate to be able to indulge - or ownership would be a very different experience to me.

I finally realized that the only way I could enjoy owning a GT500 was BOTH to be able to drive it as often and hard as I like and having one set aside which I could use to rollback the odometer to day one or simply keep in perpetuity. I also still do all the other things like boxing the original wheels and replacing the occasional visible trim piece to keep the one I drive new, but I'm also free to drive it much more often and enjoy it much more fully than I ever would have been able on the basis of having one and only car which represented a finite commodity that eventually I effectively would consume.

Though I freely admit to it requiring the ability to dedicate more resources that many are able, it's also not nearly as expensive as one might think. It does tie up liquid resources, but the net cost is only the depreciation and time value of money which has been virtually nil during the past eight years. And weighed against the cost restoring a vehicle to its delivery date otherwise would cost, it becomes downright cheap by comparison.

Just pray your interests don't also expand into the BOSS 302, 50th Anniversary GTs and the upcoming GT350s which only multiply the challenge while heaping on the additional dilemma of how and where to keep them. My only regret is not fully appreciating the BOSS realitive to the GT500 whose supercharged power, brand appeal and the fear of looming fuel economy mandates swayed the argument. In retrospect, I'd have owned half as many GT500s and twice as many BOSSes and had a whole lot more of different types of fun for a whole lot less.

But it's ALWAYS the GT500 that draws nods, stares, thumbs ups, and requests to take pictures with peoples' girlfriends standing next to it, which happens SO consistently that I recently had planned to trade my '13 Coupe and abandoned the proposition because of compliments I received EACH TIME I was driving to dealership to do the deal. Even my wife understood at that point.

Edited by Madlock

I'm a driver, not a detailer...

But hey, its your car, do as you please.

Motor on...

Edited by Cali_KR

I'm a driver, not a detailer...

But hey, its your car, do as you please.

Motor on...

I agree.... if I had a choice to sit at a show for four hours or take a drive..... we would stop a couple of gas stations.... We have driven 3 hours one way in the car for a lunch of fresh crabs on the Eastern shore of Maryland.

Stone chips yeah it has a few, swirls.... yep there's a couple, miles on the odie, about 25,000. I limit my high speed runs of 90MPH plus to every chance I get. It ain't no fun if you don't see a ton!

Don't get me wrong I take care of the car and it's garaged 12 months a year. But I will take it to the mall and find the perfect parking spot which is usually right up front thanks to my wife and her handicapped placard! If she's not with me I have a long walk to the store. If there is a chance of rain, I may look at the radar and judge if I can make it there and back without getting wet. If I fail and it gets rained on (it has seen rain, snow and sleet) I wash it with the one washmit system. And like Madlock I will go absolutely apeshit on anybody that tries to do something to the car. It is my baby!!! My son-in-law is still afraid of me because he married my daughter..... don't mess with my Shelby!

• Like 2

If you had a HOT girlfriend, would you not have sex with her for fear of ruining her for the next guy?

love it!!!

but... I'm too old for "Hot" girlfriends.... dammit!!!! :banghead:

Now that sounds like a really mint car!

I got burned out with the whole car thing a few years ago and am currently raising a 9 year old boy and 13 (soon to be 14) year old girl with my wife and have put the car on the back burner, I do little upgrade projects on it often and take it out for a spin once in a while, but it has spent much of it's life under a car cover with a battery tender attached (in an a/c'ed garage), I have never even washed it. I use Maguires Spray Detail on it, after it has been out for a spin, and sometimes I pull the wheels one at a time, completely clean the wheels inside and out, wipe the inner fender areas, clean off the brake calipers and shocks/struts. The axle had the normal 2007-2010 surface rust issues so I pulled it out and completely restored it to Ford assy. line condition (markings and all) before the rust pitted the steel and that brought the car to a level where it looks Great on the bottom side also.

Once in a while I bring the kids to school in it, that is always a treat for them sitting in the car line in a full 3" exhaust 725 Super Snake with the SUV/CUV's and other cars in line all around. One time I dropped my daughter off and that evening she told me she heard a couple of boys whisper "That's a Super Snake!!" when she walked by. For right now...........it's all about the kids (with my little upgrade projects on the side). Sometimes they (my kids) argue about "who is going to get the Red car!". <<First car?!?

R

Edited by Robert M
  • Like 1

I got burned out with the whole car thing a few years ago and am currently raising a 9 year old boy and 13 (soon to be 14) year old girl with my wife and have put the car on the back burner, I do little upgrade projects on it often and take it out for a spin once in a while, but it has spent much of it's life under a car cover with a battery tender attached (in an a/c'ed garage), I have never even washed it. I use Maguires Spray Detail on it, after it has been out for a spin, and sometimes I pull the wheels one at a time, completely clean the wheels inside and out, wipe the inner fender areas, clean off the brake calipers and shocks/struts. The axle had the normal 2007-2010 surface rust issues so I pulled it out and completely restored it to Ford assy. line condition (markings and all) before the rust pitted the steel and that brought the car to a level where it looks Great on the bottom side also.

Once in a while I bring the kids to school in it, that is always a treat for them sitting in the car line in a full 3" exhaust 725 Super Snake with the SUV/CUV's and other cars in line all around. One time I dropped my daughter off and that evening she told me she heard a couple of boys whisper "That's a Super Snake!!" when she walked by. For right now...........it's all about the kids (with my little upgrade projects on the side). Sometimes they (my kids) argue about "who is going to get the Red car!". <<First car?!?

Funny you mention that, every time I pick up my daughter from school in my SGT or 5.0 I hear or see something similar. Yesterday 3 boys were yelling "Hey can we get a ride in that Mustang!?" I'm just glad that some young people still like performance cars!

R

I´m often conflicted about driving mine.

I´m extremely anal about the condition of it and do all I can to keep it in pristine condition. I´ve only had the KR for a year...as of next week. I drove my Torch Red 07 a little over 5300 miles the three and a half years I owned it. Last summer I put 1500 miles on the KR and I considered that al LOT. This summer I think I´ll put a few more; I´m about to hit 9K, I bought it with a bit over 6K.

Living in Alaska I'm not able to drive it from October to May. Usually by the end of April most of the gravel and sand have been removed form our highways, but I still need to be careful.

I take it in every spring and have it professionally detaled and then only wash it the rest of the summer. I wash it after every drive because of our abundance of mosquitoes and I can't stand to see it dirty. This year I had all of the exterior carbon fiber parts covered with 3-M rock guard so that's one less thing I have to worry about.

To date I have no damage to any part of the car except for a couple of those damn tiny windshield pits. I'm just waiting for the right rock to hit me so I can have it replaced.

I'v also discovered that when I'm driving the KR I'm a bit more tense and paranoid and I can only hope that feeling subsides over time.

I believe that the more time I own it the less I will concern myself with the mileage, but I guess only time will tell.

AK.

Edited by AlaskanKR
  • Like 1

Funny you mention that, every time I pick up my daughter from school in my SGT or 5.0 I hear or see something similar. Yesterday 3 boys were yelling "Hey can we get a ride in that Mustang!?" I'm just glad that some young people still like performance cars!

^^^^And that is the key..............Keep the Mustang interest alive with the youth. If we keep our specialty Mustangs long enough, the youth will be the future buyers (when they are buying their "dream cars") when it is time for us to sell............

R

Edited by Robert M

After reading some of these posts, I might just change my attitude about driving the car. Drive it more in the summer, and just enjoy how clean it looks in the winter when it sits! I really hate bug splatters, they are corrosive, and in some cases, clog up the radiator!

324570d1367251334-florida-guys-love-bug-

It's hard to make memories in a car when all it does is stay parked in the garage.

^^^^And that is the key..............Keep the Mustang interest alive with the youth. If we keep our specialty Mustangs long enough, the youth will be the future buyers (when they are buying their "dream cars") when it is time for us to sell............

It is finally time to build a career and I will tell you this; I'm smart about my investing, but when the time comes, and that time will feel longer than it actually is, I'll be watching for that Shelby! And I WILL drive it.

R

Hey Robert, check your messages buddy

It is finally time to build a career and I will tell you this; I'm smart about my investing, but when the time comes, and that time will feel longer than it actually is, I'll be watching for that Shelby! And I WILL drive it.

...............and if my wife had her way, it would be for sale sooner than later, for much less than has been spent on it!!

R

OP, I understand your dilemma. I dreamed of owning a Shelby for as long as I can remember. When I got my 2013, it was a dream machine. I travel a lot, and kept waiting for "good days" when I was home. It's more than 2 years old, and it only has 570 miles on it. She's still perfect.

But I love to drive, so I casually mentioned to the wife that I needed another. Believe it or not, she said "okay". Wow. I looked around and found a sweet 2012 Ingot Silver (the 13 is black with white stripes). I test drove it in the rain, and brought it home a day later, in the rain. I park it outside and enjoy it every day now. The best of both worlds.

To answer your original question. I use Adam's Polishes, and keep two covers on the 13. The first is an indoor Coverking from Shelby, the second is the factory cover. That keeps the soft surface on the car, and the dust from getting through.

I'm still driving that black beast on pretty days. But now, I get to enjoy a Shelby everyday. Besides, a nice used Shelby isn't any more than a nice late-model pickup these days.

OP, I understand your dilemma. I dreamed of owning a Shelby for as long as I can remember. When I got my 2013, it was a dream machine. I travel a lot, and kept waiting for "good days" when I was home. It's more than 2 years old, and it only has 570 miles on it. She's still perfect.

But I love to drive, so I casually mentioned to the wife that I needed another. Believe it or not, she said "okay". Wow. I looked around and found a sweet 2012 Ingot Silver (the 13 is black with white stripes). I test drove it in the rain, and brought it home a day later, in the rain. I park it outside and enjoy it every day now. The best of both worlds.

To answer your original question. I use Adam's Polishes, and keep two covers on the 13. The first is an indoor Coverking from Shelby, the second is the factory cover. That keeps the soft surface on the car, and the dust from getting through.

I'm still driving that black beast on pretty days. But now, I get to enjoy a Shelby everyday. Besides, a nice used Shelby isn't any more than a nice late-model pickup these days.

I'll bet that '13 feels like a new ride every time you get in it and start it up?

R

UPDATE:

This past Friday afternoon, I looked at the car, and it was dusty! I swear this car is a dust magnet. The last time I drove it was 5 days ago, and it has only been driven twice since I washed it. The car is dark in color, and dust shows up like crazy. Dust like dust you get in house kind of dust. The car is garaged, but the DAMN DUST!

I almost went to get the buckets and hose, but I said, "It's Friday, just go for a good blast, and forget about the dust." Had a blast, and parked it shut the garage door, then just started laughing when I looked at the car. IT WAS COMPLETELY SPOTLESS! All the dust was gone, and I was smiling thinking that DRIVING it actually made it cleaner. Glad I didn't waste 2 hrs washing and cleaning it just because it was dusty. Lesson learned!

• Like 1

If you go outside at night, with a powerful flash light, and point it straight up, there is all kinds of dust, pollen, and grainy looking dust floating around. My first Shelby was white, and your never had these problems. I own a dark colored one now, and its amazing how dust and dirt shows up on the finish!

If you go outside at night, with a powerful flash light, and point it straight up, there is all kinds of dust, pollen, and grainy looking dust floating around. My first Shelby was white, and your never had these problems. I own a dark colored one now, and its amazing how dust and dirt shows up on the finish!

+1. If the car has a good coat of wax on it, take a large microfiber towel and dust the car off. Takes about 5 minutes to do and don't have to wash it unless it's actually dirty.

Like everyone already said it's your car enjoy it the way you want, But as for me I have 19k and i'm driving the crap out of it.