treeve

Ford Returns To Le Mans In 2016

lets see if the 6-banger can run 24 hours

FYI, the Ford Ecoboost six cylinder has already won the 2014 12 hrs at Sebring and the 24 hrs at Daytona this year.

lets see if the 6-banger can run 24 hours

FYI, the Ford Ecoboost six cylinder has already won the 2014 12 hrs at Sebring and the 24 hrs at Daytona this year.

What mhr said. You've got to remember the engine in the new Ford GT is derived from the engine that has been running in the Daytona Prototype IMSA class vehicles. It's got track time.

The driving team, on the other hand, not so much, especially in the European circuit.

That was in a TOTALLY different car!

Also, don't mistake Sebring or Daytona for Le Man

I want FORD to come back and kick ass I'm just not supporting that eco-boost crap. If that is the engine you want fine but I want a choice and don't want the eco-boost shoved down our throats

I also don't get why Ford put the 4-banger eco-boost in the Mustang and not the 6-banger? A Mustang with a 4 cylinder is like a horse with his jewels just cut off

A Mustang with a 4 cylinder is like a horse with his jewels just cut off

True, and exactly the same big mistake Ford made in 1975 with that trashy Mustang II debacle.

True, and exactly the same big mistake Ford made in 1975 with that trashy Mustang II debacle.

Fairly certain this is about Ford making an epic return to LeMans which is arguably the greatest and most challenging race in the world. Let's stay on topic...... shall we?

What mhr said. You've got to remember the engine in the new Ford GT is derived from the engine that has been running in the Daytona Prototype IMSA class vehicles. It's got track time.

The driving team, on the other hand, not so much, especially in the European circuit.

Indeed you are correct. And the Ford Ecoboost 6 won Daytona in convincing fashion. No worries getting that powerplant to last 24 hours regardless of what frame it is pushing around the track. Personally, I am so freakin' excited I'm doing cartwheels. This is one of the coolest stories in motorsport history. The comeback of a legend 50 years later. Isn't Joey Hand going to be one of the drivers? He did quite a bit of racing in DTM. And Scott Pruitt is no slouch.... I'm betting the car and the team will not only finish the race, but also be very competitive. A podium finish is definitely in reach. I'm looking forward to the GT running against the Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari and BMW in IMSA as well. Its going to be great to see the blue oval supercar on track again! :)

Debacle? The Mustang II is what SAVED the Mustang Program.

Debacle? The Mustang II is what SAVED the Mustang Program.

I owned one, the worst car I ever owned and it put me off buying Mustangs until 2001. SVT saved the Mustang.

But back to the topic, I guess Ford has no cars in this year's LeMans? I notice as of now, with the race almost done, that Porsche and Audi have the top 5 positions, with Corvette winning the GTE-Pro class.

Speaking of LeMans.... just got back to the house and my stupid DVR did not record any of the freakin' race!!!!! :gaah:

I owned one, the worst car I ever owned and it put me off buying Mustangs until 2001. SVT saved the mustang.

Same here. I bought a new 1977 t-top with the V-6. Worst engine I ever had in a car. I also did not buy another Mustang until 2001. It was a Bullit edition.

Edited by slygray1

But back to the topic, I guess Ford has no cars in this year's LeMans? I notice as of now, with the race almost done, that Porsche and Audi have the top 5 positions, with Corvette winning the GTE-Pro class.

There are no Fords in 2015. The new Ford GT will not be ready until next year. The IMSA Daytona Prototype car is not production so would have had to run in LMP-1, which is not somewhere they would want to go since they wouldn't stand a chance against the electrics.

Edited by twobjshelbys

So which class will they compete in, or has it been determined yet? Oops, just noticed they will be in the same class as Corvette is this year, now that will be a race!

Edited by mikeljgt500kr

So which class will they compete in, or has it been determined yet? Oops, just noticed they will be in the same class as Corvette is this year, now that will be a race!

GTE class is the target. The class is divided into amateur and pro depending on team sponsor and drivers, so obviously Ford will be in GTE Pro.

GTE requires homologation (sales of street cars) whereas the next class, LMP is for experimental and would not. The street cars being produced are for homologation.

Edited by twobjshelbys

This will be something I look forward to seeing; a lot of people are missing the genius behind Ecoboost and the engine in this car - it extends beyond the limitations of engineering and incorporates very serious science, I guess is why I love it. No, its not a v8, and a Viper fan could say that about v8's by the way, but the v6 allows a lot of weight balancing and of course its lighter. And yes, I would love to see an Ecoboost v8, but then there's no "eco" left in that boost. :hysterical: - which is of course fine!

I still don't know how many units they plan to produce, and how I wish I could say I could have one. Either way I would imagine they will be putting out the cars required to get into GTE.

2016 Le Mans - this is going to be fun to watch what Ford brings to the show, I hope it is 1966 all over again!

I wonder how many Ford GT's will be entered and how many will be sponsored by Ford.

Auto blog says it's going to be a 2 team 4 car effort to be sponsored by Ford.

What engine did they use ?

My guess would be a 5.2 flat plane crank "VooDoo" motor, with some sort of forced induction !! Edited by cmcmotorworks

Ford is switching from Ecoboost V6 to V8's for LeMans GT Racing.

http://www.hotrod.com/news/1604-ford-gt-switches-from-ecoboost-v6-to-v8s-for-le-mans-racing-program/

That's a April Fools Bulls*** piece.

Now in addition to the original posts we'll have people finding them for another week.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Keep it in perspective, let us not forget the totality of circumstances ...that affected the industry as a whole during the OPEC reign and emission regulation years! All muscle cars suffered.

:backtotopic: