MississippiMustang

Does Changing From Stock To Colder Plugs Require New Tune?

Alright, so my gt500 has: headers, exhaust, intake, 2.6" aftermarket pulley, and a tune of some sort (idk what kind, I got the car like this.) I just discovered that although it's pulling 12 lbs boost right now, it's still running the plugs that came in it from the factory. I'm gonna put some NGK TR6's in it, and I've gathered from this forum that I should gap them .035".

However, does this change require re-tuning? I sure hope not.

Any help would be appreciated1

Alright, so my gt500 has: headers, exhaust, intake, 2.6" aftermarket pulley, and a tune of some sort (idk what kind, I got the car like this.) I just discovered that although it's pulling 12 lbs boost right now, it's still running the plugs that came in it from the factory. I'm gonna put some NGK TR6's in it, and I've gathered from this forum that I should gap them .035".

However, does this change require re-tuning? I sure hope not.

Any help would be appreciated1

They probably should have been changed to a cold plug when they did the pulley & tune .

They probably should have been changed to a cold plug when they did the pulley & tune .

I concur. Both times I did it it was part of the upgrade. Check to be sure what plugs you are running.

Colder plugs are recommended to be safe when increasing boost. You don't need to change the tune for the plugs. Companies selling Stage 2 kits and above include the colder plugs. My Evolution Performance kit recommended the NGK TR6 plugs. Fred said gap them .032.

i dont know about that. i ran a pulley and tune on an eaton with stock plugs without any issues. i asked a reputable tuner if it was necessary and he said no. none of the ford racing supercharger upgrade kits require a change either.