Sign in to follow this  
Z-man

Original Bill Neale Artwork For Sale

I recently purchased a print of a painting done by Bill Neale, depicting Carroll Shelby driving his #98 Maserati. The print is signed by both Bill Neale and Carroll Shelby.

Neale%201_zps4dmyfbda.jpg

Neale%202_zpsitdvwug9.jpg

In attempting to determine the authenticity of the signatures, the seller provided background on how they came into possession of the print….

They were friends with Bob Schroder, who also drove for Maserati in the early 1960’s. Bob went on to gain some success, and competed in the Formula 1 series. Bob was also a partner with Carroll in his tire business, distributing Goodyear tires in the south region.

At some point Bob became friends with Bill Neale (most likely through their common association with Carroll). There was even a story about the three of them traveling on a train to Modena, Italy, to purchase one of the Maserati’s. Carroll was passing around a bottle of Whisky, and at one point was hanging out of the window of the train enjoying the fresh air, when the train passed very close to a pole. The bottle was smashed out of his hand as they passed the pole, but Carroll was uninjured. The group was scared to death! I only wish someone knew what Carroll’s next words were, as I can only imagine.

When Bob passed away in 2011, the seller inherited some of Bob’s racing memorabilia, including some prints and artwork that Bill Neale had done. The seller has sold off the prints, but has three original pieces they are offering for sale.

The first is a charcoal drawing of Bob driving his Maserati, possibly from a race at Sebring in 1961. The artwork is signed, and is framed/matted. The artwork is approximately 13.5” by 14.5”, and the overall framed size is 20” x 22”. Priced at $1000.

021_zpsg1uixlrf.jpg

2015091795112354_zpshosz6fxp.jpg

The second is also a charcoal drawing, this one showing Jim Hall in the front, and Bob right behind him, possibly from the Mexico Grand Prix or Sebring (hard to tell, and Bill didn’t recall). This is also signed, framed/matted. The artwork is approximately 19” x 15”, and the overall framed size is 22” x 26”. Priced at $1000.

023_zps4ka17qwm.jpg

2015091795112321_zpsdr1tol2u.jpg

2015091795112318_zpsghb3c5d4.jpg

The third piece is the most impressive of the three. It is a watercolor of an Audi V-12 TDI, from 2006. It is signed (front and back), framed/matted, The artwork is approximately 10” x 13.5”, and the overall framed size is 17” x 21”. Priced at $5000.

026_zpsz1shf0xt.jpg

2015091795112612_zps1jioimen.jpg

029_zpsrebq45zg.jpg

If you are interested in adding one, or more, of these pieces of art to your collection, please PM me via Team Shelby, and I will be happy to put you in contact with the seller.

Ps – My print was the last one of five copies that the seller had. The print is slightly soiled and has some dirt/grease stains on it, mostly noticeable in the area that will be covered if I mat and frame it. I asked how the print became dirtied, as was told that for a long time the stack of prints (mine must have been the top one), just sat out on an old bench in the shop that Bob had. At some point the prints were moved for safe keeping, but not before the top one got a ‘patina’ of shop grime on it . The shop in question was the original Carroll Shelby Sports Cars shop in Dallas, which Carroll opened in 1957 with backing from Texas oilman Dick Hall, who was the brother of Jim Hall (the Jim Hall in the second charcoal print described above).

Z-man

• Like 1

Guest Edward C Rose lll

Hello. My name is Edward C Rose lll. Bill Neale is my great uncle. He gave me a print in or about 1957 when I was 10. It is in mint condition, framed and signed by Bill and Carroll. It’s not for sale , but curious what the value might be. 

On 9/18/2015 at 2:52 PM, Z-man said:

I recently purchased a print of a painting done by Bill Neale, depicting Carroll Shelby driving his #98 Maserati. The print is signed by both Bill Neale and Carroll Shelby.

Neale%201_zps4dmyfbda.jpg

Neale%202_zpsitdvwug9.jpg

In attempting to determine the authenticity of the signatures, the seller provided background on how they came into possession of the print….

They were friends with Bob Schroder, who also drove for Maserati in the early 1960’s. Bob went on to gain some success, and competed in the Formula 1 series. Bob was also a partner with Carroll in his tire business, distributing Goodyear tires in the south region.

At some point Bob became friends with Bill Neale (most likely through their common association with Carroll). There was even a story about the three of them traveling on a train to Modena, Italy, to purchase one of the Maserati’s. Carroll was passing around a bottle of Whisky, and at one point was hanging out of the window of the train enjoying the fresh air, when the train passed very close to a pole. The bottle was smashed out of his hand as they passed the pole, but Carroll was uninjured. The group was scared to death! I only wish someone knew what Carroll’s next words were, as I can only imagine.

When Bob passed away in 2011, the seller inherited some of Bob’s racing memorabilia, including some prints and artwork that Bill Neale had done. The seller has sold off the prints, but has three original pieces they are offering for sale.

The first is a charcoal drawing of Bob driving his Maserati, possibly from a race at Sebring in 1961. The artwork is signed, and is framed/matted. The artwork is approximately 13.5” by 14.5”, and the overall framed size is 20” x 22”. Priced at $1000.

021_zpsg1uixlrf.jpg

2015091795112354_zpshosz6fxp.jpg

The second is also a charcoal drawing, this one showing Jim Hall in the front, and Bob right behind him, possibly from the Mexico Grand Prix or Sebring (hard to tell, and Bill didn’t recall). This is also signed, framed/matted. The artwork is approximately 19” x 15”, and the overall framed size is 22” x 26”. Priced at $1000.

023_zps4ka17qwm.jpg

2015091795112321_zpsdr1tol2u.jpg

2015091795112318_zpsghb3c5d4.jpg

The third piece is the most impressive of the three. It is a watercolor of an Audi V-12 TDI, from 2006. It is signed (front and back), framed/matted, The artwork is approximately 10” x 13.5”, and the overall framed size is 17” x 21”. Priced at $5000.

026_zpsz1shf0xt.jpg

2015091795112612_zps1jioimen.jpg

029_zpsrebq45zg.jpg

If you are interested in adding one, or more, of these pieces of art to your collection, please PM me via Team Shelby, and I will be happy to put you in contact with the seller.

Ps – My print was the last one of five copies that the seller had. The print is slightly soiled and has some dirt/grease stains on it, mostly noticeable in the area that will be covered if I mat and frame it. I asked how the print became dirtied, as was told that for a long time the stack of prints (mine must have been the top one), just sat out on an old bench in the shop that Bob had. At some point the prints were moved for safe keeping, but not before the top one got a ‘patina’ of shop grime on it . The shop in question was the original Carroll Shelby Sports Cars shop in Dallas, which Carroll opened in 1957 with backing from Texas oilman Dick Hall, who was the brother of Jim Hall (the Jim Hall in the second charcoal print described above).

Z-man

Looking at all my items I have signed by Carroll some as far back as early 80`s they are a bit different than the one you have . Carroll always drew a line with two ticks through it, seemed to be his trait.

1 hour ago, shelby001 said:

Looking at all my items I have signed by Carroll some as far back as early 80`s they are a bit different than the one you have . Carroll always drew a line with two ticks through it, seemed to be his trait.

If you have CS autographed memorabilia from the 1980's with two hash marks under the signature I would politely suggest you have a problem with the signature.

Steven

On 4/13/2019 at 4:02 PM, SAI-Steven said:

If you have CS autographed memorabilia from the 1980's with two hash marks under the signature I would politely suggest you have a problem with the signature.

Steven

Sorry may have not explained it properly the signatures have a line under the signature with two hash marks or ticks running vertical through the line.  

14 hours ago, shelby001 said:

Sorry may have not explained it properly the signatures have a line under the signature with two hash marks or ticks running vertical through the line.  

I believe you explained it properly and if you have an item from the 1980's with a signature like the one depicted below with a line and two hash marks, I again politely suggest you have a problem with the signature.

Steven

CS Autograph.jpg

On 4/17/2019 at 10:21 AM, SAI-Steven said:

I believe you explained it properly and if you have an item from the 1980's with a signature like the one depicted below with a line and two hash marks, I again politely suggest you have a problem with the signature.

Steven

CS Autograph.jpg

Whoops try 90`s. Why didn`t Carroll do it the 80`s?

Edited by shelby001
  • Confused 1

Looking at my signed pieces, the under score with the two verticle lines (possibly a styled middle initial H) appears to start around the time of the donations-for-signatures [program in the 1990s with Shelby Heart Fund, currently known as the Carroll Shelby Foundation.   Steve may have more on the transition of CS signatures.😎

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

Looking at my signed pieces, the under score with the two verticle lines (possibly a styled middle initial H) appears to start around the time of the donations-for-signatures [program in the 1990s with Shelby Heart Fund, currently known as the Carroll Shelby Foundation.   Steve may have more on the transition of CS signatures.😎

Ya thats what I`am thinking but I will find out as I have a  watercolour  print by Bill Neale signed by Carroll with me in the photo when he signed it , just got to look it up .   I also have my daughters stuffed snake toy that he signed while he was walking around a SAAC convention & I know for sure that was in the  80`s .   

Edited by shelby001
  • Thanks 1

Hey Guys, I don’t know if this very large Shelby “Heart Fund” print that I got as a present from my wife quite a while back will help in your dilemma with the Signatures, but I’ll post it any way!!!      Later Guys!         “GOOSE”     :peelout:

IMG_0870__1555640013_86847__1555640013_90587.jpg

14 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Guys, I don’t know if this very large Shelby “Heart Fund” print that I got as a present from my wife quite a while back will help in your dilemma with the Signatures, but I’ll post it any way!!!      Later Guys!         “GOOSE”     :peelout:

IMG_0870__1555640013_86847__1555640013_90587.jpg

Goose what year was that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shelby001 said:

Hey Tim, I had my wife try to find out when she bought it for me, but she didn’t remember, nor do I !  I’ve been lucky enough to be married to a real car lady who understands what a guy like me really likes!   Over the years she has bought many very cool car stuff and memorilbila, so that helps in making it very hard to remember the what and when  factor on all the cool gifts of the past!!   But, there is one exception to this!!!   I’ll never forget the “Super Cool” present that she got me for my “55TH” Birthday, a very cool looking 2003, 100TH Anniversary, Harley Fat Boy, Black, solid billet Aluminum wheels, Vance & Hines Custom Big Shot Exhaust!!  She couldn’t find one locally so she had it delivered out of Texas!!   Now in (My Book) that’s one “special lady” and present, so you can understand why I remember that one!!!   :thumbsup:

Hey Tim, just a F.Y.I. for ya if this helps!   The print number is 199 out of 500 made!      And I’m not totally sure, but you probably know that I think his “Heart Fund” started around 1993!!!    Also I’m posting a better  and closer pic of Carroll’s signature for ya to see!     Hope this helps, and good luck with your findings!!    Later Tim!  “GOOSE” :peelout:

'

IMG_0987__1555700108_99474.jpg

Edited by Mongoose

22 minutes ago, Mongoose said:

Hey Tim, I had my wife try to find out when she bought it for me, but she didn’t remember, nor do I !  I’ve been lucky enough to be married to a real car lady who understands what a guy like me really likes!   Over the years she has bought many very cool car stuff and memorilbila, so that helps in making it very hard to remember the what and when  factor on all the cool gifts of the past!!   But, there is one exception to this!!!   I’ll never forget the “Super Cool” present that she got me for my “55TH” Birthday, a very cool looking 2003, 100TH Anniversary, Harley Fat Boy, Black, solid billet Aluminum wheels, Vance & Hines Custom Big Shot Exhaust!!  She couldn’t find one locally so she had it delivered out of Texas!!   Now in (My Book) that’s one “special lady” and present, so you can understand why I remember that one!!!   :thumbsup:

Hey Tim, just a F.Y.I. for ya if this helps!   The print number is 199 out of 500 made!      And I’m not totally sure, but you probably know that I think his “Heart Fund” started around 1993!!!    Also I’m posting a better  and closer pic of Carroll’s signature for ya to see!     Hope this helps, and good luck with your findings!!    Later Tim!  “GOOSE” :peelout:

Goose

'

Hey Goose

I have solved what was bothering me about the signature took me awhile to find the stuffed toy snake that my daughter had signed when we were at a SAAC convention in the 80`s, but with help from the wife we found it. The tag on it was signed by Carroll  on front & back & it is just his signature with no lines or tick marks on either. So  I assume what Steve`s point was anything signed with the line & hatch marks were when  he started the Carroll Shelby Heart Foundation. So my Bill Neale water painting would have been early 90`s . 

OH that print you posted I have that  one also  #21/500 .

Edited by shelby001
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, shelby001 said:

Hey Goose

I have solved what was bothering me about the signature took me awhile to find the stuffed toy snake that my daughter had signed when we were at a SAAC convention in the 80`s, but with help from the wife we found it. The tag on it was signed by Carroll  on front & back & it is just his signature with no lines or tick marks on either. So  I assume what Steve`s point was anything signed with the line & hatch marks were when  he started the Carroll Shelby Heart Foundation. So my Bill Neale water painting would have been early 90`s . 

OH that print you posted I have that  one also  #21/500 .

Hey Tim, happy to here it’s all solved and everyone is happy with the outcome!!     I also have a very old check signed  by Carroll when he was just starting out, and it’s in mint shape, another present from my wife!    I’ll dig it up to see his signature from back in the day, and probably post it on here for you all!       P.S. Just curious, what do you think those prints are worth today??                    Later Tim!                 “GOOSE”       :peelout:

4 hours ago, shelby001 said:

The Shelby Heart Fund was started in 1991 so I'm guessing that fund raising print came a year or two later.

Steven

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

The Shelby Heart Fund was started in 1991 so I'm guessing that fund raising print came a year or two later.

Steven

Thanks!    :thumbsup:           Hey you guys, I found the cancelled check from Shelby American Inc., 1042 Princeton Drive, Venice,California and it was made out to the order of Kovakar company on March 22, 1963!    This is a very good example of how Mr. Shelby signed his signature back in the day!!   I think this check is a pretty cool piece of “History” that was signed and touched by the “LEGEND” ,  Mr. Carroll Shelby!!!      :salute:       I’m posting two pics of the check, and one will focus on how he signed his signature back in the day!!!    :)            It’s been “Fun” guys!          Later!       “GOOSE”     

IMG_0991__1555718851_92016.jpg

IMG_0989__1555718711_84880.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this