Roger Waring

Side window scoops on a GT-H

I was thinking of installing side rear window scoops on my GT-H. I value the opinions and thoughts of many on the forum.

In the past I have owned a lot of limited edition type automobiles. I had always kept them as factory original except for radios and some wheels and tires, with always keeping the original equipment.

Putting side window scoops will definitely change the appearance. I'm wondering if this addition will cheapen the look or be a great addition. The second part is, if it is a enhancing addition what type would look the best. I see a lot of different styles on the market. I would want one that would compliment the rear quarter panel stock side scoops

I would leave the windows as they are. They are there for a good reason. One of the major improvements when they did the original '66 GT350 was to remove those air extractors and put in some visibility. It made a world of difference, and it still does today. On a black car, it isn't that noticeable anyway, so I'd leave it alone. Feel free to add some darker tint to all the glass if you wish. It helps keep things comfy and it looks pretty darn cool, too.

hertztint.jpg

You might be right. The scoops would have to be a perfect match to compliment the lower side scoops, and I have not seen one yet that really would look good in my taste. The darker window tint I think would look good and might get that done. They are beautiful cars.

I would leave the windows as they are. They are there for a good reason. One of the major improvements when they did the original '66 GT350 was to remove those air extractors and put in some visibility. It made a world of difference, and it still does today. On a black car, it isn't that noticeable anyway, so I'd leave it alone. Feel free to add some darker tint to all the glass if you wish. It helps keep things comfy and it looks pretty darn cool, too.

hertztint.jpg

Troy, I have to ask, are you ever going to mount the CS69's? Back on topic, I agree "no window scoops IMO". That said, the ones that were used for the early SS package if you must. Sorry I do not know the brand SA was/is using.

Edited by H0050

I went with the Shelby black out plates on mine. But that went with the darker look that I was looking for. I agree with you, I haven't seen any window side scoops yet that don't stick out to far for my taste.

RMMR2013054_zpse0def1fc.jpg

Personally, I"m a leave it looking stock guy on limited edition cars. However, I did tint the windows. But, it's your baby, do what you want.

Check out how the owner of #56 personalized his pride and joy. Not my cup of tea, but he was thrilled with the new look...

For more photos https://captaindanphotography.smugmug.com/CarsHotRodsandRacing/Shelbys-and-Mustangs/06H0056/i-GZqfqbD/A

post-28823-0-42991600-1447247006_thumb.jpg

I agree with Dan206. It's your GT-H do what makes you happy. I like mine all stock and that's the way I'm keeping it.

Edited by phyllis
  • Like 1

Personally, I"m a leave it looking stock guy on limited edition cars. However, I did tint the windows. But, it's your baby, do what you want.

Check out how the owner of #56 personalized his pride and joy. Not my cup of tea, but he was thrilled with the new look...

For more photos https://captaindanphotography.smugmug.com/CarsHotRodsandRacing/Shelbys-and-Mustangs/06H0056/i-GZqfqbD/A

Dan in one of the pics is the Sirius head unit powered by the cord? And how did he/she make the Sirius unit connect to the radio?

Everyone is different ,but I installed flush mount on my 2007 SGT and I love the look. As long as it can be put back to stock...no harm no foul!!

DSC00492

DSC00494

Everyone is different ,but I installed flush mount on my 2007 SGT and I love the look. As long as it can be put back to stock...no harm no foul!!

Not for me however, those are nice and clean. Good choice!

Regarding 056 and the Sirius set up, I don't know. I've only seen the car that one time and didn't ask about it then.

The only way you'd know 056 is a Hertz car is the slightly worn engine bay plate and dash plaque. The Hertz badge on the fender is gone, hood and engine treatments are different, front grille, taillights, rear window louvers, etc. Almost a complete transformation. Exterior-wise, the only giveaway is the GT-H rocker stripe, but even that doesn't necessarily mean it's a true GT-H. :shrug:

That's one thing I like about the window plates on my car. They are just double sided tape. Nothing on my car can't go back to stock within a few hours. Other than the paint and engine of course. Nothing will bring the original engine back seeing as it was split in two and just about all the cylinder walls imploded. But of course, nothing special about the original 4.6. I guess it would not be a bad idea to source a date coded 4.6 and put away somewhere.

JeffJ, Don't bother. I got back and forth between mods/stock and future stock ease of transformation. It's likely all just a waste of money and time. I don't think our particular cars should ever attempt to go back to stock. There are already enough examples of those and they are all the same. Many / most of them are sitting in a collection with hesitant owners who fear messing with future value and won't even drive them. Your car is unique. Celebrate that -- You certainly are enjoying it. Who cares about the "next guy". Since when did a rental car ever become concerned with the "next guy" mentality?? (:

You're right. In fact, the 66 that I'm working on getting, hopefully in the next year, is no where near stock. It has been used, abused and raced it's entire life. I however still want it badly and will hopefully get it. Then I'll have one of each that are modified!

I will serve up an interesting alternative....

I always thought if I bought a GT-H, I'd install a pair of silver 1/4 window trim like it seemed to me the '66 cars had...no?

Love the look!! Someone here on TS has to have done a set of these??? :headscratch:

I can't remember who makes 'em now......my old memory ain't what it used to be! :lol: Plus this new computer won't allow me to attach pics anymore.

Sux get'n old!

Maybe someone can post a pic for me of what I am talking about?

I will serve up an interesting alternative....

I always thought if I bought a GT-H, I'd install a pair of silver 1/4 window trim like it seemed to me the '66 cars had...no?

Love the look!! Someone here on TS has to have done a set of these??? :headscratch:

I can't remember who makes 'em now......my old memory ain't what it used to be! :lol: Plus this new computer won't allow me to attach pics anymore.

Sux get'n old!

Maybe someone can post a pic for me of what I am talking about?

Shelby Ebay store: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-Ford-Mustang-Quarter-Window-Exterior-Trim-Polished-Finish-/191579260836

Edited by H0050

That's a great price ..... Even with the freight.

Nice upgrade on certain S197's imho.

I have FOOSE Stallion scoops on my 500.

Edited by BIKEBOY