comet78

Signed Airbag Cover

I buy and sell a lot of signed Shelby memorabilia. His signature on the items I personally had him sign are all a little different (more then 50 items), but I have never seen one like this. I would call it a fake.

I would have to agree with GR40 that this is a fake signature as I have several personal signatures of Carroll`s dating as far back in the 80`s not one looking close to that one. JMO

I have to agree with all of you too. I .have never seen Carroll's autograph signed over the seam of the airbag cover. That and the way the letters are written in almost a calligraphy style makes me very suspicious.

I found this on eBay for sale, is it just me or does this look like a fake autograph?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262226409301?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

While not the best looking autograph I see nothing that makes me say "fake".

You have to keep in mind that Carroll had good days and bad days when it came to autographs and I've seen worse ones than this one. Depending on the number of items Carroll signed at one sitting this cover could have been signed late in the day after many, many, autographs. There were of course other factors that came into play with Carroll's autographs not looking the best but there's no need to go there. Personally I was always amazed that Carroll was able to autograph as many items as he did as I get cranky at the dealership when the F&I person has me sign my name multiple times.

Steve

While not the best looking autograph I see nothing that makes me say "fake".

You have to keep in mind that Carroll had good days and bad days when it came to autographs and I've seen worse ones than this one. Depending on the number of items Carroll signed at one sitting this cover could have been signed late in the day after many, many, autographs. There were of course other factors that came into play with Carroll's autographs not looking the best but there's no need to go there. Personally I was always amazed that Carroll was able to autograph as many items as he did as I get cranky at the dealership when the F&I person has me sign my name multiple times.

Steve

You could be right but I have been at a lot of conventions & SAAC meets that Carroll signed items for hours & looking at some of the items he signed he was very consistant in his signature. JMO

You could be right but I have been at a lot of conventions & SAAC meets that Carroll signed items for hours & looking at some of the items he signed he was very consistant in his signature. JMO

Keep in mind those were probably good days that you witnessed. This cover was autographed in 2011 when there more and more bad days occurring along with Carroll coming into the office less and less which then created a backlog of items waiting for an autograph when Carroll was able to come in.

As much as we all treasure our signed items and as much as we all want to think that the only item signed on a particular day was just our item and that it was signed after Carroll played a great game of golf, things don't always work that way.

Standing back, taking a good look at the overall picture, we should be glad that Carroll was able to do what he did, when he could. With that I would like to say, thanks Carroll for all you did and here's an early 93rd Happy Birthday to you :)

Steve

• Like 2

If you're truly serious about purchasing this and are wondering its real...I would call the foundation in Gardena. I would offer them a donation to verify the number on the certificate of authenticity matches a signed airbag cover

If you're truly serious about purchasing this and are wondering its real...I would call the foundation in Gardena. I would offer them a donation to verify the number on the certificate of authenticity matches a signed airbag cover

Good idea but he is covering up the certificate number in the photo so I emailed him asking for it or if he has the original donation receipt for it.

Covering up the COA # is a trick that is frequently used by people that reproduce the COA and include with fake signed items. i would stay far away from this one! Bids are up to $760...someone is about to get burned!

Cant think of any other reason to cover up the COA. Seems convenient that his thumb is placed over it.

I would stay away from this...

Cant think of any other reason to cover up the COA. Seems convenient that his thumb is placed over it.

I would stay away from this...

Many sellers intentionally cover up or crop out the COA number to prevent others from copying their auction photo that are then used by scammers for a fake auction.

But the number one rule is that if you don't feel comfortable with a seller then definitely move on as you should always trust and go with your gut instinct.

Steve

Good idea but he is covering up the certificate number in the photo so I emailed him asking for it or if he has the original donation receipt for it.

Here is the response I got back from the seller, see below.

With all the copying got around on these I won't give out the number. Sorry if you search on google where you

L find people that were getting numbers and trying to make copy's . Hence why my finger is over the number, if that effects your bidding or interest I apologize but no , I will not give out the numbers, As I am not willing to take the chance of some one making a copy and screwing me over..

So I replied back again asking if she had the donation receipt that was sent back with certificate for the signed airbag cover, see her repose below.

Let me get back to you on that as this was a gift from my boyfriends father to my boyfriend .. Ill see if he has it

I will let you all know if she gets back to me.

Here is the final response back.

He's looking for it , but didn't find it yet , if I know mom it's long gone in the trash ...

Hope this helps anyone thinking about bidding on it, good luck if you do!