ShelbyGT5HUN

Car in Storage? Got the Winter Blues? READ THIS and You Will Forget All About it!

So it's been a dry, cold (11F), warm at times (70 on xmas day)and rainy when it does precipitate, this winter. Usually by mid Nov. the car gets mothballed, but this year I've been waiting for another chance to take the car out. It was 16F, and I decided to go for one more cruise before the snow came a few weeks ago. Never got to drive my GT500 in January before!

Anyway, I have Invos, and I would consider them a 30F and up tire only. I might revise that opinion, but they are not labeled as summer tires. So with the thought of "just a cruise and no horsing around", I went out for a late night, no traffic, no cops, spin for about an hour. After the car warmed up, I decided to goose it in 2nd, WOAH super tire spin. I floored it around 30mph, and it spun the tires like I was on ice.

Ok sort of was expecting that. Instantly, I knew I couldn't go fast, or even think about how I drive in the summer, but is it really that bad? I wanted to hit 100 before parking it. Slowly pull through the gears, and mash it in 4th around 70. WOAHHHH spinning! So I let off at 80mph. I figure if the rear tires are this loose, I probably don't have any grip on the front (already considered that at the beginning, so I wasn't pushing it).

Since I just can't resist, I try 2nd again, with the traction off at 30mph, and WOAHHH, that's pretty scary! I said, if I dare to do that again, I risk crashing the car. So I'm cruising around at 50mph, just enjoying the car, and the fact that I'm even in it in January, made me happy. I knew there would be no launching, roll on pulls, etc. I said if I do that again, I MIGHT CRASH, especially if I have to counter steer, the front tires probably won't grip.

So now with this monkey on my back calling me chicken, otherwise know as my ego, I want to try it again. So right as I am pulling in close to home, I put it in 3rd gear at 25mph, hammer it.... YIKESSS! The road was a little off camber, and the car slid HARD right, with the tires spinning at only 30mph in 3rd gear! Maybe 2000rpms??? Guess what, I almost crashed. Not really, but ALMOST for someone not ready for it. Drove home like a Prius on one AAA. Parked it and laughed.

Basically I have no regrets, depression, sadness, etc. about parking the car for the winter. I always thought, "Well if the roads are clear of salt, and it IS cold out, I could still drive it." I had no idea how DANGEROUS driving on summer tires is at really cold temps. So the car will sit, until warmer days come. So those of you with a mothballed GT500, there is really no fun, and you can't even drive the car anywhere near its potential, when its this cold out. Short of snow tires, due to their super flexible compound, might grip, but you really can't drive this thing even if you wanted to!

How many days til Spring???

Edited by ShelbyGT5HUN

PS a Reische 170F stat WILL warm the car up to operating temperature at 16F, but at cruise the needle moved about one needle-width to the cool side.

Edited by ShelbyGT5HUN

I have that itch too but not at all possible here.

Best I can get is to fire it up, enjoy the Borla tunes for a bit...

post-42677-0-33605600-1453385302_thumb.jpg

No surprise. Your owners manual contains a warning.

And those handling artifacts remain until the tires warm up, so even on a warm summer day standing on it after leaving the garage is not advised... See the video of the guy that hit the truck for more info.

Be careful!

Edited by twobjshelbys

I was surprised how little fun you can have driving this car in the cold. You almost couldn't even commute in it due to the wheel spin. I only drive this car when I feel the need to blow off steam, so to just putt around, just isn't worth it. Having never taken it out when it was this cold, usually because there is already snow combined with the cold, I was surprised that you can't even come within reach of how you drive it in the summer versus the winter.

I'm lucky here in Louisiana, I rarely ever DON'T drive mine, but I did go out once when it was cold,and I won't do it again!!!! So I feel your pain, but on the up side it will be super detailed by spring.