msbmustang

2007 GT500 Needs New Tires

Well it is now time for new tires. Down to the wear bars on the rears and almost on the fronts. Very happy to finally get rid of the Nitto Extremes! Terrible tires.

So I am down to two choices...Continental Extreme Contact DW or Michelin Pilot Super Sports. However it appears the Michelin Pilot Super Sports do not come in the stock 255/285 18" tires.

I mostly just cruise around in my 2007 GT500 (almost 150K miles now) so the Conti's appear to be the best choice but I was wondering before I make this purchase if the forum has any thoughts on these two tires. Also if anyone is using the Michelin PSS tires on a 2007 GT500 with stock rims what size are you using? I have read some people are using 275/18's all the way around?

I spent several hours looking up reviews on line but I trust the opinions given on this forum more than all the other sources put together!!! Being retired now I can't afford to screw this decision up like I did with the Nittos. Had to live with those awful tires the past 3 years...rough ride, terrible on launch and no grip on wet NorCal costal roads.

Thanks everyone for helping me with probably the last tire purchase for my 2007 GT500.

MSBMustang/Mark

I just replaced the original F1's with MPSS's and it is a night and day difference.

Fronts 265/40/18

Rears 295/35/18

No problems with any rubbing and the rear fender is now parallel to the tire.

The tire combo is spot on in my opinion.

I had Continental Extreme Contact DW's on my previous 2011 GT-500 and now have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my present 2014 GT-500. Either is a great tire, especially when compared to the original Goodyear F1's. To be honest, I liked the Continental Extreme Contact DW's better. They seemed to be a little better in the rain although the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are not bad, I'd just felt I had a little better grip in the wet on the DW's. But to most it would be a toss-up and come down to availability or cost.

Congratulations on the mileage on your GT-500, you're my new Hero. I had 43K miles on my 2011 when I sold it to buy my 2014 GT-500. I have 22K miles on my '14 now. Both have been great cruisers and fun to go places in. :shift:

Cobra567 were those 295 MPSS's on the stock 9.5" rims? Did you have to readjust the speedometer with a programmer?

And Bill even though Ford put the first 50K miles on the car at their testing facility in MI (Track/Dyno?) I have greatly enjoyed "My 100k miles!" Your 67k miles in your two Shelby's is close to me! My SVT#12 will be my last performance car so I hope it goes another 100k! I read online somewhere that Shelby's daughter had a 1970's GT350 with 300K+ miles on it! Also your comments about the "Wet" handling are very important to me since I live on the coast and it is wet here at least every other day. The Nitto 555 Extremes I have now are awful on wet roads!...especially since they are just now down to the wear bars front and rear! It is interesting that they have worn equally on the fronts and on the rears!?

Decision between the Conti's/MPSS's has to made in the next couple of weeks. I do like the idea of slightly wider tires in the back but the smooth ride of the Conti's is also a major consideration for(on) my 62 year old body...that is getting a new right titanium hip soon! (Glad it was not the left hip joint that went bad because the 1000HP McLeod Dual Clutch is a bit harder to push on than the gas pedal is with my right foot! :peelout:

Thanks Everyone!

Mark / MSB Mustang

Just curious what Nitto did you have, mine were very smooth, I just replaced them with Hankook and they are smooth also. Can't speak for rain, I don't drive in it with the Stang unless I get caught by accident.

Carnut12,

Mine are the Nitto Extreme ZR 555's

Carnut12,

Mine are the Nitto Extreme ZR 555's

Wow I had those for about 15K miles and they were great, they still had at least another 15-20K worth of tread, but they were almost 10 years old so I replaced them.

I do not think you can go wrong with either of your choices, both are top notch tires!!! Personally for my driving (Mostly weekend fun on regular roads) I would go with the Continental of the 2.

Thumbs up to Michelin pilot super sports. I Installed last summer. The only bummer was waiting 4 months to come off back order

OK I have decided to go with the Continental Extreme Contact DW's. The only question now is size.

Cobra567 muddied up my decision a bit when he said he is running Fronts 265/40/18 and Rears 295/35/18, instead of the stock 255/45/18 and 285/40/18. All of these are available on Tire Rack in the Continental Extreme Contact DW's. I like the idea of slightly larger tires...However I am not sure if the 295/35/18's will fit on the stock 9.5" rims?

The speedometer will be off slightly but I think I can adjust that with the programmer?

So...What does everyone think about Cobra 567's slightly bigger tire setup? The cost difference between the two sets is only $44 for the larger set (funny that the wider rears are cheaper?) and tirerack has all 4 sizes in the Conti's.

Thanks everyone!!!

MSB Mustang / Mark

I don't think you'll have problem going plus+1 on the sizing. I believe I went to 265's up front on my 2011 when I had the DW's also as the 255's weren't available but I did get the stock size was for the rear as it was. A slightly wider tire on the back should help traction too.

Do you guys have any input on grip vs the stock F1's? No complaints with lateral grip but under acceleration they give up way too easily to point of frustration.

My car dyno'd at 530rwhp and 534lb ft so I'm not putting out nearly as much power as some of you but I can't get it to the ground.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I think it's relative and an important consideration given the power of our cars.

I should add that I don't drag race my car, it's a fun weekend car and used for road trips.

Edited by grappamon

Do you guys have any input on grip vs the stock F1's? No complaints with lateral grip but under acceleration they give up way too easily to point of frustration.

My car dyno'd at 530rwhp and 534lb ft so I'm not putting out nearly as much power as some of you but I can't get it to the ground.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I think it's relative and an important consideration given the power of our cars.

I should add that I don't drag race my car, it's a fun weekend car and used for road trips.

Just about anything is better than the F1's unless you do a burnout and heat them up each time you leave the driveway. My neighbors didn't approve so I went with another brand (LOL, J/K). I really liked the Continental Extreme Contact DW's because of the wet grip and it was better in the dry too. When the Michelin Pilot Super Sports were first installed it felt like I had lost 100 horsepower. I hadn't really but the grip was so much better I just didn't get the wheel spin I did with the original Goodyear F1's

Thanks Bill, I wish my tires weren't in such good shape, I may have to go do some burnouts to wear them down so I can justify replacing them. ?

Thanks Bill, I wish my tires weren't in such good shape, I may have to go do some burnouts to wear them down so I can justify replacing them.

I had about 15,000 miles on my 2011 GT-500 and didn't want to go through another wet and rainy winter in the South East. I probably could have gotten 22k to 25K miles out of them but didn't want to take a chance. So I got the Continental Extreme Contact DW's. On my 2014 GT-500 I had hoped the F1's were improved for normal day to day driving in colder of inclement weather. They had not. So after 3,000 miles I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I gave the tires to a friend who autocrosses in a non-Mustang (LOL). He couldn't beat the price (LOL).

OK...I finally got the Continental Extreme Contact DW's from Tire Rack because they were on sale. They were on "clearance special" because they are being replaced with an updated version. I got the older version "4 new tires" for under $550 plus $100 install at a local Firestone!!! I should not have waited until my "AWFUL" Nitto 555 extreme wore out. These Conti's ride smother, are quieter, corner better and don't pull right! No matter how many times we aligned the Nitto's they never when straight when you let go of the wheel. The Conti's went straight right away and we have not even done the alignment yet!

The conclusion is...Nittos "completely suck" and the stock size Continental Extreme Contact DW are incredible! My tires before the Nitto's were the Toyo Proxies and they were very good but 4 years ago Toyo stopped making them in the 285-40-R18's for our rears which is why I tried the Nitto's that were well reviewed...which means never trust online reviews. Just trust the2007-2009 GT500 owners on this forum!

Now I wonder how good the new versions or the Continential Extreme DW's will be?...but I expect these new ones to last quite a while.

Thanks everyone for all the comments on tires for our 2007 GT500's

MSB Mustang / Mark