Sign in to follow this  
Shelby GT

Fuel Pump and PCM

I have a 2008 GT500 with a JLT CAI-Metco pulley mod and SCT tune. It has been running fine and have 30k miles on clock. I leave car for long periods so take battery old and keep charged, On recent return start was a challenge and it fired but very lumpy. On taking to local Ford garage they initially diagnosed a problem with one fuel pump. But after switching the connection to the other fuel pump the same problem occurred with the other fuel pump. They now consider this to be a PCM problem with one feed to fuel pump. I have my car in Slovenia so not a lot of local help and reluctant to change a PCM where I will need to reload the tune? Any ideas would be appreciated.

But after switching the connection to the other fuel pump the same problem occurred with the other fuel pump.

Can you explain what your referring to here? The dual fuel pumps are internal in one unit.

Stngfever, thank you and I understand they diagnosed that one of the two was not pumping which makes sense as when it fired it would only tick over and not take any acceleration. Apparently they then switched a connection from one pump to the other and the 'faulty' pump functioned and the working did not. From this they assume the feed from the PCM was faulty. I hope this helps and appreciate your help.

The second one gets power from a fuse and relay within auxillary relay box which then feeds to fuel pump driver module. I'd check the fuse and relay first.

Shelby GT,

I cant tell you how much grief I have been through in the past 3 months......same exact car same exact year and the exact same problems you are having....1st of all check the obvious things like the fuses as you probably know there is a GT500 specific fuse area to check for the fuel pumps and fuel drivers then verify the drivers and fuel pumps are both functioning if everything checks out then the bad news is that it is the PCM.....I didn't believe it either but that WAS my problem,dont be like me and WASTE a lot of money on parts you don't need AND A NEW PCM, a PCM now looks like an inexpensive part if that had been my only expense......I really feel bad for you but once you bite the bullet and everything is back to normal you will get over the loss.By the way there is a lot of pictures and verbage to help you on this website.

Best of luck,Michael

Thanks so much guys. I will go investigate more and hopefully get to a solution with your solid advice. I will update when I have achieved something.

Finally got the new relay fitted and runs like a dream again. Thanks so much for saving me a PCM and retune.